PDA

View Full Version : Axxis vs. KVR Brake Pads

MrMigs
05-30-2003, 04:11 PM
It's about time I started getting better brake pads. Normally, I just get the Pep Boys SPL, and compensate for brake fade by braking a lot earlier.

So, anywho... I'm trying to choose between Axxis Metal Masters and KVR Carbon Kevlar pads for my S14. I plan to use them on my car for street/mtn/track use, and I'm basically looking for a pad that will work pretty well without needing to be warmed up and will also be fade resistant.

I heard good things from these two sets of pads, and now I'd like to know which would be better to get. Anybody?

Natty
05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
I love my KVR, but they need to be warmed up a bit. It's not bad though. The chatter which is normal can get annoying, but I like them.
I will go stock next time though, becuase I really don't need the extra performance *shrug*

orange-grey
05-30-2003, 08:33 PM
My KVRs seem to have very little fade, even when literally smoking after a good downhill canyon run. Inital bite seems pretty stock, nice for street and auto-x. Don't know how they hold up under extended track use, however. Unfortunately I can't really compare them to anything but oem.

MrMigs
05-31-2003, 01:32 AM
hmm interesting... as long as they don't fade after a hard run, then that's good... it's all I'm looking for. I wonder how they compare to Metal Masters though -- in terms of fade.

kalieaire
05-31-2003, 11:29 AM
i have axxis ultimates in the front and metal masters in the rear.

metal masters in the rear cost me ~38 bux at kragen.

the ultimates cost me ~ 53 bux from brakewarehouse.com

the ultimates dust way more than the metal masters, they're very similar to porterfield r4s's. not as much braking power and reduction in fade than r4s's, but they're comparable still.

they have good initial bite, and haven't killed my already messed up rotors. They're also very quiet, and are pretty damn smooth. These are good for light track use.

remember to use an aggressive bed in procedure for your pads with used rotors and you should be alright.

---My friend is using metal masters in the front, and kvr in the rear.

KVR pads undoubtedly very good with fade resistance, more so than semi-metallics. So he has never experienced fade with his kvrs, but he did notice they're not as quick w/ initial bite than the metal masters. then again, you can't really say with them being in the rear.

MrMigs
06-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by kalieaire
---My friend is using metal masters in the front, and kvr in the rear.

KVR pads undoubtedly very good with fade resistance, more so than semi-metallics. So he has never experienced fade with his kvrs, but he did notice they're not as quick w/ initial bite than the metal masters. then again, you can't really say with them being in the rear.

So did your friend have Metal Masters front and rear before and then later switch the rear pads to KVR?

kalieaire
06-01-2003, 01:01 AM
he had stock pads in the rear when he installed the kvrs.

hurleyboi514
06-01-2003, 03:35 PM
dude, get the KVR's hands down. ive used both pads. the 1st pad i used was the KVR's and i loved them. they wouldnt fade out on me. i still had good braking after repeated mountain runs. the only problem was that my fluid couldnt handle them. i lost the pedal before the pad would fade. thats a good testament to them there. so if u do get them, get a nice brake fluid while your at it. i bought the axxis pads for the winter and they suck. i can get them to fade after a few good strong braking... and they leave alot of dust on my wheels. now, ive got Z brakes, im just deciding on trying a different pad or going with the KVR's again...

sspikey
06-01-2003, 08:00 PM
no one on Hawk HP+?

sykikchimp
06-02-2003, 11:33 AM
I agree with Hurleyboi that you need good fluid. I personally use ATE superblue, and have never boiled it at the track. Good stuff. Ford Heavy duty is good too, and also much cheaper.

I've never used the KVR pads, so no experience with them. I use porterfield R4S pads for street, and light track duty.

For the track I use Carbotech P+'s. May be moving to the XP's soon.

Cobalt brake pads are awesome too.

Call Andy at Cobalt, or Matt at Carbotech. Both great guys, and they both know WAY more about brake pads than me. Tell them what your doing, and they will recommend an appropriate pad.

I HATE hawk HP's.. the Blues are good track pads, but the HP's suck. I could get them to fade 2-3 laps into a session.

Dousan_PG
06-02-2003, 11:37 AM
ive had KVRs. LOVE them. really great
now w/ the z brakes..dont know what i got..haha

going w/ URAS pads next. should be here ina couple weeks
still got the KVR in the back and does fine.

make sure fluid is good too. i got dot 3 right now but going 4 next time when change everything around.

MrMigs
06-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Looks like I'll go with the KVRs then. I found them on PDMs site -- they always seem to seel useful parts. They seem to be cheaper than the Metal Masters anways. :D

GotDriftS14
06-27-2003, 06:27 AM
how do the KVR pads compare to EBC Greenstuff or Redstuff?

old_s13
06-27-2003, 10:11 AM
After using many variations of brake components, I am most content with Z32-TT front and rear calipers, Z32 MC, and Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads w/ Brembo OEM rotors (not drilled or slotted).

If you can warp OR fade the above setup, you are probably not using your brakes correctly or doing some serious downhill road racing where you will need a much higher quality brake setup (stopteck, brembo, etc).

- Mike

sykikchimp
06-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by GotDriftS14
how do the KVR pads compare to EBC Greenstuff or Redstuff?

I personally hate the EBC pads. I've seen a set of redstuff pads completely disentigrate over the course of one track weekend.

GotDriftS14
06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
yeah ive heard similar things about the life of EBC pads, im going with KVR, ordering from PDM tonight. ;)

240sxspeedracer1
06-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp
I personally hate the EBC pads. I've seen a set of redstuff pads completely disentigrate over the course of one track weekend.
probably wasn't broken in correctly. takes around 300-500miles for correct break in.

Roly
06-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Axxis Original Deluxe. No fade, very little break dust, and $35 shipped from www.coximport.com . I've been using Axxis pads since 95 on 3 different cars and I'll never use another pad.

240_keyy
06-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I have the Axxis Metal Masters all around with my 30mm Z32 rotors and calipers up front and stock calipers and rotors in back. They bite like a mofo and I have not yet made them fade, and this is with extended heavy braking on uber twisty roads.

They kinda dust up a bit, but eh, what do I care? :)

mrdaniel
06-28-2003, 04:55 PM
ATE super blue is really cheap man..ten bucks a liter? come on!! haha its Castrol SRF thats expensive...$60 a liter but its almost impossible to boil it.

kalieaire
06-29-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by 240sxspeedracer1
probably wasn't broken in correctly. takes around 300-500miles for correct break in.

that's not how you break in brake pads.

you're supposed to bed them in.

either hold onto your brakes while driving along, or drive to 50mph and stop almost completely VERY QUICKLY, and get back to 50 mph, and do this a few times. then go onto the freeway and drive for 20 minutes w/o stopping or using your brakes.

then take your car home, barely using the brakes, and let them cool off.

the bed in procedure is more aggressive for more aggressive pads.

nrcooled
06-29-2003, 07:00 PM
I have Axxis now on the fronts and at the track I couldn't tell if the fadded or not beause my fluid about boiled out before I could get the pads to fade

I am going with the KVRs next