PDA

View Full Version : Should Hip Hop/Disco/pop etc Artists be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?

exitspeed
09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I've been having this debate with my co workers over the last couple days. it's very interesting to me to hear people's side.

I personally think at least Hip Hop artists should be. Hip Hop is really more like Rock n Roll then any other form of music. I mean think about it. Rock n Roll was rebellious and parents didn't want their kids listening to it. It was the devil. Some years later it was completely mainstream and the most popular form of music. Hip Hop went through the exact same phases.

And by definition Hip Hop is also Rock n Roll.

A form of popular music arising from and incorporating a variety of musical styles, especially rhythm and blues, country music, and gospel. Originating in the United States in the 1950s, it is characterized by electronically amplified instrumentation, a heavily accented beat, and relatively simple phrase structure.

There is a country music Hall of Fame, but do we really need seperate Hip Hop, Pop music, Reggae, etc etc hall of fames?

It seems that term Rock n Roll is more all encompassing now, then just Rock n Roll music.

Do you think people like LL Cool J and Jimmy Cliff should be inducted into the hall of fame?

Gnnr
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Hmm, I like the Sex Pistols statement about the list.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame#Criticism)

ManoNegra
09-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Interesting, I'm on the wall
while I agree that electronic and hip hop artist deserve recognition
I've always thought of Rock N Roll music as music made by playing instruments live on stage
how about a "Music Hall of Fame", get rid of the adjectives and encompass all

exitspeed
09-25-2009, 10:18 AM

I agree with this.

illvialuver
09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I dont think Hip Hop should be put in there at all, unless it is like run dmc and aerosmith duo thing.

Yes I see the similarities in the two, but if they want a hall and fame they should have their own hip hop hall of fame or something like that.

Saying they are the same would be like saying yeah basketball players should be inducted into the baseball hall of fame. Because they both have players, and balls. And are both North American sports.
Well maybe Michael Jordan could be in both because he played both, but they have their own Hall of Fame for a reason.

I think there are rappers and Hip hop artists that deserve a hall of fame. But I think they should have their own Hall of Fame.
It does not seem Fair imo.

HyperTek
09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
thats a tough one, because than the definition of "rock and roll" is starting to get blurred.

ronmcdon
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Great topic for discussion!!

Well there are already artists in the RnR hall of fame that are from other genres.
There's country, jazz, blues, R&B and maybe some other stuff.
I think the criterion of these separate genres is that they had to be considered to influence rock "Early Influences".
Guess you could somehow make the argument some of the hip-hop influences rock.
Just depends on your perspective & could go either way.
Whether Hip-Hop is early enough to be considered an 'Early Influence' is debate in itself.

Also, one of the criteria to be in, iirc, is that the artist that gets nominated, had to put out their first album 25 years ago.
So if any hip-hop artist gets nominated now, they had to come up with their first album in 1984.
You also get artists who are nominated like 50 yrs afterwards.
Think Wanda Jackson (country/rockabilly artist from the 1950's) just got included only a few years ago.

I really think it's more of an 'old fart's club'.
If you already have the recognition, it's relatively meaningless to be in the R'nR hall of fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is a museum located on the shores of Lake Erie in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, United States, dedicated to recording the history of some of the best-known and most influential artists, producers, and other people who have in some major way influenced the music industry, particularly in the area of rock and roll. The museum is part of the city's redeveloped North Coast Harbor.

Currently, groups or individuals are qualified for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Nominees should have demonstrable influence and significance within the history of rock and roll. Four categories are recognized: Performers, Non-Performers, Early Influences, and Sidemen (as of 2000). However, fans have no input concerning who is nominated or elected to the hall.

Performers include singers, vocal groups, bands, and instrumentalists.

A nominating committee composed of music historians selects names for the Performers category, which are then voted on by roughly a thousand experts, including academics, journalists, producers, and others with music industry experience. Performers receiving the highest number of votes greater than 50% of the votes received are selected for induction; currently, five nominees make the cut each year, although that number has been higher in the past.

Early Influences includes artists from earlier eras, primarily country, folk, and blues, whose music inspired and influenced rock and roll artists. Other Notable artists that have been inducted as Early Influences include country musician Hank Williams, blues musician Howlin' Wolf, and jazz musicians Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong. After Nat King Cole and Billie Holliday in 2000, no one was inducted in this category until 2009, when rockabilly singer Wanda Jackson was selected. Unlike earlier inductees in this category, Jackson's career almost entirely took place after the traditional 1955 start of the "rock era".

The main criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner, (who has filled the position of Managing editor for the magazine Rolling Stone), former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once said:

"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today."[7]

I like this response from the Sex Pistols.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Sex_pistols.gif

ronmcdon
09-25-2009, 02:27 PM
thats a tough one, because than the definition of "rock and roll" is starting to get blurred.

It has been since it began imo.
50's rock & roll began from influences like country, r&b, blues, maybe bluegrass & hill-billy music.
I listened to a good deal of 1950's music,
and to me it wasn't really that much of an aesthetic brakethrough.

To me, 'Rock & Roll' wasn't really a revolution in music,
so much as a stage in it's evolution (or devolution depending on your perspective).

S14_Kouki
09-25-2009, 02:37 PM

I agree with this but. If I had to chose NO rap, hip hop ect should have its on category.

SimpleS14
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
The "Music Hall of Fame" is a nice idea, but there are way too many genres of music to keep them under one roof.

Hip-hop and rap should have its own category and something should be made before people forget what constituted as real hip-hip/rap.

kingkilburn
09-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Only rock and closely related musicians should be inducted. By closely related I mean things like country bop, rockabilly, and the like, as well as cross over artist of real musical value(RunDmc or Johnny Cash for example).

Other cohesive genres should have their own hall of fame that they get to vote on.

BustedS13
09-26-2009, 02:28 AM
open a hip hop hall of fame in LA or NYC.
stay the fuck out of Cleveland. Cleveland rocks.
yeah i said it.

and "pop" already has the VMA's, they don't need a hall of fame because nobody's going to give a shit about Rihanna in 20 years

kingkilburn
09-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Pop isn't a real genre anyway. If it isn't a song or musician of any real significance(musically not $$$) who will nominate them?

Nobody's going to give a shit about Rihanna in 20 years

Maybe 20 years from now people will be all into chicks with no butt. They'll say "Dat NOT! ass"

Future240
09-26-2009, 11:57 AM
open a hip hop hall of fame in LA or NYC.
stay the fuck out of Cleveland. Cleveland rocks.
yeah i said it.

and "pop" already has the VMA's, they don't need a hall of fame because nobody's going to give a shit about Rihanna in 20 years

I agree with this. Definition or not, the two musics are very different and should be treated as so.

TravisSW
09-26-2009, 12:28 PM
No, they shouldn't be.

They can have their own category/hall of fame but, hip hop doesn't go with rock n roll nor does anything else. :P

Future240
09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
No, they shouldn't be.

They can have their own category/hall of fame but, hip hop doesn't go with rock n roll nor does anything else. :P

:confused:So then You agree with what I said then. I said they should be treated differently.

VNG704
09-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Need a poll? I say yes but only the hip hop artists that make music. Not I got the dollar, my caddy on dubs, I shot yo mama crap.

ms!3
09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
haha fucking johnny rotten, what a badass.

kingkilburn
09-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Need a poll? I say yes but only the hip hop artists that make music. Not I got the dollar, my caddy on dubs, I shot yo mama crap.

That is why you set up a diverse group of respected artists to be the group to nominate inductees. When Common and Busta Rhymes can agree on a nomination it most likely wont be some flash in the pan Soulja Boy bs.

ZenkiKid
09-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I would say the only hip hop act that shouldve ever gotten the exception of being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame is Run DMC, since they had that track "walk this way" with aerosmith that helped spawn the 90s Rock-rap revolution.

kingkilburn
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
What about public enemy? They actually collaborated with a rock band rather than just heavily sample them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBA-xi8WuCU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBA-xi8WuCU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is why you need very knowledgeable people on the panel.