PDA

View Full Version : iPad lolz

exitspeed
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Apple Special Event Live Blog - Gear story - at IGN (http://gear.ign.com/articles/106/1063635p1.html)

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/106/1063635/apple-special-event-live-blog-20100127110353565-000.jpg
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/106/1063635/apple-special-event-live-blog-20100127110348956-000.jpg
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/106/1063635/apple-special-event-live-blog-20100127102906634-000.jpg

SimpleS14
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
So....what do you think?

I'm not a fan, but then again I was never a fan of tablets.

exitspeed
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
It's basically a giant iTouch. I won't buy one. I don't see a huge need for it if you have a Droid or iPhone.

The name though just cracks me up. It sounds like Apple is getting into feminine hygiene products.

Gnnr
iPad? lol. Sounds like a new tampon. :keke:

Looks quirky, don't think it will sell as well as Apple's other products...the only tablet style device I'd be interested in is the Kindle.

ILoveMyRHS13
Looks fucking retarded.

drift freaq
01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
It will own Kindle. Actually if a person uses their laptop on a very limited basis i.e. browsing the web, reading stuff, checking email and watching movies and TV?. Well it well sell to that person. Large enough screen but compact enough to carry . I am sorry but web browsing on a touch screen phone is not that great. Nor is wathcing vids on a 3.5 inch screen.

I should add that for a traveler that does not need a computer beyond whats listed above, this is much better than lugging around a laptop or having a lame ass netbook. IMO.

Mita Orange
01-27-2010, 12:45 PM
looks terrible. its just a giant version of the ipod touch it has no handwriting recognition, no multi-tasking, no native pdf support, no flash support, no removable storage, no SD slot, no slide out keyboard, no usb, but it does have a bigger battery lol.

BustedS13
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
do not want.

-a touchscreen option for the macbook would have been so much more useful
-why are there six different versions, that's clownish
-this thing is going to spend a lot of time hanging out with Apple TV in the warehouse

drift freaq
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
looks terrible. its just a giant version of the ipod touch it has no handwriting recognition, no multi-tasking, no native pdf support, no flash support, no removable storage, no SD slot, no slide out keyboard, no usb, but it does have a bigger battery lol.

Again you fail at recognizing the market segment its going for. Multitasking could be addressed in software. As could PDF support and flash support.

As far as removable storage,SD slot and slide out keyboard or USB. Look at the market segment its shooting for.

You are basically asking for some features that are more small laptop. Its not that.

Its not meant to be that. Weather or not it works for you is one thing, but from what it sounds like, you are not the customer that would be interested in it in the first place.

With all that said I think it will sell. It will definitely sell much better than Apple TV. As far as a Touch screen for a Macbook goes to add that in with the functionality of the Macbook would completely drive up the cost of the Macbook and you guys would bitch and moan about the pricing of that.

This thread is a typical Zilvia bitch and moan about pricing and features thread and pretty much most Zilvians are very poor market indicators when it comes to purchasing anyways. LOL

LeftNutOfGowd
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
$499 price tag plus another $30 bucks a month for the unlimited AT&T wireless network F THAT ill wait tell tell next year plus you need to buy apps

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/apple-creation-0377-rm-eng.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/apple-creation-0369-rm-eng.jpg

SimpleS14
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Again you fail at recognizing the market segment its going for. Multitasking could be addressed in software. As could PDF support and flash support.

I could have swore Apple and Adobe were beefing over Flash support.

Apple doesn't want Flash to undercut the apps that are available in the app store.

This is what I'm hearing......

theicecreamdan
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
That's pretty neat, a lot of times I find myself wishing my iTouch was bigger.

I won't be having that kind of disposable cash in the very near future though.

Future240
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
I bet those data plans will come to the phones next year.

ronmcdon
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
not really feeling this.
for the price, I'd opt for a smaller laptop.
for the portability, I'd opt for a smartphone (have an i-phone myself).

Does the AT&T plan provide 3g or edge?
If so, i can see some appeal in it being a larger i-phone.
If not, it's essentially a bigger i-touch.
(I hardly ever use wi-fi, so that feature holds no appeal to me)

It's especially unattractive for existing smart-phone users (esp the Iphone).
Apart from the bigger screen, it does not offer much more.
In my experience, the screen size for the i-phone isn't that terribly small.

I see this as a target for 'die-hard' apple users who want the portability of a netbook,
but with a lower price point than apple's $1,000 laptops.

there is a market for this most likely.
it's just not going to appeal to everyone
(but probably enough to sustain profitability).
not my thing, but i'd be intrigued to see it's commercial success plays out.

Really not feeling the direction Apple is taking with their products in general.

LeftNutOfGowd
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
-no multitasking
- no camera
- no calls
- no flash
- $500 for 16GB
- not available for months
- uses some "Apple A4" processor which no doubt sucks ass and which noone can/will develop 3rd party stuff for
- only approved apps
- "iBookstore"
- shitty looking scaled up iphone apps
- 15/month for 250 MEGABYTES OF DATA = "BREAKTHROUGH DEAL WITH AT&T"
egr
wow it is so "magical"

no multitasking really put me down such a let down

LeftNutOfGowd
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos (http://www.apple.com/ipad/)

amdnivram
01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
i doubt it will sell well, it wont have flash support just like the itouch and thus it will fail. Who needs a bigger itouch?

ronmcdon
01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, what the hell is up with those lousy storage space limitations?
16gig is vastly below even netbook standards & on par w/ smart-phones.
how hard could it have been to add memory slots?
even a good deal of mp3 players today allow some level of expandability.

About the Kindle thing, in sense Apple already has that covered.
you can get a Kindle app for the iphone for free.
you just download books anywhere via the 3g and/or edge.
it works fine & I've already read a couple books on it.

sub9lulu
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
should call it i*snip*

apple fanboiz

BustedS13
01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
should call it iSnip

apple fanboiz

uhoh.

bad news comrade

SimpleS14
01-27-2010, 01:47 PM
I think most of us would look at this differently if it was marketed as an e-reader with extra features.

BustedS13
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I think most of us would look at this differently if it was marketed as an e-reader with extra features.

to me, "e reader" suggests e-paper would be present, not a blinding screen

amdnivram
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
i think that allowing for memory up grades or adding memory slots would limit other possible models such as the 32 and 64 gb, im sure adding memory through slots would be much cheaper and it would just eliminate those other models.

exitspeed
01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
i think that allowing for memory up grades or adding memory slots would limit other possible models such as the 32 and 64 gb, im sure adding memory through slots would be much cheaper and it would just eliminate those other models.

Which would be nice from a consumer standpoint. That doesn't quit seem to be the priority though.

ronmcdon
01-27-2010, 02:22 PM

exactly, why would Apple deprive themselves the opportunity of ripping-off customers?
the jump from the 32gig to the 64gig isn't unreasonable for the $100 premium though.

BustedS13
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3877N.jpg

S14_Kouki
01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I dont think it will sell well eather. But if it was just like a computer and did everthing a computer did I would deff buy one. Exitspeed you got to it before me I was going to post this today lol.

flip3d
01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Finally! FLOP!

DALAZ_68
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3877N.jpg

pretty much...

Kuzumi
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
YouTube - Apple iPad - My thoughts & feedback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWaiE3aTNJk) review by someone on a local car forum

HyperTek
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Apple = makes useless products that people go ape shit over every 6 months. lol

watch, Ipad, than Ipad 2nd Gen, than Ipad Nano, Ipad 3rd gen etc.. lol

Gnnr
01-27-2010, 09:21 PM
It will own Kindle.

About the Kindle thing, in sense Apple already has that covered.
you can get a Kindle app for the iphone for free.
you just download books anywhere via the 3g and/or edge.
it works fine & I've already read a couple books on it.

Since I was the one that brought up Kindle I think I should intervene here.

The Kindle and the iPad are NOT targeting he same people or market.

The only thing they have in common is that they are tablets.

Th Kindle aims to be digital paper, basically. The screen is designed to be easy on the eyes and to look like paper.

Any device can read eBooks. Thats not what the Kindle is about...

TheWolf
01-28-2010, 06:51 AM
I needed exactly this device..... with a camera... How the hell am I going to get all those pictures onto it to make those powerpoint presentations on the go. Take my whole photo album with me? Not with 16gig... Email them to myself? If I can do that then I might as well be doing the presentation on the computer I'm doing the email from. Will not buy without a simple camera. 3-5mp will be fine.

Also no one has mentioned it but can all the apps I have for my iphone be installed on my ipad? or do I have to rebuy tigerwoods 2009? what about ingame addons like .99 cents for an extra course that I bought. do those transfer?

LeftNutOfGowd
01-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Also no one has mentioned it but can all the apps I have for my iphone be installed on my ipad? or do I have to rebuy tigerwoods 2009? what about ingame addons like .99 cents for an extra course that I bought. do those transfer?

All the app you have purchase are transferable so dont worry about it

WK2drIylnDw

exitspeed
01-28-2010, 07:56 AM
So I was thinking about this thing last night and realized that the no multitasking feature is what really makes it useless to me.

I was thinking this would be nice to have floating around my house. Maybe to control speakers throughout my house, leave a recipe up on it while I cook, check email, etc etc.

But damn that multitasking thing is just ruining the idea.

LeftNutOfGowd
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
So I was thinking about this thing last night and realized that the no multitasking feature is what really makes it useless to me.

I was thinking this would be nice to have floating around my house. Maybe to control speakers throughout my house, leave a recipe up on it while I cook, check email, etc etc.

But damn that multitasking thing is just ruining the idea.

Same here I was all for it until I found that out I wanted to be able to hear music as I surf the web or type out a report but I guess that wont be happening. Maybe next year if they come out with a update that allows muti tasking and other things like supporting AVI movie files Ill pick it up. It would be so bad ass if it had a hdmi port I would hook up my xbox 360 and take it everywhere lol

exitspeed
01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Same here I was all for it until I found that out I wanted to be able to hear music as I surf the web or type out a report but I guess that wont be happening. Maybe next year if they come out with a update that allows muti tasking and other things like supporting AVI movie files Ill pick it up. It would be so bad ass if it had a hdmi port I would hook up my xbox 360 and take it everywhere lol

Damn, I didn't even think of the music thing. Yeah, even more lame.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM
ipod touch giga. i lol'ed this morning when CNN said their stock was down after the announcement.

tricky_ab
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I can't wait till they make a pocket version of it...I expected a tablet mac that uses OSX. I got this instead? This is just like the macbook air (Great to look at, not very good to use). Until I get to mess around with one, I'm not very impressed (and I'm a mac guy)...

exitspeed
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's a good read.

The Problem with the Apple iPad - apple ipad - Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5458690/the-problem-with-the-apple-ipad?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehack er%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher)

ZilviaKid
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM
i didnt read all that, but i for one think this is a great idea. i dont need a powerful computer. i use my netbook ALL the time, and why not? if i want to play games i play my 360. if it were priced 100 cheaper id grab it for sure. and once they figure out a jailbreak for it i will buy it.

napaKAliboog
01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Hahahahaha what the fudge!!

ronmcdon
01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow, no USB ports either!

SochBAT
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
For that damn price, you could buy a damn EEEPC, throw Mac OS on that bitch (highly optional), modify the LCD screen with a high quality touchscreen interface, and STILL come out like a champ with money saved. You get the best of everything, without the shitface from Crapple.

slamburger
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
There is no such thing as an iTouch. That is all.

SimpleS14
01-28-2010, 07:41 PM
There is no such thing as an iTouch. That is all.

THANK YOU lol

I'm getting tired of people saying "iTouch". I guess saying "iPod Touch" is too much.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I can't wait till they make a pocket version of it

they do. it's called "ipod touch". they even make one that you can take pictures with and call people on. it is called "iphone".

Kuzumi
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
the iPad nano has already been out for a few years.

02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Lemur $2k

iPad $500

GCj9sRGgSF8

lolz

SlideWell
02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
i think its badass, but dont have a real use for one.

kandyflip445
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Wait...does that say you can get the web through AT&T with NO CONTRACT? Am I reading that right?

ronmcdon
02-02-2010, 11:49 PM
no I think it's $30/month for the 3g service.
I believe only AT&T offers this.
Wi-Fi would be no contract I'd imagine.

BustedS13
02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
shit. dj's are going to jerk off on these so hard this year. even though this is not new technology.

02-03-2010, 06:41 AM
not new tech, just much cheaper, and even more so when pc versions come out later this year.

lucky7
02-03-2010, 07:04 AM

its the same as my iphone. you can use the ipod WHILE doing anything else that does not require sound.

i'd buy one of these. i think it would be great for school. textbooks on it, im sure by the 2nd gen they will have (i cant think of the term), but use your finger to take notes on it instead of typing. i honestly dont care about the camera thing, as i have a camera for taking pictures, and my iphone does it. you want to be able to access photos without taking up space on your Ipad?? Flickr and photobucket each have free apps. host your shit from home and access it anywhere. i would love to get magazine subscriptions on it, because not only will they have photos/pictures, there will certainly be video clips. picture the news papers in the harry potter movies (coooool). because im not a big movie person, and dont buy movies ever, the instant movie rental thing is cool. if im on a trip or something, it would be perfect.

my only concern thus far is that it is portable, and has a glass screen. my brothers phone currently looks like this:
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs146.snc3/17341_373901535260_758045260_10277118_5691171_n.jp g

it still works fine, but that would be REALLY expensive to fix on the Ipad.

moral of the story, it will sell because they [Apple] has the ability to market anything to anyone number one. number two, it's becoming one of those companies that when they sway someone, the get a customer for life. and their fit and finish is much higher than most other companies products.

i will admit that i am infact a recent convert. i really cant explain it, but im "hooked". so dont feel bad for me or be upset, because when it comes down to it, im happy. :) im going macbook shopping soon hopefully.

Future240
02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
^What in hell did he do to it? I have dropped my phone plenty of times and my screen has not cracked.

BustedS13
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
^What in hell did he do to it? I have dropped my phone plenty of times and my screen has not cracked.

1.) why can't people hold onto phones? my G1 has not hit the ground once since nov '08
2.) i know two people who have shattered their iPhone screens, one had it in his pocket and banged it into the corner of a table, other one dropped it.

initial_jc
02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
i think this is going to be sick, i need to replace my iphone, since i canceled it because ATT sucks

cleantune
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
When the release of these was announced, I thought Kindle was going under, but maybe not? Google has jumped in the game as well, putting forth an almost mirror image of the iPad.
Google Pad: Search Giant Dreams of Chrome OS-based Tablets - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/188342/google_pad_search_giant_dreams_of_chrome_osbased_t ablets.html)

...Pretty sick idea looks pretty fragile though, haha I cant protect the 2" screen on my phone :]

BustedS13
02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
it's nice to see Google taking the gloves off. I still don't want one, but I'd like to see Google trounce Apple.

kandyflip445
02-03-2010, 11:46 PM
no I think it's $30/month for the 3g service.
I believe only AT&T offers this.
Wi-Fi would be no contract I'd imagine.

I know how data plans work. I sell them. :keke:

The thing I was commenting on was a picture on the first page about "No contract-cancel anytime" and since Wifi isn't something you normally have a contract for I would assume it was referring to the data plan through AT&T. Which would be huge.

The current data plans for netbooks and aircards are $29.99 for 250MB and $59.99 for unlimited data. But for any other device that uses these you have to sign a two year contract. So I was confused to see the "No contract" on there.

Guess I'll have to do some more looking around.

EDIT: Apparently the prices for the Ipad are reduced from other data devices on their network. The 250MB is $15 and the unlimited is $30. It said that in the picture I was even referring to. Guess it didn't sink in. Apparently they're doing it like a prepaid deal where you pay for the month in advance. Which is cool I guess. But the biggest part now, I think, is the price difference. If these are the actual prices ATT is going to charge for the data on this device they should lower their price on the aircards and netbooks. But who know what they will do.

BustedS13
02-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Tosh Destroys an iPad | Tosh.0 | Comedy Central (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=264766&title=tosh-destroys-an-ipad)

slamburger
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Kinda old thread, but now that people have gotten a chance to play around with an iPad...What do you think of it? I love it. The battery last a really long time. You can do a lot of cool stuff on it. But that's just me, i have a lot of Mac products. They sold over a half million of these things the first day...

ronmcdon
04-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I was messing with a wifi only one the other day.
Works out ok as a more expensive alternative to Kindle
(if you prefer reading that way)

its decent as internet tablet,
but the wifi only feature does limit its portability.

Overall i still prefer a regular laptop for the $$$.
If you travel a lot and need something ultra-portable,
I suppose it might work ok for that.
That or some tech guy who thinks $6-800 is chump change.

If somebody gave this to me, i wont refuse it

exitspeed
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
That or some tech guy who thinks $6-800 is chump change.

See this is the type of person I think WON'T buy it. All the techy people know, some Apple Whores some not, like this thing for a casual consumer. If you are a techy person you know the limits of this thing and for the price it's hard to justify. That is the consensus I've gotten from numerous people when we've discussed the iPad.

lflkajfj12123
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
See this is the type of person I think WON'T buy it. All the techy people know, some Apple Whores some not, like this thing for a casual consumer. If you are a techy person you know the limits of this thing and for the price it's hard to justify. That is the consensus I've gotten from numerous people when we've discussed the iPad.

I agree with this. It just won't do all the things I would need it to do, especially at that price.

slamburger
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree with exitspeed as well...but i dont know where all this fuss over the price is coming from? i think its priced fair.

Oh and the 3G ones will be coming out next Friday!

drift freaq
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
My friend got one for his wife. He has been playing with it and loves it. It does email,books, internet browsing pretty decently. They are also making insane apps for it.

KORG, already put out a drum machine app for it for $10 that is just sick.
On top that line 6 made a midi dock for it so you can send and receive midi signal.

Things are just opening up for this with 4.0 software coming in June with multi tasking this thing is going to do 80% of what current laptop users use their laptop for.

In fact I can honestly say it would be great for traveling if you are only needing to do internet email, chat etc..... Plus the books, with pages that turn like a real book and don't look like that old school black and white computer screen shit that's the Kindle.

Oh and it does have word type apps for the people that need to type reports. All in for $500 for the wifi its a interesting device.

I think to many of you expect way to much with your typical computer geek approach. Hell Netbook's are not much better, if at all and a hell of a lot clunkier.

Cnile1
04-22-2010, 02:06 AM
http://img.hexus.net/v2/news/apple/ipad-joke-2.jpg

exitspeed
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree with exitspeed as well...but i dont know where all this fuss over the price is coming from? i think its priced fair.

I don't think it's priced fairly when you compare it to a nice netbook with 3gb ram and a 250gb hd for $500 that does EVERYTHING you will ever need.

TurboSE
04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not a big "tech guy" but this doesn't really impress me.

slamburger
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think it's priced fairly when you compare it to a nice netbook with 3gb ram and a 250gb hd for $500 that does EVERYTHING you will ever need.
I wasn't aware that netbooks have touch screens and zoom and can flip the screen around anyway you want and an App store. ect....

slamburger
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not a big "tech guy" but this doesn't really impress me.
You don't have to be a "tech guy" as stated above by other people as well it seems to be more of a casual consumer product. Even my super tech apple friends like it simply for how cool it is.

drift freaq
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
You don't have to be a "tech guy" as stated above by other people as well it seems to be more of a casual consumer product. Even my super tech apple friends like it simply for how cool it is.

I think you're shouting at walls here.

I made my post just like yours based on what it can do for the average user and what it has to offer.

Most people here just want it be another standard netbook. Though its way different than a netbook.

Its Ideal for a certain area of consumer, it has stuff that netbooks do not.

The argument of it being just a larger Iphone sells it short. Fact is browsing the web on a 3.1 inch screen aka Iphone,Droid,Hero etc.... sucks balls. Truth be told watching video on that shit sucks balls as well.

The Ipad is large enough to do that stuff and have the kind of app functions that make Smartphone's so interesting. Plus it goes farther.

Its a great user experience and so far most people who have picked up Ipad's wind up really liking them.

Most Naysayers really have not touched them or dismissed them from the getgo.

If people don't like them because they don't like Apple, well they are biased and really should not comment.

It's really not a question of being an Apple fan its a question of being open minded enough to see the possibilities.

exitspeed
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I wasn't aware that netbooks have touch screens and zoom and can flip the screen around anyway you want and an App store. ect....

You mean fluff? No they don't have that, but you can run Photoshop, the internet, iTunes, Word etc etc all at the same time.Heck even being able to RUN Photoshop or any powerfull program is FAR more important to me then a touch screen. Touch screens don't help me work on design work on the go. Like I said, if you don't care about tech or power it's fine. Any amount of touching or using won't overcome those drawbacks for ME specifically or the many people I've had this conversation with.

And sales were not that great. They were "brisk" but most stores still had units left at the end of the day.

slamburger
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
But see that's exactly the problem! It's NOT a netbook yet you keep comparing it to one. Bottom line to me is that if you can spend $500 bucks then great if not then don't fuggin get one. I have a Macbook Pro but the iPad to me is still cool even though my Pro blows it out of the water, you're not gonna use a hammer to slice a tomato right? So why try and knock a device that isn't even really designed for something else?

exitspeed
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
But see that's exactly the problem! It's NOT a netbook yet you keep comparing it to one. Bottom line to me is that if you can spend $500 bucks then great if not then don't fuggin get one. I have a Macbook Pro but the iPad to me is still cool even though my Pro blows it out of the water, you're not gonna use a hammer to slice a tomato right? So why try and knock a device that isn't even really designed for something else?

I'm comparing it to other products in it's price range. Bang for your buck. I could care less about Apps and touchscreen. I'm saying for a consumer LIKE ME it's not right. I want a device to do more then just play music and run fart apps if I'm spending that much money. I'm not saying it's not for you. It's not for ME and other people I know with similar backgrounds. IF it multitask, had a bigger hard drive, had a camera for video conferencing, etce etc and do what it already does, then honestly I'd be all over it. Google and Sony, among others have tablets coming out soon and they will be able to multitask. I expect those products to be more affordable and they will better suit my personal needs.

drift freaq
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm comparing it to other products in it's price range. Bang for your buck. I could care less about Apps and touchscreen. I'm saying for a consumer LIKE ME it's not right. I want a device to do more then just play music and run fart apps if I'm spending that much money. I'm not saying it's not for you. It's not for ME and other people I know with similar backgrounds. IF it multitask, had a bigger hard drive, had a camera for video conferencing, etce etc and do what it already does, then honestly I'd be all over it. Google and Sony, among others have tablets coming out soon and they will be able to multitask. I expect those products to be more affordable and they will better suit my personal needs.
Ah Mel a couple of things here. First off the Apps and touchscreen as well as being the best book reader on the market play a big roll in exactly what it is all about.

Oh and to go and say the apps are just fart apps i.e. worthless shows me you have no idea how many absolutely incredible apps there are.

On the multitask front that's exactly a month and a half off. June release date 4.0 software including multitasking.

Hell do not be surprised if by august they have a second gen with a camera.

Having been an Android user for almost two years I can honestly say the Android user experience is seriously lacking regardless of multitasking.

I do not have faith in Google anymore they have proven to be as lame as Microsoft when it comes to software implementation on hardware vs their ability with software on the net.

Apples user experience in this department is so much better and pleasant it almost could go without saying. Millions of Iphone's sold even on a clogged service like ATT speak of that.

Sony is lost in the weeds here as is HP. Apple has actually tackled the tablet situation pretty well. By the time they get their(Sony, HP, Google) products to market Apple will have a better version.

The shit works and works well. Apple is famous for that. Like I said before to many people on this forum want their shit to be all tweakable, disregarding the fact that if the shit works don't fix it.

I personally like my computers, phones and what not to work out of the box right. I avoid all first generation products regardless of brand because of that.

Personally I see none of other manufacturers or software makers doing anything better than Apple. In fact most push out shit thats even worse off to start with.

In the end Apple will have a working product that I can turn on use and not worry about sooner than most.

Windows 7 while quite good is a joke. Its OSX copied plain and simple.

The commercials about it being the customers idea and flaunting stuff that has been in OSX for 5 years is comical.

exitspeed
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Ah Mel a couple of things here. First off the Apps and touchscreen as well as being the best book reader on the market play a big roll in exactly what it is all about.

Oh and to go and say the apps are just fart apps i.e. worthless shows me you have no idea how many absolutely incredible apps there are.

On the multitask front that's exactly a month and a half off. June release date 4.0 software including multitasking.

Hell do not be surprised if by august they have a second gen with a camera.

Having been an Android user for almost two years I can honestly say the Android user experience is seriously lacking regardless of multitasking.

I do not have faith in Google anymore they have proven to be as lame as Microsoft when it comes to software implementation on hardware vs their ability with software on the net.

Apples user experience in this department is so much better and pleasant it almost could go without saying. Millions of Iphone's sold even on a clogged service like ATT speak of that.

Sony is lost in the weeds here as is HP. Apple has actually tackled the tablet situation pretty well. By the time they get their(Sony, HP, Google) products to market Apple will have a better version.

The shit works and works well. Apple is famous for that. Like I said before to many people on this forum want their shit to be all tweakable, disregarding the fact that if the shit works don't fix it.

I personally like my computers, phones and what not to work out of the box right. I avoid all first generation products regardless of brand because of that.

Personally I see none of other manufacturers or software makers doing anything better than Apple. In fact most push out shit thats even worse off to start with.

In the end Apple will have a working product that I can turn on use and not worry about sooner than most.

Windows 7 while quite good is a joke. Its OSX copied plain and simple.

The commercials about it being the customers idea and flaunting stuff that has been in OSX for 5 years is comical.

I actually know of a ton of cool apps. I just threw that one out there because it's funny. ;)

The fact that multitasking and camera is so close is IMO a slap in the face to early adapters. Multitasking obviously is just a firmware update but for the camera it's a whole new unit. I just think it's BS. They should have released a better product to start. I think it would have shut up a lot of naysayers, including myself. Like I said, I would have been a fan of the product if it would have had a few more features. When I first saw this thing I envisioned it floating around my house, becoming a controller for my TV and various speakers around my house, having a recipe up on it while I cook, while playing music, and checking emails. The multitasking JUST kills it for me.

Again, again, again, there is a consumer out there for it. It's just not me the way it sits.

irax
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
until i can watch netflix or hulu or web episodes from the networks this thing is pretty much useless. until there is flash support I wont bother. I can't wait for Microshafts response though, from what I hear its going to pretty neat.

Future240
04-22-2010, 07:27 PM
At the moment I agree with Exit.

Ipad will be cool as fuck later on and probably get my money.

Just not right now.

I will more than likely Use the same strategy I did with the iPhone and wait 3 gen before I pick one up.

ronmcdon
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Well I don't think there is necc a right or wrong answer.
Exitspeed & Drift Freaq make valid points.

if anything, the ipad just isn't for everyone.
I can appreciate the appeal, but I'm happy with my pc desktop, pc laptop & iphone.
I personally wouldn't get an ipad & I absolutely detest netbooks.
(again, just a matter of personal preference, & ultility)

drift freaq
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Ipad will be cool as fuck later on and probably get my money.

Just not right now.

I will more than likely Use the same strategy I did with the iPhone and wait 3 gen before I pick one up.

See I pointed this whole thing out in my post. I stated I try not to adopt any new tech until at least the 2nd gen. Fact is Android has been through several gens and it still sucks. IMO

A lot of software and almost all hardware is this way these days. First version out always has some teething. Though the Ipad already performs well and its only the beginning.

I know for a fact that with 4.0 software which includes multitasking the Ipad will rock. I also know Apples upgrade paths run 6-9 months to year. So you can bet there could be a newer Ipad by late fall.

Fact is having a camera on it does not make or break it for me. While I would like a camera its the deal breaker. Only thing I would use the camera for is skype.

If you are upset about the first one not being good enough in your eyes? Realize that manufacturers have to start somewhere and then improve on the idea.

That goes straight back to the never adopt the first gen of something idea.

Trust me with the way computers and everything are upgraded these days shit is old 6 months to a year after you get it anyways. So to be upset about it is just not realizing you will always be upset.

In other words get over it. Either wait for the next gen or buy it now and enjoy it.

S14DB
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
until i can watch netflix or hulu or web episodes from the networks this thing is pretty much useless. until there is flash support I wont bother. I can't wait for Microshafts response though, from what I hear its going to pretty neat.

Netflix has an app for it. Cause it's a tablet and not a Phone/Mobile device they can stream movies to it.

I have seen the leaks of the HP slate and crap like that. But, until someone ships a TABLET that has all the features or more for the same or less price you can't argue if it's better/worse or over/under-priced. There isn't anything for sale like it (except for that vaporware JooJoo).

Don't compare it to a netbook or laptop. It crams the same hardware in half the space. Until other Tablets come out, it's the killer app.

I personally will be waiting on the competitors to come out. Then it will be interesting how they attack it on features and price. Then compare and contrast.

Future240
04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
^That.

Competion makes better products.

@Drift dreaq

I actually don't care about the camera. As stated above I just want to wait till they have some competion which will force them to make it better. iPhone vs iPhone 3gs.

I am not ragging on people who are early adopters. More power to them.

exitspeed
04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Netflix has an app for it. Cause it's a tablet and not a Phone/Mobile device they can stream movies to it.

I have seen the leaks of the HP slate and crap like that. But, until someone ships a TABLET that has all the features or more for the same or less price you can't argue if it's better/worse or over/under-priced. There isn't anything for sale like it (except for that vaporware JooJoo).

Don't compare it to a netbook or laptop. It crams the same hardware in half the space. Until other Tablets come out, it's the killer app.

I personally will be waiting on the competitors to come out. Then it will be interesting how they attack it on features and price. Then compare and contrast.

I know it's not the same thing. The bottom line is it doesn't do what I want it to do and I think it's too expensive. Well technically it's not too expensive right now because it's the only game in town, but for what it does in MY eyes it's not worth it. I'm ok with looking past the ease of use, touch screen, and calling it a "tablet" for more function and less money.

It's just not for everyone.

upsdude
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
i want one-this would be nice to have as a work tool...but it's just too damn fragile to have in a delivery truck :(

SimpleS14
04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I can't wait for Microshafts response though, from what I hear its going to pretty neat.

Yep, you are talking about Microsoft's pet project.....

The Courier....

pFQWc79TYcU

No official word on when Microsoft will release this in production form.

drift freaq
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Yep, you are talking about Microsoft's pet project.....

The Courier....

pFQWc79TYcU

No official word on when Microsoft will release this in production form.

hmm I see a lot of serious issues with that device production wise. I am not sure about having a folding dual screen. That's pretty much just like a full laptop size wise.

While different a Ipad will do pretty much most all of what they are proposing with that, if not in the next software revision.

Once again Microsoft waits till someone does it right and then attempts to do it. I predict the Microsoft product would fail initially and the only reason it will possibly take off because they have to give it away.

Can we say Xbox all over again. Zune and whatnot.

Not knocking XBOX guys its just you would not be playing stuff on it unless Microsoft gave it away for years to get it going . It was a technical failure in the beginning.

I am not a fan of business models that follow the rule of losing hard in the beginning and giving away tons of product year after year just to get a foothold.

I rather like products that come out and work to start and because of that they sell well.

tricky_ab
04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
KORG, already put out a drum machine app for it for $10 that is just sick.
On top that line 6 made a midi dock for it so you can send and receive midi signal.

Damn it why did I have to read this?!?! I have a friend who drove across the boarder and picked up a few. I'm going to check on out the next time I see him...

exitspeed
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
hmm I see a lot of serious issues with that device production wise. I am not sure about having a folding dual screen. That's pretty much just like a full laptop size wise.

It worked preeeety well with the DS and everyone thought Nintendo was crazy. The PSP was going to destroy it and the DS was going to fail.

exitspeed
05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
iPad One Month Later review on IGN.

The iPad: One Month Later - Wireless Feature at IGN (http://wireless.ign.com/articles/108/1087337p1.html)

But even if the gaming has not been as solid as I had hoped and the lack of Flash support means I still do the majority of my "hard" Internet surfing on my notebook, I remain somewhat amazed by the iPad itself. It really is like touching the elegant future that was promised to us in so many movies. I recently watched Minority Report again and just smiled at the similarity of experiences between Tom Cruise's transparent data screen and the iPad in my lap. We were both accessing a symphony of data with swipes, twists, and taps. Consuming information and entertainment by touching it just feels so much more "human" to me than the point-and-click of a mouse. As the device is updated in the future – both with the upcoming OS refresh that adds critical functionality like multitasking and the assumed next-gen iPad – I expect it to be even more ingrained in my life. But I'll still hold on to my notebook computer for a little while longer, thanks.

Huh...Interesting. Pretty much my thought. Until they fix some of the issues, which he mentions are coming, it's not quit the product it can be.

ronmcdon
05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
It's definitely nowhere near the capability of a notebook computer right now.
I do think it's a great step though.
Rest assured if it does well, you will see comparable products from the competitors soon.

I wouldn't mind owning an iPad if they could throw in a couple of USB ports.
Maybe somehow integrate free VoIP phone calls/texting to replace my phone entirely
Would still keep my PC notebook & desktop, however.

exitspeed
05-07-2010, 07:46 AM
This is the best use fo the device I've seen yet. It's pretty sweet actually.

Video: PadRacer replaces Scalextric with a whole Apple Store's worth of hardware — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/07/video-padracer-replaces-scalextric-with-a-whole-apple-st/)