PDA

View Full Version : what antivirus/antispyware do you use v.sept09

BustedS13
09-26-2009, 03:39 AM
(apple users, nobody gives a fuck.)

what's everybody using? i found AVG 8.0 to be a bit bloated and resource-hungry, so i switched to Avast, and... well, Avast sucks. it sucks hard. it may do the job, but it has voice prompts and a ton of nag balloons and i hate it.

I've decided to stop using Adaware on principle. it nags to upgrade to the pay version every time you open it, and it has a little "buy me!" panel on its gui. i'm not playing that game.

cliffs:
-AVG is too bloated to use anymore
-Avast is annoying as hell
-Adaware has gone the way of Winamp and i hate it now
-recommend the new, good stuff
-Apple users, make an Apple thread and suck each others' dicks there, do not shit on this thread

JayDee M Rolly
09-26-2009, 03:48 AM
uhh, i have avast.

you can disable the voice prompts and balloons. the only time the balloon pops up for mine is when there are virus database updates which is once a day usually so its not bad.

which avast are you using?

zenki.life
09-26-2009, 03:56 AM
does windows onecare count? lol

SochBAT
09-26-2009, 04:00 AM
I use nothing at all.

I maintain upkeep, and review any changes in registry myself.

chibo
09-26-2009, 04:23 AM
I run AVG, but it's mostly useless because I keep my computers very minimal - any changes are noticed immediately.

09-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I use nothing at all.

I maintain upkeep, and review any changes in registry myself.

+1 antivirus is the biggest scam of the century. Google how to run your PC without this stupid shit. I have been antivirus free for a good 4-5 years now.

meteorite_flo
09-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Busteds13, I would recommend Kaspersky. It's really good. I used it before but I didnt want to pay for it anymore but I went through a lot of AV's and I can say it's one of the best; Does not take up too much ran either. AVG free edition is good for what it is though.

Howard92884
09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
I use AVG Free, haven't had a problem yet.

kingkilburn
09-26-2009, 09:46 AM
AVG and never had a single virus/trojan/worm. I doesn't nag me either. Although it does have that link in the gui but what do you expect? The company has to make money somewhere and if you feel the need to purchase the software good for you. I'm just happy they decided to make a free version to start with.

TheWolf
09-26-2009, 09:52 AM
I've always been impressed with eset's Nod32... minimal bloat..

but I also moved into the "other" camp and haven't used it in like 9 months or so...

SimpleS14
09-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I use ESET NOD32

xtheenderx
09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Try using a combination. First, update, scan, quarantine with Super Anti-Spyware. Then update, scan, quarantine with Malwarebytes. By now most if not all should be gone. then install avg. Never had a problem since. :)

ixfxi
09-26-2009, 11:57 AM
almost every anti-virus program is utter trash... adds significant delay to normal computing tasks

with that said, i am using a corporate version of norton, its called symantec endpoint. i have it installed in the most basic, neutered form.. no firewall protection, no spyware protection, no e-mail scanning, just basic anti-virus.

i hated avast and avg, i think they are trash products. i hate products that auto-scan my fucking computer, no need for that nonsense. just check the files that i am about to run after downloading software from online, thats ALL i need. its been that way since 92, i dont see why it needs any change.

ripnbst
09-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I use AVG, it may slow me down a bit but I am not bothered by it and it works great!

Future240
09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I use Norton 360 2009, but I already know how you feel about that.:wavey:

S14DB
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Active:
-AVG (anti-virus)
-SUPERAntiSpyware (Trojans/spyware)
-Adblock Plus (extension for firefox)

Passive(need to keep up to date or scan):
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trojans/spyware)
-Spybot S&D (Without TeaTimer) (Trojans/spyware)
-Spyware blaster (Trojans/spyware Blocklist for Firefox/IE)
-CCleaner (registry / temp files cleaner)

I keep them all up to date but I may only run all the scanners once a month to double check the ones I use all the time. I don't think any ONE solution is fool proof. So I use a couple.

chibo
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't think any ONE solution is fool proof. So I use a couple.
You're bordering on paranoid there.

Does AFC in your subtitle mean Average Frustrated Chump... or am I just on the wrong path with the context?

S14DB
09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
You're bordering on paranoid there.
It has been shown that some of the new spyware has been programed to attack or avoid known spyware removal applications. I have experienced it fixing other peoples problems.
Does AFC in your subtitle mean Average Frustrated Chump... or am I just on the wrong path with the context?
Wrong context.

chibo
09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Ah, ok. Didn't mean to offend you, if I managed to. :)

SochBAT
09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
CHIBO FAIL! hahah

Matej
09-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Norton Internet Security.
There is always something different each month for those who must have what is best at the moment, but so far Norton has never let me down.

I also used to run Zone Alarm, but one of the versions was conflicting with Firefox. Not sure if the newest version would too, haven't really tried it since.

Flipzide
09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I use Kaspersky. I've used it for three years and never had a problem with it.

It's not a free program, but my dad has gotten it every year at Fry's when it's free after rebate.

ixfxi
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Active:
-AVG (anti-virus)
-SUPERAntiSpyware (Trojans/spyware)
-Adblock Plus (extension for firefox)

Passive(need to keep up to date or scan):
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trojans/spyware)
-Spybot S&D (Without TeaTimer) (Trojans/spyware)
-Spyware blaster (Trojans/spyware Blocklist for Firefox/IE)
-CCleaner (registry / temp files cleaner)

I keep them all up to date but I may only run all the scanners once a month to double check the ones I use all the time. I don't think any ONE solution is fool proof. So I use a couple.

a bit paranoid, are you?

i mean, if youre that worried about viruses you should quit dicking around with windows and run linux. all those virus scanners are useless.

if you guys ever get infected with virus/spyware, a REAL tools I've found are: combofix (for removal) and hijackthis (for diagnosis)

but rather than waste time diagnosing, i suggest you all make backups of your OS. much easier to restore a boot partition than it is to diagnose and remove spyware.

Helghast
09-28-2009, 03:25 AM
AVG Free + CCleaner + Teatimer.

I don't even run AVG, it just sits there chillin.

Anytime my registry gets touched, Teatimer warns me first.

I let anyone use my laptop without worrying if they go to Xtube or fantasti

Haven't had a virus in yeaaaarsss.

!Zar!
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I've never had any problem with fantasti

HyperTek
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
avg free + win 7.. no problems.. auto scan at noon but i can easily disable it.
any OS from vista and up wont get garbaged up like xp etc.

ronmcdon
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
norton 360 anti-virus.
yeah its a resource hog, but my company provides it for free.

ZenkiKid
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
AVG on my main laptop, and NOD32 on the other laptop.

driven_
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
havent been using anything since i bought my computer in Nov. 08 and trial expired in jan 09. Lol.

to be honest, i think it slows down your PC also.

viruses/spyware is made by the companies that make anti-virus/spyware software.

its a conspiracy! haha

Shaminii
09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Trendmirco

bboyswoosh87
09-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Well i read this today i'm not sure if its true or not

Microsoft's Free Security Essentials Antivirus Goes Final - Microsoft security essentials - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5370355/microsofts-free-security-essentials-antivirus-goes-final)

sephiroth99
09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Avira antivir is good too, I use it on my desktop

nothing on the laptop

here's a recent review of 7 antivirus (antimalware) by av-comparatives
AV-Comparatives picks seven on-demand antimalware winners - Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/09/av-comparatives-picks-seven-anti-malware-winners.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=Main%20Account&utm_campaign=microblogging)

phillofdfuture
09-29-2009, 10:59 PM
nod32...if ur a gamer...u should get this av

goldee240
09-29-2009, 11:11 PM
none just use firefox add-ons like ABP and no scrip it works fine go to the mozilla website and dl ABP recommend it for everyone

SleepR 240sx
09-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I seriously don't know why anyone wastes their money on programs like Norton and such. Unless you just being an idiot and going to sites that are obvious to give you problems Windows Firewall will more than suffice. I've gone at least 4 years running just the firewall and never had a single issue. For antispyware just go get Spybot search and destroy. It's free, doesn't take up much space and easy to use.

Stop wasting money and slowing your computer down by using these junky programs.

SimpleS14
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Now Microsoft has released their own anti-virus software that is FREE for those with a legit copy of Windows. I have it installed and it's not a resource hog.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

ixfxi
10-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Now Microsoft has released their own anti-virus software that is FREE for those with a legit copy of Windows. I have it installed and it's not a resource hog.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

haha who did they buy now?

fuck that, why waste time with legit copies of windows. that right there is insta-fail.

Gnnr
10-01-2009, 11:33 AM
None.

1. Use Firefox with AdBlockPlus
2. Don't download e-mail attachments (or use one with built in virus scan: Gmail, yahoo,etc)
3. Double check what you're downloading (torrents especially).
4. Have the latest Service Pack

Done.