PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had any experiance in BAR certifying a car?

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
so I've found another issue with my on going legality issues. my car is an 89 240sx so it should origanally have a single cam motor. my car came with a dual cam swapped in which I had no Idea didn't come in 89 s chassis models. so when I went to the reff he said my timing has been set at 15* or should be because they were looking in the 89 service manual which would show the timing of a single cam. the guy that had timed my car must of thought it was a single cam too as it was set at 13*and told me he would let it fly but it should be at 15*. I found out from a friend that a single cam should be set at this and a dual cam is set at 20*, so it had been off this whole time. no wonder I'm failing smog. So my question is, If I tell the reff that the motor (http://zilvia.net/f/#) has been swapped would I have to get it bar'd?? since its not the motor that originally came in my car?? how would this work?? just wondering if anyone knows anything about this stuff. thanks

!Zar!
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
No need to deal with that. My 90 s13 had a 95 out of an s14. As long as all emissions are on it and it's operating properly then you're fine. Why isn't your car passing smog?

godrifttoday
10-22-2009, 11:27 PM
did u get ticket? and had to go the ref? why not pay the ticket and forget about it, or pay some one to pass it? but like zar said if the motor is stock u should be fine unless like ur cat is bad..but in ur case i guess its timming if not go to another ref some are assholes dont know y but they are lol...GL

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks man. I dont' have the money to pay off the ticket. this is also my 3rd so I need to pass or I'll have to non op my car. ok. i'll time it correctly and take it in and tell him that its not the same motor. see how it goes. thanks for the info guys

DreamN
10-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Talk to Mario, letsl1de (sp?). He dealt with being ref'ed for his OBD2 engine in his coupe.

Legally when you're going from single cam to dual cam you're suppose to get it BAR'ed, but people tend to overlook this. Same deal with OBD2 motors in an OBD1 car.

chinox32
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
From what i know the BAR does not care that you put a dual cam engine as long is everything is stock the newer the engine the less smog it produces

*Newer engines
*Same family
*stock

should be approved thats what my teacher was talking about for 1 hour in class

!Zar!
10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
It has to use the emissions off of the newer engine as well they all have to be working.

fast-datsun
10-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Its really suppose to go to the REF for all motor swaps..once its right he will add a NEW BAR smog sticker with the new info.....

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-25-2009, 11:00 AM
ok. so they bar at reff?? my car still don't pass. so I guess I'll make it pass first. then take it to reff and tell him its not the originally motor which he had never noticed before lol. and he'll bar it if it passes?? and all the emissions equipment does work. and the car is all stock