PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Delete Question

Cscat87
01-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone. So I just got an S13, it had the power steering belt off when I picked it up, and the guy said that it just needed a new belt put on. But upon further inspection once I got it home, it looks like that car had power steering problems, and he just took the belt off (seems common for sohc's from what I'm reading). Well I plan on throwing in an SR in a year or less, so I don't want to invest into fixing the PS for this motor.

My question is, is taking out the pump, etc, and looping the lines on the rack okay, or will that harm the rack in some way? The steering seems very light compared to other cars that I've driven without PS, so I don't mind driving like this as long as it isn't harming other things. But I also don't want to screw myself by driving around this for a year and then need to fix more things.

So I figure instead of making my own uninformed decision, that I'd let the knowledgable minds of Zilvia give me their opinion. I tried searching for 'power steering delete' on here and didn't come up with what I was looking for. Any input from members is appreciated.

Chris

projectRDM
01-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't believe you, as there's a 4page thread in chat about depowering the steering rack with all the pros and cons as well as info on converting the rack to a manual unit.

If you searched, you must not can spell for shit.

Cscat87
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I read that thread when I searched, and it has great info for people who are looking to completely de-power the rack. I however am planning to retain PS when I swap it, I just don't want to invest in fixing it for this motor.

My only real question in laymans terms is "Is taking your PS pump out and looping the lines bad for the rack" but I didn't want to sound like an idiot who didn't at least try to research it first.

lilrusty
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
no disrespect, but if you have the $$ for an sr20, you should be able to afford the ps pressure line from a dohc or get a steel braided line. ive seen dohc lines go as cheap as $20. ive seen people run thar sohc line before and it works, but looks real shitty and might break when you bend it over....