PDA

View Full Version : apple store junkies sworn to secrecy??

hopeless.s13
10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
so i walked into the apple store the other day with my bro, who was ever-so-kindly buying his girlfriend a 400 dollar iTouch for her birthday.....

some guy came out and helped us, seemed like a normal dude.
me, being the curious person that i am, decide to ask him, "hey man, you like working here?"

the same guy that was so talkative and charismatic about selling us some high tech device suddenly becomes quiet and almost reticent, and says "mmm... yea"

so i just figured he is just the type who likes to keep it down to business. no big. but i still want answers. I ask him another question: "do they pay you well over here?"
his reply, being of a non-verbal kind, was actually a snicker, a sort of withheld arrogant laugh, where a smirk was stretched across his face, soon before he looked away

so at this point im thinking DAMN i gotta investigate
In turn i ask him again, "no really, how much do they pay you?"
he replies
"oh, enough"

....and walks away with the iTouch in hand so he can ring it up
:eek3:

now, im sure that they arent supposed to disclose their payrate. ive worked retail before and thats usually one thing that youre not supposed to talk about, but the way he did it left me trippin....
has anyone ever worked at an apple store? i really want to know how much they get payed lol i thought it would be like most retail (8-12 bucks an hour + discounts)
but this guy is making me think they make 20 bucks an hour and get a free iPod a month haha

in any case, i tried asking other people a couple different times...
and its almost like THEY ARE SWORN TO SECRECY, i swear. i mean, i wasnt even being too enquiring. i was just curious.

CLIFFNOTES (cuz everyone likes them)
i go to apple store
make small talk, ask guy how much he gets paid
guy laughs at me like im ignorant and never answers question
i now think the apple store is a conspiracy/the culprits for 911
I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH THEY ARE PAID!

xBlastoisex
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
apple are a bunch of asshats imo, i work for philips tech support and apple tech is in the same building. trust me they dont get anything worth while. well unless youre like a superb seller then after a year of A+ sell's you get a laptop. but it's almost impossible to get.

Daniel.
10-09-2009, 10:39 AM
You're looking too deep into this. He just didn't want to talk to you. It has nothing to do with signing an NDA.

enkei2k
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
that's his way of making you look into it so that he can quit his $5.00 an hour job and sucker you into replacing him, while he goes and gets a much better job haha, kidding.

i'm pretty sure they get paid a decent amount, check link.

Apple Store Employee - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=363349)

driftsilvias13
10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
i doubt they get paid that well. so what if he smirked? his pay might be a lot to him and its also kind of rude to ask someone you dont know how much money they make.

iwishiwas-all*
10-09-2009, 11:18 AM
they are not paid much, it depends what you do, and they get a slight discount. the guy u were talking to just prob thought u were gonna mug him in the back of the parking lot after work.

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
My friend works for Apple, get paid a little over $10/hour. But he said they have "secret shoppers" that rate their service. Maybe when you started asking him things he locked up and got nervous.

tricky_ab
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't read into it that much....

hopeless.s13
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
they are not paid much, it depends what you do, and they get a slight discount. the guy u were talking to just prob thought u were gonna mug him in the back of the parking lot after work.

lol youre probably right, he was kind of a small dude, probably thought i was going to jump him.

that kind of sucks tho, i was all excited thinking it might even be a cool place to work. looks like steve jobs still has the upper hand.

... dont ask why i came to that conclusion.

ryguy
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Dude, you were being rude. Of course he's not going to answer your questions. I wouldn't tell some random person how much I'm making, especially while on the job.

ZenkiKid
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I heard from a classmate that they get good discounts. macbook pros for under a grand, free iphones.. etc.

S13E
10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I hear the Genius' start at $15+ DOE and Certifications and the Concierge/Greeter positions are Minimum-$10 in CA. Had a friend that started at $17 in California for a Genius position. They are all Retail positions unless you have a degree & exp to go under the Corporate side where they start at $20+.

Daniel.
10-09-2009, 05:30 PM
lol youre probably right, he was kind of a small dude, probably thought i was going to jump him.

that kind of sucks tho, i was all excited thinking it might even be a cool place to work. looks like steve jobs still has the upper hand.

... dont ask why i came to that conclusion.

Guess what, I heard that dogs will lick peanut butter off of anything anywhere. ANYWHERE.

You should try it.
:rolleyes:

S14DB
10-09-2009, 05:43 PM
My friend works for Apple, get paid a little over $10/hour. But he said they have "secret shoppers" that rate their service. Maybe when you started asking him things he locked up and got nervous.

Yeah, it borders on asking about store operations or employee moral. Which he can get fired for talking about in most any work setting. Especially to someone you don't know in an official setting.

I mean it is one thing to talk amongst friends around the bar about how much everyone makes. but to ask a total stranger at his work how much he is making is kinda rude.

sideways7
10-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Some people just dont like discussing how much they make.

!Zar!
10-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Exactly. How much someone gets paid is between them and their employer.

It's nobody else's business aside from their own on how much they get paid.

Bubbles
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
CLIFFNOTES
i go to apple store
act creepy, ask guy how much he gets paid
guy laughs at me like im ignorant which I am and never answers question
I'm pretty much a tard and shouldn't have the ability to make threads

You're looking too deep into this. He just didn't want to talk to you. It has nothing to do with signing an NDA.

Bingo.

Dude, you were being rude. Of course he's not going to answer your questions. I wouldn't tell some random person how much I'm making, especially while on the job.

And again.

Most people just don't like discussing how much they make.

I would have done the exact same thing.

shishcabobers
10-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Honestly dude, that was pretty rude of asking how much he is making or asking anyone in that matter, even depending on friends and family. I mean some people might feel embarrassed or singled out depending on how much they make. No way I would like to be asked how much I make by a random customer while I'm working. What you really should do instead of trying to figure out the pay through the workers, is to talk to the manager ask for an application and ask how much is the hourly pay.

so i just figured he is just the type who likes to keep it down to business. no big. but i still want answers.

BTW
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/PantherMax/curiosity-killed-the-cat.png

s14canyoncity
10-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Honestly dude, that was pretty rude of asking how much he is making or asking anyone in that matter, even depending on friends and family. I mean some people might feel embarrassed or singled out depending on how much they make. No way I would like to be asked how much I make by a random customer while I'm working. What you really should do instead of trying to figure out the pay through the workers, is to talk to the manager ask for an application and ask how much is the hourly pay.

BTW
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/PantherMax/curiosity-killed-the-cat.png

x2 yup that would have been my answer too, "just enough" I mean as long as it pays the bills and have a bit in my pocket im happy. more money more problems.....

sleep
10-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Exactly. How much someone gets paid is between them and their employer.

It's nobody else's business aside from their own on how much they get paid.

Thank you. It is very very rude to ask a stranger how much they make.

I would have had the urge to punch you in the face.

Although this time last year while i was plumbing a rehab center in phoenix, i would have gladly told you how much i was being paid. $39/hr, prevailing wage for the win.

SochBAT
10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
When I was asked by current employees how much I made, I always told em, "Man/Girl, I'm in the trenches with you there. LOL"

But I did make more than those lazy fuckers. Much more.

Jordan, gimme a garmin job!

Agent240sx
10-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry OP but you seem like the kinda person that can't take a hint worth sh^t

You asked him once and the way you describe his demeanor afterwards its pretty obvious the employee didn't want to answer the question.

He probably was energetic and charismatic when you asked him a tech question about a product but then you asked him what some will consider a personal question. A ton of people would react the same way, ask them anything about their products and they'll gladly answer but get personal and they'll tell you to f*ck yourself (if they could).

Common sense bud.

drift freaq
10-10-2009, 03:28 PM
What the fuck is up with you kids these days? You are the rudest bunch of fucks I have ever encountered. You go into store's asking people their pay? Which is a completely private matter.

You make threads on the internet in car forums asking how much money people make a year. Or what they got for the income tax return. Shit you fucks seriously need to learn some fucking manners and common sense.

Money and how much one earns is a very private thing. Broadcasting your income, your tax returns, even how much you spent building your car is a invitation to dishonest people i.e thieves and cheats and what not to try and rip you off, scam you or take advantage of you.

Fuck there are even people roaming this forum now that have scammed people out of fair amounts of cash and the mods do not take care of them.

Plain and fuckng simple, Money is private and you should not be asking period. Now get some manners and realize this shit.

Anyone with half a brain does not tell people what they make, or how much they get on their income tax returns unless they are close friends at the least.

Future240
10-10-2009, 03:30 PM
WTF, is it fail thread month?

drift_limo
10-11-2009, 05:47 AM
They are owned by wal-mart ..

hehe that is kinda rude to ask people how much they make .. .

they make ok money but its not 30k+ a year starting thats for sure.

Y dont you apply and work there for a week and find out?

plus I think they get commission on-top of hourly.

undercoverdjay
10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
When Apple sells their products to retailers at pennies under retail, the revenue has to be going SOMEWHERE. I work for an electronics retail store, and an iPod touch that retails for 299.99 costs my store 294.00. And this is a corporate chain, thousands of store fronts nation wide, not a mom and pop VCR store.

IMO Apple is the smartest and most asshole-ish corporation out there. Thier products are GROSSLY over priced, over rated, and they pay retailers NOTHING to sell thier products. Revenue is only generated by cheap 3rd party accessories, nothing more. The only reason retailers even carry apple products is for sheer market relevance alone. I walk in to buy an iPod and oh, well crap I need some "computer stuff" as well. That computer stuff has 20 times the profit margin than the friggen ipod touch.

So where is this money going? I doubt it even goes into that douche tool at the apple store's pockets, it sits and collects on its corny granola-eating reputation.

/rant

I LUV MY S13
10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
he probably gets payed garbage and didnt want to put it out there

HyperTek
10-11-2009, 02:21 PM
i used to work customer service and had a few people on the phone always ask me "how much do they pay you?".. i could never answer because we typically have bosses listening to phone calls, and people get kinda bitchy wanting you to answer their questions too.. so yeah dude its really not a nice question.

If I was outside work and you asked me, id tell you, but when people are at work, thats something you dont really want to say incase your supervisor or someone hears you discuss that.

Besides their computers, i think apple products are overpriced/overhyped no offense, everyone is up on the trend that they gotta have this and that.