PDA

View Full Version : How long does your daily driven LSD last? Rebuild questions.

az_240
01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Just wondering how long I can expect my 2-way Cusco RS lsd to last. I bought it used with 9k and put maybe 6k on it driving around town. I change the oil every 3k with Redline 75w90 diff fluid and put 3/4 of a bottle of ford friction lsd modifier to help with chatter.

Im worried daily driving will just wear it out and I will have to rebuild it soon. Thinking about selling it for a r33 vlsd.

How do you know the clutch plates need to be replaced in an lsd? Does it start to slip like a worn out clutch would?

If I do eventually need a rebuild does anyone know where I could get replacement plates and how much they cost? I searched around and could only find info on the lsd itself.

slow40sx
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
2-ways can handle hell and more, ur supposed to change the oil every 8k miles i think so if ur doing it every 3k miles and ur only daily driving it i'm pretty sure urs will be good for quite some time, and VLSD = the biggest piece of shit on earth

udon!
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
^ lol @ vlsd part.

ive heard that 2-way lsd's pretty much dont ever need a rebuild unless a meteor hits it

az_240
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
^I had a used cusco MZ before this one and it only lasted a few thousand miles... I think the bearings were bad or someone installed it wrong since it would whine and clunk a lot more than this one.

BlitzRPS13
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I think it should last you quite a while... changing the fluid is key.

Om1kron
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
if you drift it then changing diff oil every 3k doesnt sound like a bad idea, I think it's excessive. I run amsoil fluid, I will probably change it out in 6 more months. I daily drive a Kaaz 2 way.

TURBOMAN
01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
damn i have Drift my Daily for two years with a Welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. no problem still engages LOL

dongoesby
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
damn i have drift my daily for two years with a welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. No problem still engages lol

wtffff....

I DD my 1.5 Nismo for almost 3 years now, I know they aren't built for street, so change fluid often is the key like above said. And don't expect it lasts like factory vlsd, or s15 hlsd.

TURBOMAN
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
wtffff....

I DD my 1.5 Nismo for almost 3 years now, I know they aren't built for street, so change fluid often is the key like above said. And don't expect it lasts like factory vlsd, or s15 hlsd.

it means is hasn't Broken in the past two years of abuse.

Om1kron
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
damn i have Drift my Daily for two years with a Welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. no problem still engages LOL

um... it's welded dude, it's ALWAYS ENGAGED.

welded do not apply here.

dongoesby
01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
it means is hasn't Broken in the past two years of abuse.

jezz, get the hell oute of here, u don't know how to break in a lsd because u ain't got one.

welded is not a lsd mate.

TURBOMAN
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
jezz, get the hell oute of here, u don't know how to break in a lsd because u ain't got one.

welded is not a lsd mate.

You do figure 8.
for the ppl saying welded is not a lsd well no shit. plus i think is better bc if it breaks you are 75bucks in the Hole not 500.
I have Drift with both set up, lsd and welded,
welded is easier to initiated and keep it going.

VQMaxFan
01-25-2010, 02:00 AM
You do figure 8.
for the ppl saying welded is not a lsd well no shit. plus i think is better bc if it breaks you are 75bucks in the Hole not 500.
I have Drift with both set up, lsd and welded,
welded is easier to initiated and keep it going.

Not everyone drifts their 240sx....

RightWheelDrive
01-25-2010, 02:43 AM
I put 30+K on my ATS 2-way and it is worn out. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Its pretty obvious if it is worn as it will start feeling like a vlsd. I noticed it engaged less aggressively as the miles went on.

lightsource
01-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Not everyone drifts their 240sx....

YES THEY DO!

:hide:

JUST TAKE CARE OF IT!!!

Every 3K miles if you don't mind replacing the fluid that often, I'm satisfied with my VLSD and lazyness.

az_240
01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I put 30+K on my ATS 2-way and it is worn out. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Its pretty obvious if it is worn as it will start feeling like a vlsd. I noticed it engaged less aggressively as the miles went on.

This is more the answer I was looking for... 30k makes sense. Did you end up rebuilding it?

Teknolust72
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
The only clutch-type LSD that never needs to be rebuilt is OS Giken. Even the fluid change interval is higher - around 12000 miles. OS Giken LSDs are the BEST hands down.

Everything else is second rate. However Cusco and Nismo require less "maintenance" than Kaaz, Tomei and ATS.

2 way LSDs will wear out faster than 1.5 way, and 1.5 way wears out faster than 1-way. LSDs with high initial torque will wear out faster when daily driven. LSDs with non-progressive lock up will wear out clutch disks prematurely. So when you hear that clunking out of your LSD (which is not "JDM cool"), your clutch packs are not engaging and disengaging smoothly, and causing hot spots on the clutch discs.

ALSO, all those Carbon LSDs are total crap and they love exploding.

ZX88
01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
how many liters of fluid are suppose to go into a diff. I know pretty much an entire tin of tomei fluid but what if i buy that shit in bulk?

Ali 556
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
ok,

I have worned out ATS (also called carbonetic 1.5 way lsd) in less than 2 k miles, :down:

and it's the one with carbon clutches not steel.....no I've been looking around for a rebuild kit and i can't find it...?

Any one knows anything to help me? :aw:

silviaguy240
01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
how many liters of fluid are suppose to go into a diff. I know pretty much an entire tin of tomei fluid but what if i buy that shit in bulk?

2quarts/Liters

az_240
01-26-2010, 01:37 AM
The only clutch-type LSD that never needs to be rebuilt is OS Giken. Even the fluid change interval is higher - around 12000 miles. OS Giken LSDs are the BEST hands down.

Everything else is second rate. However Cusco and Nismo require less "maintenance" than Kaaz, Tomei and ATS.

2 way LSDs will wear out faster than 1.5 way, and 1.5 way wears out faster than 1-way. LSDs with high initial torque will wear out faster when daily driven. LSDs with non-progressive lock up will wear out clutch disks prematurely. So when you hear that clunking out of your LSD (which is not "JDM cool"), your clutch packs are not engaging and disengaging smoothly, and causing hot spots on the clutch discs.

ALSO, all those Carbon LSDs are total crap and they love exploding.

OS Giken.. dont see many of those lsd's. I decided to sell my cusco lsd just because I dont really use it for what its intended for and I need money really bad... I may get another one in the future... or possibly the new quieter kaaz.

RightWheelDrive
01-26-2010, 02:29 AM
This is more the answer I was looking for... 30k makes sense. Did you end up rebuilding it?

I haven't rebuilt it yet. It's on my summer to do list.

As for the friction modifier, using 3/4ths of the bottle sounds like too much. I only used a 1/4th per oil change and it reduced the clunking enough to not be annoying. Using too much will cause excessive slip and premature wear.

Ali 556
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
ok,

I have worned out ATS (also called carbonetic 1.5 way lsd) in less than 2 k miles, :down:

and it's the one with carbon clutches not steel.....no I've been looking around for a rebuild kit and i can't find it...?

Any one knows anything to help me? :aw:

bump?:ugh:

az_240
01-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I haven't rebuilt it yet. It's on my summer to do list.

As for the friction modifier, using 3/4ths of the bottle sounds like too much. I only used a 1/4th per oil change and it reduced the clunking enough to not be annoying. Using too much will cause excessive slip and premature wear.

It says to pour the entire bottle in on the instructions. I use between 1/2 and 3/4 and I still get some chatter through turns.

I wonder where to get rebuild kits myself.... Try getting in contact with ATS

karl wasabi
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I've had my Tomei 2-way for like 3 years now and it still grabs strong. I change the fluid like once a year. LOL.

lightsource
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Does anyone do VLSD rebuilds?