PDA

View Full Version : I Dont Know Whats Worse....

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Went to take my S14 to the body shop to get an estimate for the front end, from when some old guy pulled in front of me in walmart P/L cuz his Lazy ass was driving through the parking spaces.

Anyway began to drive off when a black puddle caught my eye...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Oil%20Drain/DSCN2237.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Oil%20Drain/DSCN2238.jpg

Oil plug is gone, Nowhere on the ground or around the vehicle
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Oil%20Drain/DSCN2239.jpg

Luckily I didnt have work today other wise i have have gotten up when it was still dark and probably not have noticed and driven off since the S14 is fucked up.

Got a new plug filled it with oil, primedthe system, fired right up with no knocking.

Im not sure what to be more worried about, The fact that either some one has some personal issues with me or my oil drain plug falling out while driving.

Im worried about the engine of course, I built the engine myself put alot of time into it, so i would be so pissed if somthing happened to it.

If someone did it:
Pro's: Engine is fine, didnt run it with no oil.
Con's: person might come back to do it again or somthing worse....

Plug falling out:
Pro's: not really anthing but knowing some body wont come back and trying somthing else
Con's: Low/No oil pressure, possible bearing damage

I took it for a drive, she drove fine and normal, I drove the same route i drove last night (about 15-20minutes) looking for giant oil spills on the roads but didnt see anthing fresh. There were some long stips that looked like leaky oil but it wasnt fresh.....

Im sure my engine would have locked up by that time, plus i think the whole underside of my chassis would be coated in oil (it wasnt)

What do ya'll think, Does this look like about 4 quarts?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Oil%20Drain/DSCN2241.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Oil%20Drain/DSCN2240.jpg

Dont mind the ATF its from the Rack and Pinion.

BoostSlideWayz
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
thats wack.. people actually taking out a drain bolt. Good luck. Id probly keep a close eye on it at night if u can. I would try putting a good alarm on it or somthing like a viper one so if some one gets to close or touches the car it will let u know.

Bigsyke
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
What brand oil did you use? The oil light wouldve came on real quick if you drove without a drain plug.

Best thing to do is send in the oil filter to blackstone for a UOA and record the levels to a standard 5k mile change.

Take an emtpy oil qt and fill it with water, pour it on an empty level spot and compair the differences.

My buddy a few years back in his volvo slammed into a brick mailbox and it ripped his oil pan off. He drove it across state to get it fixed wtih no oil. The car lasted about 2 years untill he sold it. A good ester based oil like redline will still lubricate till about 400+*f and cling to the metal pretty well

thats wack.. people actually taking out a drain bolt. Good luck. Id probly keep a close eye on it at night if u can. I would try putting a good alarm on it or somthing like a viper one so if some one gets to close or touches the car it will let u know.
Another reason for someone to vadalize your car, nothing worse than an alarm going off constantly at odd hours of the night.

Seems your cars are clearly out in the open, im sure someone saw them, and jacked your DP because they were to cheap to buy one.

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
What brand oil did you use? The oil light wouldve came on real quick if you drove without a drain plug.

I use 10W30 Mobile 1

Best thing to do is send in the oil filter to blackstone for a UOA and record the levels to a standard 5k mile change.

Take an emtpy oil qt and fill it with water, pour it on an empty level spot and compair the differences.

What?..... lol

I wanna say due to the type of concrete, i think it absorbed a good bit of it judgeing by how big it is.

They did it between the hours of 11:30pm and 9:00am so it had some time to soak.....

Matej
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Someone probably does not like you working on your car in the parking lot. They took out the drain plug, and now everyone will think you are the one who caused the nasty oil puddle. Now somebody, possibly the culprit, will complain to the apartment office, if the apartment staff has not already seen it, and you will get a notice.

Before anyone even has a chance to say anything, you should go and complain that someone stole your oil plug and has tampered with your car, and that you do not feel safe now.

CrimsonRockett
10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Someone probably does not like you working on your car in the parking lot. They took out the drain plug, and now everyone will think you are the one who caused the nasty oil puddle. Now somebody, possibly the culprit, will complain to the apartment office, if the apartment staff has not already seen it, and you will get a notice.

Before anyone even has a chance to complain, you should go and complain that someone stole your oil plug and has tampered with your car, and that you do not feel safe now.

Ding ding ding.

I'm sure the apartment complex owners wouldn't be happy seeing that massive puddle/oil stain.

Report/complain to them about it and let them know somebody is fucking with your shit.

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Before anyone even has a chance to complain, you should go and complain that someone stole your oil plug and has tampered with your car, and that you do not feel safe now.

Didnt think about neighbors getting pissed off, I do do alot of workin in that parking lot lol. But i dont know......

But i did go tell the main office about it, and im filling a police report on it.

Im friends with alot of ppl in the local car scene, i dont know who i could have pissed off.

I dont really street race....but That night there was one of those new Mustang GT's that was trying to race me, I gave in and beat him. I think he either gave me the finger or a peace sign.... couldnt really tell....... I was thinking maybe he go butt hurt and thinking "let see how fast you are without oil" hahaha I dont know.....

nathanong87
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
the culprit must have jacked up the car? geez...

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
the culprit must have jacked up the car? geez...

Nah due to not having a front bumper you can access the plug like in the 2nd pic

HyperTek
10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
find some kitty litter and throw it on the oil so it doesnt look soo bad. then get a front bumper on your car so it wont be too easy for someone to mess around. then throw a car cover on your car if your gonna leave it like that, walmart cheapo cover will do. Then hopefully no one will trip. Good luck.

Hate when people rather tamper with peoples shit instead of just leaving a nice note instead.

dudermagee
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
If your super worried you could also drill a small hole through your new plugg (or get one with the hole already) and safety wire it so it cant be easily fucked with and deff won't come off on its own

projectRDM
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
If someone really wanted to hurt you, they wouldn't have fully removed it. They'd leave it just loose enough to drip and then back out when driving, that way you'd never notice until you threw a rod out the block.

Seems someone just wanted to be an ass without being malicious. That's good at least.

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 06:06 PM
find some kitty litter and throw it on the oil so it doesnt look soo bad. then get a front bumper on your car so it wont be too easy for someone to mess around. then throw a car cover on your car if your gonna leave it like that, walmart cheapo cover will do. Then hopefully no one will trip. Good luck.

Hate when people rather tamper with peoples shit instead of just leaving a nice note instead.

Meh.... I tried cleaning up with an old house towel, but i would love some "Pig Mats" kitty litter is messy as hell, and i think it'll make it harder to clean up... but i dont know, well see

Hard to find a Silvia front bumber in the US. Espeically after all my recent bad luck i dont wanna spend any money until i know insurance is gonna fix the S14.

The S13 is my DD right now until the S14 is fixed

If your super worried you could also drill a small hole through your new plugg (or get one with the hole already) and safety wire it so it cant be easily fucked with and deff won't come off on its own

I thought about this, and i might go ahead do it since i have access to a good bit of safety wire.

If someone really wanted to hurt you, they wouldn't have fully removed it. They'd leave it just loose enough to drip and then back out when driving, that way you'd never notice until you threw a rod out the block.

Seems someone just wanted to be an ass without being malicious. That's good at least.

I thought that too, or try and drain it without making a mess and putting the plug back in.

But they might have succeeded if i had to work today, I guess i have to check for sabotage every moring now ;o;

Once i renew my job contract I'll be moving into a garged house so then i can sleep easy at night :zzz:

HyperTek
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
or find some dirt to throw on it at least it will be washed looking

TommyGun
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
somebody has it out for you...watch it with a sniper and put an end to the problem haha

just be sure to check for puddles of ANY kind before you start it up in the morning jic

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
or find some dirt to throw on it at least it will be washed looking

Yeah ill do that tomorrow

5t341tH
10-19-2009, 10:47 PM
why would anybody wanna do that to vandalize? its so dirty. u take the plug out, oil spills out and since the culprit is under the car, he would get all dirty. i dont think that would be the case....

David B S12
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
cat litter, then sweep it around/cover with dirt

drift freaq
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Honestly I think your being paranoid. I would hazard to say the drain plug fell out. What kind of drain plug was it? When you last change your oil? Is there a chance it got cross threaded and seemed tight but worked its way loose?

Reason I ask all these questions is because I have experienced first hand a drain plug falling out of a Greddy Oil pan. I once picked up a SR in the bay area from a guy in San Francisco. He actually advertised the car on the forum here.

I rented a car one way and drove up to pick it up. When I got there he picked me up and drove me over to his house to pickup the car. He was all I changed the oil for you. So I paid him and he $50 of the money and handed back to me saying here this is for your gas.

I drove the car down to 280 to my dads house in Palo Alto. I parked it in the Garage and went in for the night. The next morning I came out and found the exact same thing under the car that you did an Oil slick.

Zar came over to my dads with a spare PBM drain plug and we attempted to put it in. It was at that point we discovered the guy had A: over torqued the plug or B: cross threaded. I.E. the threads were stripped it would spin sometimes and sometimes grab.

Long story short it happens and oh, Luke aka Blu808, sold me a SR pan installed for cheap so I could drive the car home.

David B S12
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
somebody has it out for you...watch it with a sniper and put an end to the problem haha

just be sure to check for puddles of ANY kind before you start it up in the morning jic

umm more like check you oil level with the dipstick? he could use a pan next time

if i were you id jb weld that bolt in, and relocate your drain plug bolt at a angle you cant see it from. and set up a mini swinging hatchet /string trip off the radiator to cut the fuckers head off

Sileighty_85
10-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Honestly I think your being paranoid. I would hazard to say the drain plug fell out. What kind of drain plug was it? When you last change your oil? Is there a chance it got cross threaded and seemed tight but worked its way loose?

Reason I ask all these questions is because I have experienced first hand a drain plug falling out of a Greddy Oil pan. I once picked up a SR in the bay area from a guy in San Francisco. He actually advertised the car on the forum here.

I rented a car one way and drove up to pick it up. When I got there he picked me up and drove me over to his house to pickup the car. He was all I changed the oil for you. So I paid him and he $50 of the money and handed back to me saying here this is for your gas.

I drove the car down to 280 to my dads house in Palo Alto. I parked it in the Garage and went in for the night. The next morning I came out and found the exact same thing under the car that you did an Oil slick.

Zar came over to my dads with a spare PBM drain plug and we attempted to put it in. It was at that point we discovered the guy had A: over torqued the plug or B: cross threaded. I.E. the threads were stripped it would spin sometimes and sometimes grab.

Long story short it happens and oh, Luke aka Blu808, sold me a SR pan installed for cheap so I could drive the car home.

I kinda wish that it fell out so that i would not have to worry about someone messing with my car.

Im using the stock oil drain plug and i had just put a new crush washer on it.
I just changed it a week or two ago when i had to pull the engine to swap gears in the tranny. (almost impossible to install the tranny with engine still in with a twin plate WITHOUT A LIFT)

But i drove the EXACT route i drove last night and didnt see any oil on the roads. it was like a 15-20 minute route maybe.

also bought a new ODP and threaded right in

drift freaq
10-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I kinda wish that it fell out so that i would not have to worry about someone messing with my car.

Im using the stock oil drain plug and i had just put a new crush washer on it.
I just changed it a week or two ago when i had to pull the engine to swap gears in the tranny. (almost impossible to install the tranny with engine still in with a twin plate WITHOUT A LIFT)

But i drove the EXACT route i drove last night and didnt see any oil on the roads. it was like a 15-20 minute route maybe.

also bought a new ODP and threaded right in

well this right here makes me wonder if you torqued it properly. If you just changed your oil a week ago and put a crush washer on its possible you only lightly torqued it.
Seriously you would have to piss someone off pretty bad to even get them thinking of draining your oil.

On top of that, if someone was pissed at you? There are half a dozen things they could have done to your car. That would have been ten times easier than draining your oil and tossing the plug. LOL

Oh and there is no way in hell you would redrive the same route the next day and find the plug. Thats like finding a needle in haystack. The plug is just small enough to get booted down the road by a cars tire. or even wedged between the tread of a truck tire.

Not hating or anything just offering insight from a another perspective.

Sileighty_85
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
well this right here makes me wonder if you torqued it properly. If you just changed your oil a week ago and put a crush washer on its possible you only lightly torqued it.
Seriously you would have to piss someone off pretty bad to even get them thinking of draining your oil.

On top of that, if someone was pissed at you? There are half a dozen things they could have done to your car. That would have been ten times easier than draining your oil and tossing the plug. LOL

Oh and there is no way in hell you would redrive the same route the next day and find the plug. Thats like finding a needle in haystack. The plug is just small enough to get booted down the road by a cars tire. or even wedged between the tread of a truck tire.

I know i tourqed it properly,

I know they could have done worse, but these stupid ass kids these days...

haha i wast trying to find the plug i was looking for a long stream of oil on the roads to verify that it didnt fall out.

plus of the plug did fall out while driving my whole under chassis would be coated in oil (which it is not)

drift_limo
10-20-2009, 02:23 AM
damm someone dont like you ...

azndoc
10-20-2009, 02:33 AM
You prolly just forgot to tighten it correctly.

It happens.

fliprayzin240sx
10-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Time to slam the car to the ground so itll be harder to get to the fucking drain plug. Better yet, do they have a drain plug that uses allen wrenches?

dudermagee
10-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Time to slam the car to the ground so itll be harder to get to the fucking drain plug. Better yet, do they have a drain plug that uses allen wrenches?

x2
slam that shiz

clark
10-20-2009, 06:58 AM
well i don't believe that it fell out. if it fell out, there would have been a TRAIL of oil going to the parking spot...

someone definitely removed it. i'd say you pioneer a new product sileighty_85.

a security drain plug..i'm being serious. i just thought of this while reading this thread.

what you can do is either weld on a security lug to your drain plug or be creative. round off the hex part.

ugh wait, vice grips could still get at it...

but yeah...i'm pretty sure if...the person who did it shouldn't be dumb enough to do it again. the person who did it is like "well now i can't do it again because he'll be watching me for me"..

the culprit who did it will probably strike again when he thinks you'll least expect it.

dudermagee
10-20-2009, 07:09 AM
you could always put caltrops on the ground under your oil pan......:naughtyd:
http://www.myppt.com/misc3/caltrops.jpg

Sileighty_85
10-20-2009, 07:10 AM

I seriously thought about this last night lol, I really wanna slam my car lower but the streets suck so bad around here and to get to my work i gotta go over some HUGE ass speed bumps :rl:.
I like that drain plug Idea

well i don't believe that it fell out. if it fell out, there would have been a TRAIL of oil going to the parking spot...

someone definitely removed it. i'd say you pioneer a new product sileighty_85.

a security drain plug..i'm being serious. i just thought of this while reading this thread.

what you can do is either weld on a security lug to your drain plug or be creative. round off the hex part.

ugh wait, vice grips could still get at it...

but yeah...i'm pretty sure if...the person who did it shouldn't be dumb enough to do it again. the person who did it is like "well now i can't do it again because he'll be watching me for me"..

the culprit who did it will probably strike again when he thinks you'll least expect it.

Right i was thinking about this last night too and liking flips idea, somthing along the lines of an a low profile recessed allen key plug, or like a oblonged oval key that you cannot get with a screw driver and plus with the car being low enough it'd be almost impossible.

I'll probably search after this post if somthings already made. I doubt it though haha

drift freaq
10-20-2009, 12:19 PM
you could always put caltrops on the ground under your oil pan......:naughtyd:
http://www.myppt.com/misc3/caltrops.jpg

Yikes, ya those people would be hurting. LOL

Ben G
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Do you seriously think someone stole your oil plug? did you even bother to check to see if the threads were messed up? Just because something happened its easy to blame on someone else i mean seriously someones stealing your drain plug think logically now im sure they would have stolen your wheels first or anything else before a drain plug.

lflkajfj12123
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
lower it more

problem solved

Sileighty_85
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Do you seriously think someone stole your oil plug? did you even bother to check to see if the threads were messed up? Just because something happened its easy to blame on someone else i mean seriously someones stealing your drain plug think logically now im sure they would have stolen your wheels first or anything else before a drain plug.

Its called Vadalism/Sabotage Guy, and if you read the thread then Yes I checked the threads cuz i put in a new oil drain plug. It is currently still holding and have been driving it after i replaced it.

Ive been building engines and changing oil for 8 years, I dont strip threads on oil pans. You gotta really wrench on an OEM plug to strip it out.

Again
I drove the same route the next day that i did last night, It was about a 15-20 minute cruise around the town looking or giant oil stains.
I did not find any oil stains/streaks.
Im pretty sure my engine or turbo would have locked up if my oil pan plug fell out while driving my 15-20 minute cruise.

drift freaq
10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Its called Vadalism/Sabotage Guy, and if you read the thread then Yes I checked the threads cuz i put in a new oil drain plug. It is currently still holding and have been driving it after i replaced it.

Ive been building engines and changing oil for 8 years, I dont strip threads on oil pans. You gotta really wrench on an OEM plug to strip it out.

Again
I drove the same route the next day that i did last night, It was about a 15-20 minute cruise around the town looking or giant oil stains.
I did not find any oil stains/streaks.
Im pretty sure my engine or turbo would have locked up if my oil pan plug fell out while driving my 15-20 minute cruise.

Actually no your oil just doesn't magically drain out in one minute. In fact I can guarantee you could have driven at least 3-5 miles easily without completely losing your oil. Just clarifying this fact.

If you do feel it was vandalism then maybe it was. Which really sucks in my opinion because if it is its some pretty low shit. no pun intended.

Oh and why do I know this? Because of my earlier story. LOL

!Zar!
10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't see why someone would go through the hassle of removing your drain plug.

Sileighty_85
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Actually no your oil just doesn't magically drain out in one minute. In fact I can guarantee you could have driven at least 3-5 miles easily without completely losing your oil. Just clarifying this fact.

If you do feel it was vandalism then maybe it was. Which really sucks in my opinion because if it is its some pretty low shit. no pun intended.

Oh and why do I know this? Because of my earlier story. LOL

Right im not doubting you, i completely agree with you.

But but if it had drained out while i was driving i would have seen where it drained out on the roads.

This town doesnt have many asphalt roads about 80% are all still white concrete, so it would be very noticeable if i had loss oil.

Like my aprt complex, as you can see the road is concrete I walked the route i drove in and didnt see a drop of fresh oil

Plus due to the wind turbulance under the car im sure the whole underside of my chassis would be coated in oil

Bigsyke
10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't see why someone would go through the hassle of removing your drain plug.

A few years back, a family of theives decided to strip my honda to peices just to get the IAT sensor, they did this infront of a police station durring the holliday season at the mall of america. There were 2 squad cars parked 50 feet away. There was blood all over my windows because they had to crawl through the window to pop my hood.

I had alot of shit easily removable, but they left it in a pile while the only thing actually missing was the IAT sensor. They were caught, not charged, and no I didnt even get my IAT sensor back, because their stolen B16 didnt come with an IAT - so they couldnt prove they took mine, even though they had the snipped harness and everything.

This is how low these animals will go.

LayNLow
10-20-2009, 07:47 PM

BMW's as well as some Saturds i mean Saturns use hex/torx bits for their plugs. Hell some of the BMW's ive seen use safteywire on the plugs from factory.
To the OP here is another solution.
http://zilvia.net/f/engine/248406-parts-shop-max-skid-plate-gen-2-oil-pan-protection.html
And make a cover to put over the hole. Looks likes theres a bolt next to it you can use to secure it.