PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to stop??

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
After having a talk with the Girlfriend this weekend, and being sick as a dog, and forced to be here at work (Working OT).. I have come to a crossroad...

I have been playing around with car's Since I was old enough to walk.. But It feels like I have lost interest.. I have this awesome 300ZX project i started, But it feels like i have lost my Drive to finish it..

I have been thinking about a Home, since the market is right... Maybe Marriage, Kids, finer things in my homes..

I have a Wonderful Great Paying Job with the Department of the Army.. Great Retirement going...

I guess I am just in that Mood where I am not sure where I want to go with my Project.. But this mood just does not seem to go away..

lflkajfj12123
10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
29? get out while you can

as soon as i turn 25 i'm done with this shit

I LUV MY S13
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
take care of whats important first....and see how you feel after that

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, It's hard.. I have this Over the shouder look.. Like i know i will miss it.. But i just dont want to walk in my Garage.. More Idea's then anything else..

lflkajfj12123
10-25-2009, 05:47 PM
cars are a fun hobby

but not a priority

Matej
10-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Once you start taking cars seriously, all the fun goes away.

I just want to put big wheels and knockoff aero on them. Hope I never have to look at another engine again.

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 05:49 PM
cars are a fun hobby

but not a priority

Very True... Sooooo Very True

ESmorz
10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Sell it and go to Ikea.

I LUV MY S13
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
keep the project, propose to your girl, get a house and see how you feel then

Brian
10-25-2009, 05:54 PM
If you are doing well enough that you can keep the car around as a toy, go for it.
If you could sell it off and make some extra funds to put away, that's great too.

I think once you're done, you'll know.

You can always start a car hobby again later in life.

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 05:55 PM
keep the project, propose to your girl, get a house and see how you feel then

Yeah I was thinking about just putting it in Storage... I already have alot of money into it.. But I do need to Propose...

She has been my Bestfriend for 11 Years and we have been in a Relationship for coming on 6 years... I think it's time..

S14_Kouki
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
cars are a fun hobby

but not a priority

This is tru but you should always have something that you enjoy doing. People have boats, cars, trucks, bikes, model planes and boats in bottles. Just cause you get older and realize fast cars and hot woman aren't the only great things in life, does not mean you just have to give up on them.

beefyx323x
10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
if you can afford it, store the car, propose... and if your still not feeling it in a few years... part out and sell... good luck to you!

240love
10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah I was thinking about just putting it in Storage... I already have alot of money into it.. But I do need to Propose...

She has been my Bestfriend for 11 Years and we have been in a Relationship for coming on 6 years... I think it's time..

congrats man on thinking about proposing .... im getting married in 2 weeks and i made the decision to sell my car which i already did a while back.

priority man

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I am a lucky Man though, she hasn't really pressured me for it.. She wants me to make the move on my own .. She is really wonderful actually..

Ceepo
10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Thats awesoem you got a keeper :D, keep your car and do the other things first, then see how you feel...

Drift N Dragg
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah I do!!! And she loves me working on cars and wanting to get to the track, But I feel bad.. like I should be doing more for her.. She has already done so much for me.. .But I think I will end up with just Storing the Car and the parts and Be with her 100% focused on her and our future and come back to the car and see how it feels then... But I will never stop surfing this Site.. Zilvia is my 2nd home,even though I do not have a high post count I see read alot of whats on here... and there are times I have a long ass comment ready.. and I just hit delete and laugh.. haha! Because sometimes its just funnier watching someone else hang themselves ( I know Have done it before.. LMAO)

ayuaddict
10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
i strongly believe that you can live a happy and comfortable life while messing around with cars.

the two do not need to be equal in priority, obviously for you your marriage and your family's future would be far more important, but they can coexist!

that's what i think, but then again i will be the first to admit that i am only 20 years old. i have been living on my own for the past two years and to be honest i think my life would be FAR easier if i was not "into" cars. but to be fair, if i had a time machine i wouldn't change a thing.

drift freaq
10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Its like this. Out of high school and into college cars became my life. I had my own Japanese engine and transmission business and I bought and sold and collected 240Z's. Needless to say I hit a point about 10 years out where there were things that took priority. I made some changes in my life. I actually went down a road I had been destined to go down all along. I sold all my 240Z's. Looking back I could say I wish I had held onto at least one of them. Though at the time I was not thinking that way. In fact I was burnt out on the car business. LOL
I bought a Nissan Hardbody truck pretty much new i.e. still under warranty 1 1/2 years old. Great truck and I went back to school for sound production and engineering. I lived my life quite happily, promoted night clubs and Raves. Had a lot of fun, wrote music, engineered music. Moved to socal, truck did not have air conditioning. LOL Itched to drive a Sports car again. This was 99 mind you. Not a lot of Options in the brand new Sports car department unless you liked Miata's. Not being a super big fan of small convertibles. I bought a 240sx. Having test driven them when they came out in 89. Yes it had air. 10 years later here I am sucked into playing around with them, buying and selling them and parts. LOL
I write music today and I produce music today. Fact is I do both, cars and music and I am quite happy about that.

Ok whats the moral here? Well basically in explaining all that two things come into thought.
1. You can always put a hobby that might also be a second career down and come back to it later on.
2. You really can't take the gearhead out of the person, eventually even if you do put it down it will creep back into your life.

Basically your life can exist with your career and being a gearhead and even racing if you choose to spend your money that way.

If you feel its time to set it aside? Do it that is fine. If you are into it as much as it sounds like you are eventually you will come back it.
Oh and if the girl likes that do it. Don't worry and go ahead. Fact is you never want a women who is going to dictate your hobby.
Aya does not tell me not to work on cars and I don't tell her not to go shopping. LOL

sidewaysil80
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
i went throught the same phase when i got married. sold the car bought a lexus and sported that, hell i even drove my wifes volvo every now and then :ghey:. 3 months later i was miserable and missed 240's WAYYYYY too much. started slowly turning the is300 into a "vip" car and eventually realized that was wasn't scratching the itch, so turned it back to stock and with the money started another 240 project. as long as your not neglecting your future/priorities to build a car their is no reason you cant balance a "grown up" life and an auto hobby. sure their are times i'd love to just spend the money in my checking acct. to buy that next part i need and finish the project sooner...BUT you have to be able to think ahead and realize that part can wait...but family/financial obligations cant...if you can realize this you'll be fine. just remember, you can take a break from this hobby and come back to it at more pheasible/financialy stable time. anywhoo just my :2c:

CrimsonRockett
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
If you are into it as much as it sounds like you are eventually you will come back it.
Oh and if the girl likes that do it. Don't worry and go ahead. Fact is you never want a women who is going to dictate your hobby.
Aya does not tell me not to work on cars and I don't tell her not to go shopping. LOL

So fucking true.

:rofl:

HyperTek
10-25-2009, 11:37 PM
fuck 240s, sacrifice it now and move on to better cars, cars with historic /race background on an international field, not just japan., play/mod porsches or old ferraris (i want to mod a 328 into a 288 gto killer) thats where i hope to see myself in the next few years. i start school tomorrow, gonna limp my rx7 while im going, on the verge to sell it to get another benz but thats gonna another project car so i might as well just keep rollin what i have.

I actually look forward to getting a go kart in a few years too, even if i am too late to progress into a racing career, karting looks fun as hell and competitive.

But im a single guy, i can still dream about having these toys on the side =) , at least if your gonna invest your time, have something worthwhile, so when your kids ask you what you did wiht your time, you wanna tell them you did some cool shit. "What you gon' tell your kids n**ga? Who was you? What was you doin? How did you put it down? " ~ 2pac

S13Boosts
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Handles....

azndoc
10-25-2009, 11:53 PM
If your not having fun anymore or having doubts just get out for a bit.

When your ready to get back into it its still gonna be around.

It's just a car.

mr.booie
10-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Which one is more important to you?

Your future life?

or your car?

I would choose the 1st one.

negrosx13
10-26-2009, 12:06 AM
many wise words..i put the project car on the back burner for a few..do what you got a do man!!!good luck

ryguy
10-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I began to get sick of my car last fall. It went into winter storage for 5 months, in a storage unit 5 miles from my house, I couldn't be tempted to go work on it. In the spring I was in love again.

I LUV MY S13
10-26-2009, 12:22 AM

sounds like you got something good going...put in storage, take care of your bizz, and if you feel like you've got no motivation to continue then sell it...doesnt hurt to wait and see if you have a change in heart

lflkajfj12123
10-26-2009, 02:15 AM
that's what i think, but then again i will be the first to admit that i am only 20 years old. i have been living on my own for the past two years and to be honest i think my life would be FAR easier if i was not "into" cars. but to be fair, if i had a time machine i wouldn't change a thing.

yep same here, truth be told.

thatdrifterguy
10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
put it aside. store it. then ten years from now the car will become a classic and you'll feel like completing it. you'll be the badass with a 300zx while everyone is driving their go-green hybrid cars

Dousan_PG
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm married about to buy a home soon and probably some kid next year
but no way giving this up. Yeah have to cut back a lot but you just do less and still can have fun. Days of blowing a g on parts every month is done
it also heavily depends on your gf/wife
if she doesn't support it, your fucked
mines cool with it so it's a lot easier

if you are really lacking interest all aroundon it sell it. But remember you probably won't be able to afford it again later if you do the house/married/baby path

ManoNegra
10-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Was at that crossroads a few years ago
I put cars aside while I sorted out my life and figured out what was really important to me
after almost a year, I started messing with them again
and I tell you, I'm glad I didn't sell off my S13
now I have three all together but they aren't atop my list of priorities
like Aaron said, the days of dropping $500-1000 on car parts monthly are long over

Drift N Dragg
10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
i strongly believe that you can live a happy and comfortable life while messing around with cars.

the two do not need to be equal in priority, obviously for you your marriage and your family's future would be far more important, but they can coexist!

Haha.. Neither would I change a thing.. I love Car's and messing around with them.. That will never go away.. BUT ifyou had no car you would probly Gain 70lb's sitting on a couch play COD:WAW or Forza 3 Wishing you had one of those cars.. :doh:

Its like this. Out of high school and into college cars became my life. I had my own Japanese engine and transmission business and I bought and sold and collected 240Z's. Needless to say I hit a point about 10 years out where there were things that took priority. I made some changes in my life. I actually went down a road I had been destined to go down all along. I sold all my 240Z's. Looking back I could say I wish I had held onto at least one of them. Though at the time I was not thinking that way. In fact I was burnt out on the car business. LOL
I bought a Nissan Hardbody truck pretty much new i.e. still under warranty 1 1/2 years old. Great truck and I went back to school for sound production and engineering. I lived my life quite happily, promoted night clubs and Raves. Had a lot of fun, wrote music, engineered music. Moved to socal, truck did not have air conditioning. LOL Itched to drive a Sports car again. This was 99 mind you. Not a lot of Options in the brand new Sports car department unless you liked Miata's. Not being a super big fan of small convertibles. I bought a 240sx. Having test driven them when they came out in 89. Yes it had air. 10 years later here I am sucked into playing around with them, buying and selling them and parts. LOL
I write music today and I produce music today. Fact is I do both, cars and music and I am quite happy about that.

Ok whats the moral here? Well basically in explaining all that two things come into thought.
1. You can always put a hobby that might also be a second career down and come back to it later on.
2. You really can't take the gearhead out of the person, eventually even if you do put it down it will creep back into your life.

Basically your life can exist with your career and being a gearhead and even racing if you choose to spend your money that way.

If you feel its time to set it aside? Do it that is fine. If you are into it as much as it sounds like you are eventually you will come back it.

Those 2 Statements are SOOOO True.. haha .. I was So happy the Day Nikki (my GF) came up to me and said, ' I did my Research and decided that the best Catback exhuast system I want is the GReddy Ti-C w/ 80mm tip. I would also like to run a Hi-Flo Magnaflow Cat, and the AEM V2 intake system, It had better ratings then the Injen and a better design." I think I started crying in Happiness :wtc: ..

Thanks for Sharing your experience with me.. I said it before and I will say it again.. you are like a Auto-Forum Buddha!! :D

i went throught the same phase when i got married. sold the car bought a lexus and sported that, hell i even drove my wifes volvo every now and then :ghey:. 3 months later i was miserable and missed 240's WAYYYYY too much. started slowly turning the is300 into a "vip" car and eventually realized that was wasn't scratching the itch, so turned it back to stock and with the money started another 240 project. as long as your not neglecting your future/priorities to build a car their is no reason you cant balance a "grown up" life and an auto hobby. sure their are times i'd love to just spend the money in my checking acct. to buy that next part i need and finish the project sooner...BUT you have to be able to think ahead and realize that part can wait...but family/financial obligations cant...if you can realize this you'll be fine. just remember, you can take a break from this hobby and come back to it at more pheasible/financialy stable time. anywhoo just my :2c:

Thanks, and I do realize where my priorities are at, but you always have that Itch in the back of your mind everytime you see a Nice S13/Z32/Z33 roll by.... Or a crappy one where you go "Dude If I had that I would ... "
Excellent 0.02 Cents

If your not having fun anymore or having doubts just get out for a bit.

When your ready to get back into it its still gonna be around.

It's just a car.

:werd:

Which one is more important to you?

Your future life?

or your car?

I would choose the 1st one.

Same choice I am going with...

put it aside. store it. then ten years from now the car will become a classic and you'll feel like completing it. you'll be the badass with a 300zx while everyone is driving their go-green hybrid cars

Haha.. would that be some crazy stuff.. But the next Arnold may have my Car Siezed for not be Green Compliant.. LMAO

I'm married about to buy a home soon and probably some kid next year
but no way giving this up. Yeah have to cut back a lot but you just do less and still can have fun. Days of blowing a g on parts every month is done
it also heavily depends on your gf/wife
if she doesn't support it, your fucked
mines cool with it so it's a lot easier

if you are really lacking interest all aroundon it sell it. But remember you probably won't be able to afford it again later if you do the house/married/baby path

This is true.. I already have a Storage Unit, Thats where she will sit until I get all my ducks in a row...

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience's.. It's awesome to know that some of the people on here have had this crossroad come and dealt with it in there own way.

This is the reason why Zilvia is #1 in my Book.. a wonderful network of people..

chibo
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I did this with the bike thing, and every time I see a current 600 riding around I get a little heart string tear and really want another. Shit is on the back burner for a few years, I don't know how I will do it. :(

tricky_ab
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
To the OP, I wouldn't feel bad about the lack of drive. It happens to everyone with something in their life. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread that if you can afford it, keep it and work on it on your leisure.

I was in a situation like this before...I was in school and dropping money into a ride. It was a nice feeling but at the end of the day it's just a car. I came to a major decision when I was in my final year of my major. I realized that I wanted a bit more in life, and dropping money into my ride was not going to cut it so I sold it. I've been saving with my fiance for a house ( and put that money towards it). I decided to step away from expensive purchases till I have everything I need at home. To me the feeling of owning a home is a lot better then driving a nice car. You can always park your future ride in YOUR own driveway.

As for me I can't give up cars. I still plan to buy a car in the future. S15 Silvias will be legal in Canada in 4 years, and I'm still picking up parts that won't break the bank. I would rather put my money into a home to call my own (and buy what is needed to live comfortably).

HyperTek
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
consider getting into sim racing as an alternative.. you can do it whenever you want, and highly competitive just for fun/entertainment

if you have a decent computer, pick up a steering wheel
YouTube - [rFactor] Ferrari 156/85 on Osterreichring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0hRkA5d7o)

it satisfies my cravings
http://www.virtualr.net/

lewisfk
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
poor.. poor.. souls! If your wife is the main reason your leaving the game please proceed to hand me your man card! Report to your local doc and apply for your neutering. The only reason to step out of the game is that its begining to become a hardship on your life or your bringing a new life into this world! As men we give up alot of shit, but damn IT not our cars!! By the way these are my opinions and thinking like me may lead u into a divorce!! But hey i have my NUTS!

JEDIs13
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
i hope all goes well with you and your gf. she definitely sounds like a keeper.

my question is.. if you give up on the whole car scene, does that mean no more track? or is that idea already out the window?

HAWAII
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
if you can afford it, keep the car.

Once you have the house, the wife and the kids.

"YOU WILL NEED THE CAR!"

chibo
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
consider getting into sim racing as an alternative.. you can do it whenever you want, and highly competitive just for fun/entertainment

if you have a decent computer, pick up a steering wheel
YouTube - [rFactor] Ferrari 156/85 on Osterreichring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0hRkA5d7o)

it satisfies my cravings
VirtualR – Sim Racing News (http://www.virtualr.net/)

Wish that worked for me, I need the adrenaline going of scraping a knee through a corner or the... anxiety? that comes with running 10/10th sustained 15 minutes for real on a track when you're not entirely sure how long it's been and you're borderline not sure if you will make it through the corner. Riding home from the track you're rolling 100mph on the freeway and it literally feels like you are going 20mph, everything is registering so fast. I hear people saying they are going 8/10ths on the street or full out, damn I am positive 99% of them have no idea what 10/10ths really means.

That shit is my heroin... and that's saying a lot coming from me.

UglyS13Clunker
10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
do what you love and happiness is inevitable =]

Drift N Dragg
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
poor.. poor.. souls! If your wife is the main reason your leaving the game please proceed to hand me your man card! Report to your local doc and apply for your neutering. The only reason to step out of the game is that its begining to become a hardship on your life or your bringing a new life into this world! As men we give up alot of shit, but damn IT not our cars!! By the way these are my opinions and thinking like me may lead u into a divorce!! But hey i have my NUTS!

Haha.. That is Funny Right there...

i hope all goes well with you and your gf. she definitely sounds like a keeper.

my question is.. if you give up on the whole car scene, does that mean no more track? or is that idea already out the window?

No the track is still in play.. that is something that is Not a Project, Its a dream for more people then Just myself. The track is something that will happen, as soon as these Dumb Ass People that own there Property will stop thinking that the Economy is what it was 3 years ago and stop asking 10k+ an arce... I have gotten one down to 4+.. and I am working that company harder with the Pitch "After this track opens, you still own 3/4 of all the surrounding area (which is like 800 acres), what do you think will happen? Gas Stations? Food PLaces? They all require land, right? I am bringing you FUTURE Capital and investments and all I am asking in return is a decent deal on property"... which according to the land surveys that my real estate agent showed me, its only worth 2k an acre.. and I am willing to give him 3k...

But to answer your Question, NO THE TRACK SHALL LIVE!!!!!!!! :2f2f:

HyperTek
10-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Wish that worked for me, I need the adrenaline going of scraping a knee through a corner or the... anxiety? that comes with running 10/10th sustained 15 minutes for real on a track when you're not entirely sure how long it's been and you're borderline not sure if you will make it through the corner. Riding home from the track you're rolling 100mph on the freeway and it literally feels like you are going 20mph, everything is registering so fast. I hear people saying they are going 8/10ths on the street or full out, damn I am positive 99% of them have no idea what 10/10ths really means.

That shit is my heroin... and that's saying a lot coming from me.

ic, well its a nice way to unwind a hard day. =) tho online races can be frustrating when some noob rear ends you while slowing down for a corner lol

i wanna build something like this when i get my own place
YFShIpoOVE4
9QCeizSJNvE

i think its just better to do a projector setup instead of 3 monitors.
SilVJgG_Fj4
but forreal if you try a sim game wiht a good steering wheel *fuck forza/gran turismo aint got shit on sims*, the physics are awesome you'd be surprised. with a clutch pedal and no driver aids, you gotta revmatch *heal toe* when down shifting or your gonna lock the rear wheels up and spin

Drift N Dragg
10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
ic, well its a nice way to unwind a hard day. =) tho online races can be frustrating when some noob rear ends you while slowing down for a corner lol

I play Forza 2 and I HATE that SHIT!!! When one get's in a room with a Overpowered car they cant handle or tuned... Then you go into a corner.. then BAM!!! Fucker hits you and you are in the wall on the other side of the Track, While this was the BEST time you ever had , and now it aint crap.... Laguna Seca - It happens alot there...

Weedm
10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Personally I think that if you already have the financial issue settled with marriage, housing, and anything else you were looking into prioritizing, keep the Z. There's no doubt that you will miss having the sports car / project around.

However, if you need money to make your priorities come true, sell the Z. You can always go back later on in your life to start another project, as by that time you'll probably be more financially stable than you are now.

HyperTek
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM
then again, if your married, playing a sim might not work, your gonna hear "you spend too much time on that video game" lol

Drift N Dragg
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
then again, if your married, playing a sim might not work, your gonna hear "you spend too much time on that video game" lol

Haha.. Naa I fixed that problem already.. I bought her a Xbox360 and got her the type of games she loves, and I always buy a game she shows interest in and she will play.. Leaving my alone to play Nazi Zombies on COD:WAW for hours LMAO.... and Forza.. But recently Zombies.. One Complete game is around 1 hour and 40 mins.. we get to level 28.. just me and a friend..haha!

mRclARK1
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
You can always put a project on hold. I'm out of 240's (hence why I'm rarely around here anymore even though I still love this place) and have a Z32 project in the works that is currently on indefinite hold... Just cause you grow up doesn't mean you have to stop. If you really want to keep it, put it aside and the drive will return to come back to it and you won't regret it.

Hell, I'll likely even be moving to a different continent within the next year and I plan to just store my project. I know as soon as I sell it, I'll regret it.

zylvia213
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Ive gone through that stage where i feel like that. I have a family now wife and 3 kids. I have many expensense and many priorities then cars or projects. Ive gotten rid of cars that ive build from grounds up and honestly i gota say i regret getting rid of them or some of them. Its true what someone said on this post that you'll always be a gearhead. Yea at the moment you probably feel like this but trust me you will go right back to it sooner or later.... its in your blood to mess around with cars. Just prioritize....

1. get your house
2. park your car(s) in the garage
3. get a wife
4. make some kids or kid
5. enjoy your life including your hobby

Cars come and go bro.... money does to. I say dont give up on the hobby (cars) eventually you will want to get back in it again. Now if you have more then 1 S chassis or what ever car just keep one. Just think about it, if you give up your hobby what the hell are you going to be doing with all that spare time?

wangan_cruiser
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
i agree with most everybody said keep the car put it somewhere then move on to your life and set your priorities straight.

having a supportive gf is hard enough to have both cars and women. i realized that when i was messing with ex before she was AGAINST my car. i love my current gf right now and i nkow she is a keeper. so go for it you might never come across a women like her.

Dream240
12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
I know this thread is old but I felt I could contrbiute....

I know exactly how you feel man. I've been driving 240s since 2000. My first one was my black auto S14. Bought it, poured 10k into it, crashed it, parted it out, bought another and moved on. I've been driving 240s as dailys this whole time. I always took breaks every 6 months or so, both to my wallet and my schedule.

Now I'm married (3 years), own a home, have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, and still drive my S14. At first I focused on my life, kid, marriage, etc. But everything tends to balance out and now I have time and desire to get back into my car, so I'm doing an engine rebuild that I want to do. As for finances, Buying a home and starting a family will cause a shift in your responsibilities, but you will soon see the need taper off and then you'll start to have time for other things. If you fill that space with cars again cool, if not there will be something else.

Ultimately just remember that however you set up your priorities for your life, make the choice and stick to it. There's alot that can be gained by having a family and settling down. Really tends to change your perspective on life. Honestly I wouldn't change my choices for the past ten years for anything.

Good luck.

kouki fanatic
12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
he changes his mind. he just bought a s13 vert and hes building it

Drift N Dragg
12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I know this thread is old but I felt I could contrbiute....

I know exactly how you feel man. I've been driving 240s since 2000. My first one was my black auto S14. Bought it, poured 10k into it, crashed it, parted it out, bought another and moved on. I've been driving 240s as dailys this whole time. I always took breaks every 6 months or so, both to my wallet and my schedule.

Now I'm married (3 years), own a home, have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, and still drive my S14. At first I focused on my life, kid, marriage, etc. But everything tends to balance out and now I have time and desire to get back into my car, so I'm doing an engine rebuild that I want to do. As for finances, Buying a home and starting a family will cause a shift in your responsibilities, but you will soon see the need taper off and then you'll start to have time for other things. If you fill that space with cars again cool, if not there will be something else.

Ultimately just remember that however you set up your priorities for your life, make the choice and stick to it. There's alot that can be gained by having a family and settling down. Really tends to change your perspective on life. Honestly I wouldn't change my choices for the past ten years for anything.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the Contribute.. Old thread or Not, some people that feel the way I do can easily run threw this page and see other peoples personel struggles on what to do with there time, Money, Wife/Girlfriend, Car, baby, and debt did to better there situation.

As for me... I am getting married to my Girlfriend of 6 Years. It's been a long time with us and I decided it was right to Marry her. Now I have not given up on my dream of having a really nice car. As Stated by the person above me, I picked up a 93 Vert ( Couldn't pass up that deal, it was a SWEET deal .. Thanks again Chris :wiggle: ) And I still have my 300ZX 2+2 Sitting in a storage unit.

It took me sitting down with my Girlfriend and having a long talk to realize her happiness is not just me doing what I can to make a good life for us, but to see me happy in what I am doing with my Hobbies. She does not want to see me unhappy with doing nothing.

Now my Girlfriend (Soon to be Wife) makes me Very happy!!! But having her understand my Car Lust makes our relationship that much stronger.. It makes me Smile when I ma working on a car, and for no reason she will pull a chair out and sit in the garage and watch/Talk to me .. Asking me questions and just BSing with me. Its such a wonderful feeling.

So to anyone that reads this thread... instead of rushing out and just getting rid of your project ( Like I almost did ).. Sit back, relax and take in all of life before you decide to do this.. Your project will change with your age, From Project Missile, too Part Missile Part VIP, too Something Nice to have as my Weekend driver with awesomeness Nismo...

Dream240
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
^^^ Werd.

I have the same relationship with my wife. She really understands my hobbies and doesn't try to restrict my happiness when it comes to my car. She even does the hanging out with me thign while I tear out my interior or swap a clutch. I work, she knits, reads, whatever. Honestly what makes a relationship work is compatibility and understanding.

You got a keeper, just remember to keep happiness highway a two way street!!

Good luck!

Bubbles
12-14-2009, 10:49 AM
I have gotten a 93 Vert

Maybe, you should have quit while you were ahead.

xxtokesxx
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Take a break from cars... Like others said, store the cars away so you can apply "out of sight out of mind". Nothing makes making a decision easier about keeping something than taking it away from you. Concentrate on life and see what happens. I bought a house and its my main focus right now. I still have my cars but I haven't been working on them... I got tired and I parted out my nx when things got heavy and now I'm itching SOO HARD to get into my VQ 240sx. But now I have to wait. Funny thing is I ended up buying a 1996 hardbody to get away from going fast and I got a ticket last month in it! Go Figure!

gzer750
12-14-2009, 11:07 AM
remember a nice car can always get you a new girlfriend. get rid of your car. in a year or two you will be wishing you never sold your car.

Drift N Dragg
12-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Take a break from cars... Like others said, store the cars away so you can apply "out of sight out of mind". Nothing makes making a decision easier about keeping something than taking it away from you. Concentrate on life and see what happens. I bought a house and its my main focus right now. I still have my cars but I haven't been working on them... I got tired and I parted out my nx when things got heavy and now I'm itching SOO HARD to get into my VQ 240sx. But now I have to wait. Funny thing is I ended up buying a 1996 hardbody to get away from going fast and I got a ticket last month in it! Go Figure!

I am slowing down on the build and taking advantage of the extra cash.. We are looking into a home as we speak ( waiting to see if we close in Escrow ... ) Not the city we want, But its a start (since I am a GOV employee, Even though I am No longer in the Military, my Job i work at now for the GOV can transfer me ) So it's a start...

Maybe, you should have quit while you were ahead.

I know, I know... And you are 100% Right.. But it was honestly a good deal, and I Completely discussed this with my girlfriend, and we didn't jump into it, we actually took the time to make sure we could afford it without killing our account... But I understand Exactly what your saying. :kiss:

But she did say, nothing else untill we get a house... Like she will let me buy small things here or there, but No major purchases..

We have an Agreement.. :bow:

Bubbles
12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I know, I know... And you are 100% Right.. But it was honestly a good deal, and I Completely discussed this with my girlfriend, and we didn't jump into it, we actually took the time to make sure we could afford it without killing our account... But I understand Exactly what your saying. :kiss:

But she did say, nothing else untill we get a house... Like she will let me buy small things here or there, but No major purchases..

We have an Agreement.. :bow:

Yeah, I'm just messing with ya.

If you're still into it, I say stick with it.

ericcastro
12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
If your over it, then move on.
Paying for a piece of shit car to sit in storage is a waste of good money.

Why? incase you decide you want it?
You cant afford to buy that shit later?
I had a S13 in 1996.
Have done all kinds of shit with my life.
decided i wanted another one in 2006ish, so i bought one.

just get rid of it.
Material shit can be easily replaced and once you git rid of shit, you will realize you didnt need it anyways.

BTW
Thats why i dont "Build" a car.
It brings me no joy in life and there are so much more important things than some project car.
thats why i drive my car on the track as much as possable and dont worry about how shitty it looks or having more HP and all that.
I know that if I was building a project, i would loose interest and find other things in life that are more important to spend the little time we have in this life on.

just my 2 cents.

Drift N Dragg
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
If your over it, then move on.
Paying for a piece of shit car to sit in storage is a waste of good money.

Why? incase you decide you want it?
You cant afford to buy that shit later?
I had a S13 in 1996.
Have done all kinds of shit with my life.
decided i wanted another one in 2006ish, so i bought one.

just get rid of it.
Material shit can be easily replaced and once you git rid of shit, you will realize you didnt need it anyways.

BTW
Thats why i dont "Build" a car.
It brings me no joy in life and there are so much more important things than some project car.
thats why i drive my car on the track as much as possable and dont worry about how shitty it looks or having more HP and all that.
I know that if I was building a project, i would loose interest and find other things in life that are more important to spend the little time we have in this life on.

just my 2 cents.

I was awaiting your 2 Cookies :boink:

But you do have some good points about the Car in Storage...

ericcastro
12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I was awaiting your 2 Cookies :boink:

But you do have some good points about the Car in Storage...
lol.
i have alot of time with no work these days ;)

When i was moving to a different spot in seattle, i had my van stolen and everything taken.
So my life got lighter.

When I moved to SoCal years ago, i had to get rid of ALOT of stuff.
What i did bring was all in my van
life got lighter.
On the way down, van got broken into and half my shit stolen.

So I arrived with a couple boxes.

It ended up being one of the best things to happen to me in that shitty indirect way, lol.
I didnt really need all that shit.
The things i did feel i needed could easily be replaced.
Especially with the internet and ebay and craigslist.

So I really like to let go of things.

another storage story.......
I was talking to my mom last week.
She kept a storage unit with all our old house stuff for the last several years while she lived in belieze and socal and everywere else.
She ended up spending thousands for stuff that she has gone so long without, that she doesnt give a shit about it.
She wishes she had let it all go and saved all that money.

So i would say, let it go.
you can always come back to it if you want.
thats kinda my deal.

I think im gonna get rid of some shit as i clean the house now ;)

BTW, just cause you get rid of the 240 doesnt mean you shouldn't stay a premie on here :coold:

Jacob'S13
12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Just get the finer things in life man... cars like 240's are petty change compare to a house that you really want to get.

NismoDriverS13
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
wow, why are u even making a thread about this? this is drama!

hey, how about u do what u need to do? cause its ur life and ur opinions!

dont crush our dreams! if u dont like cars no more thats good for u but we are all here FOR enthusiasm for cars not against them.

ur not a real car lover and never will be, sorry but thats the truth if u are feeling that way only at 29. there are ppl out there that are car nuts for their whole life! yea they have lifes, houses, wifes, kids, and CARS!!! if u are a true enthusiast then u would never question urself on that matter.

ill be 100 years old but im still gonna be working on cars, washing them, driving them, collecting them, drifting etc. i know no one will drift anymore in the future, cause something new will come along but ill be the only one and I wont care!!!

this kind of remarks and threads make me feel sad......

Drift N Dragg
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
lol.
i have alot of time with no work these days ;)

When i was moving to a different spot in seattle, i had my van stolen and everything taken.
So my life got lighter.

When I moved to SoCal years ago, i had to get rid of ALOT of stuff.
What i did bring was all in my van
life got lighter.
On the way down, van got broken into and half my shit stolen.

So I arrived with a couple boxes.

It ended up being one of the best things to happen to me in that shitty indirect way, lol.
I didnt really need all that shit.
The things i did feel i needed could easily be replaced.
Especially with the internet and ebay and craigslist.

So I really like to let go of things.

another storage story.......
I was talking to my mom last week.
She kept a storage unit with all our old house stuff for the last several years while she lived in belieze and socal and everywere else.
She ended up spending thousands for stuff that she has gone so long without, that she doesnt give a shit about it.
She wishes she had let it all go and saved all that money.

So i would say, let it go.
you can always come back to it if you want.
thats kinda my deal.

I think im gonna get rid of some shit as i clean the house now ;)

BTW, just cause you get rid of the 240 doesnt mean you shouldn't stay a premie on here :coold:

Haha... I do love my Premie Status...

I was looking through the Thread, and i was thinkin, Hmmm I wonder when Castro will comment.. and when I came back, There you were!!

dont crush our dreams! if u dont like cars no more thats good for u but we are all here FOR enthusiasm for cars not against them.

ur not a real car lover and never will be, sorry but thats the truth if u are feeling that way only at 29. there are ppl out there that are car nuts for their whole life! yea they have lifes, houses, wifes, kids, and CARS!!! if u are a true enthusiast then u would never question urself on that matter.

ill be 100 years old but im still gonna be working on cars, washing them, driving them, collecting them, drifting etc. i know no one will drift anymore in the future, cause something new will come along but ill be the only one and I wont care!!!

OK, I am going to say this very Kindly ..... You're an Idiot :wavey:

I never SAID I did not like car's anymore... I had some changes in my Life, But you know all about that, right? At the RIPE old age of 23..... You are at the age where you barely learned what your boner is truely used for, besides jackin off too anime... :fawk:

I am not crushing anyone's dream.. as you can READ, if that is Possible, many people with many stories... Some did something different with there lives, some kept the car thing, some intergrated...

You don't like my Thread? And? Don't read it... Oops there's that word again..

I have been a car nut long before you knew how to Nut.... So don't think you can come in here and just bash away... Zilvia is more of everything for everyone... Off Topic Section.. wait.. that's where we are Now....

You " KNOW " that No one will be drifting in the future.. Hmm.. there were people drifting before it was even " Coolio to Droifto " ... and will be after... LONG after...

Well now that this rant is over... :p Back to your regular Scheduled Thread Replies..

NismoDriverS13
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
just saying man, that its sad to see ppl that have passion for cars and loose interest or whatever because of their lives.

that makes me wonder why?

i took into consideration ur situation that u wants to settle down.

but why give up on ur hobbies? cause once u do, what else is going to keep ur sanity?

either way wish u luck.

XeroX
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Jesus christ man...What are you even talking about? :faint:

Just cause your enthusiastic about a "Hobby" doesnt make it a do or die situation, even IF you had money to be blowing on your car, it is still a very big waste of money unless you turn it into a career...Anyone can tell you that...Car enthusiast or not...u need a reality check homie...

to the OP = I think its always on or off with this car stuff, cause some of us take our projects to an EXTREME where its very difficult to turn back...and even if THATS not the issue, its the issue of the effort and time we had dedicated to it...its hard to let go...but sometimes you need a break, and sometimes you need a different project to get you involved...

Im having that issue now with my 4th gen maxima, after spending the past 8 years to get it where its at (Rear mounted turbo, VI, coilovers, 2k 5spd swap blaaaa blaaaa) now im kinda wanting something different...but do i really? lol its always an endless battle...sometimes its just good to have a break...or just pass on the project and get a new one when your ready...

I just purchased a house last year, and im gona tell you...Before it was "safe up for the house, dont spend on the car" now its " (Insert random excuse here) " lol... Its just a cycle thats as useless as the money pits we put together unfortunately lol...too bad its soo much fun!

Jacob'S13
12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
just saying man, that its sad to see ppl that have passion for cars and loose interest or whatever because of their lives.

but why give up on ur hobbies? cause once u do, what else is going to keep ur sanity?

either way wish u luck.
:s101:some people jst grow up outta of it. besides wouldnt you rather put money towards a house instead of a car?

SlideWell
12-14-2009, 10:52 PM
like it was said before, it will creep back into you, in one form or another. i knew a kid that was just crazy with imported JDM cars. he sold all of his cars, tore up a beautiful s15, and now scuba dives for his new "edge." gay.
do what you want man. its super cool shes not pressuring you. if anything, step up in the game. i feel a growth on my brain of having a clean VIP car and not my current RHD S14 Silvia K's with an exhaust n crap. thats when you know youre getting old. i dont see myself stepping away from modified turbo cars any time soon tho. personally, i think 300zx's arent too interesting, so maybe make it more so?

Drift N Dragg
12-15-2009, 08:43 AM

either way wish u luck.

Makes you wonder why? it's life .. Things dont always go your way.. Stuff comes up.. You start putting your life in a different outlook and rearranging things...

But on a lighter note.. I am not giving up.. just slowing down :drool:

Jesus christ man...What are you even talking about? :faint:

Just cause your enthusiastic about a "Hobby" doesnt make it a do or die situation, even IF you had money to be blowing on your car, it is still a very big waste of money unless you turn it into a career...Anyone can tell you that...Car enthusiast or not...u need a reality check homie...

to the OP = I think its always on or off with this car stuff, cause some of us take our projects to an EXTREME where its very difficult to turn back...and even if THATS not the issue, its the issue of the effort and time we had dedicated to it...its hard to let go...but sometimes you need a break, and sometimes you need a different project to get you involved...

Im having that issue now with my 4th gen maxima, after spending the past 8 years to get it where its at (Rear mounted turbo, VI, coilovers, 2k 5spd swap blaaaa blaaaa) now im kinda wanting something different...but do i really? lol its always an endless battle...sometimes its just good to have a break...or just pass on the project and get a new one when your ready...

I just purchased a house last year, and im gona tell you...Before it was "safe up for the house, dont spend on the car" now its " (Insert random excuse here) " lol... Its just a cycle thats as useless as the money pits we put together unfortunately lol...too bad its soo much fun!

WERD! I have the same problem.. hahaha there are times I look at my Project and go :mephfawk: ... then 2 hours later i am :love::boink: ... so it is a Cycle.. LMAO

XeroX
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
WERD! I have the same problem.. hahaha there are times I look at my Project and go :mephfawk: ... then 2 hours later i am :love::boink: ... so it is a Cycle.. LMAO

Exactly lol...I do the same thing whenever my cars are dirty...i disown them and wana get them outa my face! lol... then i wash and wax, and then im :snoop: woooo so freshhhh

haha, oh well...such is life i guess

kris
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
So this project i take it doesn't run..If it does great. Stop spending money on it and enjoy it. If its a couple hundred bucks fix it and enjoy it. If its a few grand away--get rid of it and never look back.

I am in the same position plus I am pretty much disenchanted with cars and the people involved in them (especially in the shit hole I live in). My car is a huge PITA and for the last 10 years or so cars have run my life. The last couple of months i decided to put my car off let it set there and see what happens. Turns out life is very enjoyable not tinkering with shit all the time. I just buy other random things i don't need and its great!

Matej
12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Stop.

HAMMERTIME.

Drift N Dragg
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
You know I use to Own those kinda Pants when I was younger... How Wierd is that!! HA!

ericcastro
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
You know I use to Own those kinda Pants when I was younger... How Wierd is that!! HA!
and I used to bust half those moves, lol.
means we are old.

silsx13
12-15-2009, 06:08 PM
and I used to bust half those moves, lol.
means we are old.

I guess someone has to say this: Some of us are just "too legit to quit....." =P haha.