PDA

View Full Version : i dont know if anyones done this: Write up included

landins13
10-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Ok so first things first, when i bought my s13 back in 04 the girl gave me 4 keys for it, but none of them worked for the lock for the hatch so the only way to open it is from the pull cable next to the driver seat.

well in that time ive added a d1gp wing to the car which weighs the hatch down and if you pull the turnk release it doesnt open due to the weight.

heres my solution..... i had a random electric door popper sitting in my garage so i put it to use

first thing i did was remove the lock out of the center tail garnish and from the latch inside the trunk so make room for a push button switch in its place. i dremeled the hole in the garnish to make room for the switch i attached 2 short wire leads to the switch mounted and ran it back into the hatch. looks like this
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/P1010033.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070041.jpg

next thing i did was decided where to mount the popper, it needs to be mounted to chasis ground because the body of it acts as the ground, you will need to mount it on the passenger side of the latch in order for it to pull the latch in the appropriate direction. you can use metal screws or drill holes and use bolts... up to you

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070047.jpg

next thing to do will be to run the cable from the popper to the latch itself, since i removed the lock completelly there is now an extra hole on the latch that the cable can be run through without interfeering with any of the mechanisms
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070043.jpg

with the cable tightend its time to wire up the popper, obviously you do not want people to be able to get into the car whenever they want, so my solution was to place a switch on the center console since mine is already all sheet metal and gauges and whatnot.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070038.jpg

its the black push/pull type switch. as for wiring you will need to have a non ignition switched power source to run to the switch in the console then you run a wire from that switch to the popper switch and the popper switch to the popper itself, inline fuses are you friend so make sure you use one the reason you want a non ignition switched source is because if you have it on an ignition source you will have to have the key in the car turned to on if you want to use the popper, the popper does not have an electric draw unless you push the push button switch so if you leave the switch in the cabin on its not going to kill the battery

other options would be to wire in an indicator light if your worried about parking at the mall and forgetting that you have the switch on , but thats up to you
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/popperwiring.jpg
ghetto wiring drawing yay mspaint

now the only thing left to do is test the system and adjust the popper so that it pulls enough and not too much.

for guys like myself who are running large wings and do not have the key for the back this makes it so that you can flick of pull the switch in the cabin walk to the back of the car push a button and open your hatch, which for me is alot easier than trying to wedge something under the trunk release to keep it pulled and whatnot

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070039.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070040.jpg

I was bored and had the switches and popper and whatnot laying around my garage so this cost me nothing, i hope its helpful or gives other people some ideas. if not flame away.

Gjohnson7
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Cool, idea. I wonder if there is a way to have the poper only active if the doors are unlocked.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/PA070038.jpg

dude, i didnt know mad max builds 240's now?

seriously, what the FUCK is going on with your interior? instead of fucking around with push-button trunk releases, make a trip to the scrapper while 240's still exist and pick yourself up a fucking black interior. the poo brown, faded wiper/turn signal stalks, and unpainted "cut-your-finger-off" metal surround is embarrassing.

the dildo shifter sucks too.

seriously, with cars like broadfields being done right - i cant understand how they dont influence you to do the right thing

iwishiwas-all*
10-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I wanna see your "d1gp" wing, lol

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
well seeing as how its a project car and not a show car, i actually drive it, i have an uncracked dash and full interior, yeah my center console is unpainted but i still have the stock black one and the metal one is a template for a carbon one im making, im pretty sure i just dont give a shit. oh and its really hard to find 240s is junk yards that have an interior i could get , im not on the west coast where at least 20 a day end up in yards because some ricer fan boy saw tokyo drift and slammed into a jersey wall.

typical. oh so typical.

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I wanna see your "d1gp" wing, lol

then look up some other thread with pics of it.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM
who cares if 240s arent common, they DO exist. find one, take the interior. that damn interior looks like throw up

as for the carbon fiber, like chris rock says, its like the dropout high school student talking about getting his G.E.D. in 6 weeks.... "slow down"

apparently modifying your car properly appears to be a challenge, i dont wanna see what you can do with carbon. leave that to the pros who know what to do with it.... or are you just aching to save that 3 ounces of sprung weight

HyperTek
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
thats the number 1 reason for everyones car to look beat up, its a "project car that gets driven" hehe

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
i have sheets of dry carbon laying around to play with, i always thought the point of a project car was to learn and build something you like, putting your own time and effort into, im not a big fan of dropping my car at a shop so they can do all the work and i can take credit for it in the same way im not building a show car to make some asshole 3000 miles away from me feel better.

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
thats the number 1 reason for everyones car to look beat up, its a "project car that gets driven" hehe

its a good escuse, how many people on here truly drive theyre flawless cars, and how long does the car stay flawless if you do drive it.

HyperTek
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
oh hush, theres alot of guys who keep their shit clean after tearing it apart :2f2f:
alot of jdm street cars still have clean interiors and still modded/fast as fawk
Its all about the maintenance

but unique mod btw. Id still like to keep the key lock though.

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
the only person who posted somethign relevant to the thread was who would have guessed the only person posting here other than me that isnt in california.

landins13
10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
its not about being fast, if you drift or race grip how long can you keep the outside of the car dent free. half the widebody "clean jdm" cars on this forum are only widebody because the quarter panels were so fucked up it just made more sense to cover them with fiberglass. ive got a lot of money in my motor and my interior will come soon enough but im not gonna rush out to buy a black dash.

when i tear the car apart this winter ill start my search for a clean black interior, i never said that i like the shit brown interior but for the moment im not that worried about it.

the whole point behind the popper and yes it was a waste of time was the fact that it didnt cost me anything and made my life a little bit easier

trsilvias13
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Good idea. Something I don't mind having. But I would personally configure it to an alarm and have the button only active when the car is disarm. And when it is armed, the button is deactivated.

And I would clean up the interior too.

ThatGuy
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Allow me to add some criticism from "your coast".

This is not a new concept. This is not a unique idea. You used an actuator, for exactly what it was designed to do. WOW! What's next? Are you going to amaze us with a write-up on how use an electric motor to wind a window up and down?

It was free, we get it. But that doesn't mean it deserved its owns place in Chat. Next time you do something "groundbreaking" like this... just post up a couple pictures of it in the Picture Thread. If there are any mouth breathers out there who can't figure out the basic wiring and such to accomplish this, then they can PM you for directions.

Have a pleasant day.

Drift N Dragg
10-08-2009, 12:16 PM
^^ Can't argue with that .... Excatly Right..

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
if only he had a premie account

he'd be able to venture into the clearcorners time capsule and appreciate the trials and tribulations i went through

until then, i am just another asshole criticizing him. ;-) little does he know, i too had a poo brown interior at one point in life.

landins13
10-08-2009, 12:54 PM
as far as the whole critisizing the coast thing, im from california born and raised, i live in baltimore md, moved out here because my grandmother was having heart problems. its more a mentality thing that seems to go with it. as far as that guy, you just hate me its cute, i get it , youre angry, its cool, this isnt the first thread youve bashed me in, and for now on ill stop contributing for people who are that stupid. feel free to lock the thread or delete it as you see fit.

ixfxi, id love to see your trials and tribulations if you want to pm feel free.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
ixfxi, id love to see your trials and tribulations if you want to pm feel free.

must..........

contribute..........

to zilvia.

premie memberships are not much. it takes a lot of money to keep this site going, even a cheap jew like myself manages to donate to the cause here.

ThatGuy
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Cute? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Damn, that joke was a hell of a lot more creative than your super cool, never before attempted, actuator install.
Stick to comedy.

CrimsonRockett
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Nothing new.

For future reference, use the picture thread.

:lockd: