PDA

View Full Version : Probably moving to California, will I be hassled by the man for driving a low 240sx?

Bushido
01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm applying to college in California, more specifically, Pasadena.

Everyone talks about how bad California is as far as owning a modified car and having to deal with cops/emissions.

My plan is to keep the car registered in FL (maybe in a family member's name?) as to avoid inspection/emissions.

There is probably some sort of law against not transferring the registration, but is this an even semi-feasible idea..or am I going to get pulled over every day and have to get the car inspected?

bardabe
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
your better off just transferring the tittle to California, and making it a track car only. or put it back to stock Engine. or just suck it up and deal with it/. that's what it comes down to. and that is why most of us just have a track car and deal with getting hassled

TravisSW
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
You -can- be harassed for anything in California. Just let it go.

MADE
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Depending on the area, but they way I see it if your looking to get attention you'll get more than enough. If your stickered up, slammed to the ground and have a louder as exhaust with HID'd. I drive daily with tint, exhaust and lowered a bit and have only been pulled over twice, both times I was dead wrong. When Im doing the right thing I can cruise beside local LE and not even worry about it. The plate thing will work maybe twice tops before your caught, seen it in person the judge has heard it all before.

DALAZ_68
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
your better off just transferring the tittle to California, and making it a track car only. or put it back to stock Engine. or just suck it up and deal with it/. that's what it comes down to. and that is why most of us just have a track car and deal with getting hassled

pretty much sums it up

s14_driver
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
i personally think it depends on the cops mood and the time of day cause i can pass by cops and they wont look at me and just let me do my thing and other days they follow me untill i do something wrong like go 1 mph over the limit (i actually did get pulled over for that) just to pull you over

payne219
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I would say keep the car registered else where.

If your rockin a front mount, paint it black. Get a low key exhaust, run both your plates and just cruise.

Ive havent been pulled over once.

Nismentality
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Some pigs are oinking much harder than before! California is money hungry.
i despise the stupid emissions laws in california and not to long ago Obama was reviewing emissions standards in California when the bush administration didnt want to mess with. I guess there are less pros and more cons for the california car enthusiasts.

hOngsterr
01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
well,
keeping your florida plates,
will get you pulled over, i bought my car
from a guy that had it still registered in FL
so i got pulled over sometimes, and the car was basically stock but lowered with the 3 rear windows tinted lol
if your car is modded,
and its the end of the month or beginning
cops are out for tickets,
and as for smog ppl,
if you got friends here talk to them.

but when cops pull you over and your being nice and respectful they'll run your shit, give you warning and let you go.

HyperTek
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
what ethnicity are you?

loosesocksdiff
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
just drive slow homes, pump those brakes. i daily my car and i never get hasseled. and i live in san berghetto.

coww-cho!!!!!
01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
characteristics of how you drive plays a role so dont drive like a dipshit. skim read the cali DMV book to get the jist of it
if you want your car to get attention it will!
it is not as bad as everyone praises it to be just obey the traffic laws,
dont be a dick to the cops.

i have gotten pulled over because the a cop thought i didnt have a front license plate. i told him politely that i had mine relocated to the right and looked over and said alrighty have a nice day.

the second time i had gotten pulled over was because my license plate light bulbs were out(i didnt know) they pulled me over and i just said "i didnt know they were like that" and his partner also said i had an illegal exhaust and i just told them i did not know it was illegal because it looked stock. so they just decided to let me go and asked if i can replace the license plate bulbs.

the third time was because i did the california roll at one of the stop signs near my house and he asked me where i was going and i just said that i was going to my gf's house to pick her up and buy something for my parents anniversary which i really wasnt lol

everyone has there experiences and like s14 driver said it also depends on the cops mood cali drivers arent always the best lol

HyperTek
01-26-2010, 12:02 AM
your car is one color, matching wheels, throw a front license plate and no loud exhaust, and keep decals to a minimum, you will be alright.

DUFFM4N
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
(IVE ONLY READ THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD)

...DONT move to California...

the end

mau5trap
01-26-2010, 12:19 AM
^^ lol at your location.

brndck
01-26-2010, 12:28 AM
both my cars are registered in florida.
i have a fl drivers license.
i've only been pulled over once in the last 2 years (but i drive like a grandma on the streets)
cop couldn't write me up for anything.
i stay in costa mesa when i'm on this coast.
my car is very very very far from stock.

bottom line is there are no guarantees. cops can do whatever they want, and even if they can't make it stick, it can still be a massive hassle/nightmare for you.

HyperTek
01-26-2010, 12:33 AM
but how do you work if you got a fl license?

ericcastro
01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
what ethnicity are you?
lol.
very true since you will be in Pasadena, Glendale and Burbank area it sounds like.

Just post a pic of your car and we will tell you.

Debo
01-26-2010, 12:44 AM
I heard that they are popping hoods in the Bay Area on S13/14's... Impounding if you have a SR20. Anyone else hear that?

bardabe
01-26-2010, 12:56 AM
I heard that they are popping hoods in the Bay Area on S13/14's... Impounding if you have a SR20. Anyone else hear that?

oh no that's totally unheard of never happened to us before what shall we do?!

get yer flamesuit on:trogdor::trogdor::trogdor:

ericcastro
01-26-2010, 01:03 AM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/castro_castro/9-17-09008.jpg
I dont know where all of em are, but I found these.

Don't worry, you'll be fine :)

I LUV MY S13
01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
pasadena is usually chill, just dont bring attention to yourself..such as exhaust, tinted windows, stickers, and you should be fine...ive never had to deal with being lowered, but my tint and exhaust got me unwanted attention, never got a ticket though

nmssr08
01-26-2010, 01:16 AM
(IVE ONLY READ THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD)

...DONT move to California...

the end

LOL!!! that's funny.

brndck
01-26-2010, 01:18 AM
but how do you work if you got a fl license?

i still have a cali drivers license as well, but even if you don't, you can just get a cali id card.

kevmeistah21
01-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Pasadena PD won't give you any problems, just don't drive like a retard.. I've driven along side Pasadena PD all the time and they'll just mind their own business.. What you need to worry about is Glendale/alhambra/san gabriel area, and the sheriffs in altadena lol.

THEN AGAIN, ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN..

Forge_55b
01-26-2010, 03:25 AM
main thing is how your exhaust looks and how loud your car is, wheels and lowness are just frosting on the cake for a cop to pull you over after that, the engine is not the main thing you should worry about when being worried about being pulled over. oh also if you aren't white, you probably are more likely to get a ticket if pulled over

dawagarage
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
everyone is giving good advice. it depends on the person's mood, your driving habits, the appearance of your car, etc. i recently moved to san diego & drive to los angeles on the weekends. my car is pretty low, i have WA state plates (front & rear.) i have yet to be pulled over. police officer's can pull you over for anything. 'they' have pulled people over just to make the car belongs to the person driving it.
my advice is be respectable to whomever pulls you over. make sure you have your ish together, license, insurance, registration. when i pass see or pass 'them,' i step on the clutch (RPMs drop=exhaust becomes quiet,) as well as i put my car in cruise control @ the exact speed limit.

digitalgiga
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I moved my car out here from Colorado and never had a problem. I used California Movers (http://www.zmoving.com/states/CALIFORNIA.html) to move my car here. The moving guy gave me some good advice and told me to keep it registered elsewhere, as long as i had plates on the front and back. hope i can help!

FREDDYS13
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
i live in long beach and i have never been hassled by cops for having a low car .. i have even gotten thumbs up by some the only time they mess with u is when having loud ass exhaust and diffrent color lights like bright colorfull h.i.d s and keep the stickers to a minimum..oo and be a safe driver
this is what i DAILY DRIVE .....
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/sratm/DSC_0315-1-1.jpg?t=1264549515

fcdrifter20
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/castro_castro/9-17-09008.jpg
I dont know where all of em are, but I found these.

Don't worry, you'll be fine :)

hahaha i thot i was the only one with a fileing cabinet full of tickets.

ronmcdon
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
tint & exhaust are the biggest draws to cops.
especially if you have some loud bov going off.

I've gotten pulled over once in 4 yrs of owning my 240,
and that was because of exhaust and tint.
(was super lucky to get away w/ fix-it tickets only)
I need my tint, but I swapped out my exhaust for a more subtle replacement.

Ultimately it's going to be a gamble.
You can do stuff to reduce your chances of getting pulled over,
but you can never guarantee it.
I say just keep your car as sleeper as possible.

Also some areas are worse than others.
The OC/Irvine seems to me like the absolute worst.
The San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley (close to Pasadena) are moderately bad.
West LA, Santa Monica, and Downtown LA seem more laid back.
Hollywood can be hit or miss.

i have been lucky in Pasadena/Atwater Villiage/Burbank/Eagle Rock area so far.

beb
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Leaving it titled in FL only saves you registration fees.. By law, you are supposed to research on your own and abide by any state laws if you enter that state...

As far as getting hassled, Ive never gotten pulled over for the fact that I am modified. I have had no bad experience with cops in my bright red turbo s2k with bright blue wheels..neither in my flat green s14 with bright pink wheels - both cars had pretty loud exhausts too. Cops (IMO) leave you alone as long as youre not driving like a douchebag (riding ass, switching lanes freq etc).

Good luck on your move!

RacerX1
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I moved here in August from Chicago and I was planning to go to PCC as well, too bad that school fucking SUCKS, especially if your an out of state student. I have been there at least 20x in the past couple months just trying to get into classes, the people there are rude and fucking stupid.

Sorry, hadda get some frustration out. I have a SR and have my car registered in IL at my dads house under my name. Ive been pulled over twice for my exhaust and I told both cops [as politely as possible] that I am here for school and havent gotten around to registering it, they understood :cops:. I also know a guy who has had his registered in North Dakota for 5 years now and hasnt had more than a hiccup.

kevmeistah21
01-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I moved here in August from Chicago and I was planning to go to PCC as well, too bad that school fucking SUCKS, especially if your an out of state student. I have been there at least 20x in the past couple months just trying to get into classes, the people there are rude and fucking stupid.

oh really? i got classes perfectly fine and im not rude nor stupid. K thanks <3

RacerX1
01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Let me correct myself, the employees there are fucking stupid.
Denada :)

<3

usdm180sx
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
both my cars are registered in florida.
i have a fl drivers license.
i've only been pulled over once in the last 2 years (but i drive like a grandma on the streets)
cop couldn't write me up for anything.
i stay in costa mesa when i'm on this coast.
my car is very very very far from stock.

bottom line is there are no guarantees. cops can do whatever they want, and even if they can't make it stick, it can still be a massive hassle/nightmare for you.

Just roll like Tyler and you'll be straight.

malemodel69
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Only had my 240 for 7 months, and I drive it like i stole it. Believe it or not, I ran a stop sign in front of a cop because it was raining and there was no way i was going to stop and burn out (up hill on super bumpy pavement). Ran it, he gave me a look of dissapointment and shook his head (no ticket). Another time i was going 70mph on a side street (road rage) and pulled up right behind a cop, he weaved his hand out hte window and took off. BOV went off cruising right next to a cop while he had his window open, got a dirty look but kept cruising next to him and guess what, no ticket. Got followed for miles but since my exhaust looks stock and the RB purrs - didn't pull me over. I just pretend like im driving my POS saturn when the cops are around and they don't bother me. Basically it comes down to this, drive it like you don't care that they are following or are next to you and you should be fine, but once they smell fear you are SOL. I get pulled over in my Saturn more than in the 240 (havent been pulled in the 240 yet)...Ohh, must i remind you, motorcycle cops will ruin your day, unless they are busy they will definitely pull you over (they hate cars).....

Yes, i drive like a douchebag, but even so i don't get fucked with. I've stopped after the 70mph incident, i know my luck will run out if i keep it up. But how can you own a 240 and not drive like you're better than everyone else? HAHA.

ronmcdon
01-29-2010, 01:09 AM
I think that's the worst advice I've heard in a long time.

I would suggest the more or less the opposite.
Be courteous.
If you have to break the law,
at least be discreet & be aware of your surroundings beforehand.

Most of it is luck.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take extra steps to prevent the likelihood of a disaster.

It is really tempting to throw illegal manuevers in LA.
The drivers here in are generally slow & traffic is heavy.
Just please be as careful as possible.

DUFFM4N
01-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Leaving it titled in FL only saves you registration fees.. By law, you are supposed to research on your own and abide by any state laws if you enter that state...

As far as getting hassled, Ive never gotten pulled over for the fact that I am modified. I have had no bad experience with cops in my bright red turbo s2k with bright blue wheels..neither in my flat green s14 with bright pink wheels - both cars had pretty loud exhausts too. Cops (IMO) leave you alone as long as youre not driving like a douchebag (riding ass, switching lanes freq etc).

Good luck on your move!

it helps that you're a girl too :kiss:

thatdrifterguy
01-29-2010, 02:43 AM
wont you have to keep getting it safety checked or something each time you register it with FL?
thats how it works here at least. sorry, might be moving over sometime as well and never thought about these things yet.

YoungGun
01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Don't be a dick when they pull you over.

fckillerbee
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I drive the car in my sig, ka with no muffler (4 inch )...i drive real slow, stay around the 2k rpm level....stop at stopsigns and mind my own business. I have a few stickers on my car, but its your driving that makes the difference. Oh, and bike cops are out for everyone.

pinky121388
01-29-2010, 11:04 AM
dude dont go to cali. everything is all messed up there. go somewhere else. Tree hugging state isnt the state you want to be at. I visited cali and about 3 cars aday were getting pulled over. A few 240s, hondas, and golfs.

usdm180sx
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Ultimately it's going to be a gamble.
You can do stuff to reduce your chances of getting pulled over,
but you can never guarantee it.
I say just keep your car as legit looking as possible. (Front plate, no tint, sleeper exhaust, everything in working order)

Also some areas are worse than others.
The OC/Irvine seems to me like the absolute worst.

This seems pretty accurate. I fixed the part in bold text.

malemodel69
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
This seems pretty accurate. I fixed the part in bold text.

I drive like a douche, but i have a catalytic converter on my car and the exhaust is pretty stock looking - low sound and crappy look. But when its at WOT, the RB roars like a lion. Low profile exhaust helps a lot, its always the ricer civics and integras with big fart cans that i see on the side of the road. You have 2 choices when you move here, sell the 240 and get a regular boring POS car, or keep the 240 and make it LOW PRO.

kevmeistah21
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I drive like a douche, but i have a catalytic converter on my car and the exhaust is pretty stock looking - low sound and crappy look. But when its at WOT, the RB roars like a lion. Low profile exhaust helps a lot, its always the ricer civics and integras with big fart cans that i see on the side of the road. You have 2 choices when you move here, sell the 240 and get a regular boring POS car, or keep the 240 and make it LOW PRO.

you're a douche...

sideview_s13
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Leave it registered out of state is your prime choice. Once you have lived in state and get your CA-ID keep your out of state one as well. pull the out of state one when cops hit you up. Use the instate one when you go out to events and such.

SicBastard
01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
There is a law that says you have to change your liscense and registration over to CA within 6 weeks of moving to CA. But unless a cop recognizes your car they can't prove it. Try and keep the florida reg as long as possible because CA has their own smog stations that people randomly get selected to go to. There is NO getting around these.

MisawaJason
01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow good info. I just got here on Tuesday and was wondering about this stuff

ronmcdon
01-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Wait, what if your permanent address is another state outside of CA?
Say you, or a relative own a house out in OR or something like that.
Can you register your car as an OR car & drive it in CA, without having to register it as a CA car?

Thinking about buying an apartment in Portland, and possibly registering the car there.

Perhaps the OP can register is permanent address under the parents'
Not unreasonable given hes moving to CA just for school.

MADE
01-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Wait, what if your permanent address is another state outside of CA?
Say you, or a relative own a house out in OR or something like that.
Can you register your car as an OR car & drive it in CA, without having to register it as a CA car?

Thinking about buying an apartment in Portland, and possibly registering the car there.

It's not the cops who get you with the plates, its the judge when you appear in court. If you military your good anyone else they judge isn't going to listen cause he has heard it before. I seen this first hand in court. Student, temp jobs in CA over 45 day but you live in state X. He didnt care. Maybe it was out of state plate day I dunno.

RacerX1
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM

This is what I am doing.

I am sure there is a law against it, or at least frowned upon...but if its worth the risk to you then why not? If you keep getting pulled over then the cop is going to write you a ticket and your gonna have to deal with it in court eventually.

MisawaJason
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
It's not the cops who get you with the plates, its the judge when you appear in court. If you military your good werd. Half the cars on base have out of state tags

drift freaq
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
There is a law that says you have to change your liscense and registration over to CA within 6 weeks of moving to CA. But unless a cop recognizes your car they can't prove it. Try and keep the florida reg as long as possible because CA has their own smog stations that people randomly get selected to go to. There is NO getting around these.

Ah if you don't know the laws here do not comment. I.E. pertaining to your random selection statement. All Smog stations in California are licensed by the state. There are two types, Regular ones that can do repairs and Test only stations.
Pertaining to your random statement, cars are randomly selected to be run through test only stations were there bi annual smog is due. It usually happens more to higher mileage cars because they are profiled as being possible higher emitters.

Test only stations are not state stations they are independently owned by state licensed smog techs.

There are referee stations for people who get sent to the ref for violations but thats a whole other ball of wax.

airhead
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
never gotten a ticket or pulled over

tip: put bumper sticker on the back that says"my child is an honor student at XXXXX elemetry"

you will never get pulled over.

JayDee M Rolly
01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
just depends in the area you're in really, some cops in some areas are assholes (irvine) and some dont give a shit. just be lucky and keep your driving on check.

silpena
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
you can allway move to a smaller county in cali... i live in a small town where theres only 1 stop sign and like 4-5 cops. Never get pulled over unless its legit stuff to get pulled over. Bad registration, no insurance, car theft, head lights out, no plates, speeding, or annoying gangsta tints. Loud exhaust and all that will get you a look and probably a little bit of a hassle. Cops will tell you its annoying but most of the times it'll be a warning. Some smaller county's are suffering from low budgets and dont wanna waste their time on these.

LIke someone said have everything together. license, registration, insurance ready and your car running tip top!

Sacramento aint that bad.... i just hate the biker cops. Every day i see 2-3 ppl getting tickets on my way to work but alot are ppl speeding so much. I drive a 84 camry so best assure i cannot speed and wont. i learned my lesson

Deviance
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Hey guys i have a question reguarding the tint issue. If i have a light tint say as 25% or lighter all around on my S14 the cops shouldnt care right? My daily sedan has 5% limo tint all around and I dont get pulled over. I am used to having tint on my cars and I know I cant get away with limo tint on the S14.

g00se
02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
A tint is a tint they can/will still pull you over for stupid bs reasons.. btw VC 26708(A) Unlawful material on vehicle windows, is now no longer listed as a Correctable Violation. It may get dismissed if you can show proof of it being removed. If not, you will have to pay a standard fine depending on county and court, and you can be written for the violation again if you do not get it removed.

I ended up picking a used jetta diesel wagon for a daily to avoid the harassment.. that and 220 ft lbs of torque + 40-45 mpg =/

welcome to commiefornia

RHD95S14
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
If you're living out of state for school you don't have to transfer your shit.. Atleast that's what Illinois, Indiana and Missouri have all said. Since I was a student I didn't even have to get state taxes taken out of my paychecks.

I would just keep your FL stuff if you're JUST going to school

Mark IVDX
02-14-2010, 12:19 AM
I have lived out in Pasadena for about 2 years in my slightly modified S14 and have never been hassled by the police out here. I know others who have on the other hand, basically don't drive like an asshat and you shouldn't be bothered too much.

I recommend you keep your Florida plates and if they ask questions tell them you're here for school. There is no need for you to transfer your plates over if that is the reason. Otherwise they want to you to switch it over if you're going to be here for an extended period of time, but school reasons somehow bypass that. Just have it registered under another family members name probably.

Teddy
02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I drive my car every day. It's super low, big shiny wheels, limo tint, OEM aero. It looks the part.

But I have a KA and a stock exhaust. I've NEVER been pulled over in it. I drive 100 everywhere too usually.