PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel with quick release wont go straight

240cracker
09-20-2009, 10:54 PM
i have AWORKS quick release & works bell short hub with a personal wheel. looks great pops on and off fine but the wheel wont stay straight when im driving straight.

the car doesn't pull

the alignment was just done and all tires wear evenly

i took it off and mounted it on a different hole its either 45 degrees to the right or left which every way i mount it.

i dont know if its just cuz its a cheap quick release or something... it gets really annoying. anyone else have this problem? want to get some opinions before i go buy another quick release!

THX
-Steven

FaLKoN240
09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
i have AWORKS quick release & works bell short hub with a personal wheel. looks great pops on and off fine but the wheel wont stay straight when im driving straight.

the car doesn't pull

the alignment was just done and all tires wear evenly

i took it off and mounted it on a different hole its either 45 degrees to the right or left which every way i mount it.

i dont know if its just cuz its a cheap quick release or something... it gets really annoying. anyone else have this problem? want to get some opinions before i go buy another quick release!

THX
-Steven

Try a combination of moving your hub AND quick release...

Depending on what kind of hub you have, you may have a hub with the universal 12 bolt pattern, but the QR only has one bolt pattern on the mounting pad.

Then the mounting pad for the wheel is universal, you gotta mess with it, if you want it done right.

240cracker
09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
^^^^

ya i want that shit perfect

thx falkon

more opinions please

g6civcx
09-21-2009, 06:31 AM
The prescribed way is to get an alignment and center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rods.

Failing that, adjust by moving your hub around the steer hub splines, but you can only make discrete adjustments, ilke 3-4 degrees each time you move the hub around the splines.

GSXRJJordan
09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
The prescribed way is to get an alignment and center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rods.

Failing that, adjust by moving your hub around the steer hub splines, but you can only make discrete adjustments, ilke 3-4 degrees each time you move the hub around the splines.

Every race alignment shop I've been to (don't know about FSM, have to check) assumes the rack is centered, centers the tie rods/sets toe, then adjust the wheel to the 'center'.

I'm guessing he didn't impact the hub nut down hard enough, and he's got play in the hub. Happened to me with my Boss (cheap) hub, just put a washer under the nut and impacted it down, voila, tight steering wheel again.