PDA

View Full Version : Bad Valve Seals or Turbo?

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Alright here's the scoop.

I have an S13 SR with the stock T25 @ 15lbs. It's been this way for the past 2 years.

(I know..I know.)

My car will start to smoke like crazy whenever it starts. It only happens when the car idles, such as when I pull up to the stoplight for a minute... It's not like that when I'm just driving though, unless it's under boost.

I know that running that high of a pressure on a stock T25 had to do some damage.

I'm thinking it's either valve seals or the turbo seals, but I'd love for it to be the turbo seals.

Is there an easy way to diagnose the two?

Aaaaannnny help I can get for this would be magical. I'm leaning towards the turbo, but I need some reassurance, haha.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!
:hyper:

MannylovesLian
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
its not the turbo seals because if it was the turbo would smoke after it warms up till u turn it off.
im not positive but there is my 2 cents. i had a stock i boosted at 16 till a seal went bad.

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
FML.

That leaves valve seals, guides or piston rings!

I need more feedback!

Appreciate it manny.

S14DB
01-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Sounds like the valve seals.

Does it smoke on deceleration(engine braking)?

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not exactly too sure to be honest. I think I'm about to go start the car and see..

Will edit when I get back.

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
As an update: The car doesn't seem to smoke any during engine braking.

It doesn't smoke instantly after startup, like 10-15 seconds afterwards.

Smokes under boost, so that would rule out the valve seals in that case wouldn't it?

I started the car without the radiator cap on (Someone told me that would diagnose a HG or not.) and it was fine. No coolant went flying anywhere or anything.

So Basically WTF.

But once again, when the car idles, it will smoke pretty heavy and constantly. I filled up my coolant reservoir with fluid and I'll see if it drops...but it hasn't so far.

I honestly can't tell if it's blueish or white smoke, it's pretty windy today.

S14DB
01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Decel would be the rings.
Instantly at startup would be the stem seals.

Ether think it's the turbo or PCV.

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 03:07 PM
That's good news.

I went to go check my catchcan and it's like....EMPTY.

It's gotta be the turbo since I'm not getting any blow-by, no?

MannylovesLian
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
well 10 to 15 after start up sounds like the turbo to me.

MandTPhotography
01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I just ordered a 0 mile rebuilt T25, so we'll see!

If that's not the problem, you might see a caged S13 on fire in the nearby future... :smash:

pyshin
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Redacted..

MandTPhotography
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I'll update it as soon as the turbo gets here and is on the car!

let5l1de
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Your turbo will be shipping soon! I'll inspect your core for damage in the oil control seal and the compressor seal locations. Inspecting the seals on the turbo will give you a better idea of what seal/component is failing.

I would imagine the turbo needed service. Secondly, the rings may be loosing tension due to heat and or excessive wear. Third is hardened or damaged valve stem seals. 4th ... pcv.... hose... dirty engine... etc...

Did I mention we build engines too? :bigok:

~mario