PDA

View Full Version : 1995 S14 Front End Clunk

RentonD
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
So I've read through some topics, done some tests and can't seem to figure out what my problem is. Here's the situation:

When I go over speed bumps, into driveways, or over anything that goes up and down rapidly, my car makes a "Clunk Clunk" sound. Note, that it is two clunks. I only noticed this when I go slow. It also does this when I release the brake pedal after braking from any speed to any other. It makes especially bad sounds after coming to a stop. I checked my sway bar and it seems really stiff. I have YamatoGarage Solid Bushing Tension rods along with Stance AL+Pro coilovers (2 months old) on the suspension. It's coming from the front left. Anyone got any advice?

Cliffnotes:
Loud, Vibrating Clunk.
Solid Tension Rod Bushings
Stance AL+Pro Coilovers
Tight Sway Bar.

Any ideas?

Ali 556
10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
check the bearing in the coilovers hats (the place where you adjust camber)..stance is famous for bad bearing's,

if so contact the dealer and he will give you new camber plates,

search stance ''clunk'' you will know what i mean

Ali

RentonD
10-17-2009, 10:26 PM
check the bearing in the coilovers hats (the place where you adjust camber)..stance is famous for bad bearing's,

if so contact the dealer and he will give you new camber plates,

search stance ''clunk'' you will know what i mean

Ali
Checked the top locking nut and tightened the little camber adjustment things with my hex key. I'm not really sure about the bearing or whatnot or how to check it. Is it possible that one of my 4 coilovers would be the only one with a bad camber plate? It does it on both braking and turning.

OK, so I just went out and did a test. I turned the car on and then turned my wheel from straight to full lock left, full lock right, and then straight. I did this twice. It only clunked when I turned to the left.

!Zar!
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Check your brake caliper. As well as your tension rod bracket. Also check your camber bolts on the top of your coilovers.

Sileighty_85
10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Check your brake caliper. As well as your tension rod bracket. Also check your camber bolts on the top of your coilovers.

X2

Maybe check front LCA ball joints?

let5l1de
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Everyone has great theories and suggestions of what to check. Look for loose bolts, fresh bare metal, components with too much play or improper tolerance, worn ball joints/tie rod ends, completely inspect your coilovers, and calipers and any other components in the front suspension.

Here is an exploded diagram out of the s14 fsm.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4026888608_1717e3f691_o.jpg

~m