PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting.

Weedm
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
So about a week ago my 240's positive battery terminal disconnected from the battery while on the freeway, and this has never happened before. The headlights and other lights started flickering and then I suddenly lost power. As a result, I popped the hood and reconnected the terminal. I attempted to start it again but it would only crank. Turns out I blew a fuel pump fuse. Fair enough, I replaced it on the spot and it started right away. A day afterwards I went to Autozone and got replacement terminals. After replacing them, the car starts fine, however, after a day or two, the car wouldn't start anymore during the first 15 tries or so. It wouldn't crank either, but rather it makes only one click. It would only start after many many tries. Once it starts it runs fine without a problem. However, after turning the car off and trying to turn it on again, the same problem occurs. I've tried hitting the alternator and it would start sometimes, bit I doubt that does any justice since the battery still has good voltage.

My question is what would the problem be then? I doubt it's the starter. I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue anymore, and attempting to start the car with sheer luck takes a while, and with that many many attempts as well.

Any input would be really appreciated.

killbillsnj
12-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Bang on the starter and see if it helps if so replace starter

Weedm
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah turns out to be the starter. I've attempted to bang the alternator for no reason and it worked a few times oddly enough, but not all the time. Banging the starter works every time now. I just need time to replace the starter now. Thanks.