PDA

View Full Version : UCLA student's throat slashed in chem lab

tricky_ab
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/..._ucla_stabbing (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_re_us/us_ucla_stabbing)

LOS ANGELES – Students and faculty at UCLA are stunned following a horrific attack in a campus chemistry lab in which a male student allegedly slashed the throat of a female student.

The woman underwent surgery for multiple stab wounds at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and was in stable condition Thursday night, Los Angeles police said.

Damon Thompson, 20, was arrested in the same chemistry building shortly after the stabbing Thursday. He was booked Thursday night on suspicion of attempted murder and was being held on $1 million bail, said Los Angeles police Officer Sara Faden.

UCLA spokesman Phil Hampton said the victim and suspect were both 20-year-old seniors taking an organic chemistry class along with other students who were in the undergraduate teaching lab at the time.

Cyril Baida, a teaching assistant who was working in a lab across the hall, said he saw the victim stagger out of the lab while another teaching assistant applied pressure to her neck, Baida said.

"The poor girl was completely drenched with blood. She was talking at first but then she started fading away," he said. "We told her she was going to be fine and to keep breathing so she didn't pass out. I told the other TA that he was doing great so he didn't faint either."

Baida said he did not know the victim or the suspect but was told that they were lab partners or had worked together in a small group on projects in their lab section.

Los Angeles city police and campus police interviewed about 30 witnesses who were in or near the lab and might have seen the attack, Campus Police Assistant Chief Jeff Young said. The motive is under investigation.

"Her TA — that guy deserves a medal. He had his hands around her wounds and was yelling, 'Call 911,'" said Baida, a 26-year-old biochemistry graduate student. "I called 911 and told him to bring her into our lab. He kept holding her so she wouldn't bleed until the paramedics arrived."

Baida said the organic chemistry lab where the attack took place is a demanding class.

"All my students have taken it and they hate it. Usually people bond during classes like that because they have to study together. I don't think it was so tough that it makes people go crazy," he said. "It's awful, but things like this can happen anywhere."

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block said the campus community was shocked by the attack and "wishing for the speedy recovery of the young woman who was injured."

Organic Chemistry IS a hard subject (I've seen plenty of freaked/stressed out undergrads because of it), but not hard enough to kill someone over.

xBlastoisex
10-09-2009, 11:19 AM
so wait, he did it because he was pissed off? or what im confused.

dt-p88
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
that's not cool a guy slashing a girls throat WOW :down:

Edgar
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
What is wrong with people now days. shame!

tricky_ab
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
so wait, he did it because he was pissed off? or what im confused.

As of right now, it sounds like this kid was stressed the hell out and snapped (thus the incident)...

driftsilvias13
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
after reading this, i keep on checking my neck.

sileighty83
10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
seriously no matter how tough shit gets, you don't go slashing ppls throats WTH is wrong with ppl

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know what the other guys are thinking. I witnessed a guy smack his girl and I beat the everloving shit out of him. Sometimes shit goes well beyond being in shock. It's like when the terrorists took over a plane with a box cutter. I couldn't help but think "c'mon". Even if he had a knife, you have to go after him with a stool or something. I just would think that the natural reaction of a human is trying to stop a bad thing from happening, not just stand there in shock.

qt_240
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Mann... I remember Organic Chemistry .. I hated every moment of that class ... ESP. Lab.. but damn slashing a girl's throat over it.. that guy had issues...

turbobrick
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought organic chemistry was fun.

ronmcdon
10-09-2009, 01:04 PM
so many violent crimes these days, geez.
wonder if there's any correlation with the economy.

zylvia213
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
yea no reason for people to start getting all crazy like that. Thats some crazy ass shit yo!

azndoc
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Whoa rethinking going to UCLA now.

tsx1racer04
10-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Sucks, I heard about this last night while in my chem lab class in ucsb. So sad, after hearing that and doing my lab, I was seriously guarding myself.

I LUV MY S13
10-09-2009, 01:57 PM
yea man this guy has other issues....school gets tough but i would never even think about doing crazy shit like this

sacco sideways
10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
not going to go to that school....

zylvia213
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
thats like faces of death status.

ixfxi
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Baida said the organic chemistry lab where the attack took place is a demanding class.

Demanding, eh?

Fucking students are pathetic. You wanna know demanding, run a business and pay your taxes. Get married and have children.... we'll see how fucking hard "chem lab" is then.

Fucking pussies. I can see Chris Rock say it now "Damn this class is so demanding, make me wanna slit a throat up in here"

Homer_Simpson
10-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Both of the O-chem labs were enjoyable for me, easy A classes. I can't imagine how it could piss off someone enough to do something like this.

ronmcdon
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Trying to find parking in UCLA makes me want to slit my own throat.
God, I dread that campus.

aziankingz
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
maybe that girl stole his parking spot?

ZX88
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
my ex girlfriend use to tell me all the time how much she hated orgo. Hearing her complain drilled it into my head to never take those courses.

DCP94
10-09-2009, 04:47 PM
wow Orgo is bad but damn, this dude probably had other problems too

Sleepy240
10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
The article lacks alot of details IMO. They leave it WAY open to interp. Were they actually just "lab partners"? From what I can gather there is more motivation than a class being difficult. If the class was that difficult (IMO) he would have commited suicide rather than murder somebody else. This story is like Transformers, more than meets the eye.

ronmcdon
10-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Well the article did state that motives were still under investigation.
It was merely described what happened, and that the victim & culprit knew each other.

The TA didn't say that the class causes homicide.
On the contrary, he just said he doesn't think it's so bad it would cause ppl to "go crazy" (and murder one another possibly?).
I wouldn't even bother speculating about the motives without more info.

"I don't think it was so tough that it makes people go crazy,"

drift_limo
10-09-2009, 07:22 PM
seriously no matter how tough shit gets, you don't go slashing ppls throats WTH is wrong with ppl

people nothing
society ... everything.

thats funny dude gets mads then slashes throat...

people sigh*

Bubbles
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I slept with my chemistry lab partner in college and was trying to give it a go with her blonde friend. (who wasn't having it)

But yeah, slashing her neck would have been fun to.

RiversideS13
10-09-2009, 08:22 PM
my friend from ucla biochem major said people try to mess each other's experiment all the time, so he was afraid to go to restroom at middle of lab.

jskateborders
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I thought organic chemistry was fun.

wow, you would make bank tutoring then. Of all of the pre-med, pre-pharm I know, your the only person Ive ever heard say that

SochBAT
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM
From my sister, "I'm not smart enough to be near there, so I'm okay."

Enna
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I bet she turned him down.

theicecreamdan
10-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Demanding, eh?

Fucking students are pathetic. You wanna know demanding, run a business and pay your taxes. Get married and have children.... we'll see how fucking hard "chem lab" is then.

Fucking pussies. I can see Chris Rock say it now "Damn this class is so demanding, make me wanna slit a throat up in here"

Oh please, running a business and paying taxes isn't that hard.

For a lot of people organic chemistry is a class that will decide whether you make it into med school or not.

I'd say at least 75% of the people in my o chem class are planning on going to med school, a few of them actually have a shot at making it.

Organic chemistry IS a demanding class, and most of the people in it have ambitions a lot higher than running some small business that the world could easily do without.

All that said, nobody needs to be slashing any throats over anything, much less who gets to use the fume hood closest to their desk.

DALAZ_68
10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
txt from my friend...

Oh yeah, it was in a bio/chem lab. crazy asian nerds...who knew?

Kouki_Love
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Wtf is wrong with people thesr days.......

ixfxi
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Oh please, running a business and paying taxes isn't that hard.

oh 24-year old ice cream dan, you certainly are the kanye west of zilvia. please share with us some of your most notable accomplishments and achievements.

For a lot of people organic chemistry is a class that will decide whether you make it into med school or not.

i dunno about you, but i've always felt that scholastic achievements are overrated. Not all, but many. There are plenty of successful individuals who start from nothing. Conversely, i've met far too many individuals with degrees who think they lead a different life than common blue-collar workers such as plumbers or electricians and think that their shit dont stink.

Organic chemistry IS a demanding class, and most of the people in it have ambitions a lot higher than running some small business that the world could easily do without.

haha.. i think i am gonna close my useless business and be your chem partner... that way i can cut your fuckin throat.

theicecreamdan
10-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I believe that TONS of scholastic achievements are completely overrated. What we're talking about here is on the way to something that is a legitimately real achievement.

Running a business is definitely demanding, I've run a small bar that I inherited after my dad died. I got out of that asap, I wrote the checks, dealt with IRS, dealt with drunks that are pains in the ass.

Oh, and please don't slit my throat. You can have the fume hood next to your equipment locker.

choleboy
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
she prolly called him ugly

kyoru
10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I have to agree, this article lacks a lot of detail...we don't know what happened before hand. But yeah slashing a girls throat is a thumbs down.

ixfxi
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I have to agree, this article lacks a lot of detail...we don't know what happened before hand. But yeah slashing a girls throat is a thumbs down.

i agree... slashing a girl's throat is a big thumbs down.

strangling is much more convenient, and without the bloody mess.

fastandlow
10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
what ever happened to
getting drunk
smoking some green
and getting laid
isnt that the best way to deal with stress in school?

tricky_ab
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
what ever happened to
getting drunk
smoking some green
and getting laid
isnt that the best way to deal with stress in school?

I guess not these days...