PDA

View Full Version : Heading to NYC

Otto347
01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on any cool places to go, restaurants and bars? Never been to the city and its going to be cold as balls up there (ive lived in florida all my life) so im trying to find indoor activitys! :w00t::w00t:

sidewaysil80
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
i'm from north jersey (literally 10 min outside of the city) and spent ALOT of time growing up there. for the typical tourist stuff i would suggest the following...
-empire state building (indoor observation deck)
-rockerfella plaza (the tree/ice skating/nbc stuidos)
-times square (just walk around and check out all the stores/sights)
-broadway (just walk around/maybe catch a show)
(its DEF not THAT cold, i was just there this past wed. i was in a hoodie/jeans/peacoat and i was fine)

90hatchie
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
bubba gump shrimp co resturant in times square <3

slider2828
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I like the NYC Museum of Modern Art! So cool...

Look up a restaurant called Basso56 (.com) pretty good italian and not too expensive.

For clubs, go to the Meatfactory district. Crazy clubs down there and all the girls hang there. Just watch out for ergh homosexual clubs... seriously. But its hot there! I think they have a place called Buddha.... Forgot the name was pretty drunk... lol

Go to NYC Chinatown and look for Joe's Shanghai. Get their world famous dumplings, probably as good as shanghai dumplings. I think you can google them or zagat or yelp.com them....

Korean town if you never had good korean in FL. Also the Gogenheim is cool!

ZX88
01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
k-bbq in korea town

bars/hooka and nice resturants down in the village

meat factory clubs (prepare to pay big bucks)

go to Washington square and laugh at NYU kids( JK)

its not the best time to go to nyc because there is alot of cool stuff that is out doors.

prepare to freeze your balls off at night.

ronmcdon
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Was just there a week for New Year's.
(probably worst time to go imo, b/c of heavy crowds and inflated prices)
Weather there is pretty awful right now,
and it's only going to get worse until maybe April/May.

You just have to plan your trip very well.
Make dinner reservations at any of the nicer places well ahead of time.
Be sure to buy one of those 'unlimited' metro passes for around $27.
Familiarize yourself with the metro, and try not to take cabs.

If you're flying into NYC, I'd advise going to Newark instead of JFK.

As for food, not sure what your budget & preferences are.
It really is a city that specializes in fine dining and gastropubs.
Get a Michelin guide to check things out.

Sure the Thai/Korean/Chinese/etc might be decent,
but honestly you can pretty much get that sort of thing anywhere.
An exception would probably be the Momofuku restaurants.
I think there's a really good noodle bar & higher ending tasting menu deal.

For higher end dining,
I'd really recommend 'Per Se' (if you haven't visited French Laundry in Napa, CA).
'La Bernadin' is probably one of the top seafood places.
Also wanted to try out Minetta Tavern and Gramercy Tavern, but couldn't get a reservation.
If you like Japanese Omakase, no doubt there's a lot of good stuff there.

I tried a couple places that were a bit hyped & I was a bit dissapointed.
Not a fan of Wallse, Spotted Pig, Jean Georges, Redhead.

The bagels, Delis, and French Bistros there are pretty awesome.
I really enjoyed the white-fish sald w/ Bagel at Murray's (like a smoked trout rillete).
Also enjoyed a bistro by the name of Balthazar.

I'll have to return in a year or two and go back maybe in Apr/May or Oct/Nov.

Otto347
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I planned on hitting up a lot of the delis around town for lunch and such and have 1 or 2 places in mind for dinner.

Not really looking for clubs, just really cool underground bars that you have to go through 10 other places to get to.

i'm from north jersey (literally 10 min outside of the city) and spent ALOT of time growing up there. for the typical tourist stuff i would suggest the following...
-rockerfella plaza (the tree/ice skating/nbc stuidos)
How long after christmas does the tree stay up?

ESmorz
01-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I'll be there the 7th-14th.

Otto347
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Well shit ill be there till the 10th, you and your girl right?

ESmorz
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Well shit ill be there till the 10th, you and your girl right?

Yes sir.

:wavey:

Otto347
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Well hell if you guys want to meet up and grab a beer or sum shit let me know.

ronmcdon
01-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Well if you're going in eary Jan, then it's not that bad.
The weather is going to be cold and most likely it will snow.
On some days, it was around 20f and windy.
The news seems to be talking about some 'artic chill' around the NE these days.

On the plus side,
Id imagine it'll be less crowded without the usual toursits and higher hotel costs.

Still, just try to plan ahead as much as possible.
Watch how much you're spending.
It can be a pretty expensive city imo.
I actually ended up spending more in NYC in a week than I did in most European cities.

Bubbles
01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
(ive lived in florida all my life)

i
(its DEF not THAT cold

Relatively, it'll be fucking freezing.

bizarke
01-04-2010, 03:16 AM
you gotta hit up max fish at e. houston , cool lil bar.

slider2828
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Was just there a week for New Year's.
(probably worst time to go imo, b/c of heavy crowds and inflated prices)
Weather there is pretty awful right now,
and it's only going to get worse until maybe April/May.

You just have to plan your trip very well.
Make dinner reservations at any of the nicer places well ahead of time.
Be sure to buy one of those 'unlimited' metro passes for around $27.
Familiarize yourself with the metro, and try not to take cabs.

If you're flying into NYC, I'd advise going to Newark instead of JFK.

As for food, not sure what your budget & preferences are.
It really is a city that specializes in fine dining and gastropubs.
Get a Michelin guide to check things out.

Sure the Thai/Korean/Chinese/etc might be decent,
but honestly you can pretty much get that sort of thing anywhere.
An exception would probably be the Momofuku restaurants.
I think there's a really good noodle bar & higher ending tasting menu deal.

For higher end dining,
I'd really recommend 'Per Se' (if you haven't visited French Laundry in Napa, CA).
'La Bernadin' is probably one of the top seafood places.
Also wanted to try out Minetta Tavern and Gramercy Tavern, but couldn't get a reservation.
If you like Japanese Omakase, no doubt there's a lot of good stuff there.

I tried a couple places that were a bit hyped & I was a bit dissapointed.
Not a fan of Wallse, Spotted Pig, Jean Georges, Redhead.

The bagels, Delis, and French Bistros there are pretty awesome.
I really enjoyed the white-fish sald w/ Bagel at Murray's (like a smoked trout rillete).
Also enjoyed a bistro by the name of Balthazar.

I'll have to return in a year or two and go back maybe in Apr/May or Oct/Nov.

Jean Georges overrated? Thank god I didn't go... I heard mixed reviews about that place, but there is those pre fixed menus that I heard were pretty inexpensive. Per se and David probably the two tops in NYC.... but its too $$$$$ <--- 5 dollar signs expensive... lol

enkei2k
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
max brenner. chocolate fondue goodness.

i've been in NYC all my life and i never heard of any of these restaurants. i guess i'm the tourist haha.

PS - shouldn't this be in regional?

BustedS13
01-04-2010, 11:00 AM

nah. New York is the biggest city in the US, and the greatest city on Earth. i'd imagine most of us have been there.
the last time we were there, we spent a day just walking with no destination in mind, and got a cab ride home when we were tired and couldn't be fueled on by hot dogs and original famous original genuine ray's famous original pizza anymore. there is WAAAY too much to see out there.

ronmcdon
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Jean Georges overrated? Thank god I didn't go... I heard mixed reviews about that place, but there is those pre fixed menus that I heard were pretty inexpensive. Per se and David probably the two tops in NYC.... but its too $$$$$ <--- 5 dollar signs expensive... lol

I don't know if you could call Jean Greorges overrated.
Speaking for myself, I just didn't find the food especially great,
nor was there that much creativity.
I didn't care for the excess of citrus based flavors in several of his dishes.
lot of the stuff, like seared foie gras/tuna tatare were standard fare.

There is infact a 'cheaper' $68, 5-7 course menu at Nougatine.
It's the same location @ Jean Georges, and you can even eat at the bar.

Yeah Per Se looked good.
I saw their menu, and the only thing I have against it is that it seems a lot like The French Laundry, Thomas Keller's other restaurant in Napa, CA.
I've already visited French Laundry, so I prefer to try something different.
Maybe someday, preferably during truffle season.

max brenner. chocolate fondue goodness.

i've been in NYC all my life and i never heard of any of these restaurants. i guess i'm the tourist haha.

Oh I went to Max Brennar too (think it was Union Square?).
Desserts are pretty fun.
We had some ice-cream popsical served with a chocolate sauce & hazelnuts.
Some of the entrees (had the turkey-cheese crepe & spinach asparagus crepe), were a little less memorable.

Do make some suggestions if you don't mind.
I'd go back just to try more desserts.

BustedS13
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
you should try Dorsia. i hear they have a great sea urchin ceviche.

Otto347
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Cant go there because I won't give the maitre d' head. ;)

los_inc
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
i suggest ya'll grab some indian food on like 6th street between 1st and 2nd ave.
the whole street is filled with little restaurants with live music ans stuff shits bomb.
also there is this little hookah bar on like 1st ave between 4th and 3rd street. i think it's called Karma. if your into beer and and single malt scotch i suggest this joint called DBA.
it's also on 1st ave near 2nd street. is all near "st. marks street" and "nyu" so there is a shit ton of stuff todo. hit me up i'm down to me up for a couple drink especially with that ESmorz pansy <3
hollla
-los

enkei2k
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
53rd street and 6th avenue in NYC. halal cart out in the corner with crazy good rice with lamb, chicken, etc. it's all hyped up though. it's good, but not as good as people say it is. only thing is you HAVE to go at night, daytime, it's somebody else:

The authentic 53rd & 6th cart is open from 7:30PM-4AM. During the daytime it is a different vendor who is totally unaffiliated.

check it out,

53rd & 6th | are you living the lifestyle? // 53rdand6th.com (http://www.53rdand6th.com/)

Oh I went to Max Brennar too (think it was Union Square?).
Desserts are pretty fun.
We had some ice-cream popsical served with a chocolate sauce & hazelnuts.
Some of the entrees (had the turkey-cheese crepe & spinach asparagus crepe), were a little less memorable.

Do make some suggestions if you don't mind.
I'd go back just to try more desserts.

i only went to Max Brennar once, so I don't really have many suggestions lol. I just ordered the fondue sampler and their mac and cheese. Their mac and cheese is pretty amazing (according to my girlfriend, who loves mac and cheese and will eat it anywhere). but that's just us.

los_inc
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
battle of the blogs y0!

Eating The World In New York City (http://eatinganddrinkingmywayaroundnyc.blogspot.com/)

Otto347
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I cant wait to get up there and start eating :D

ronmcdon
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
battle of the blogs y0!

Eating The World In New York City (http://eatinganddrinkingmywayaroundnyc.blogspot.com/)

great resource!
not surprised there's so much of the cheaper ethnic eateries in NYC.
stuff looks pretty authentic too.

gzer750
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
do what i do when i go to new york, get on any train to times square(almost every line goes to time square) and jump on another train. everyday do a different line. see the whole city. fuck the gay indoor activities. i been in every borough in nyc. its a great city. second to los angeles.

jdm538
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
i went with some friends, none of us have ever been to NYC we had lots of fun.

DR.BABY (a Jew from Long Island) advised me to do this and it worked, fly in at night (less busy), hotel in New Jersey (cheaper), walk around with iphone maps and yelp, take lots of pics.

Otto347
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
fuck the gay indoor activities.
I mainly meant bars and restaurants with my "indoor activitys" comment. I plan on going where ever the train takes me.

fly in at night (less busy), hotel in New Jersey (cheaper)

Im taking the train in from Amsterdam, but we scored a room at the W with a view for a killer price :)

Bubbles
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Dorsia, Friday night, how do you swing that?

BustedS13
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Dorsia, Friday night, how do you swing that?

er, uh
i need to return some videotapes

Bubbles
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Are you aware of my morning routine?

It's quite expansive and detailed.

ronmcdon
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
American Psycho (2000) - Memorable quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/quotes)

Bubbles
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
What a party pooper.

ESmorz
01-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Sorry Otto won't be having any drinks with you in a proper establishment, as I am not of the legal age yet haha.

Along the same lines, anyone know any hotels in the city that don't require you to be 21 to check-in? Even if the credit card holder is over 21... I know a lot of places don't card during check in all the time, but it's a gamble and I'm not willing to ride 500 bucks on that.

ronmcdon
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Maybe you can get your parents to front for you?
Youth hostels might be a decent bet.

You should definetly do more drinking there.
It's a luxury to not have to deal with the risk of dui's,
since you'll be taking cabs/subway/waking on foot.

ESmorz
01-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Maybe you can get your parents to front for you?
Youth hostels might be a decent bet.

You should definetly do more drinking there.
It's a luxury to not have to deal with the risk of dui's,
since you'll be taking cabs/subway/waking on foot.

Alright it's all taken care of. I didn't want to stay in some inner-city commune with a bunch of Euro trash. :keke:

I need to pick up a flask.

kalypso123
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
go to juliet super club... if you can get in. you've found the paradise of NY's hottest women.

its enough to make anyone cry.

doogstein
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM
If you end up in brooklyn id def go eat at the chip shop its fuckin awesome. They deep fry anything you want and if they dont have it on the menu you can bring somethin in and they will deep fry it. its great. had deep fried pizza, mac & cheese and snickers and they were all fantastic

Otto347
01-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Stopped by the Chip Shop, food was great. Also hit up Les Halles, holy fuck the scallops and mussels were the best I have ever had! Also stopped by Katz deli (great turkey sandwich with a plate of pickles on the side), murrays bagels (also amazing), Grays Papaya (hot dogs were 7/10 but the papaya drink was great)

Only not so great place we went to was the Yummy Noodle in chinatown. Dont get me wrong im glad I went but my roast duck was full of bones and the noodles were so so but im sure thats because im a round eye and used to all the americanised chinese food :D

What a party pooper.
lol it was on a few nights ago.

Bubbles
01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
you've found the paradise of NY's hottest women.

I would guess NY has a ton of good looking women in general but whenever I've visited I haven't really been impressed.

enkei2k
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Only not so great place we went to was the Yummy Noodle in chinatown. Dont get me wrong im glad I went but my roast duck was full of bones and the noodles were so so but im sure thats because im a round eye and used to all the americanised chinese food :D

yep, unfortunately roast duck is mostly bone. for chinese food, you should hit up the authentic chinese places on Mott Street (Big Wong, Peking Duck House, hell should of hit up Chinatown arcade while you're there lol) check out Joe's Shanghai. I went there on Saturday night with some friends. It has great reviews on Zagat. rule of thumb, the more a place looks run down and old, the more authentic (better) the food probably is. lol

ronmcdon
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, if I were to eat Chinese in NYC,
I'd opt for specialized regional cooking.

Look for Shanghai cooking.
Authentic Szechaun & Hunan (with the liberal use of chillis & numbing spices) are also great.
Unfortunately, I can only make suggestions in los angeles.

Not sure if I mentioned prior,
but Momofuku Noodle Bar is pretty good.
Unlike other 'tax-evading' asian eateries, they also take CC's
:: momofuku :: (http://www.momofuku.com/noodle/menu.asp)

Good luck though

ESmorz
01-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Man this hotel is awesome.

The 7 train is about a 2 minute walk away, and Times square is a ~8 minute ride.

Keep not getting to bed till around 4 or 5 though and then getting up in time for our breakfast is rough. Keep going back to the room and sleeping and losing precious daylight.

Bubbles
01-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Night train man.

I love that stuff.

Otto347
01-11-2010, 05:33 AM
I wish I was still there :(

ronmcdon
01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
should really stay for no less than a week.
just DON'T go during the holiday season.
(learned my lesson the hard way)

Otto347
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah I plan on a week in the city next time, probably around the same time of year. Weather isnt that cold and hotel prices are cheap as balls in the winter.

Sorry Otto won't be having any drinks with you in a proper establishment, as I am not of the legal age yet haha.
Ah didn't know you were a youngster :D

I will say we hit up this bar called Blue and Gold that was on 7th Street between 1st Ave & 2nd Ave. Cheap ass drinks and a cool atmosphere!

word sux
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Stopped by the Chip Shop, food was great. Also hit up Les Halles, holy fuck the scallops and mussels were the best I have ever had! Also stopped by Katz deli (great turkey sandwich with a plate of pickles on the side), murrays bagels (also amazing), Grays Papaya (hot dogs were 7/10 but the papaya drink was great)

lol it was on a few nights ago.

yea dude i would have suggested the chip shop and katz deli. to bad you didn't get the hot pastrami its like sex on bread

Otto347
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
yea dude i would have suggested the chip shop and katz deli. to bad you didn't get the hot pastrami its like sex on bread
I almost did, but the dude in front of me got a turkey and I saw the thick sliced meat and just followed suit :yum:

ronmcdon
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing May-June, or Oct-Nov would be the absolute best.
I doubt there would be too many tourists then.
Summers in NYC are supposedly hot & humid.

Coming from socal, I despise the colder weather.
It was most welcome coming back to a 70f paradise.

Otto347
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
the funny thing was everyone from florida was telling us "oh its going to be cold, you're going to regret going this time of year" turns out it was the same temp if not colder in tampa than it was in NYC the whole time we were there :rofl: