PDA

View Full Version : Former boy scouts slaughter mother and mutilate daughter

Matej
10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Scroll to bottom for cliff notes.

MONT VERNON – Planning to kill anyone inside, four armed teenagers randomly selected a blue ranch house to rob on a quiet, dirt road Sunday before two of them hacked a mother to death in her bed and severely wounded her young daughter, a state prosecutor said Tuesday.

Steven Spader, 17, attacked Kimberly Cates, 42, with a machete while Christopher A. Gribble, 19, stabbed her with a knife, killing her with blows to the head, torso, arms and legs, the state alleges.

Spader and Gribble, both of Brookline, also are accused of turning their weapons on Cates' daughter, Jaime, 11, during the chilling home invasion that happened about 4 a.m. in the family's 4 Trow Road home. The girl is expected to survive her wounds.

William Marks, 18, and Quinn Glover, 17, both Souhegan High School students from Amherst, also allegedly were armed with deadly weapons when they entered the home to steal.

Glover and Marks face burglary and robbery charges only. They are not accused of attacking the mother and child, though Senior Assistant Attorney General N. Will Delker said all four teens knew the plan was to kill anyone they found inside.

"All four of the defendants were aware when they entered the house that the intention was to kill the occupants inside," Delker argued in asking $500,000 cash-only bail for Glover and Marks during their arraignments in Milford District Court.

"The house was essentially targeted randomly because it was on an isolated road. It's very hard to imagine a set of circumstances . . . that poses a higher risk," Delker said.

About seven hours after the killing, one of the teens wrote he had "an awesome time" on his Facebook profile Sunday and at least one of them showed up at Souhegan High School in Amherst as usual on Monday morning, his father said.

Gribble wrote just before 11 a.m. on Sunday that he "had an awesome time with steve and autumn! Dexter is such a funny show!"

The brutality and random nature of the killing prompted many to draw a sinister parallel between it and the 2001 stabbing deaths of Dartmouth College professors Half and Susanne Zantop. The married couple were butchered in their homes by two Vermont teens, who randomly targeted their house to rob them of their ATM cards and PINs. Robert Tulloch and James Parker pleaded guilty to the murders. Tulloch is serving life in prison. Parker received a 25- to 40-year sentence.

Cates' daughter, Jaime, went to Children's Hospital in Boston with extreme injuries on Sunday and underwent surgery that lasted past midnight. She remains in the intensive care unit in stable condition where her father, David, has never left her side since he interrupted a business trip to rush home on Sunday.

Police led the four teens one by one into the courtroom packed with their parents and friends as well as friends of the victim, reporters and police. Each teen wore his hair closely cropped and stood stone-faced with hands cuffed behind their backs during the hearings.

Only Marks cast a quick look back at his parents as police led him from the courtroom.

Spader, who wore a black T-shirt and baggy blue gym shorts, and Gribble, dressed in a sleeveless black T-shirt and camouflage cargo pants, each are charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. They also are charged with the attempted murder of Jaime Cates.

Marks and Glover are charged with robbery, burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary. None of the four could enter a plea to the felony charges in district court. Spader and Gribble are being held without bail.

Judge Martha Crocker ordered Marks and Glover held on $500,000 cash-only bail.

All four are ordered to have no contact with each other, potential witnesses and the victim or their family.

Glover's attorney, Peter Anderson of Manchester, asked to have bail set at $25,000 cash or surety, arguing Glover has no prior criminal record and is a B student at Souhegan High School, where he is a senior.

He said the $500,000 cash-only bail sought by the state is excessive.

"It's the same as a murder charge," the attorney said, noting his client had not been charged with conspiracy to commit murder and had no weapon.

But Delker said all four men carried deadly weapons, though he would not specify the weapon Marks and Glover had.

Police allege Spader drove the other three to the area of 4 Trow Road and the four entered the Cates' home. Delker said there is no evidence to suggest Cates or her daughter were sexually assaulted.

He said the crime does not qualify for the death penalty under New Hampshire's limited capital murder statute.

James Marks, who is the father of William Marks, said Spader and Glover showed up at his home after 8 p.m. Saturday with three girls he didn't recognize. He said his son, who was at home with his girlfriend, went out to meet them. Marks said his son then drove his girlfriend home to Milford while Spader and his group left separately.

Marks said he began texting his son when he didn't return by 11 p.m.

"Finally, at 4:30 a.m., he rolls in," Marks said. "He doesn't say boo to me. He just goes to his bedroom," he said.

Marks said his son, a Souhegan High School senior, went to school as usual on Monday. Marks said he learned later that day of the attack; word of the teens' alleged involvement quickly spread around school.

"The scuttlebutt I heard is that I was all around the school on Monday," Marks said.

Marks said state police showed up at his home about 2 p.m. Monday to impound the black 1993 Toyota Camry that his son drives.

Marks said Spader showed up at his home on Friday with a knife with a blade about 4 to 5 inches long.

"I said, 'Is that thing legal?'" Marks said. He said he warned Spader against carrying the weapon because he is a "magnet to police." Marks said he went to speak with an investigator at Troop B state police barracks about 6:30 p.m. Monday.

"That's when he told me that they were wanted on warrants," Marks said.

Marks said search warrants were obtained to search the bodies of the four teens for scars, wounds and collect evidence.

"Ever since my son met Stevie (Spader) in April, we've been back and forth to this courthouse four times," Marks said while sitting in the Milford District Court lobby.

Coincidentally, his son and Spader each were scheduled to be arraigned on a marijuana possession charge Tuesday. Both pleaded not guilty to a charge of marijuana possession while driving on Secomb Road in Mont Vernon on Sept. 15.

Spader's parents, Steven and Christine Spader, sat in the front row of the courtroom during the arraignments. Afterward, they had no comment as they pushed through a crush of reporters and photographers on their way to their car.

Glover's parents also had nothing to say when they left the courthouse. Gribble's father answered the door at his tan garrison colonial where police were questioning him inside. He also declined comment.

State Police Lt. James W. White, commander of the Major Crime Unit, credited officers from area departments for conducting "pro-active patrols" and concerned citizens who came forward with "some key information . . . that really helped break this case open."

As a result of car stops officers did in Hollis, Amherst and Brookline, a citizen made observations and brought them to police, White said.

Investigators so far have interviewed several dozen witnesses and are continuing to interview witnesses. Meanwhile, Trow Road remained an active crime scene for the third full day.

Several search warrants have been executed. They remain under seal. Tuesday, investigators set up a blue canopy at Depot Road and Route 111 in Hollis, across from Morin's Landscaping, where they appeared to be gathering evidence.

Spader and Marks have been charged with committing other crimes together.

Marks was charged with chasing another car being driven by Dylan O'Dowd of Amherst about 4:50 p.m. on June 1 while Spader leaned out the passenger window, shouting and waving a metal tire iron at O'Dowd, court records show. Marks then rammed his car into O'Dowd's vehicle on Lord Jeffrey Drive, court records show.

Both teens pleaded guilty and were ordered to pay restitution to O'Dowd.

O'Dowd's mother Tuesday said her son did not associate with Marks and Spader and speculated the two randomly singled out her son's car to follow as it left Souhegan High School.

Cliff notes:
Last weekend four high school kids decided to rob a random house, and if there is anyone inside they would kill them.
They ended up killing a mother, and injuring her 11-year old daughter who is in critical condition.
Just saw a story about this on CNN. Apparently they slashed the 11-year old girl's throat and cut off all her toes.

Losing faith in humanity lately.

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-09-2009, 07:33 PM
you and me both man. I don't even know if peoples brains work these days. how can someone possibly just do that. its not even an act of instinct. it was an actual plot. our race is definately going downhill

HyperTek
10-09-2009, 07:41 PM
fuck trial, send those teens straight to the electric chair

SimpleS14
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
oh man this is truly depressing. The sad thing about it is this is not a one-off case.

Bubbles
10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
About seven hours after the killing, one of the teens wrote he had "an awesome time" on his Facebook profile Sunday

Gribble wrote just before 11 a.m. on Sunday that he "had an awesome time with steve and autumn! Dexter is such a funny show!"

It's comments like this that make me want to re-enact a real life version of the Boondock Saints.

xBlastoisex
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
It's comments like this that make me want to re-enact a real life version of the Boondock Saints.

+1, really dude with all the bad shit that has been going on in the world lately, someone needs to step up and kick some ass

illvialuver
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
they should let them go in the wild, and send the man vs wild, and the survivor man after them to kill them.

xBlastoisex
10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
they should let them go in the wild, and send the man vs wild, and the survivor man after them to kill them.

i day dream to much, but what about sending them in the forrest to fight for there lives against...

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/usa/Images/navy-seals.jpg

or

http://www.almostincidental.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/raptor.jpg

Touge Noob S13
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Stories like these make me start thinking like this guy.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/f40_200/34.jpg

SexPanda
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
fuck trial, send those teens straight to the electric chair

Cases like this, the justice system has to be turned off for a quick minute. They clearly will never be of any use to society. Therefore, they should be removed from society via lead poisening.

http://www.hip2b2.com/images/uploaded_images/bullets.jpg

dahveed
10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
GRIBBLE???

http://rowlandsoffice.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/dale1.jpg

SimpleS14
10-09-2009, 09:48 PM
stories like these make me start thinking like this guy.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/f40_200/34.jpg

death note!!!

zenki.life
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
seriously why the fuck is our world so evil?

Persona
10-09-2009, 10:42 PM
How the fuck can you do this to someone? Especially cutting off a eleven year old's toes and enjoying it.

We need to do the same fucking thing to all of them, screw letting them rot in jail. This is unbelievable.

nevertheless
10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I think the electric chair is being polite. Im for eye for an eye.

Persona
10-09-2009, 10:55 PM
I think the electric chair is being polite. Im for eye for an eye.

Technically that saying is deceiving as it does not refer to what you think it does. ( as in death for death) But this isn't history class, i know what you are trying to say and i agree.

spooled240
10-09-2009, 11:19 PM
fry these scumbags

ixfxi
10-10-2009, 12:27 AM
About seven hours after the killing, one of the teens wrote he had "an awesome time" on his Facebook profile Sunday

and my wife thinks facebook is better than myspace.. psssh

proof that we should have ONE standardized networking system for all the whores of society. we'll call it friendster. then we'll create a music sharing network, we'll call it napster. I can see the future clear as ever.

seriously why the fuck is our world so evil?

This is what happens when MJ dies. Its apocalyptic.

I kinda feel like that moment in T2, when I saw it for the first time and Sarah Conner carved "NO HOPE" onto the picnic table. :(

sleep
10-10-2009, 03:09 AM
i read the cliff notes, and i am disgusted. I would cut these kids into 6 pieces, then feed them to pigs.....

Omarius Maximus
10-10-2009, 07:56 AM
sort of reminds me of manson, and his whole helter skelter thing.

pinky121388
10-10-2009, 09:19 AM
damn dude, thats some messed up shit.. I thought houston had some bad shit going down, but apparently not... They need to cut there toes off and then give them the lethal injection

Jonnie Fraz
10-10-2009, 11:26 AM
To quote Dexter..."They should be repurposed as fish food."

GabeS14
06-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Cases like this, the justice system has to be turned off for a quick minute. They clearly will never be of any use to society. Therefore, they should be removed from society via lead poisening.

http://www.hip2b2.com/images/uploaded_images/bullets.jpg

I could not agree more..
if someones mind is so sinister and so fucked up and cold like this at such a young age, they definitley need to fucking go!
I actually beleive any premeditated murder should have death penalty

ayuaddict
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
dude, this was from like a year ago.

RPS13fan
06-27-2010, 06:45 PM
damn what is the person who searched and revived this thread searching for? lol

saleaf
06-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Firing Squad???

lawrenceyang
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM
this is disgusting. why the fuck people do shit like this i will never understand

exitspeed
06-27-2010, 08:21 PM
This is what happens when MJ dies. Its apocalyptic.

I kinda feel like that moment in T2, when I saw it for the first time and Sarah Conner carved "NO HOPE" onto the picnic table. :(

Dude there's like 20 people on this forum that even know what you are talking about. lol

Seriously I think about this stuff all the time. One of the reasons I've thought about owning a handgun. My old co-workers laughed at me when I said home invasions are one of the reasons I want to own a gun.

Csomme
06-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Why would they laugh? lol Everyone I knew growing up had a small amory in their house.

GabeS14
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
damn what is the person who searched and revived this thread searching for? lol
interestingly enough I searched for ("sunday june 26th")
I was hoping to find some kind of drift events or garage sale's going on today.

exitspeed
06-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Why would they laugh? lol Everyone I knew growing up had a small amory in their house.

Exactly. And I live in WI for crying out loud. Hunting is a huge thing here and a lot of people have guns here.

Yeah, I dunno.

Pblesh85
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Who the fuck does shit like this ?

Why would you cut off a little girls toes ?

I would like to be in charge of what happens to people like this. It would start out like "Law Abiding Citizen" and go from there. There should be absolutely NO mercy for "people" like this. Such as a humane death.

slider2828
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder what happened.... its been a year...

slider2828
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
MILFORD, N.H. - A man accused of brutally killing a mother and maiming her 11-year-old-daughter in Mont Vernon told authorities that he had wanted to kill for a long time and was disappointed that he did not feel any emotion after the slaying.

RELATED CONTENT

PDF The police report
PHOTOS Behind the case
A police affidavit released yesterday said that Christopher Gribble told police that his one regret was that “he did not kill the child, because she now had to live this.’’

The affidavit and other documents unsealed yesterday provide new details of the case, often in the words of the accused. They paint a portrait of a crime more diabolical than many could have imagined, a mother killed by machete, with her young daughter as close witness.

“They killed my mommy,’’ Jaimie Cates, bleeding profusely with an extremely damaged foot and toes, told a police officer when he arrived at the scene at about 4:15 a.m. on Oct. 4, according to the affidavit.

Beyond the grisly details, the documents illuminate an indifference by the four alleged intruders, who after the attack cleaned the bloody machete with a paper bag, bought food at a convenience store, and bragged to friends about the attack, according to accounts contained in the affidavit.

In Mont Vernon, a bucolic town of 2,400 residents about 60 miles from Boston, residents struggled for words yesterday to describe their reaction to the new information, with some declining to comment out of respect for David Cates, the husband of the 42-year-old victim, Kimberly Cates, a nurse. Cates, an engineer who was traveling on business at the time of the attack, has not spoken publicly.

Meanwhile, school officials were bracing for fresh fallout.

“We want to help parents talk to their children about loss, not just loss of life, but loss of what they imagined life would look like,’’ said Mary Jennings, the School Administrative Unit 39 superintendent, whose district will hold workshops to help parents discuss the new details of the attack with their children.

The four men accused in connection with the killing, along with a fifth charged with helping to dispose of evidence, have not been indicted and therefore have not yet entered pleas, said Jeffery Strelzin, senior assistant attorney general. A trial date has not been set,

Gribble, 20, of Brookline, N.H., is charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder along with his longtime friend, Steven Spader, 18, also of Brookline, N.H. William Marks and Quinn Glover, both 18 and of Amherst, N.H., face charges of burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary, and armed robbery, although prosecutors have said both were armed with deadly weapons and were willing participants in the scheme.

Lawyers listed at the court as representing Gribble, Marks, and Glover did not return phone calls yesterday. A lawyer for Spader, Jonathan Cohen, declined to comment.

Spader and Gribble were longtime friends and were both “sociopaths,’’ according to Gribble’s account in the affidavit. Within a week of the Cates killing, the two men had robbed a house near Spader’s house and pawned the robbed items, but money had run low and they planned another robbery, Gribble told police, according to the affidavit.

RELATED CONTENT

PDF The police report
PHOTOS Behind the case
Spader and Marks targeted a house in Mont Vernon in a remote location, and Spader and Gribble planned to kill anyone home at the time “for fun,’’ said Gribble. In the early hours of Oct. 4, he and Spader met Marks and Glover at a Wal-Mart, and Gribble drove them in a 1995 Oldsmobile Ciera to the Cates residence, Gribble said. When they entered the house, Spader was armed with a machete, and Gribble was armed with a long knife with a handle and a sheath, Gribble told police, according to the affidavit.

When they entered a bedroom, they thought no one was there, but then they heard a woman ask, “Jaimie, is that you?’’ Gribble said.

Spader approached one side of the bed, and Gribble went to the other, Gribble said. The woman tried to turn on a light, but the teenagers had turned off the electricity in the circuit, Gribble said.

As Spader attacked the woman, her daughter, who was sleeping in the same bed, jumped over her mother, Gribble said. Gribble stabbed the girl in the face and chest and tried to stab her in the heart to kill her, he told police, and threw her against a glass door, assuming she was dead. The mother appeared to be still alive, and Gribble stabbed her in the neck and chest, Gribble said. Spader then went over to the girl and kicked her with his boot and gave her a whack with the machete, according to Gribble’s account in the affidavit.

After the killings, Gribble, Spader, Marks, and Glover searched the home for jewelry and returned to the car, where they removed their clothing and put it in a bag and wiped the knives clean with a Burger King bag, Gribble said.

Afterward, Spader and Gribble headed to the home of a friend, Autumn Savoy, and told him about the attack, Savoy told police, according to the affidavit. They told him that they had chosen the Cates house because it had no security and that they had found their way around the house by illuminating the hallways with an iPod, Savoy said. Savoy accompanied the teenagers to the Nashua River, where he threw into the water a black bag containing bloody clothing and two wooden jewelry boxes, Savoy said. Afterward, he told police, Spader, Gribble, and Savoy went to the Hatch Convenience Store and bought food.

Savoy is charged with two counts of hindering apprehension or prosecution and one count of conspiracy to commit hindering apprehension or prosecution. His lawyer did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Later the same day, Gribble and Spader went to the home of another friend, Kyle Fenton, Fenton told police. Gribble and Spader talked about the killing in Mont Vernon and showed Fenton two knives, and Spader talked about how he wanted to play with the machete, Fenton said. After Spader and Gribble had left, Fenton told his mother about what Spader and Gribble had said, and the mother contacted the Amherst police chief.

As police were closing in on the four men charged in the attack, the investigation was aided, the affidavit states, by rain the day before, so that tire tracks near the Cates home were “very fresh.’’ Meanwhile, the accused became concerned that they had shown the knives to too many people, Gribble told police, and so they buried the knives, along with some pearls and iPods. Then they went back to Savoy’s house where they checked online and read a news account of the killing, and Spader and Savoy gave Gribble a hard time for not killing Jaimie Cates.

Cliff: He regrets not killing the 11 year old and he fucking went to kill others.... guy deserves to fucking die....

I LUV MY S13
06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Hmm, wonder what went wrong in their childhood. I mean, I couldnt do that to person I hate with a passion let alone some innocent little girl. And sick shit like this happens all the time, read this Goths arrested on suspicion of murdering and eating teenagers in Satanic ritual - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/2964383/Goths-arrested-on-suspicion-of-murdering-and-eating-teenagers-in-Satanic-ritual.html)

kinda old, but good example of the kind of things that happen in this world, and the list goes on and on.

HyperTek
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
id suspect media influence /movies/music... but its really down to the parents to teach them that it is not right and is just entertainment.

moocowmoo
06-28-2010, 04:40 PM
makes me glad there are guns in the house....

niteridaz503
06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
^^^^
Hell yes i AGREE

Originally Posted by SexPanda http://icandy.zilvia.net/img/zilvia/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/283496-former-boy-scouts-slaughter-mother-mutilate-daughter-post3073508.html#post3073508)

I would have to say that you took the words right out of my mouth man.

cemtoes
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I just don't understand shit like this....or the fact that people blame it on the media/tv/movies/video games.

I watch violent movies, I play violent video games like GTA/Manhunt yet I have no desire to kill anyone, EVER unless I'm protecting myself or others.

I honestly believe that people who commit crimes like this are crazy, honest to fucking god looney. You have to be crazy in order to cold bloodedly kill people for absolutely no reason other than you wanted to kill people. That's not video games or movies, that's insanity.

I LUV MY S13
06-28-2010, 09:32 PM
maybe not insanity, but a lack conscience

bardabe
06-28-2010, 09:43 PM
that sucks