PDA

View Full Version : HID kit reviews?

JoHn E
10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
i know u guys dont like talking about HID kits if its not with a retrofit but can i get some input from people that have bought hid kits

What brands have u tried and how much have you paid for them?
how long did yours last and have they given you problems?

ThatGuy
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Illegal drop-in HID kits are not a CHAT topic.

I'll move this crap to Off Topic until I find a better reason to close it all together.

There is my review of these "look at me" parts, since you're not getting better light, simply more light.
Oh, and a giant FUCK YOU to everyone driving the opposite way, or behind me with this crap in your car while I'm on the road.

YoungGun
10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Yo I got ebay drop ins in both my truck and 240.

240 has 12k, but I only have one right now cause I blew up my other headlight drifting my car into another car.

My truck I put 6k in and it works good and looks cool, i've had them for like 6 months now.

Anybody know where I can get purple hid's?

Sil-Abc
10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
ballasts die within a year, they are NEVER fitted correctly or held down properly, will always "wobble" or shake while driving, it will blind ppl in the opposite direction, AND WILL ATTRACT COPS ATTENTION BECAUSE U R BLINDING THEM. So overall, 2/10, 1 to say u have HIDs and 1 for...... ok 1/10

ZenkiKid
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
had mine for about 2 years and all good, yes they are crap. I bought them because my beam sucked as it is with halogens so i bought the HID kit and pointed my lights down so the glare isnt TOO bad.

I think this could be because im running 4300k.

FaLKoN240
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
had mine for about 2 years and all good, yes they are crap. I bought them because my beam sucked as it is with halogens so i bought the HID kit and pointed my lights down so the glare isnt TOO bad.

I think this could be because im running 4300k.

What does the temperature of the light have to do with what you're talking about?

4300k is the closest to OEM white, and the most light you're going to get out of an HID kit. If it's not bright enough you should probably get your eyes checked, or the bulbs might be going out.

I've purchased 4 drop in HID kits, and haven't had any complaints about any of them. They all work/worked like new since the day I bought them.

I bought 3 of them from Xenith Xenons, (one I sold, and one is somewhere in San Diego in my ex's car) and one from Sonic Motor (current gf's car.)

My xenith that is in my car currently has been installed in 3 different cars now, and has no problems and I've almost owned that kit for well over a year (I don't know what you're talking about Wayne.)

I've never been high beamed in my car/cars because I always check to make sure the MAJORITY (NOT ALL because it's impossible) is not aimed into on coming traffic or ridiculously high.

I have never been pulled over in the past 3 years of driving for any lighting infraction.

Although today I was blinded on my way to work early in the morning by an irresponsible E46 sedan with a drop in HID kit, which was blue and VERY BRIGHT and annoying.

ZenkiKid
10-19-2009, 09:42 PM
What does the temperature of the light have to do with what you're talking about?

4300k is the closest to OEM white, and the most light you're going to get out of an HID kit. If it's not bright enough you should probably get your eyes checked, or the bulbs might be going out.

I've purchased 4 drop in HID kits, and haven't had any complaints about any of them. They all work/worked like new since the day I bought them.

I bought 3 of them from Xenith Xenons, (one I sold, and one is somewhere in San Diego in my ex's car) and one from Sonic Motor (current gf's car.)

My xenith that is in my car currently has been installed in 3 different cars now, and has no problems and I've almost owned that kit for well over a year (I don't know what you're talking about Wayne.)

I've never been high beamed in my car/cars because I always check to make sure the MAJORITY (NOT ALL because it's impossible) is not aimed into on coming traffic or ridiculously high.

I have never been pulled over in the past 3 years of driving for any lighting infraction.

Although today I was blinded on my way to work early in the morning by an irresponsible E46 sedan with a drop in HID kit, which was blue and VERY BRIGHT and annoying.

oops my mistake, yeah 4300k is one of the brighter ones of the kelvins.

Honestly it isnt even all that bright man. Its probly due to my cheap ass designed housings.

I too have never gotten pulled over for my lights and its been 2 years or so since i put them on

Sil-Abc
10-19-2009, 10:40 PM
well to clarify it depends also on what setup u have. Falkon used his on pop up headlights and i used mine on s13 silvia triple projectors so obviously mine will have a GREATLY higher chance of blinding ppl since my lights were meant for RHD cars.

Also scott what im referring to is the comparison between the brightness from day 1 to day xx, i got a different brand which i have no idea what it is anymore and they were horrible within a year. Another thing is when u hook them up and mount them, grab the back of it and see if u can wiggle the bulb. Some of them would not seat properly and u could move the bulb with ur hand which should not happen at all (u can see the bulb and beam pattern alter)

ayuaddict
10-19-2009, 10:59 PM
i got some from a local guy here and put them in H4 Autopal conversion housings, the light output is a LOT better than stock 35 year old technology.

i was bidding on a pair of Q45 projectors on ebay, but lost out because i couldn't check at work...and i bought these drop in bulb replacement HIDs...

and its not that bad.

Matej
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Drop-in HID kits work just fine.
The problem is that people put them in terrible housings.
Get decent housings and an HID kit that has shields on the bulbs, and there should be no problems.

I have yet to have anyone flash their brights at me since I installed HID's with Autopal housings. People used to flash their brights at me all the time when I had just Sylvania Silvestar sealed beams, which according to the headlight Nazis are acceptable. And yes they were aimed correctly.

Motorcycle headlights bouncing up and down driving in the opposite direction are way more annoying than any car with HID's I have ever encountered.

Brian
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
clearcorners.com is best.

ryguy
10-19-2009, 11:52 PM
I have bought from Xenith Xenons for my dad's truck and their customer service is amazing. The bulbs and ballasts are two years old at least and still goin strong. I have been driving in front of him in the S13 at night and his lights don't bother me at all.

zylvia213
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I got some ONEX or some brand called that on my s13. It improves the lighting for when im driving but i gota admit they suck. The glare is horrible all over the dam freeway. I have got people high beam me several times. I will be getting myself some Hella housings and puttingin some PIAA H4's and call it a day. As for as quality or the duration of the product... well havent had any problems just yet. Ive had them for like 6 months.

Drift N Dragg
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I head gotten ONEX as well.. actually 3 kits.... out 2 of 3 Kits already Blew.. I just think its there kit.. Not Very quality.. I will just stick with silverstar Ultras