PDA

View Full Version : From DTM to JDM

WIshb0ne
05-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Well let me first start off by saying that i've been lurking around this forum since December... I originally Post at VWvortex.com a page for Vw i drive a Vw GTI Supercharged and it just recently went up on the market for sale...... I now i guess its time for me to get in touch with my asian roots and get a japanese car....Too tell you the truth the main reason i've decided to get a 240sx is .. DRIFTing...everyone from my dad to my cousins have done it and i guess its time for me to start doing it...Most of my cousins and friends already own RWD cars set up for drifting...Ranging from the Ae86 to the Toyota Soarer(lexus sc).... My questions are...
Has anyone ever changed from European to Japanese car?
How much Would a good drift car cost you?(suspension, engine, tires)
)i know there is alot of wear on the tires and clutch)

I know these are all Newbie questions...... Feels good to be a noob agian

BTW i am looking to buy a 240sx with Sr20det 93-97

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pf768bfd6691b101a4e1a70e2b50b8c63/fc3a478d.jpg

Fastback180
05-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Did you ever know Jake Gaskill? He had a nice blue GTI, it was supercharged, he had a lot done on it. Around 400hp. But he sold it, anyways. My friend is about to buy a Curado. And another is looking for a Sirocco.

You can get real good deals on 240's...From around $1000 to $2000. A friend I know is trying to sell his Hachi for cheap. The SR should cost you around $1500 then the install if you don't wanna do it your self. Suspension...replace your bushings and ball joints(around $200 all together), slap some strut bars on there (say a $100 a piece), throw some coilovers on ($1000), clutch is optional, I love the OEM Nissan clutches, Tires around $80 a pop for some nice 205/55 or 195/60 ones.

Why don't you ask your relatives what you need, seems they could tell you what's best and help you out.

WIshb0ne
05-23-2003, 09:11 AM
well i 've asked my uncle to do my SR swap....He's really good... done it before and only took him 3 hours + a couple of beers.... i see you live in Northern Va too... what year car?? i'm very intrested

Saul240
05-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by WIshb0ne
well i 've asked my uncle to do my SR swap....He's really good... done it before and only took him 3 hours + a couple of beers.... i see you live in Northern Va too... what year car?? i'm very intrested

thats pretty damn quick for an SR swap, too fast, i know Sam at jspec.com could do it in less than a day, and hes pro...

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Saul240
thats pretty damn quick for an SR swap, too fast, i know Sam at jspec.com could do it in less than a day, and hes pro...

haha
noooooo
Sam doesnt do SR swap!
phase2 (wayne and his crew) does it for him and with him

15. Late Sept 2002, Got lazy and delay the swap until now, took 3 week for the swap, but only work on it for 3 day during that 3 week.

Step 8: prep the motor while the SR and KA are side by side. for us we had phase2motortrend install Tomei head package and also Tomei Camshafts. if you don't know how to do it make sure you find someone who can like we did. all motor has to be taken apart correctly and put back correctly, it's not easy.

wow isnt mis information great! :rolleyes:

sam does know how, but waynes the EXPERT. and wayne does it all w/ no worries and such.

maybe you should learn more before making assumptions. hmmm

Saul240
05-23-2003, 10:39 AM
MY BAD....yes even wayne couldnt do it in 3 hours...thats my point overall, i dont think someone could do the SR swap in 3 hours, how is it even possible?

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Saul240
MY BAD....yes even wayne couldnt do it in 3 hours...thats my point overall, i dont think someone could do the SR swap in 3 hours, how is it even possible?

WHAT? 3 hours? hahaha..impossible. from pulling the engine to modifying the harness 3 hours. DREAM ON.

now if the engine is PREPPED and ready for drop. yeah 3 hours is possible. but not if you are pulling the engine froma clip and swapping in and doing AC lines and if its 89/90 adding SR..3 hours..shaa

no wayne cant too. takes them bout a week or less. they are very very very anal and perfectionists!! wayne runs a stand up business and his work is 100% awesome. he wont 1/2 a$$ it or cut corners

where do you get your info?! its horribly wrong

Saul240
05-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
WHAT? 3 hours? hahaha..impossible. from pulling the engine to modifying the harness 3 hours. DREAM ON.

now if the engine is PREPPED and ready for drop. yeah 3 hours is possible. but not if you are pulling the engine froma clip and swapping in and doing AC lines and if its 89/90 adding SR..3 hours..shaa

no wayne cant too. takes them bout a week or less. they are very very very anal and perfectionists!! wayne runs a stand up business and his work is 100% awesome. he wont 1/2 a$$ it or cut corners

where do you get your info?! its horribly wrong

i didnt say wayne could, and i didnt say sam could....if you look at the first post in htis thread, he says that his dad could to it in 3 hours with a beer, now Swaping the engine(just the harness) MIGHT be possible, but all the electrical would take long....what I am saying is it is impossible for that kids dad to do the swap in 3 hours....

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 10:49 AM
my bad
you were giving so much bad info it was confusing and i was laughing as i was typing

yeah 3 hours. i call BS depending how much of it was done in preperation.

Saul240
05-23-2003, 10:50 AM
my bad
you were giving so much bad info it was confusing and i was laughing as i was typing

yeah 3 hours. i call BS depending how much of it was done in preperation.

the only bad info i said was sam could do the SR swap in 1 day...thats it, if you read all my posts

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 10:53 AM
i dont think sam can. maybe he can. i can ask him next time see him
sam doesnt specialize in SR swap. its not his forte.
wayne does it. he's been doing it for many many years (possibly one of first guys w/ SR in west coast)

sam is very knowledgable but he's not swap guy.

you are still ASSUMING. post FACTS not assumptions about people. info you know FIRST HAND

Saul240
05-23-2003, 11:31 AM
i am not assuming i heard that Sam could do the SR swap in a little more than a day, thats what I heard, I am not assuming anything...but what I do know is, that a daddy cannot do the SR swap in 3 hours, its just not possible(the complete swap, electrical, harness,etc.)...I think we should just chug beers at whishbone :D ...no hard feeling dousan, btw I saw you at the RS*R event, I wanted to say hi, but you got a damn ride in teh supra! I hate you! lol...

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 11:41 AM
i SUUUCKED at RS*R. come out to DD5. my car is actually in proper alignment haha..finally. RS*R was a comedy of errors. you have no idea how many problems my car had. and mentally i wanst ready. just overall a bad day. riding w/ Hayashida was the only good thing for me! hahaa...

Saul240
05-23-2003, 11:47 AM
i SUUUCKED at RS*R. come out to DD5. my car is actually in proper alignment haha..finally. RS*R was a comedy of errors. you have no idea how many problems my car had. and mentally i wanst ready. just overall a bad day. riding w/ Hayashida was the only good thing for me! hahaa...

haha...that sux, I was in the practice drift video taping, knightrider, s15dude, Grant, and pruto...it went ok, but I wished it rained that day :(

Warwick5s
05-23-2003, 11:50 AM
i went from a vw to the 240 - actually, i went from 5 vw's to my 240 :) i've had two scirocco 16v's (still have one but it's dead right now), a 73 superbeetle, a 90 corrado g60, and the best one was the 200+ hp rabbit gti w/ a 2.1 16v engine and twin weber carburetors. mmmm that thing was like a tin can with a rocket engine :)

i felt like the 240 was a big step up, but all of my vws except the corrado were built on platforms introduced in the early 70's, vs the 240 that was a new platform in 89.

i still spend a lot of time on vwvortex. i'm '90corradog60' there, but i don't post a lot anymore. (i've got over 4k posts i believe, but most of that was back in the day when they had an off-topic)

AKADriver
05-23-2003, 12:08 PM
I still own my GTI. I daily drive it, 240SX just gets used on the weekends. Neat car, but not my style anymore... boring chassis, expensive parts. It's up for sale soon, probably. Know anyone in our area that wants a Schrick VGI?

pics yeah yeah yeah! (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/akadriver1/images/flares-bars/flares-front.jpg)

166hp at the wheels
Jetta front end, Euro flares
Stock suspension ( :o Maryland State Inspection sucks, it was on H&R Sport before)

MorganS13
05-23-2003, 12:58 PM
got some info on the GTI for sale?

s13silady
05-23-2003, 01:48 PM
aaaaahhh... i remember my old VW days...
used to drive a 95 Vento (jetta) with a 99 VR6 motor..
that thing flew.. then some lady decided to run the red going 75 and cream right into me.... then i got the car i wanted before i even started driving..my 240sx..:D

adey
05-23-2003, 02:59 PM
In my experience, the only cool VW guys drive MkIs, MkIIs and a few drive MkIIIs (like Johnny and his jetta). MkIV drivers are just anal and have too much money. They never do their own work and are just little snobs. :o I went to a VW meet or two, and the scene just isn't friendly unless you already know everyone and have been to meets before. And have dumped truckloads of cash into your car.
Just my experience... so seeing you drive a mkIII I am still skeptical. :D

Anyway, let me extend a (premature) welcome! With the exception of Dousan, you will find that most of us are pretty friendly, and that a few of us are vw fans ourselves (read: AKA and myself).
All I urge is that you keep an OPEN MIND when going about your 240 stuff... which means NOT limiting yourself to SR and coilovers, etc etc.

back to your original question: I moved from the vortex over to here over a year ago, and have never looked back. The VW scene is good in it's own way, but too up-scale, expensive, snobby and unfriendly/cold for me! Expect to pay $3000 for an S13 in good good condition, give or take maybe a grand depending on options (LSD, HICAS, ABS, Leather etc). You can get a rolling chassis for like $500. (no engine/some damage). . .

We look forward to seeing you at the tracks. :) And on the forum.

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by adey
With the exception of Dousan, you will find that most of us are pretty friendly, and that a few of us are vw fans ourselves (read: AKA and myself).

hey hey buddy! you want the rest of your money tonight?! hahahahaha..c u then. gotta get tires on then meet u up if you are going to the spot :p

AKADriver
05-23-2003, 03:47 PM
This post reminds me... there's a guy in the Vortex MkIII forum (next) that always posted pics of modded VWs from Japan. Some of them are hilarious... some cool cars though!

VWs are oddly popular there, VW has the highest customer satisfaction of any brand in Japan.

Ah here's some

MkIII Golf on Watanabes:
http://www.fureai-ch.ne.jp/%7Exiaolan/gaikan4.jpg

A nice Vento:
http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAjGqMRo8M2TM6aSeu!CP9B3mYUI2fpXcFQaBfUkhrNK6ylW jCykugj5n!jecgAdVfLzS6Q1atFigGSjAC6pA/Untitled-5.JPG

And a nice Golf:
http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NQB0cD4SgN82TM6aSeu!CLmkjVxbPEtSUhIge3BvAwFRH4VD0 VMEVP17B4hocrg8ixRaa94elAHlRYa1711qEw/Untitled-91.psd

What the f... it doesn't like those picture URLs I guess. copy and paste!

chokudoriS13
05-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Just like AKADriver and adey, I still have my Golf... As far as going from a VW to a 240SX, its night and day, IMHO. I took the Golf out for a canyon run last night (last time I did this in the Golf was at least 5 months ago), and it felt incredibly weird. I couldn't feel the car anymore, like I do with the S13.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pf6a6b3c478182420791e45f72379b9a8/fdc2c0c5.jpg

timmybgood
05-24-2003, 09:36 AM
i myself just went from DTM to JDM, I just picked up my 240 yesterday, and already it has blown away my getta, granted it was a 2.slow. Here's my getta

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid50/p652e7675cb6f945630ccf93b62b7eb46/fca96d21.jpg

WIshb0ne
05-24-2003, 05:08 PM
That blue GTI is sick man. .... its possible to do a 240 swap in 3 hr's my uncle is a maniac he can do it.. its been done before by him

AutoDestruct
05-25-2003, 06:53 AM
But dousan said its impossible. And as we all know he is God. I can't believe you guys would make such a mistake as not taken his word as the final one. Haha Ha . Dousan, You are so full of yourself that you are becoming a running joke to me. I don't care what you have seen "first hand" you are still "only human" Everything out of your mouth is how everybody's wrong or stupid. Get a life. Or better yet go consult your oracle Drift tengku or whatever. P.S. This isn't Japan.:mad:

mrmephistopheles
05-25-2003, 07:29 AM
AutoDestruct: do you have nothing better to do than flame me & Dousan?

AutoDestruct
05-25-2003, 08:24 AM
I have better things to do, I am just ignoring them. I almost feel as though It is my duty to stick up for the other side, whomever they are. I will stop as I see it is getting me nowhere. But I still feel the same on these topics. Truthfully though do you guys consider yourselves the top dog because you come off that way in every post I read with either of you in it. Maybe you are? It just is bothersome most of the time. I respect your opinions but only as much as the next guy. I do not believe you should be held in some sort of golden light. Prove me wrong. I am a realistic person and will admit defeat or wrong doing when it is warranted. I am sorry for coming off so angry and strong. I mean no harm.:(

WIshb0ne
05-25-2003, 09:18 AM
c'mon lets not get this thread locked... and trust me it can be done... i'll get it on timelapse if ya want proof

PARAD0X
05-25-2003, 09:47 AM
i don't mean to link to a honda forum, but their thread pertains to what AutoDestruct was saying. And its freakin hilarious

Paper bag head (http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB35&Number=1809562&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

transient
05-27-2003, 09:56 PM
hehe, that paper bag head man is some funny ****. Why don't we get crazy guys like that here? All we get is newbs that think they're hot enough to flame all the mods and residents :P (can you guess who i'm thinking of?)

Saul240
05-28-2003, 12:13 AM
haha its totally true, but in fact I do respect wrong or false information to be correct, but not in a harsh way....