PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a computer whiz?

drifts135
01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
When I hook up a video camera to my 1394 port I get the blue screen which states I have a BIOS error. Using my other laptops I don't experience this problem but both of my new (bought in July 09) Dell Studio 15 laptops experience this. Anyone have ideas of what may be happening?

This is a nearly identical message as to what I'm receiving:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/camcorders-video-editing/154773d1262280012-blue-screen-bsod-when-i-conect-my-minidv-camera-through-firewire-img_7419.jpg

randomcow
01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Maybe try checking for newer drivers? Could be something simple like that.

ericcastro
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
use google.
Seems simple enough.
Video card or drivers arent made for that cam thing?

Gnnr
01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Try to update the video card driver(s) first.

flip3d
01-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Are you starting the computer with it already hooked up?

If you are, it could be trying to boot from the camera or something.

ryguy
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Most Typical Causes of Stop: 0x0000008E

Registry problems, faulty RAM, hardware failure, driver incompatibility, viruses.

http://www.0x0000008e.com/

Read up.

1on1
01-14-2010, 11:10 AM
if you have a anti-virus running, disable it or remove it, then restart and it should be ok.

most anti-virus causes problem from what i remember.

try that and let us know.

slider2828
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
That looks like a memory error.... Either way it could be memory allocation used by the driver, so update that first. If it still persists, updated the bios.... If it STILL persists, move to windows 7...

NTFS error? What OS are you using?

NINJASPY
01-14-2010, 02:00 PM
If it happens to both computers... its drivers, registry, software conflicts, or hardware conflicts.

HyperTek
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
what OS? if its XP, XP can be garbage sometimes.. vista etc has better stability now. If its either, try an update, i think XP has Service Pack 3 update you can do, and vista has a SP2 update.

drifts135
01-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow, lots of great help and suggestions. Well, I've tried everything recommended (it took a while) and I was still unsuccessful at getting it to work. To review:

-My OS is XP. The "default" system they were going to build the computer with was Vista however.
-I have downloaded all of the drivers from this site: Download Dell Studio 1535 Windows XP Drivers | Get Pc Memory (http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-dell-studio-1535-windows-xp-drivers/)
-The camera works fine on my other laptops, just not my two new Dell Studio 15s.
-I've run anti-virus software, and disabled it, and neither have worked/helped.
-I've also done the basic google searching for results to no avail. This is the only link I was able to find: Problem capturing video from canon mini dv camcorder in Adobe Premiere Elements 7 on new studio 15.. - DELL COMMUNITY (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19289956/19536803.aspx) It's exactly identical to the problem I'm experiencing and no one else has seen resolution as well.

Any final thoughts before I forfeit?

ryguy
01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Did you try calling Dell? I mean, it's last ditch, but you tried everything else, and the computers are new.

HyperTek
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
install sp3 if you dont have it already.. might solve the problem.

Gnnr
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
If this is a "new" laptop, was it designed for Vista or Windows 7? Which Windows logo is on the laptop? I say this because for some reason when you don't run the OS the laptop was tested thoroughly for, you get weird problems. Even though in theory its supposed to work...but we know how that goes.

You should be getting your drivers directly from Dell's support website. I can't pull the page that shows the XP drivers for your system, though. Maybe if you put in your service tag number it will show up.

Drivers & Downloads (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=STUDIO1535&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=)

You should try getting the latest Video drivers. If that doesn't work try updating to the latest chipset drivers (since it could be the port acting up).

Also, do you have the latest service packs for XP?

If not you can try installing Windows 7 and see how that goes for you.

As a last resort you could update the firmware on the camera (if possible) but it is very risky if you don't know what your doing. You can "paperweight it" if not done correctly.

Siphter
01-15-2010, 02:38 AM
try updating your Bios, jump into your bios settings and check what company (dell does not make the bios)/driver you are using and check out the company website for downloads or google the version and see if any forums out there have posted that there is an update available (hell, I'll check for you if it seems like too much of a pain), also are the webcam drivers installed? if you need to plug it in to install try searching for the installer online instead.

alternatively make sure your cam works in windows 7 and switch over to that, it is a breath of fresh air, just make sure to backup your data to an external drive or cd's if small enough.

ZilviaKid
01-15-2010, 06:47 AM
since were talking about computers.

recomend me an inexpensive prebuilt that i can play the sims 3 on and can run dual monitors

mrflip69
01-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Might be a problem with the firewire simply being incompatible with your camera, and you won't be able to get it to work at all.

slider2828
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
since were talking about computers.

recomend me an inexpensive prebuilt that i can play the sims 3 on and can run dual monitors

Buy what you can with dell... They aren't too bad for budget laptops.... Don't get a netbook, probably will choke like crazy....

Gnnr
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
try updating your Bios, jump into your bios settings and check what company (dell does not make the bios)/driver you are using and check out the company website for downloads or google the version and see if any forums out there have posted that there is an update available (hell, I'll check for you if it seems like too much of a pain), also are the webcam drivers installed? if you need to plug it in to install try searching for the installer online instead.

alternatively make sure your cam works in windows 7 and switch over to that, it is a breath of fresh air, just make sure to backup your data to an external drive or cd's if small enough.

I would not get the BIOS directly from the ROM manufacturer. Since this is a laptop most likely it has proprietary Dell designs. They work in partnership with the BIOS maker to tailor to there hardware. If its not available on Dells website don't bother, you'll definitely have an expensive door stop on your hand.

BIOS/Firmware updates should always be an absolute last resort thing....unless it is a highly documented source to a an issue.

ZilviaKid
01-15-2010, 01:06 PM
i meant a desktop but the point is moot because i already got one.

and net books are sick if your just using it for typing in class or killing a period.