PDA

View Full Version : engine problem

TheSparo
06-05-2003, 05:12 PM
whats up, ok i have an 89 SOHC 240, and the motor has 124k miles (suposedly, it says on the odo)the engine at random times ticks, it did when i bought it but stopped, i have no idea why it starts or stops, it doesnt really do it after i run the engine hard so that couldnt be it, and also there is exhast smoke, i was thinking it was the fuel mixture, it doesnt smoke visibly at idle, but once above around 4k rpm i see it, but i've been told it smokes when i start from a stop or something. the smoking is constant, but the ticking is not, i checked the spark plugs, and they look good, just a small amount of carbon, but that is pretty normal (i think) well i think that is all the symptoms... please help, i dont really need it running perfect, b/c i am getting a front clip soon, but it is just annoying.
oh yea, when i am going down a hill in gear (not accelerating) i hear a poping, like very quite backfire... but im not sure... anyone have an idea?

cliff's notes: problem please help solve:D

EDIT: i forgot that sometimes i notice a jerk when accelerating, which i assume is the fuel filter, which i plan on replacing soon, and yes i have read threads on ticking and engine smoke, but after looking at the spark plugs im clueless..

Bill Roberts
06-05-2003, 05:40 PM
The engine needs a good flushing. Sounds like to me, Oil is not getting to all the right places at the right times.

Mine has about that same mileage and when my oil sending unit broke and it started leaking oil like a sieve, I noticed a slight tick before I turned it off and replaced the oil sending unit.

Try a good 4 oil change flush. Drain completely and add some exxon 20X50 and let it idle for about 15 mins...THEN, rev it up really good underload, (4K) and drain. Do this with a new filter. Repeat. Change the filter after the third time and then use some 10W30. I am afraid you need to stick with at least a 10W 30. Synthetic Mobil oil that is 0W or 5W is too thin for an engine with that many miles IMHO.

As much as I love sythetic oil, it becomes impractical to have a super light weight oil when cold, on an engine with that many miles.

This is my opinion, others should chime in and correct me if they see something I do not. I have a lot to learn and I am 44 years old!

I have been using on the street, EXXON superflow 10W30 now for all my changes and it stays clear in city driving for at least 2000 Miles. I never have that black burned up oil smell. The oil is slightly darker brown (I can still see through it) even at 3000 miles.

Change your PCV as well. You may be getting some blowby into the crankcase that is fouling the oil and you also could have an engine loaded with sludge. Rich running ruins oil. You get gas vapor into the crankcase from having bad rings, the oil is toast after 200 miles. No $hit.

When you look in the head through the oil fill opening, is it nice and clean?/or black and grundgy?

This may be your problem. I use exactly 3 7/8 quarts , I have 121K and she does not burn any oil at all.

If you have sludge, you are not getting proper lubercation. You also could have a weak valve spring as well.

Bill Roberts
06-05-2003, 05:45 PM
PS: Smoke means bad rings, leaking valve guides or abnormal wear.

A sludged up engine will smoke as well.

Oil is getting into the combustion chamber. If oil is finding its way there, then gas vapor is finding its way in the crankcase, ruining your oil, making it not lubercate.
Hope this helps.

Also, once you get your clip, are you interested in selling me some parts or the whole engine (all of it) down the road?

Even though I live in S FL, I can arrange to have it picked up. I would love to have a KA engine and tranny with all the goodies (AC compressor too) on had to "per-fect" and slide into mine whenever I finally wear mine out.

Personally, when and if I ever do a swap that is non stock, I want to go whole hog and do the RB26/6speed. Twin turbo. It would be the superbomb. In the meantime, KA= Kick A$$

TheSparo
06-05-2003, 05:54 PM
i have changed the oil about 4 times already, but the sad thing is i always replace it with 20w50... should i use one of those engine flush things? is that what the xxon stuff is? or is it just oil? and shuold i just try using a lighter weight oil jus to tsee whats up?

TheSparo
06-05-2003, 05:57 PM
and sent you a PM bill

Bill Roberts
06-05-2003, 06:07 PM
TKX, One back at ya!

TheSparo
06-05-2003, 06:52 PM
is there any posibility at all that the ticking could be from the alternator working too hard, the reason i say so is b/c recently i ghetto-ized my stereo and put a home speaker:eek: in the back and just crossed the poss from left side and neg from right side... i doubt this would make a difference but i just want to make sure... yea yea make fun of me all u want... its cheaper than buying subs and all...