PDA

View Full Version : 12 die in dual shootings at Fort Hood, Texas

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
FORT HOOD, Texas – A military mental health doctor facing deployment overseas opened fire at the Fort Hood Army post on Thursday, setting off on a rampage that killed 11 other people and left 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman, and the violence was believed to be the worst mass shooting in history at a U.S. military base.

The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., when shots were fired at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening, said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood.

"It's a terrible tragedy. It's stunning," Cone said.

A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

Two other soldiers taken into custody following the deadly rampage have been released, Fort Hood spokesman Christopher Haug told The Associated Press. "They're not believed to be involved in the incident," Haug said. He said a third person was in custody, however.

It was unclear what the motive was. U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said the Army major was about to deploy overseas, though it was unclear if he was headed to Iraq or Afghanistan and when he was scheduled to leave. Hutchison said she was told about the upcoming deployment by generals based at Fort Hood.

Military officials say Hasan, 39, was a psychiatrist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for six years before being transferred to the Texas base in July. The officials, who had access to Hasan's military record, said he received a poor performance evaluation while at Walter Reed. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because military records are confidential.

The Virginia-born soldier was single with no children. He graduated from Virginia Tech, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001. At Walter Reed, he did his internship, residency and a fellowship.

Officials were investigating whether Hasan was his birth name or if he may have changed his name, possibly as part of a conversion to Islam. However, they were not certain of his religion.

The Soldier Readiness Center holds hundreds of people and is one of the most populated parts of the base, said Steve Moore, a spokesman for III Corps at Fort Hood. Nearby there are barracks and a food center where there are fast food chains.

A graduation ceremony for soldiers who finished college courses while deployed was going on nearby at the time of the shooting, said Sgt. Rebekah Lampman, a Fort Hood spokeswoman.

Greg Schanepp, Carter's regional director in Texas, was at Fort Hood, said John Stone, a spokesman for Carter. Schanepp was at a graduation ceremony when a soldier who had been shot in the back came running toward him and alerted him of the shooting, Stone said. The soldier told Schanepp not to go in the direction of the shooter, he said.

The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said.

Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis., says her daughter, 19-year-old Amber Bahr, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition. "We know nothing, just that she was shot in the belly," Pfund told The Associated Press. She couldn't provide more details and only spoke with emergency personnel.

Pfund said Bahr joined the reserves when she was 17 to earn money for school and loved being in the military even though none of her friends were interested in joining the Army.

A Fort Hood spokesman said he could not immediately confirm any identities of the injured.

"I ask that all of you keep these families and these individuals in your prayers today," Texas Gov. Rick Perry said.

The shootings on the Texas military base stirred memories of other recent mass shootings in the United States, including 13 dead at a New York immigrant center in April, 10 killed during a gunman's rampage across Alabama in March and 32 killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

"The bottom line for us is that we are increasing security at our gates because the threat hasn't yet been defined, and we're reminding our Marines to be vigilant in their areas of responsibility," said Capt. Rob Dolan, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz.

In Washington, President Barack Obama called the shooting "a horrific outburst of violence." He said it's a tragedy to lose a soldier overseas and even more horrifying when they come under fire at an Army base on American soil.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," the commander in chief said. "We are going to stay on this."

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, the sprawling base is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

Fort Hood officially opened on Sept. 18, 1942, and was named in honor of Gen. John Bell Hood.

Yahoo! (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=16491987&ch=4226713&src=news) <--- Link to official statement made by some Lt Gen at the base.

What is it with soldiers killing their own people?

And I love how that Lt. Gen said the MP's acted fast...12 dead and 31 wounded is good?

S14DB
11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Shooter was a mental heath professional. Go figure.

How far away were the MPs?

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I guess the article was just updated, when I was posting this they hadn't identified the shooter. Oh look, interesting last name. I'll be looking forward to more info about that.

Edit. The media makes me sick. Their reporting is so.. I can't even think of a word to describe it. There's no common sense in it at all.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=16491715&ch=4226713&src=news

Good ol' Charles says that" it's a possibility that there were two different shooting incidents on the base, and perhaps it was a coordinated effort." No charlie, two people coincidentally decided to start shooting random people on the same base at the same time on the same day. For fuck sake. Even thought it's still not known whether or not that's the case, it's just so retarded to say something like that.

Then the AP writes this.. "what appears to be the worst mass shooting at a U.S. military base." Well, is it or is it not? It's not that fucking hard to figure out.

dert420sx
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
this worries me since that's where my younger brother is stationed when he isn't deployed in iraq. thankfully (or not, depends on p.o.v.) he's in iraq right now.

HyperTek
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
dam i was gonna say the military needs stricter background checks on people, jus dont go handing any fucktard who joins a gun.

Thats a shame, do they have any idea why the guy did it?
RIP to those in the military who lost their lives because of some fucktard. Even friendly fire upsets me =(

cisco240
11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I have a couple of friends whose unit was in that SRP building at the time getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan. Nobody from their unit was injured, but assisted with first aid.
The crazy thing for me is that I was going to volunteer to deploy with them & could have been in that building too.

cisco240
11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
dam i was gonna say the military needs stricter background checks on people, jus dont go handing any fucktard who joins a gun.

Thats a shame, do they have any idea why the guy did it?
RIP to those who past cuz of this fucktard
According to the news, the shooter was a Major, so he has have to been in the Army for a while now. From what I read, he was newly promoted and was upset about having to deploy overseas.
The handguns he used were most likely his own.

HyperTek
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
dam thats horrible, he should have took himself out.

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Suicide by MP.

So gonna hit up a gun show in Reno next weekend.

Update:

T0hiw8iXdMM

tricky_ab
11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Jesus Christ this is just plan crazy...

lewisfk
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
It's not crazy, what do u think when u fight an ongoing war with no break! Machines break and so do people! We cant say why this idiot went on a rampage but what we can do is learn from this as a nation. With war there is death and yes it's shocking when the innocent die especially when it's our own.

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 06:22 PM
It's not crazy, what do u think when u fight an ongoing war with no break! Machines break and so do people!

Breaking down, sure. So you kill yourself, or beat your wife and kids, or become an alcoholic. That's not crazy because it's common (sadly). But shooting almost 50 people is crazy...especially given his job in the Army. I hate to sound prejudice, but given his name and the fact that he's supposedly Islamic, I think there was more to this then just "breaking down"

mRclARK1
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
They did arrest two other people... Three shooters maybe? That might explain how so many were killed and wounded before the situation was stopped. Not to mention surprise.

I can't say I was/would ever expect to be shot at during day to day base routines.

You're supposed to be safe there... :-/ ... But the sad truth now is that you're not safe anywhere.

This is horrible.

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
They did arrest two other people... Three shooters maybe?

"Two other soldiers taken into custody following the deadly rampage have been released, Fort Hood spokesman Christopher Haug told The Associated Press. "They're not believed to be involved in the incident," Haug said. He said a third person was in custody, however."

I'm going to update the original post, they keep updating the article.

mRclARK1
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
^^^Yeah I hadn't seen that in the article I read. This story is still really developing.

If he was alone, I just can't believe NO ONE took him down sooner. It's not expected by any means... But still. Fuck...

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that's why I made the comment about the Lt. Gen saying the MP's acted fast.

SexPanda
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Only MP's and people guarding high profile people are allowed to carry weapons on an army post. I remember Ft Leonard Wood. MP's were everywhere, but it always took them a good 5 minutes to get anywhere just because of the layout and the people on the roads.

Ft Hood is even bigger than ft wood. I can't imagine getting 10 miles in 5 minutes to be easy.

mRclARK1
11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that's why I made the comment about the Lt. Gen saying the MP's acted fast.

I read the article and posted... But yeah, I'd be interested in details of what and how things went down in reaction when the shooting started.

I have a few friends and people I know at Fort Hood... Thankfully they're all unharmed.

Only MP's and people guarding high profile people are allowed to carry weapons on an army post. I remember Ft Leonard Wood. MP's were everywhere, but it always took them a good 5 minutes to get anywhere just because of the layout and the people on the roads.

Ft Hood is even bigger than ft wood. I can't imagine getting 10 miles in 5 minutes to be easy.

True. But I just find it strange, true or not, that no one reacted in a manner (having no firearm aside) to stop him. Then again... I suppose one of the dead or wounded may have attempted to do just that.

Agamemnon
11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
It's not crazy, what do u think when u fight an ongoing war with no break! Machines break and so do people!

What was there to break? According to the article, the gunman hadn't been deployed, ever. Its not like that this guy had served 4 tours nonstop and snapped due to stress. The asshole didnt want to go(shouldn't have signed up then), and decided fuck shit up.

BTW, what is the deal with Virginia-Tech producing soo many killers? Good Christ!

RiversideS13
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
just saw some article mentioned Nidal Malik Hasan is a Muslim. Now I seen articles that tried to direct readers in different directions with their personal bias as
1. he is Muslim and please fill up rest with your imagination
2. He gone nuts because the stress going to the war. we should not send solder to oversea
3. recruiters had lower their standard

cc4usmc
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
He's not dead. Someone needs to get their head out of their ass. cougharmycough

Army: Fort Hood shooting rampage suspect is alive

FORT HOOD, Texas – A military mental health doctor facing deployment overseas opened fire at the Fort Hood Army post on Thursday, setting off on a rampage that killed 12 people and left 31 wounded, Army officials said.

Authorities said immediately after the shootings that they had killed the suspected shooter, but later in the evening they recanted and said that he was alive and in stable condition at a hospital, watched by a guard.

"His death is not imminent," said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood. He offered little explanation for the mistake, other than to say there was confusion at the hospital.

A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The violence was believed to be the worst mass shooting in history at a U.S. military base.

The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., when shots were fired at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening, Cone said.

It was unclear what the motive was, though it appeared he was upset about a scheduled deployment. U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said the Army major was about to deploy overseas, though it was unclear if he was headed to Iraq or Afghanistan and when he was scheduled to leave. Hutchison said she was told about the upcoming deployment by generals based at Fort Hood.

SimpleS14
11-05-2009, 08:00 PM
He probably snapped from seeing various end results from the patients he dealt with and predicting it would be 10x worse for him. IDK...I'm just speculating.

It's truly sad news for the family and friends that lost a loved one in this manner. =/

lewisfk
11-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Breaking down, sure. So you kill yourself, or beat your wife and kids, or become an alcoholic. That's not crazy because it's common (sadly). But shooting almost 50 people is crazy...especially given his job in the Army. I hate to sound prejudice, but given his name and the fact that he's supposedly Islamic, I think there was more to this then just "breaking down"

Man, ive reviewed so many PTSD screening sheets and reevaluated people comming back from war and ive seen many medical personal snap over this! The medical staff are the worse ones of all, corpsman spend so much time with their marines tending to their needs we forget about ourselves. Look i didnt want to say the guy did it because of his race or nationality but damn its hard not to question it!

HyperTek
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
its ok guys, he will plead mentally ill and walk scott-free

burn that muthfawka

hegamiz
11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
so there were first 1,2,3, then 4 shooters. now there's 1. first he was dead 4 hours later he's alive... shot 40+ with two hand guns... and now there's a "Ford Crown Victoria and carrying men in suits" (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/05/texas.fort.hood.witnesses/) << link to that. hmmm...

Gnnr
11-05-2009, 09:19 PM
This is terrible. :( :( :(

SexPanda
11-05-2009, 09:48 PM
so there were first 1,2,3, then 4 shooters. now there's 1. first he was dead 4 hours later he's alive... shot 40+ with two hand guns... and now there's a "Ford Crown Victoria and carrying men in suits" (http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/05/texas.fort.hood.witnesses/) << link to that. hmmm...

Possibly CID. They often drive civilian looking vehicles, very low key, and dress in civilian clothes when they're working. I dunno about suits. Could be NSA...

tricky_ab
11-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Well I hope patriotic Arab soldiers don't get any shit over this.

drift_limo
11-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Just heard about this, pretty crazy here is my dilema.
If this is happening on our US military bases with our own people. I dont know if I should be more worried our own mental american people or "terrorist"?

Seriously think about it .

Omarius Maximus
11-06-2009, 05:53 AM
god damned arabs ruin it for every other "middle eastern" in the U.S.

S14DB
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Just heard about this, pretty crazy here is my dilema.
If this is happening on our US military bases with our own people. I dont know if I should be more worried our own mental american people or "terrorist"?

Seriously think about it .
Oklahoma City...

cc4usmc
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Investigators: Military to charge Ft. Hood suspect

WASHINGTON – Investigative officials say the Army psychiatrist accused of the Fort Hood massacre will be charged by the U.S. military rather than in a civilian court.

The officials also say Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan communicated 10 to 20 times with a radical imam overseas who in the past came under scrutiny for possible links to terror groups. They say the communications began last year and continued into this year between Hasan and the imam, Anwar al-Awlaki, and that U.S. officials had been aware of them since last year.

The officials spoke Monday evening on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation. Awlaki writes a blog that denounces U.S. policies as anti-Muslim.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Army psychiatrist accused of the Fort Hood massacre reached out to communicate with a radical imam overseas who in the past came under scrutiny for possible links to terror groups, a U.S. official said Monday.

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan sent electronic communications to the imam, Anwar al Awlaki, according to this official, who was not authorized to discuss the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity. Awlaki, who was released from a jail in Yemen last year, writes a blog which, among other things, denounces U.S. policies as anti-Muslim.

Hasan's messages were picked up by U.S. counterterrorism officials, but an inquiry into the matter was shelved because the contacts were not deemed to suggest a threat, this official said. Investigators are now trying to determine whether Hasan has any links to terror groups.

In Killeen, Texas, near Fort Hood, Hasan's lawyer expressed doubt that his client could get a fair trial. Hasan remains under guard at a military hospital but began talking to doctors there on Monday.

Retired Col. John P. Galligan, a defense attorney retained by Hasan's family on Monday, said he did not know whether Hasan had been medically cleared to be interviewed, but he asked investigators not to speak to his client.

"There's a lot of facts that still need to be developed, and the time for that will come in due course," Galligan said.

Hasan, 39, is accused of opening fire at the Army post on Thursday, killing 13 people and wounding 29 before civilian police shot him in the torso.

Hasan was awake and talking on Monday, said Dewey Mitchell, a spokesman for Brooke Army Medical Center.

Investigators are trying to establish a motive in the shootings. But details that have emerged indicate Hasan was an observant Muslim who was strongly opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and appeared to be struggling to reconcile his faith and his duty as a military officer. His family said he was going to be sent to Afghanistan in November and was trying to get out of the assignment.

Authorities have not said when charges would be filed, or whether Hasan would be prosecuted in a military court or a civilian one.

Galligan questioned whether Hasan could get a fair trial, particularly given President Barack Obama's planned visit to the base on Tuesday for a memorial service.

"You've got his commander in chief showing up tomorrow," Galligan said. "That same kind of publicity naturally creates an issue as to whether you find a fair and impartial forum, whether that's in the military or even if it were in a federal forum."

Meanwhile, Awlaki, a radical American imam who had contact with two of the Sept. 11 hijackers and was a spiritual leader at a Virginia mosque where Hasan was said to have worshipped occasionally, praised the U.S. soldier on his personal Web site Monday.

"Nidal Hassan is a hero," wrote Awlaki, who lives in Yemen. "He is a man of conscience who could not bear living the contradiction of being a Muslim and serving in an army that is fighting against his own people."

In December, Awlaki, on his Web site, encouraged Muslims across the world to kill U.S. troops in Iraq.

Awlaki left the United States in 2002, eventually traveling to Yemen. His whereabouts have been unknown since he was released from a Yemeni jail last year. He is on Yemen's most-wanted militant list, according to three Yemeni security officials.

The officials said Awlaki was arrested in 2006 with a small group of suspected al-Qaida militants. They said he was released more than a year later after signing a pledge not to break the law or leave the country. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Hasan's family attended the Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., where Awlaki was preaching in 2001. Hasan's mother's funeral was held at the mosque on May 31, 2001, according to her obituary. That was around the same time two 9/11 hijackers worshipped at the mosque.

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, outreach director for the Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center, said Monday that staff members of the mosque saw Hasan at prayer services occasionally. But he said he didn't know if Hasan ever heard Awlaki speak, and added that Hasan was not an active member.

"As we understand it, there was no relationship between Imam Awlaki and Maj. Hasan, not to our knowledge," he said.

The Falls Church mosque is one of the largest on the East Coast, and thousands of worshippers attend prayers and services there every we

My favorite part of the article is "Hasan's lawyer expressed doubt that his client could get a fair trial."

lol. Someone put this guy to sleep, I can see this becoming a mess.