PDA

View Full Version : Computer idiot with 1000 bucks and no computer.

gotta240
09-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I live in a small apartment, know nothing about computers, and have 1000 bucks to spend on one. I only use the computer for surfing the net, saving pictures, and writing research papers (meaning i need to print too)

I like the idea of buying a laptop and using an HDMI cable while at home to use my flatscreen tv as the monitor. Any downside to that? I just dont like the idea of squinting at a laptop during 6-8 hr study sessions. Sound good?

I also considered a netbook, but that seems too small, and so far, i haven't heard of any with HDMI capabilities.

Suggestions? I dont need anything super fancy, but like quality. A full size computer would really make my small apartment even more tight. Suggestions?

SimpleS14
09-20-2009, 02:33 PM
There are a lot of laptops out there to meet your needs from various manufacturers. I'm alittle bias, but I really like HP laptops (because I use to own one). I've been eyeing the Acer Timeline series, but I'm waiting until Windows 7 is officially released.

Here is what I'm waiting for from Acer: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10282121-1.html

Have you checked out local stores?

As for the TV as a monitor...that is a good idea, just make sure you buy a wireless keyboard and mouse.

chibo
09-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Lenovo Outlet - Laptops & netbooks (http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops.html)

A. Lenovos are awesome
B. Refurbs are a good way to save money

For $1k and your goals I'd look for a 15" one... wait, nevermind. Just look for a Dell with HDMI.
Don't get a netbook, they suck for main computer use - the screen resolution is too small and you're scrolling all over the place. I've had a HP Mini 1000 for about 5 months now, it's nice, but it's not right for you.

I LUV MY S13
09-20-2009, 02:39 PM
lap top is the best way to go imo...1000 bucks will get u a nice one too

Future240
09-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I only use the computer for surfing the net, saving pictures, and writing research papers (meaning i need to print too)

You don't need a 1000 for this.

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Bronze - dv7-1448dx (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9445718&type=product&id=1218105504639)

It has an HDMI output And it comes with a Windows 7 upgrade. This is basically what you need, and almost half of the money you are willing to pay. If anyone says anything about it having an AMD processor tell them to STFU, the performance difference between the two is pretty much only noticeable if you are doing heavy CAD Ansys, or gaming.

You can also check Ebay for this same laptop it will probably be cheaper, and may or may not come with W7 upgrade.

SexPanda
09-20-2009, 03:25 PM
1: get a 200 dollar netbook.
2: spend the rest on hookers and blow
3: ???
4: PROFIT

Slammed180
09-20-2009, 03:34 PM
1: get a 200 dollar netbook.
2: spend the rest on hookers and blow
3: ???
4: PROFIT

I like this.

But yea. Laptop. HDMI. Win.

ronmcdon
09-20-2009, 04:11 PM
you could probably get a decent laptop for $500.
get a decent 24" monitor for around $250 for writing those papers.
get a external 1gig hard disk for $100.
get a keyboard, mouse, & hdmi cable for $50-70.

If you're willing to splurge a little,
the 'Hanns-G' 27.5" monitor for around $350 is a fair deal.
I've have it for a few months & love it a lot.
It definitely good enough for watching movies on my desk.

I have a similar setup in my room.
basically have a laptop hooked up to a larger 21" monitor, full size keyboard/mouse, external hd, & better 2.1 speaker setup.

gotta240
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you SIMPLES14 (i was hoping you'd respond, as i find you often think with similar reasoning as myself), CHIBO, and FUTURES14, and RONMCDON. Great suggestions/starting place.

The wireless keyboard and mouse is a GREAT IDEA!!!! That would make the whole HDMI thing much more useable!

Ronmcdon- Just curious why you suggest getting a large monitor instead of just using my 50" flatscreen from my couch? I dont really have a "desk" at my apartment and dont need a great sound system or anything. Am i overlooking something that you are seeing?

I have been to the store to look at laptops/netbooks, but i just get pissed off, confused, and leave. I am so "behind the times" with computers that its frustrating. I would probably have an easier time purse shopping.

Thanks again and if any more ideas come to mind, please let me know.

chibo
09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Don't shop at local stores for computers, you're going to end up getting suckered and paying a lot more than you should.

Future240 linked a decent compromise, I had a 17" dell - it's such a huge screen for a laptop, but if you're not going to be carrying the thing around or needing to run off battery it's great.

S14_Kouki
09-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Iv had my dell for 3 years now and love it

Matej
09-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Go to Best Buy and purchase a reputable system/laptop that suits you.
Plus you can make payments on it.

All the Dell laptops I have used have had something dumb go wrong though. I will most likely never get a Dell again, but that is just personal preference.

gotta240
09-20-2009, 04:28 PM
http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121849&bid=3381288&cid=0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage. jsp%3FskuId%3D9445718%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218 105504639 (http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121849&bid=3381288&cid=0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage. jsp%3FskuId%3D9445718%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218 105504639)

Sincerely, thank you guys for the replies! I cant even express how computer-retarded i am! Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?

Edit- it says its NOT bluetooth enabled... Does that mean i cant use wireless printers, laptops, mouse?
Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?

THANK YOU!

S14_Kouki
09-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I've been eyeing the Acer Timeline series.

From what I have heard they have weak video cards. My friend has a lenovo and thats a awesome netbook

Future240
09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Edit- it says its NOT bluetooth enabled... Does that mean i cant use wireless printers, laptops, mouse?
Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?THANK YOU!

Just connect your printer to your wireless network and it should work fine, just be sure to have a printer that can work in this situation. wireless keyboards and mice don't use bluetooth most of the time. Usually you plug a small USB receiver into the computer and it broadcasts that way

kdashy
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Ronmcdon- Just curious why you suggest getting a large monitor instead of just using my 50" flatscreen from my couch? I dont really have a "desk" at my apartment and dont need a great sound system or anything. Am i overlooking something that you are seeing?

Watching a movie or playing games from a computer to a TV is great, but they usually cant display small text well because the resolution/size ratio of TVs are way lower than monitors.

Future240
09-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Watching a movie or playing games from a computer to a TB is great, but they usually cant display small text well because the resolution of TVs are way lower than monitors.

Unless he has an HD TV running at 1080p which is what my monitor is running at now.

jimmytango00
09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Apple...... the end.

SimpleS14
09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Don't shop at local stores for computers, you're going to end up getting suckered and paying a lot more than you should.

I mentioned the part about checking out the local stores to get a good idea on the look and feel of a laptop. You're bound to find better deals online.

Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?

I like HP and have nothing against a refurbished unit. My only grip with that laptop is the bronze finish...too bling, but that is me. :keke: Either way, it's a REALLY nice laptop and I can't find one with similar specs for that price. Check it out at a local Best Buy and see if you like it.

Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?

Every laptop has a wifi chip so you can connect to a wireless wifi network. "3G" is something completely different...it's what cellphone companies use for internet service.

From what I have heard they have weak video cards. My friend has a lenovo and thats a awesome netbook

That might be true. However, for what the OP wants to do the supplied video chipset should be adequate.

ronmcdon
09-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Go to Best Buy and purchase a reputable system/laptop that suits you.
Plus you can make payments on it.

All the Dell laptops I have used have had something dumb go wrong though. I will most likely never get a Dell again, but that is just personal preference.

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Bronze - dv7-1448dx (http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121849&bid=3381288&cid=0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage. jsp%3FskuId%3D9445718%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218 105504639)

Sincerely, thank you guys for the replies! I cant even express how computer-retarded i am! Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?

THANK YOU!

For the 500-600 range, I think that's about right for the features you'd get.
I'm slightly more impartial to Gateway, Dell, and Asus (had better exp with those than HP).

Agreed with Matej about Best Buy, esp if you're on a more limited budget.

The 6 month zero interest offer works out great for me.
I did the same.
A few months ago I purchased an Asus laptop for 1,200-ish.
Think it's this model, although I recall it was $100 cheaper
Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - G71GX-RX05 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366615&type=product&id=1218092150740)

I just pay it off, paying $200-ish every month for 6 months.
It's convenient not having to front so much $$$ up front.
Just skip their dumb maintenance plans.

All things equal, I would inquire about this option of purchasing a laptop.

Gnnr
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Wait until Windows 7 comes out.

I would NOT recommend a Netbook as a primary PC. For notebooks, I recommend HP (anything from their business line, not their consumer line). Lenovo Thinkpads is the line that was formerly IBM and very good. See the T and R series.

Stay the FUCK away from Dell, and I'm going to say Acer as well as I've had to deal with that POS brand lately too.

TEST the laptops material for quality. How? Grab at the corners and try to flex it. Lots of flex = crap. A laptop is a lot like a cellphone, if it feels cheap you are not going to like it in the long run. You want it to stand up to wear and tear, its going to happen. And make sure the keyboard has a damn Windows key if you're going to be using Windows (biggest annoyance ever!). Check the feel of the trackpad. Check keyboard tactile feedback.

I've bought and sold refurbished HPs, no complaints.

I would not recommend buying anything locally, buy it online. You can still get financing from the companies directly through their outlets. I do recommend trying to find the model you will buy online locally first so that you can see how it feels.

Good luck.

Future240
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Apple...... the end.

A computer illiterate person does not need a mac.

Wait until Windows 7 comes out.

I would NOT recommend a Netbook as a primary PC. For notebooks, I recommend HP (anything from their business line, not their consumer line). Lenovo Thinkpads is the line that was formerly IBM and very good. See the T and R series.

Stay the FUCK away from Dell, and I'm going to say Acer as well as I've had to deal with that POS brand lately too.

TEST the laptops material for quality. How? Grab at the corners and try to flex it. Lots of flex = crap. A laptop is a lot like a cellphone, if it feels cheap you are not going to like it in the long run. You want it to stand up to wear and tear, its going to happen. And make sure the keyboard has a damn Windows key if you're going to be using Windows (biggest annoyance ever!). Check the feel of the trackpad. Check keyboard tactile feedback.

I've bought and sold refurbished HPs, no complaints.

I would not recommend buying anything locally, buy it online. You can still get financing from the companies directly through their outlets. I do recommend trying to find the model you will buy online locally first so that you can see how it feels.

Good luck.

I have a few problems with this post. First off most PC's including the one I posted will give you a Windows 7 upgrade for free. I cannot speak for Dell laptops, but I have owned and know people who have owned Acer Laptops and their prodcuts are good. I am using one of their desktops and monitors at the moment. I've never seen a keyboard without a windows key, and that more than likely would not be an issue anyways.

I do agree on the not using a netbook as a primary computer, not buying locally, (unless it is a best buy), and checking the track pad and keyboard feedback.

chibo
09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Apple...... the end.

:rofl: No.

$999 gets you a basic Macbook... then he needs to buy the overpriced MiniDVI to HDMI cable.
13" screen
2.13GHz
2GB DDR2 Memory
160GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Single Layer DVD RW

That HP is $529
It is:
17" screen
2.2GHz
4GB DDR2 Memory
320GB hard drive
Radeon HD 3200
Dual layer DVD RW

To bring the Apple up to spec just on ram/hdd/cable it comes to $1218. Then you need a dual layer DVD RW. Nothing personal, I am not an Apple fan. Never was, never will.
My only complaint is that the resolution on that HP sucks shit for the size of it (1440 x 900, should be 1920x1200) but then again, I am a screen space whore with dual 24" LCDs that run 1920x1080 each.

adrians_s13
09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I bought this from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago: Asus U81a for $629.99+tax.

If you haven't heard about ASUS, you better ask someone ;) lol

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/asus-u-and-ux-series-notebooks.jpg

Product Features (copied from BestBuy website)

* Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T6500
Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz system bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.1GHz processor speed per core.
* Two high-performance processing cores
To run multiple demanding applications simultaneously without hesitation.
* 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
* 14" WXGA LED-backlit widescreen display
With a 1366 x 768 resolution brings your movies and games to life.
* 320GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics
With shared video memory for powerful graphic performance. Azalia audio chip with built-in Altec Lansing stereo speakers; HDMI output.
* Built-in 1.3-megapixel webcam
Makes it easy to send video mail to family and friends.
* Facial recognition security
Uses the built-in webcam and software to help keep your laptop safe.
* 8-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, miniSD, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo for easy transfer of your digital photos.
* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
* Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
Ensures easy Internet connectivity.
* Weighs 4.7 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For easy portability.

Oh and what it doesn't mention... both 1 VGA and 1 HDMI output

-----
so far, just one complaint, facial recognition still doesn't recognize me (oh and I hate Vista... but it does come with a free Windows 7 Home upgrade once released), but other than that, I love it...

chibo
09-20-2009, 11:26 PM
^^ That display and video 'card' makes me cry :(

ronmcdon
09-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I like the Gateway NV5214u at Best Buy.
Price is good @ $499 for the features.
Only con is that its a bit heavier at almost 7 lbs.

Has the HDMI & Bluetooth out.
# AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-64 dual-core CPU (2.1GHz)
# 15.6-inch screen (1366×768 resolution)
# Vista Home Premium 64-bit
# 4GB DDR2 RAM
# 320GB SATA hard drive
# 802.11b/g/n
# ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics
# Six-cell battery
# 8x DVD burner
# Four USB ports, HDMI, VGA out, card reader
# Weight: 6.82 pounds

http://www.gadgets-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Gateway_NV_Series.jpg

review
Review: Gateway NV5214u 15.6-inch notebook (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/04/review-gateway-nv5214u-156-inch-notebook/)

Gateway - Laptop with AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor - NV5214u (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370441&type=product&id=1218093004316)

chibo
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
What the hell is with these shitty resolutions? I assume it's because they are budget computers and they don't put decent panels in them?

ronmcdon
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah they really are odd-ball resolutions.
My laptop has that same 1366 x 768.
On such a small size screen, I doubt it would matter much.
Honestly don't know how ppl got by using primative 15" VGA monitors back in the day.

I just plug it into a larger monitor and change the resolution to 1600x1200.
Monitors are so cheap nowadays anyhow.
Small keyboards & those mouse touch pad thingies are torture as well.

chibo
09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah they really are odd-ball resolutions.
My laptop has that same 1366 x 768.
On such a small size screen, I doubt it would matter much.
Honestly don't know how ppl got by using primative 15" VGA monitors back in the day.

I just plug it into a larger monitor and change the resolution to 1600x1200.
Monitors are so cheap nowadays anyhow.

People weren't doing as much at one time, nor were there people posting huge pictures on forums all the time. :love:
Resolution is honestly the first thing I look for in laptops/monitors.

ronmcdon
09-21-2009, 12:05 AM

Sorry forgot you posted this.

Funny you asked there was that same discussion a few months back.
Here's the link;
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/258804-anyone-using-lcd-tv-their-computer-monitor.html

I had wanted to do the same, albeit with a more modest 40" 1080p LCD TV.
Actually, I did end up hooking my computer to my brother's 50" 1080 plasma.
Eventually I ended up just getting a 27.5" computer monitor and was happy with that.

The TV would be great for watching movies, tv, and maybe playing PC games.
The thing is, as mentioned prior on this thread buy other posters, the resolution settings for a hdtv @ 1080p is still a good deal lower than your average monitor.
I'm running a slightly higher 1920x1200 resolution on my 27.5" and its absolutely perfect for doing research, writing papers, etc.
It's almost like running a dual monitor setup.

Typing is pretty tiring on a large screen at lower resolution.
Maybe a 40" at 1080p would be fine.
Could be that 50" works out good for you too.
Just make sure your computer's video card supports that resolution.

About the sound system, I just mentioned I have it for myself.
I didn't imply you need something like that.

adrians_s13
09-21-2009, 01:21 AM
^^ That display and video 'card' makes me cry :(

yeah, I know, same here...

but its not like I game with it... I just needed mostly something portable for school.

Future240
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Sorry forgot you posted this.

Funny you asked there was that same discussion a few months back.
Here's the link;
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/258804-anyone-using-lcd-tv-their-computer-monitor.html

I had wanted to do the same, albeit with a more modest 40" 1080p LCD TV.
Actually, I did end up hooking my computer to my brother's 50" 1080 plasma.
Eventually I ended up just getting a 27.5" computer monitor and was happy with that.

The TV would be great for watching movies, tv, and maybe playing PC games.
The thing is, as mentioned prior on this thread buy other posters, the resolution settings for a hdtv @ 1080p is still a good deal lower than your average monitor.
I'm running a slightly higher 1920x1200 resolution on my 27.5" and its absolutely perfect for doing research, writing papers, etc.
It's almost like running a dual monitor setup.

Typing is pretty tiring on a large screen at lower resolution.
Maybe a 40" at 1080p would be fine.
Could be that 50" works out good for you too.
Just make sure your computer's video card supports that resolution.

About the sound system, I just mentioned I have it for myself.
I didn't imply you need something like that.

No offense but you all are acting like these lower resolutions make typing just impossible. For the longest time I was using a 1440x900 monitor and it only got tiring after 4-6 hours of looking at it. Now I am using a 1920X1080 and it is great. (that is what HD tv's run at for those of you who don't know)

If the OP is going to be hooking it up to a TV if its HD he will be fine, I highly doubt he needs these higher resolutions as a basic computer user.

S14_Kouki
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
That might be true. However, for what the OP wants to do the supplied video chipset should be adequate.

What about the new Macbooks Iv heard good things about them I just have not priced them out yet.

Gnnr
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a few problems with this post. First off most PC's including the one I posted will give you a Windows 7 upgrade for free. I cannot speak for Dell laptops, but I have owned and know people who have owned Acer Laptops and their prodcuts are good. I am using one of their desktops and monitors at the moment. I've never seen a keyboard without a windows key, and that more than likely would not be an issue anyways.

Well I'm a tech and I've encountered it in the field. Go look at Toshiba notebooks...if its not missing the windows key they hide it way at the f'n top right corner.

I just got done working on two Acers for a client, not impressed with their quality. One she owned for a year and the built in graphics card took a crap and the other she bought recently had dead keys, we sent that one back since it was still under warranty. They both felt cheap.

Dell just uses very cheap materials and most common problem I've had recently is with their Batteries and AC adapters crapping out.

And what I'm suggesting to the OP is to stay away from Vista.

Also Macs are nice, but Apple is really good with their marketing and has strict control over their distribution so you'll pay a premium. Deals aren't as easy to get.

T_wei
09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
ebay used one... never buy new computers you get raped in every way.. you buy it the price drops 20% once you buy it

SimpleS14
09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
What about the new Macbooks Iv heard good things about them I just have not priced them out yet.

Macbooks use Nvidia video chipsets and so far Nvidia is my favorite, but for the specs you get with a Macbook you can get a similar spec PC at a lower price. Now if you like the styling of the Macbooks, PC makers are starting to make laptops that are comparable to Macbooks, but the pricing is up there as well. Here's one from HP: HP Envy 15 targets Apple MacBook Pro with quality, performance | ZDNet Photo Gallery (http://content.zdnet.com/2346-13615_22-342762.html)

I don't know you're level of computer knowledge, but if it's similar to the OP...just look into getting a PC.

S14_Kouki
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know you're level of computer knowledge, but if it's similar to the OP...just look into getting a PC.

You have way more computer knowledge then me but I do like to stay up to date with technology. So I do my reading around and asking questions lol

chibo
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Read my post above. I wonder. How long it will take until apples are no longer trendy again.

bboyswoosh87
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but im also looking to buy a new computer. To some apples are trend, but when I was looking into buying a laptop and still am by the way found out apples delivers a good product I do not want to start S*** about apples vs pc's because its quite useless. I have done my research on laptops and so far I have Hp, Lenovo T400 or T500 or apple. Right now I'm waiting for Hp's new computer The 15 inch envy to come out because it comes with new Core i7 processor and looks like a replica of the macbook pro's body which kinda bothers me.

ronmcdon
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
No offense but you all are acting like these lower resolutions make typing just impossible. For the longest time I was using a 1440x900 monitor and it only got tiring after 4-6 hours of looking at it. Now I am using a 1920X1080 and it is great. (that is what HD tv's run at for those of you who don't know)

If the OP is going to be hooking it up to a TV if its HD he will be fine, I highly doubt he needs these higher resolutions as a basic computer user.

No offense taken. :)
I'm just mentioning personal observations & preferences.

Typing isn't imposssible, it's just that there is eventual fatigue w/ a larger monitor on slightly lower resolution settings.
imo, its dependan't on the person & duration of use.
That seems to be the case even for yourself.

I tried it, and that was an issue for me after about an hour or so of typing on Word on a 50" plasma hdtv @ 1080 resolution.
Besides that, (speaking for myself) I also like typing close to my desk instead of 10-15 ft away from a wall.

I also did mention the OP should probably try using his 50" and go on from there.
If it works, no need to spend more & it's super-nice.

Future240
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I bet OP is confused as hell now. Lol

sr240noob
09-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I like the Gateway NV5214u at Best Buy.
Price is good @ $499 for the features.
Only con is that its a bit heavier at almost 7 lbs.

Has the HDMI & Bluetooth out.
# AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-64 dual-core CPU (2.1GHz)
# 15.6-inch screen (1366×768 resolution)
# Vista Home Premium 64-bit
# 4GB DDR2 RAM
# 320GB SATA hard drive
# 802.11b/g/n
# ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics
# Six-cell battery
# 8x DVD burner
# Four USB ports, HDMI, VGA out, card reader
# Weight: 6.82 pounds

http://www.gadgets-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Gateway_NV_Series.jpg

review
Review: Gateway NV5214u 15.6-inch notebook (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/04/review-gateway-nv5214u-156-inch-notebook/)

Gateway - Laptop with AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor - NV5214u (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370441&type=product&id=1218093004316)

I just bought this same laptop and for 500 bucks it does everything u can ever want it to plus more unless your a huge gamer.

pignose4life
09-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Well since your a computer idiot i would say get a mac since you won't have any problems messing it up software wise =]
If you do go with mac buy it refurbished its same exact thing as new but a couple hundred bucks off

bl3ujay07
09-22-2009, 02:49 AM
^^^Macs are way over rated!!! 1500 bucks for a mac when you can buy one with pretty much same spec for 500. Have my toshiba for 3 years now. Never crashed nor failed on me yet. Its looks slim and the design design looks way better than any other laptops out there (imo). Bought mines for $1300 (17 inch), for entertainment, (HD DVD player, when it just came out not too long ago), and for programming and such (engineering major). Regret paying 1300 for it, but i love it.

BOROSUN
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
i'm waiting til the Q9000 and T9*00's price drop.

SimpleS14
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Well since your a computer idiot i would say get a mac since you won't have any problems messing it up software wise =]
If you do go with mac buy it refurbished its same exact thing as new but a couple hundred bucks off

Reread his original post, he wants a HDMI port. AFAIK, Macbooks don't have this.

chibo
09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Reread his original post, he wants a HDMI port. AFAIK, Macbooks don't have this.

They don't, they require an extra $19 dongle.

gotta240
09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I bet OP is confused as hell now. Lol

HAHA. Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post! Lol.

Actually, i'm pretty much looking at getting an HP as SIMPLES14 suggest, for around 700 or less. Not sure which model/etc, but so far they seem to fit my needs for a good price. I've also been recomended Toshibas for the same price range.... I wish I could just hand someone 500-700 bucks that i trust and say, bring me a good computer thingy.

I'm not even going to CONSIDER a mac. Too much money for what i need. So lets just check that one off the list now. Lol.

lol. Thanks for all the posts guys.;

Future240
09-25-2009, 12:05 AM
HAHA. Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post! Lol.

Actually, i'm pretty much looking at getting an HP as SIMPLES14 suggest, for around 700 or less. Not sure which model/etc, but so far they seem to fit my needs for a good price. I've also been recomended Toshibas for the same price range.... I wish I could just hand someone 500-700 bucks that i trust and say, bring me a good computer thingy.

I'm not even going to CONSIDER a mac. Too much money for what i need. So lets just check that one off the list now. Lol.

lol. Thanks for all the posts guys.;

Hmm

Whatever computer get, try to meet or exceed these specifications

Operating System (OS) Vista 64 bit, with a free Windows 7 Upgrade
3GBs of Ram
200GB HD (250 if you plan to have a lot of music, photos and movies)
15.4 inch screen
Processor Dual core/core 2 duo 2.0GHZ

gotta240
09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks! Searching now! I'll post up my last "options" when i make a list. Thanks again.

ixfxi
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
you know whats interesting....

it sounds like the primary reason for you needing a laptop isnt because you're on the go, but because you dont have much space to work with in your apartment.

a laptop is ONLY for people who are on the go, individuals who need an actual computer with them everywhere they go.

the problem with using a laptop as a main computer wont be immediate, it will be over time. laptops will lack in the performance catagory, maybe not immediately but over time working on one becomes tiresome. they get hot and theyre overall not as convenient. when you compare a desktop PC to a laptop, a similar desktop PC will have greater potential and also contain less heat. you can service parts much easier and install features like larger heat sink for the cpu or replace/upgrade components at a whim.

if you're set on a laptop, by all means buy a good one and dont cheap out. get it with the longest fucking warranty you can get, because they will get damaged. and when youre up shits creek its nice to have a paddle (warranty), otherwise your laptop will only make a good doorstop.

personally, if you dont need the mobility.. have someone build a nice, slim PC that can be put in a nice corner of your apartment somewhere. nothing better than a nicely build PC.

gotta240
09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually ALWAYS on the go. I spend half my time in one city, and the other half my time 2 hours away. It would be nice to have something i can take with me between places and also use at school.

You say "don't cheap out" which I totally understand in concept. However, knowing so little about computers, i don't know what "cheap out" is. Its like telling your girlfriend to go buy an alternator but "dont cheap out".

Considering i'm NOT and never will use it for gaming/watching movies, what is your idea of not cheaping out? Is 600-700 on an HP with a 17" screen cheaping out? Do you have specific models or brands which you suggest? Please, no MACS though. Hopefully i'm not coming across as an ass, i really just dont know a damn thing about computers.

SimpleS14
09-25-2009, 04:18 PM
personally, if you dont need the mobility.. have someone build a nice, slim PC that can be put in a nice corner of your apartment somewhere. nothing better than a nicely build PC.

This crossed my mind before when I was chatting with a co-worker and checking out this motherboard: Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Wi-Fi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500022)

It's a good idea, however (IMO) I don't think a built PC would be a good idea for the OP. Unless he has a friend that's willing to build the PC for him and attend to any issues or questions he has. :keke:

DeathMetal
09-25-2009, 07:58 PM
newegg.com

West
09-25-2009, 10:18 PM
http://images.apple.com/macbook/images/overview_hero3_20090828.png
DONE.

Laptops are the best option, even if intended to use at home only.

HDMI serves little use on computers.

MacBooks aren't overpriced. Use one you will agree. Stick with budget laptop and see how long it lasts.

OS X Upgrades cost 29$, not $500 (Windows 7).

Windows = Millions of software options, most are crappy.
Mac = Fewer software options, most are good.

Computer illiterate people DO need macs. If you over think how to fix something on a mac, you failed. Just do what a 5 year old would do and the problem will be fixed.

You want an iPhone.

ixfxi
09-26-2009, 12:34 AM
You say "don't cheap out" which I totally understand in concept. However, knowing so little about computers, i don't know what "cheap out" is. Its like telling your girlfriend to go buy an alternator but "dont cheap out".

Considering i'm NOT and never will use it for gaming/watching movies, what is your idea of not cheaping out? Is 600-700 on an HP with a 17" screen cheaping out? Do you have specific models or brands which you suggest? Please, no MACS though. Hopefully i'm not coming across as an ass, i really just dont know a damn thing about computers.

I understand what youre saying, but "not cheaping out" really does come down to one thing: dollars and cents. when you go to a shop to buy an alternator, its always something like "we have the bosch for 250 dollars, and the chinese brand for 99 with a lifetime warranty" -- oh, entice me more with the lifetime 99 dollar warranty deal. my view is, you'll spend a lifetime changing shitty alternators as opposed to just shelling out for a quality brand like Bosch.

Since you're a n00b (not trying to be a dick, but true).. it MAY be a good idea to (agh) buy a Mac. I mean, honestly.. buy something that is intuitive for YOU to use, thats what a computer was, has, and always should be. Its like a pair of fucking shoes. For some people, NIKE ballerific shoes are mandatory, old schoolers maybe want KSWISS. Everyone is different.

Me, I am a technical person who hates new (sucky) technology. Therefor, I am always hesitant of quote unquote UPGRADES because they seldom do anything than give me headaches. I prefer proven, older software that is reliable and headache free. I just downgraded from Quickbooks 2009 to 2007 for that same exact reason: pointless upgrade.

I could go on and on, but reality is you have to chose something that will have:
a) good build quality
b) meets your budget
c) you enjoy using
d) fairly easy to replace parts (never very easy on laptops), but ram and hdd should be easily accessible.
e) quick and easy repair/return.. hence the importance of local warranty coverage.
f) last, and most important: NO FUCKING CALLS TO INDIA. No offense Indians, but go fuck the corporate motherfuckers who offshore something as crucial as customer support. seriously, go fuck yourselves.

This crossed my mind before when I was chatting with a co-worker and checking out this motherboard:
It's a good idea, however (IMO) I don't think a built PC would be a good idea for the OP. Unless he has a friend that's willing to build the PC for him and attend to any issues or questions he has. :keke:

correct, custom build is only good if you're good at custom building. take the 240 community for example:
a) most are broke
b) most cut corners when it comes to servicing, maintaining their cars
c) most suck at engineering and fail to install a strut tower bar, let alone an sr20det

stay away from custom built unless you have balls and have that engineering knack. dont have a friend help you, he'll eventually get tired of fixing your shit and you'll end up becoming enemies.

edit: most importantly, always buy a good computer that makes watching porn fun. if you cant watch porn, the computer is practically useless. 90% of the computer's function should be on downloading, storing, and playing porn. good luck.

Future240
09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
http://images.apple.com/macbook/images/overview_hero3_20090828.png
DONE.

Laptops are the best option, even if intended to use at home only.

HDMI serves little use on computers.

MacBooks aren't overpriced. Use one you will agree. Stick with budget laptop and see how long it lasts.

OS X Upgrades cost 29$, not $500 (Windows 7).

Windows = Millions of software options, most are crappy.
Mac = Fewer software options, most are good.

Computer illiterate people DO need macs. If you over think how to fix something on a mac, you failed. Just do what a 5 year old would do and the problem will be fixed.

You want an iPhone.

Zomg West made a post.

No, just no. HDMI is great to have on a computer. We didn't offer any budget laptops, we offered him great ones. Most companies are offering Windows 7 for free with purchase of a laptop.

Computer illiterate people DO NOT NEED Macs. PC's are easier to deal with and in the run less expensive than a mac. A 5 year old would tell his parents his computer broke.

I agree on Iphone though, its tits.

gotta240
09-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Haha. Ok, i'm done thinking about it, i'm going to follow future240 and simples14 advice. They actually seem to understand what i'm going for. I'll prob post up again when i have two or three specific models to choose from.

Again, and i repeat, I really appricieate everyones advice, however, PLEASE DONT EVEN POST THE WORD MAC IN THIS THREAD AGAIN. I wont consider one. After a little research, I think i can get what i need in an HP or toshiba for under 800 total(that with wireless keyboard,mouse, free windows upgrade, etc). Buying a mac is wasting my money and time. Not to mention, lots of programs I need to run for work dont work properly on macs (according to the 3 people who have them at work). Thanks.

And on the iphone comment. I got one about 7 months ago. At first i hated it. After getting used to it, I can hardly live without it. I'm literally lost without it. Also, it has saved SO MANY hours with work, school, and directions. LOVE IT

West
09-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Mac

You say you cant live without your iPhone, same will happen with your MAC.

Mac mac mac mac mac.

CrimsonRockett
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Mac.

I've got 3 Mac's(two G4's and one G5, all towers).

Love them.

Mac > everything.

I'm with Mark.

Mac mac mac mac mac.

Future240
09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Haha. Ok, i'm done thinking about it, i'm going to follow future240 and simples14 advice. They actually seem to understand what i'm going for. I'll prob post up again when i have two or three specific models to choose from.

Again, and i repeat, I really appricieate everyones advice, however, PLEASE DONT EVEN POST THE WORD MAC IN THIS THREAD AGAIN. I wont consider one.

Thanks but Mark/West is kind of the owner of Zilvia so I don't think telling him not to say mac is going to work. Hahaha.........

Mac

You say you cant live without your iPhone, same will happen with your MAC.

Mac mac mac mac mac.

I surely cannot live without mine. I am going to try and have the best of both worlds. A PC with Mac OS on dual boot. :bigok:

West
09-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Did I mention Macs hold their resale, CrimsonRockett could sell his G4 (4+ years old) for more than what you say you're going to purchase.

ronmcdon
09-26-2009, 07:43 PM
some ppl just find Macs easier to use, others PC.
there's not too much point in trying to convert someone from one side to the other.
its like a democrat arguing with a republican.

I prefer PC because of the games & music,
My Mac is for video editing & office apps.
It's nice to have both, but I'm probably in the minority here.

ixfxi
09-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Did I mention Macs hold their resale, CrimsonRockett could sell his G4 (4+ years old) for more than what you say you're going to purchase.

can a mac suck my cock? because im not interested unless it has that fine feature.

CrimsonRockett
09-27-2009, 01:33 AM

Not to mention I have all 3 of them packed with all sorts of expensive programs and upgraded HD's(perks of having friends in IT. hah).

can a mac suck my cock? because im not interested unless it has that fine feature.

I think they'll eventually come out with this.

Make billions.

gotta240
10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok.. Think i found my final pick.. It seems reasonably priced and will do everything I need. Does this seem like a decent set-up? For a decent price?

HP - Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - G60-445DX (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9377104&st=hp+laptop&type=product&id=1218094855118)

Thanks again

chibo
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes, that will do what you need.

gotta240
10-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Sorry, Final two....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9377104&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&id=1218094855118

Or this for about 80 more?

HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor - Piano Black - G60-442OM (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9539332&type=product&id=1218121202535)

bl3ujay07
10-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Sister bought a hp like a year after i got mines, just a bit over 3 years now, and it took a major crap on her. My toshiba run non-stop. No crashing and dont get hella hot like other laptops out there.

My older brother bought a hp a year after me, and after 3 days, took it in and traded it for a toshiba. Likes it HELLA more, and it still runs almost like new. I do clean mines with alcohol once a week and vacum from where the fans blow out to get as much dust out as possible. Wait till windows 7 october 22 i believe, unless they are already pre-installed on computers on shelves already. toshiba>hp all day.

SimpleS14
10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Sorry, Final two....

HP - Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - G60-445DX (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9377104&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&id=1218094855118)

Or this for about 80 more?

HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor - Piano Black - G60-442OM (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9539332&type=product&id=1218121202535)

If I had to choose those two, I would go with the first one.

Future240
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
If I had to choose those two, I would go with the first one.

Agreed. Just make sure to do that free Windows 7 offer.