PDA

View Full Version : Musicians of Zilvia

DeathMetal
09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Ello all,
-My name is Brian. Been playing drums since I was 15...be 20 in October.

-Most of what I play is metal/deathmetal/core style drumming. I absolutely love hip-hop/groove/funk/fusion drumming though and practice it when I'm alone

-I currently play as far north as Tampa and as far south as Ft. Meyers in 2 bands. One I have been in for the last 3 years (myspace.com/wethewretched) and the other, about 2 (myspace.com/katynfl).

-Drums:
Mapex M Birch = 8x8(gone now) 8x10 10x12 12x14
Snare pictured = Ddrum Dominion Maple 8x14 as I recall...
Cymbals = Mix of Saludas with Zildjian hats and a Paiste PST5 China
Axis X Lonboards with E-Kit triggers (currently broken)
Assorted stands made by Mapex with Evans and some Remo Heads...

Here's some pics of muh set at its prime. Sadly I'm poor now and much has changed but once new cymbals arrive, it shall live as a beast once again! By the way...

The rack is gone. Most of the cymbals are gone, broken, or stolen. And the economy fucking sucks >.<

SexPanda
09-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I was in honors choir in highschool. Got down with some classical, son. Also tried to learn guitar. I can play dueling banjos lol

JayDee M Rolly
09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
iirc there was already a thread for this?

anyway, i played violin from 5th grade through high school. stopped after haha

I LUV MY S13
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
i sing in the shower

BustedS13
09-22-2009, 10:52 PM
i play trumpet. i was in concert band and jazz band in high school, lul. i also play piano. i have a Yamaha PSR-510. it was a pretty sweet keyboard when i was 15.

dOMEmE
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
i could play my two index fingers on my work desk REAL GOOD!!!

kevmeistah21
09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
mann i played handbells in highschool!

JEDIs13
09-23-2009, 12:48 AM
i used to dj house parties and shit when i was younger, but i sold most of my stuff when i got into the car scene.

i had some technics sl-dz1200 digital turntables and a pioneer djm-909 battle mixer.
now i just have my stanton str8-100's and m 201 mixer.

BustedS13
09-23-2009, 12:52 AM
i used to dj house parties and shit when i was younger, but i sold most of my stuff when i got into the car scene.

i had some technics sl-dz1200 digital turntables and a pioneer djm-909 battle mixer.
now i just have my stanton str8-100's and m 201 mixer.

take it somewhere else, jukebox

JEDIs13
09-23-2009, 01:17 AM
take it somewhere else, jukebox
:mephfawk:
hater

hOngsterr
09-23-2009, 01:29 AM
lol,

i love to play my tromBONE-er lol

jk uhh if anyone is looking to buy a drum set that reatils over 2k
bt he's selling it for cheaper hit up joel, sn is xpertsnowcarver (http://zilvia.net/f/members/xpertsnowcarver.html)

deolio
09-23-2009, 02:21 AM
just picked up a fender strat american standard last weekend instead of rebuilding my engine hahaha

i've been playing guitar and bass for 8 years. been in one band for 5 years and various other short-lived side projects.

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 02:59 AM
I drum and stuff blah blah.

Axis and Triggers... :duh:

BustedS13
09-23-2009, 03:08 AM
:mephfawk:
hater

tell it walking, jukebox

coww-cho!!!!!
09-23-2009, 03:33 AM
so is the hardcore/"death metal" scene still big in FL?

yokotas13
09-23-2009, 04:54 AM
alto sax, trumpet, and flute

Daniel.
09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I just play piano. Like all the other good little asian kids.

XeroX
09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I played piano for about 12 years, and quit for about 4 years or so. I started playing piano again since i bought my house, i moved my upright Kaui from my moms house to my new house so when i have some privacy ive been brushing up and learning some new stuff. (I only really play classical music on the piano)

About 1.5 years ago, i decided to pick up a diatonic and chromatic harp in the key of C, never really took that seriously i just play by ear when im drinking or bored and wana sit on my porch and make the neighborhood dogs go crazy lol...to be honest im not very good on the harmonica, but i play...if that makes any sense...lol

Here is my Chromatic harp:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/1/7/6/543176.jpg

A few months prior to buying my harmonicas i bought a cheap Ass ebay guitar for like 30 bucks to c if it would be something i would enjoy playing...I gota admit, that was the best 30 bucks i ever spent....im not gona lie the guitar was GARBAGE, but it played...and it got me to the point where i could play...so i went out finally a few months later and bought a nice Ovation acoustic/electric

This is the one i got:
http://www.ovationguitars.com/pics/models/cc48_sm.jpg

I also picked up a Ukulele a few months ago, and ive been playing the crap out of that thing...probably one of my favorite instruments so far...

I have a cheap lanikai:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/7/6/0/270760.jpg (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/#)

shmiddy
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
iv been known to slapp'e da bass mon. slappe da bass

JEDIs13
09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
tell it walking, jukebox

ya ok :mrmeph:

iv been known to slapp'e da bass mon. slappe da bass
nice "i love you man" quote.

Daniel.
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
ya ok :mrmeph:

nice "i love you man" quote.

You killed it. :duh:

You're not supposed to actually tell everyone where the joke originated from...

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I drum and stuff blah blah.

Axis and Triggers... :duh:

Yeah what about my Axis and Triggers?

Just because I use triggers, doesn't mean I don't stomp through a few bass heads here and there :)

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
so is the hardcore/"death metal" scene still big in FL?

Yes...decently. Lately there are just more and more cookie-cutter boring fucking bands coming out. The one band I'm in "Katyn", is trying to push melodic deathmetal back into the scene but there are to many core kids that like breakdowns....I like them when they're done right but jesus are they over done.

My other band, We The Wretched, is more out there. Blues, the Faceless, and a lot of technical shit come to mind. It's hella fun...

I'd actually like to start an indie, hip-hop, or just something fun, type of band.

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Metal is dead. Hardcore has been dead for the past ~10 years despite what all the cool kids with shaved heads, gauges, and tattoos will tell you. :p

I'm so ready to move on, at least as a musician.

Currently trying to start an indie/reggae/funk/electro-pop thing.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Metal is dead. Hardcore has been dead for the past ~10 years despite what all the cool kids with shaved heads, gauges, and tattoos will tell you. :p

I'm so ready to move on.

Currently trying to start an indie/reggae/funk/electro-pop thing.

Lol I haz shaved head and gauges. I don't like hardcore though. I've always been into metal.

Minus the reggae, that sounds like hella fun. Kinda what I wanna do.

Maybe something close to The Postal Service or even Death Cab?

For hip-hop I'd love to do some like Nujabes-style stuff or even make a band like Flobots.

greddy2die
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Havent been playing for long, but I play the guitar now. Got a nice Epiphone Goth Les Paul and Fender Strat.

Used to play the alto sax in middle school, stopped after that. I didnt appreciate it back then I really wish I never stopped though.

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Lol I haz shaved head and gauges. I don't like hardcore though. I've always been into metal.

Minus the reggae, that sounds like hella fun. Kinda what I wanna do.

Maybe something close to The Postal Service or even Death Cab?

For hip-hop I'd love to do some like Nujabes-style stuff or even make a band like Flobots.

Well the reggae influence would only be more apparent in the rhythm section with all the other aspects layered over top. I learned a lot of my basics through playing reggae so it just comes naturally.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Well the reggae influence would only be more apparent in the rhythm section with all the other aspects layered over top. I learned a lot of my basics through playing reggae so it just comes naturally.

Ah very nice. If you ever do get the project going, hit me up. I'd love to hear it.

So why you diss on the triggers? ;p

coww-cho!!!!!
09-23-2009, 03:09 PM
1lNi9ZKO_0g

i'd like to jam like this time to time
love playing with ghost notes

xpertsnowcarver
09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm a drummer :) But I haven't been using them near as much as I used to back in High School.

Anyone want to buy my drumset?? Seriously.

Genovese.Jr
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
im a dj does that count

blasting_speed
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I've been playing electric guitar for almost 10 years now. I played for a few death metal bands here in L.A.

Currently looking a drummer or band to jam with.

As funny as it may seem i hate death metal, but something about playing it makes me feel good. It makes me feel like i let out some aggression.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
i'd like to jam like this time to time
love playing with ghost notes

Guy has really good groove and some great ideas but I think he's overplaying a bit. Other than that small gripe, he's amazing!

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Ah very nice. If you ever do get the project going, hit me up. I'd love to hear it.

So why you diss on the triggers? ;p

Cheating haha.

I guess it's just the Metal stigma. I hate the way most deathcore/"metal" bass drums sound in the mix. To overpowered, too produced, too digital.

That being said, nothing sounds as good as a pure, well tuned bass drum with someone going Lance Armstrong all over it.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Cheating haha.

I guess it's just the Metal stigma. I hate the way most deathcore/"metal" bass drums sound in the mix. To overpowered, too produced, too digital.

That being said, nothing sounds as good as a pure, well tuned bass drum with someone going Lance Armstrong all over it.

Cheating? No such thing. Triggers actually make double bass much harder to play. You have to be as precise as possible because it's going to amplify your strokes as a sample from a drum module.

Not to mention, some of the songs my bands have are over 230BPM...natural bassdrum sound, turns to much no matter what you do at that speed ;p.

Did you know that over 80% of everything recorded that has drums in it since the 1980's has had triggering of some form on the drums? Mostly because people will sample the drums at the beginning of recording an album and program the sounds so they stay consistent till the end cuz unfortunately, drums do go out of tune relatively fast.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh by the way. If any of you drummers are looking for a forum board with a pretty decent community and set of dudes on it, I suggest Drums My Life - drum forum, drummers community - Index page (http://www.drumsmylife.com).

I'm the evil moderator known as "Howepirate" on there ;)

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Cheating? No such thing. Triggers actually make double bass much harder to play. You have to be as precise as possible because it's going to amplify your strokes as a sample from a drum module.

Not to mention, some of the songs my bands have are over 230BPM...natural bassdrum sound, turns to much no matter what you do at that speed ;p.

Did you know that over 80% of everything recorded that has drums in it since the 1980's has had triggering of some form on the drums? Mostly because people will sample the drums at the beginning of recording an album and program the sounds so they stay consistent till the end cuz unfortunately, drums do go out of tune relatively fast.

Yeah, when we were looking around for studios to record in a lot of them were going over the mic'ing and triggering process and I didn't like it.

It was a hardcore band, so it was entirely not necessary. Nothing worse than over-produced hardcore.

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, when we were looking around for studios to record in a lot of them were going over the mic'ing and triggering process and I didn't like it.

It was a hardcore band, so it was entirely not necessary. Nothing worse than over-produced hardcore.

Bah! No reason to do it in hardcore, I agree.

I mean I guess they could do like what our last engineer did and sample the kick, make a "trigger" out of it and just fill in where it's needed in the actual recording but I don't see a reason otherwise.

Oh check this out btw. myspace.com/wethewretched guy did 8 hours and EVERYTHING (recording, mastering, triggering, etc etc) for 150 bux!

I think it came out quite well for what we paid.

ESmorz
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Bah! No reason to do it in hardcore, I agree.

I mean I guess they could do like what our last engineer did and sample the kick, make a "trigger" out of it and just fill in where it's needed in the actual recording but I don't see a reason otherwise.

Oh check this out btw. myspace.com/wethewretched guy did 8 hours and EVERYTHING (recording, mastering, triggering, etc etc) for 150 bux!

I think it came out quite well for what we paid.

I dig it. Not nearly as cheesey or deathcore-y as I would expect out of Florida.

This is pretty much all I have left from my last band, it's old as shit and we recorded it in my garage with two vocal mics. Just straight ahead shit.

Iu01Vr5zIOg

DeathMetal
09-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey thanks a lot man, that really means a lot.

Your music sounds (sounded I guess..) like Hatebreed a lot. I really dig it man. Sounds like music to fight people to haha!

Koukisteve29
09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Drummer for life! Check out my vids. Looking to start a local christian band....

Drum and Guitar Jam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mu81ddtieA)

and here's a solo...not that good, but that was a long time ago.

Drum Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIq7Xb-xGFY)