PDA

View Full Version : Steal $200,000, hide in Cancun, Post on Facebook...

tricky_ab
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
...Go directly to jail.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33301490...h_and_gadgets/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33301490/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/)

Fugitive busted after accepting friend request
Alleged fraudster added former Justice Department official to friends list
The Associated Press
updated 9:14 p.m. ET, Tues., Oct . 13, 2009

SEATTLE - Maxi Sopo was living the dream of a fugitive abroad, kicking back on the beaches of Cancun by day, partying in the clubs by night.

Then he did two things that are never a good idea when you're on the run from authorities: He started posting Facebook updates about how much fun he was having — and added a former Justice Department official to his list of friends.

That kind of recklessness landed the 26-year-old native of Cameroon in a Mexico City jail, where he is awaiting extradition to the United States on bank fraud charges. Federal prosecutors say he and an associate falsely obtained more than $200,000 from Seattle-area banks and credit unions.

"He was making posts about how beautiful life is and how he was having a good time with his buddies," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Scoville, who helped find Sopo. "He was definitely not living the way we wanted him to be living, given the charges he was facing."

In status updates, Sopo said he was "loving it" and "living in paradise."

"LIFE IS VERY SIMPLE REALLY!!!!" he wrote on June 21. "BUT SOME OF US HUMANS MAKE A MESS OF IT...REMEMBER AM JUST HERE TO HAVE FUN PARTEEEEEEE."

Sopo explained that he had fled to "the one safe place where i can actually think."

keiglo
10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
baller as hell..

too bad he's a dumbass :D

PureTorque
10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
haha what a dumbass

zenki.life
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
he he he he ho ho ho ho.

i laugh at the world stupidity. makes me feel so much better

HyperTek
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
so the dude makes posts like "im having fun partying".. and the feds go "lets get him! hes not suppose to have fun "?? the fuck..

zenki.life
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
so the dude makes posts like "im having fun partying".. and the feds go "lets get him! hes not suppose to have fun "?? the fuck..

oh man did you not read hypertek!!!! haha

1. the guy stole 200k
2. he fled the country(i think)
3. he should have been in hiding(living the rest of his life in baller style)
4. he posted on FB when he should have been in hiding as previously stated

so he got arrested.

Get it now?

EDIT: i hope your post was a joke. otherwise nevermind lol

kyoru
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
moron...how was he smart enough to jack 200k

zylvia213
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM

i know what are you suppose to do just stay home and do nothing with $200,000.... I guess you would just have to lay low for a while before doing all this crazy fun stuff or atleast be on the DL when doing these things. That is pretty lame getting caught on Facebook lol.

aziankingz
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Why do people always get caught on facebook these days? Are you that obsessed with posting all your shit on facebook that you even include your illegal doings too?

charkid
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
This is just like that one burglar who broke into a house, swiped some goodies, checked his facebook on the home owner's computer, and boned out. Really? really.

DALAZ_68
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
smart enough to pull the job, dumb enough to gloat over teh internetz...

S14_Kouki
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I know its cheap to live in mexico. But can you really live baller style with 200k for the rest of your life.

DALAZ_68
10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I know its cheap to live in mexico. But can you really live baller style with 200k for the rest of your life.

in the phillipines you could...easily...its like japans mexico...

Slammed Assassin
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
200k is not much at all these days.

driftsilvias13
10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
HAHAHA Facebook.

ronmcdon
10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Why do people always get caught on facebook these days? Are you that obsessed with posting all your shit on facebook that you even include your illegal doings too?

prob the attention whore/egomaniac in them gets the best of them.
in cases like this, it's an absolute joy to see they get what they deserve.

200k really isn't a lot when you're also trying to evade the authorities AND try to live comfy for the rest of your life.

DALAZ_68
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM

200k really isn't a lot when you're also trying to evade the authorities AND try to live comfy for the rest of your life.

wtf are guys takling about

current exchange rate shows 200k = nearly 2.5 mill pesos in mexico...i could deff live a long ass time off that...especially since shit is dirt cheap out there...

tricky_ab
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM

It's crazy the kind of shit that some people are willing to post on Facebook. There are people on my friends list who just put anything up there, talking about how they are getting high or whatever, or putting really personal things on there. Anyone could see that shit.

Matej
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Exactly. Wonder how long he was planning to 'live it up' on 200K$.

S14_Kouki
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
yeah 200k is alot and it is cheap really cheap to live in those places I just dont know if you would be ballin in all. Maybe IDK

DALAZ_68
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
yeah 200k is alot and it is cheap really cheap to live in those places I just dont know if you would be ballin in all. Maybe IDK

wtf are guys takling about

current exchange rate shows 200k = nearly 2.5 mill pesos in mexico...i could deff live a long ass time off that...especially since shit is dirt cheap out there...

there you go...

and if it were the philipines ud be looking at rough 9mil pesos to live off ...if u cant live off 9 mil...its sad really even 2.5 mil pesos is a shit ton over der

amdnivram
10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
all he stole was 200k? not worth the charges

Matej
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
there you go...

and if it were the philipines ud be looking at rough 9mil pesos to live off ...if u cant live off 9 mil...its sad really even 2.5 mil pesos is a shit ton over der
You could live alright, no one is arguing that, but this bro was blowing it like some big shot.

Bubbles
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
You're all missing the real issue.

Is you're lifestyle that baller if you still post on a social networking website?

200 grand and you can't even get a skank to listen to you babble on?

kensreliableb18b
10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
haha...200grand = baller life? yea right, maybe for like a month.

Sil-Abc
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

reminds me of the NFL

HyperTek
10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
i think the question is why would you want to throw away your american freedom for just $200k? I think we have one of the best countries in the world, and to give it up for that much isnt really worth it.

Yeah i read the story, guess i wasnt thinking that they already knew he did it.. geez i got over 4k people on my myspace list, i wonder which one of them works for the feds lol

Matej
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
i think the question is why would you want to throw away your american freedom for just $200k? I think we have one of the best countries in the world, and to give it up for that much isnt really worth it.
If someone gave me 200K$ with the condition that I have to leave the country, I would be ordering a one way plane ticket right now. :)

Touge Noob S13
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Well in Mexico if you have money you are pretty much set for life. Mexico isnt a third world dump as the American media would like you to believe. Im not saying that its perfect but it is certainly not a dump.

Bubbles
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
If someone gave me 200K$ with the condition that I have to leave the country, I would be ordering a one way plane ticket right now. :)

Never to return, think about it bro.

Well in Mexico if you have money you are pretty much set for life. Mexico isnt a third world dump as the American media would like you to believe.

Compared to here, everywhere is a dump, don't kid yourself.

Not having to work again is less important to me than living here.

Genovese.Jr
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
this is mad old

240sxxs
10-15-2009, 01:12 AM
if i have 9 mil pesos in phllipine..fuck that.ill be buying silvias and godzillas and a house ...then im set!!

ayuaddict
10-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Never to return, think about it bro.

to be honest, i would still go through with it.

tricky_ab
10-15-2009, 07:33 AM
to be honest, i would still go through with it.

Damn that's rather crazy...Either you can live like a monk, or you've plan to die in a few years...

nathanong87
10-15-2009, 08:37 AM

not only never to return, but with the possibility of 30 years in prison....

200k is enough to live on ... for a while, but when i think "baller lifestyle" i think of buying cars, clothes, 1000$ bottles of champagne etc....shit u can't hardly buy 1 of your favorite ferraris, much less live for the rest of your life. lol

unless this fool wanted to be a baller in sandals and walk everywhere in mexico.

ronmcdon
10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
hence why i mentioned earlier it's hard to live the 'high-class' lifestyle, & evade the cops.

actually $200k is decent, IF you can invest the money freely without worries.
I would probably just live cheap in Costa Rica & speculate stocks all day.
It would prob be easy to pull a couple hundred dollars/day with a $100k capital.

Now if I have cops on my tail, I would probably invest in an identity change first.
Swiss bank accounts are probably no longer a loophole.
Buying some Mansion, driving around some expensive automobile, & living flashy is just risky.

Living 'well' is also really subjective.
Obviously there are limits to $200k, even in a poorer nation.
Personally I could be comfy with less than $50k.
Start a cash cash crop farm in a country with lenient laws, and sell to the tourists/wealthy locals.

S13Boosts
10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
LOL REPOST! & no 200K is not enough to live of off...youll need atleast half a Mil to consider yourself kinda rich.

greddy2die
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
this is mad old

This article isnt mad old (I think, the date in the article reads 10/13).

However, I think I know what your thinking about. Their was another story just like this, however it was a Swiss couple (I think). They applied for a loan for their personal business, the bank screwed up and depositied like 2 or 4 million into their account.

They fled the country, posted facebook updates about how fun they were having vacationing sipping margarita's or some shit and got caught...

idiots

Edgar
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Maybe in the US, go to Mexico with 200k

tricky_ab
10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
This article isnt mad old (I think, the date in the article reads 10/13).

However, I think I know what your thinking about. Their was another story just like this, however it was a Swiss couple (I think). They applied for a loan for their personal business, the bank screwed up and depositied like 2 or 4 million into their account.

They fled the country, posted facebook updates about how fun they were having vacationing sipping margarita's or some shit and got caught...

idiots

HAHA Oh man...you wouldn't happen to have a link to the story would you? (and thanks for pointing out that the article link is not old)...

sevenstar
10-16-2009, 06:22 AM
the question i have is how far will 200k last in mexico

greddy2die
10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
HAHA Oh man...you wouldn't happen to have a link to the story would you? (and thanks for pointing out that the article link is not old)...

I cant find the original article that I read, but here is an article related to it.

Oh, and I thought it was the couple posting facebook updates but it was actually the wifes sister making the updates... idiots

Facebook Update Exposes Couple's Bank Fraud Romp (http://www.switched.com/2009/05/26/facebook-update-exposes-couples-bank-fraud-romp/)