PDA

View Full Version : Good oil sitting in motor for 2 years+

fwuffy squirrel
10-09-2009, 04:21 AM
So simple question, I've had my car in the garage for about 2 years now give or take, and before it was garaged, I had changed the oil and put around 100 miles on it.
So yea it's been sitting and every week or 2 for the last 2 years, I've been starting it and have it run for a minute or two just enough to warm up. I think there was a period where I didn't start it for 6 months because of some electrical problems. Anyway, on to the questions.

Is there any damage to the motor?
I just got new oil and am about to change out the old stuff, should I/how do I clean out my motor to prepare it for new oil?

EDT007
10-09-2009, 07:21 AM
You can try pulling out the Fuel pump relay and then giving it a few cranks. This should run a good amount of oil into the system so you don't have a dry start. Also, just check the wires and plugs (make sure the gap is correct) to be sure their in good condition. Last but not least, check the tires and brakes. Tires may be dry rotted from sitting in a fixed position so long and the brakes may have a layer of outer rust on the rotors but should wear off within the first few miles of driving. Goodluck!

g6civcx
10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
So yea it's been sitting and every week or 2 for the last 2 years, I've been starting it and have it run for a minute or two just enough to warm up

This is the worst thing you can ever do. You're stressing the battery since the engine doesn't run quickly enough to turn the alternator to recharge.

The engine also doesn't get hot enough to work. So you've done a bunch of cold starts, which is when the engine is most prone to damage.

Don't ever ever start a car in storage unless you intend to drive it for a while. Otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

Keep the battery on a charger. Properly prep the car. Then just leave it. You don't have to start it up once in a while.

Is there any damage to the motor?

Possibly. Those cold starts don't help.

I just got new oil and am about to change out the old stuff, should I/how do I clean out my motor to prepare it for new oil?

I would drain all the oil out. Refill with new oil. Then prime the oil pump.

Ceepo
10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
^exactly what he said, oil is cheap to lol...

slider2828
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah don't do cold starts.... otherwise I wouldn't think there is too much damage unless you did it like everyweek for 2 years lol.... but then whatever....

ixfxi
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
im in the same boat my friend, car has been sitting for ages

drain the old shit oil, regardless if its been used much or not. refill with new oil. during storage, buy a battery tender and keep it connected so that your battery stays charged.

the way i will be awakening my hibernating bear will be to refill oil with fresh oil and filter, then manually turn the motor over for a bit to circulate the oil (spark plugs removed). then I will crank the motor with the starter (no fuel/spark) to further build and check oil pressure. then i will give it the final start when i see that all of the above is in working order.

gotta crawl, walk, then run. go from .0001 rpm, 1 rpm, then idle.

fwuffy squirrel
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Well after having it sit for about 6 months or so I started working on it again. Just recently I've changed all of the fuel lines and the fuel filter just because I was afraid of any damage there and it was lying around my garage but that has nothing to do with oil so idk why I mentioned that.

As for the battery, yea it was crap and ruined because of the sit, so a couple months back I bought the better version Optima red top and it starts like a champ.

I also just purchased some new (good) oil from ams along with an oil filter so I plan to change the oil out sometime soon, although I don't think I'm going to drive the car for a couple months so I might just wait until I'm closer to finished.

Ive heard the sitting oil in the motor will gunk up and leave behind a residue even after it's changed, so is there any kind of oil-change-engine-cleaner-liquid-stuff I might be able to buy to clean out the motor before I put some good oil in it?

Thanks again for your input, it's greatly appreciated

g6civcx
10-09-2009, 02:07 PM
It's not so much that the oil breaks down. The oil absorbs water when it sits, especially if left outdoors.

You should at least change the oil.

If you want you can try a BG engine flush, although some people have varying opinions about the effectiveness of this service.

sacco sideways
10-09-2009, 02:40 PM
lucas oil flush its pretty good