PDA

View Full Version : producers/beat makers thread

HyperTek
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
yo where you guys at? what you use? software of choice etc..

Just seein if theres any zilvians on here.

JEDIs13
10-29-2009, 11:00 PM
dont really make beats but i enjoy beat juggling on my turntables.
i have tried making beats on fruity loops but i dont have the patience for that

*EDIT* one of my favorite juggles
dj idee using the lady sovereign love me or hate me beat
P_rSUGaVTq8

10-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I do, but I agree it takes a lot of work and time. Been DJing for a bit then decided I wanted to get into the production end just recently. Now I am kinda mixing it up a bit with traktor scratch pro using 4 virtual decks. Using loops on 4 virtual decks you can make some pretty cool stuff. Fun stuff but in the end just a hobby for me.

I am using Samplitude Pro, way too expensive but got a smoking deal that I couldn't pass up on.

Ones I recommend are:

Ableton
Cubase
Sonar
Logic
Reason

HyperTek
10-30-2009, 12:43 AM
some kid at school was talkin about making beats on his computer with sonic producer and i was thinking I got way more gear than him
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_63cf0edbf664d472b62baecb0789285e.jpg
my stuff is budget gear but gets the job done.
i need to get back into it.

i use ableton live 8
download a shit ton of drum packs via torrent
and a shit tone of mp3s, oldschool , etc to rip/sample from
i been planin to flow once i get some decent beats, i could care less about bein tryin to become a producer, but rather do my own shit so i can rap on it tho.

10-30-2009, 01:09 AM
I am at work right now so the picture and youtube is blocked, but I think I recall seeing your setup which was very nice.

[edit] ok can see the picture now, definitely a nice setup for sure HyperTek!!

11-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Woke up early and decided to throw some Sunday morning beats together.

http://www.tougehero.com/beatscratch.mp3

Started off with just a simple beat using my mpc with some cymbals and scratches, then added some synth action.

ZenkiKid
11-01-2009, 09:38 AM
dont really make beats but i enjoy beat juggling on my turntables.
i have tried making beats on fruity loops but i dont have the patience for that

*EDIT* one of my favorite juggles
dj idee using the lady sovereign love me or hate me beat
P_rSUGaVTq8

You and I both, i have some footage of youtube but its whack look up "kidkato"

drift freaq
11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Used a lot of things, Used to use a Yamaha RY30 a secret weapon drum machine among Jungle producers back in the 90's. Pretty much committed all the beats and loops I made to audio and then took it from there.

My main weapon of choice is Logic, I have been using it for 14 years. Oh and I don't just program beats and find music samples to put with it. I write the music note for note, as well as all instrument parts.

Honestly I am going to say this and its probably going to piss some of you off.
Just because you DJ does not mean you can write good music. Writing good music and writing music takes a certain amount of talent.

Oh and just because you write music does not mean you can DJ either LOL. Both things take a talent.

It also goes as well for producers. Just because you write beats and or write music or DJ does not automatically make you a Producer. Again real producers and real production takes talent.

For instance a engineer can be a great sound engineer than record stuff great and get mixs spot on. Though he or she might be able to make that finished product stand out like a Real producer can.
Producers, know when or when not to add compression, or eq, when to fade in or out.

Plus real producers can sit there and know the musical transitions and even help the act with it, I.E. have musical training background to begin with if not coming from the side of audio engineering as well.
Hell sometimes they can even sing the part to the vocalist. So they vocalist knows how the producer, see's it sounding or feels it needs to sound.

Now with all that said a lot of people these days think that because they bought a beat making program and or they are DJ's and dabbling in composing it makes them a producer.
It does not. The producer term gets tossed around quite easily these days by people who don't have a clue about real sound production.

This does not mean that a DJ cannot be a producer. I happen to know some DJ's that are actually good producers. They also come from a musical background i.e. know how to play instruments. Know how to write music etc...

11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
^+1 agree 100%, coming from DJing and trying production as of late, is a total new ball game. Way harder for me at least. The little piece (wouldn't call it a song) that I put together this morning I did complete from scratch using drum pads and actually playing the midi notes via a midi keyboard for the 3 synths I added.

You can construct a song in the club or what have you DJing using loops, stabs, samples, and what not. And with 4 decks with traktor scratch pro it can be great fun. In the end you have a song complete of your own, BUT I wouldn't say you produced it. Well I guess you kinda created it, but didn't compose it. It's kinda a gray area.

I like doing both, because they are challenging and fun.

drift freaq
11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
^+1 agree 100%, coming from DJing and trying production as of late, is a total new ball game. Way harder for me at least. The little piece (wouldn't call it a song) that I put together this morning I did complete from scratch using drum pads and actually playing the midi notes via a midi keyboard for the 3 synths I added.

You can construct a song in the club or what have you DJing using loops, stabs, samples, and what not. And with 4 decks with traktor scratch pro it can be great fun. In the end you have a song complete of your own, BUT I wouldn't say you produced it. Well I guess you kinda created it, but didn't compose it. It's kinda a gray area.

I like doing both, because they are challenging and fun.

you are correct about that. I know many people, who for years when I was performing live would tell me, I should just toss the equipment get some tables and start spinning. Especially because they pay you bank to go play in Europe if you have records out.
Never had an interest in being a Pro DJ. I know way to many of them. LOL I also knew way to many songwriter composers that decided they would DJ and were horrible, big names too!

airforceone451
11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I listen to a lot of trance music and that got me into producing it. I've been using FL Studio and Reason for about a year and a half and my stuff still sucks balls.

HyperTek
11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I understand, yeah i see alot of homemade guys who sound like crap and it makes you think they are just wasting their time lol

11-01-2009, 02:25 PM
you are correct about that. I know many people, who for years when I was performing live would tell me, I should just toss the equipment get some tables and start spinning. Especially because they pay you bank to go play in Europe if you have records out.
Never had an interest in being a Pro DJ. I know way to many of them. LOL I also knew way to many songwriter composers that decided they would DJ and were horrible, big names too!

haha yeah I have no interest in the proDJ crap, and I use the word "pro" loosely.

JesusFreakDrifter
11-01-2009, 06:16 PM
some kid at school was talkin about making beats on his computer with sonic producer and i was thinking I got way more gear than him
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_63cf0edbf664d472b62baecb0789285e.jpg

i use ableton live 8
i been planin to flow once i get some decent beats, i could care less about bein tryin to become a producer, but rather do my own shit so i can rap on it tho.

thats similar to the setup i want, i am more into recording, but i will start making beats soon...my future plans are to get the mpd24, keyrig 49, i already have protools 8 le, fruityloops 8 xxl, mbox2 mini, and akg perception 220 (i hate being broke lol)

ESmorz
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Made this awhile back when I was familiarizing myself with Acid, Virtual DJ, and Fruity Loops. Sampled a bit of a Moby track.

zSHARE - Love In the Head.mp3 (http://www.zshare.net/audio/62915351bae1070c/)

sileighty83
11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I am a DJ and a Producer as well more of a producer now but I try. Just been making beats for less then a year. Here's a link to my sound click at the bottem.... which I need to update. Using FL studio 8 and M-audio Axiom 25. I know its not a ballar program or equipment but it gets the job done.

Music page of deejay TY - MP3 music page on SoundClick (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=346695&content=music)

BustedS13
11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/forum_images/fullSize/f/7/f7944_ORIG-i_am_monitoring_this_thread.jpg

this has always been an interest of mine, but something i've never been able to get into. i think i just want to digitally dj, be a walking jukebox, maybe mix a little bit. what's a good app to start with?

JEDIs13
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Used a lot of things, Used to use a Yamaha RY30 a secret weapon drum machine among Jungle producers back in the 90's. Pretty much committed all the beats and loops I made to audio and then took it from there.

My main weapon of choice is Logic, I have been using it for 14 years. Oh and I don't just program beats and find music samples to put with it. I write the music note for note, as well as all instrument parts.

Honestly I am going to say this and its probably going to piss some of you off.
Just because you DJ does not mean you can write good music. Writing good music and writing music takes a certain amount of talent.

Oh and just because you write music does not mean you can DJ either LOL. Both things take a talent.

It also goes as well for producers. Just because you write beats and or write music or DJ does not automatically make you a Producer. Again real producers and real production takes talent.

For instance a engineer can be a great sound engineer than record stuff great and get mixs spot on. Though he or she might be able to make that finished product stand out like a Real producer can.
Producers, know when or when not to add compression, or eq, when to fade in or out.

Plus real producers can sit there and know the musical transitions and even help the act with it, I.E. have musical training background to begin with if not coming from the side of audio engineering as well.
Hell sometimes they can even sing the part to the vocalist. So they vocalist knows how the producer, see's it sounding or feels it needs to sound.

Now with all that said a lot of people these days think that because they bought a beat making program and or they are DJ's and dabbling in composing it makes them a producer.
It does not. The producer term gets tossed around quite easily these days by people who don't have a clue about real sound production.

This does not mean that a DJ cannot be a producer. I happen to know some DJ's that are actually good producers. They also come from a musical background i.e. know how to play instruments. Know how to write music etc...

couldn't have said it better myself.

this has always been an interest of mine, but something i've never been able to get into. i think i just want to digitally dj, be a walking jukebox, maybe mix a little bit. what's a good app to start with?

digitally dj? why? there is no fun in that. but if you want try traktor.

i would just spend the cash and get some used tables.
if you dont wanna waste money on vinyl then get serato or something.
i dont really like it.. it has some modes that most would consider cheating lol.. shit will automatically match beats for you. IMO
thats one of the hardest things to get down when mixing, especially mixing hip hop.. its pretty easy when mixing techno/house music

the only thing i like about programs like serato is the fact that you can get music as fast as you can download it.
it sucks searching the few record shops left for new music.
i know there are websites where they send you new singles every month but by the time you get the shit its already played out hahaha

11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
+1 Digital DJing is boring and honestly what is the point. You are doing it for fun.

Vinyl is the way to go and just collecting vinyl in itself can be fun. It's addicting.

I use Traktor Scratch Pro which is a DVS. Digital vinyl system. Just read about it, but basically I use two tables and can play any of my vinyl and also play time-coded vinyl. With time-coded vinyl it's like slapping you 320k mp3 (if you buy less than 320k I will kill you) on the vinyl. You can now scratch, beat-match or whatever just like normal vinyl.

Programs like traktor pro and itch are gay

BustedS13
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a sizable vinyl collection, but it's for proper handling and use with my good stereo

Id rather be able to manipulate any song tjhat comes to mind without, you know, buying it

11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
First off support the artist.

How would you like to bust your ass creating a track just to have it stolen.

Second I just gave you a way to use either vinyl or mp3 on the same system. DVS allows you to use both.

Third what is this good system for only vinyl? The only thing that matters when playing vinyl in regards to preservation is the stylus, so I hope you have a good stylus and have it setup correctly.

If you don't want to learn proper beatmatching using decks with vinyl or time coded (mp3/wav) vinyl go itch or traktor.

hotlavaflow
11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Djing for years did production as well worked with a few labels then fell off into car building and tuning. Right now I'm trying to get back into it. I have Cubase on a G4 Mac, vinyl and mp3 options and lots of equipment I just need a midi controller to really start in again.

repda916
11-02-2009, 10:05 PM
here is my buddy
alllll FL
Sanoroc on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/sanorocmusic)

exitspeed
11-03-2009, 08:08 AM
This thread needs more music and less chat.

Dutchmalmiss
11-04-2009, 09:45 AM
All I've been using is FL studio. I'm pretty limited because I don't know how to play piano or read notes haha.

In that case, if I wanted to take it up a notch, should I go for a midi controller or a drum machine? or both?

drift freaq
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
All I've been using is FL studio. I'm pretty limited because I don't know how to play piano or read notes haha.

In that case, if I wanted to take it up a notch, should I go for a midi controller or a drum machine? or both?

Both, learn how to play the keys and learn how to program beats. You will find you have better control over things. Learning the keys, can teach you about composition. If you take the time to study how songs are written based on reading and listening.

Having a drum machine is two fold because its a metronome and its a creative tool as well. It can teach the fundamentals of basic beats and complex beats and programming them. Which can give you the drummers perspective, in relation to the music. Both are extremely valuable tools.
it would not hurt to get a guitar and try and tackle that as well if you feel up to it. The more well rounded you are musically the better you are at understanding the fundamentals of how it should sound. With that it gives you a leg up in the production department.
Knowing how each instrument would be played or placed in a song naturally really expands compositional and production capabilities.

R33E8
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM

i use ableton live 8

I'm surprised no one has said anything about your speakers.. I had those EXACT ones and switched to KRK RP5's.. I listened to previous beats I made and realized how shitty they sounded when I thought I "mastered" them.. I can't bear listening to anything on those Logitec speakers anymore.. After I got the KRK the mastered quality of my beats sounded MUCH better (notice I did not say amazing, I don't have skills or equipment like that) everywhere including the car test.. They also don't make your ears tired nearly as fast.. Now I can go on making beats and stuff for hours on end with no problem..

ESmorz
11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Both, learn how to play the keys and learn how to program beats. You will find you have better control over things. Learning the keys, can teach you about composition. If you take the time to study how songs are written based on reading and listening.

Having a drum machine is two fold because its a metronome and its a creative tool as well. It can teach the fundamentals of basic beats and complex beats and programming them. Which can give you the drummers perspective, in relation to the music. Both are extremely valuable tools.
it would not hurt to get a guitar and try and tackle that as well if you feel up to it. The more well rounded you are musically the better you are at understanding the fundamentals of how it should sound. With that it gives you a leg up in the production department.
Knowing how each instrument would be played or placed in a song naturally really expands compositional and production capabilities.

I am a drum machine.

:rimshot:

JesusFreakDrifter
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM

i use ableton live 8
wat headphones do you use if any?

HyperTek
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm surprised no one has said anything about your speakers.. I had those EXACT ones and switched to KRK RP5's.. I listened to previous beats I made and realized how shitty they sounded when I thought I "mastered" them.. I can't bear listening to anything on those Logitec speakers anymore.. After I got the KRK the mastered quality of my beats sounded MUCH better (notice I did not say amazing, I don't have skills or equipment like that) everywhere including the car test.. They also don't make your ears tired nearly as fast.. Now I can go on making beats and stuff for hours on end with no problem..

yeah monitors is on my list of must needs. I was using my reciever/bookshelf speakers for a while but gave up the reciever for family business so im jus on these. i need to pick up some headphones, but this is a hobby so far.

drift freaq
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM

I currently use KRK V8 Series II. RP5's actually would make a great surround sound system setup with a center and a sub. 7:1 baby.

I actually want to upgrade to the Newest KRK V8 series as they are pretty sick.

HyperTek
11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
i need to spit on this soon
http://mymassageworks.com/audio/tek_machine.mp3
you'll never guess what i sampled

yeah monitors will be on the list of upgrades. for now i can only jus take my track and listen to it on other players/speakers to get a idea of how it sounds.

drift freaq
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
i need to spit on this soon
http://mymassageworks.com/audio/tek_machine.mp3
you'll never guess what i sampled

yeah monitors will be on the list of upgrades. for now i can only jus take my track and listen to it on other players/speakers to get a idea of how it sounds.

sounds vaguely familiar. I know I have heard it somewhere before.