PDA

View Full Version : What I drove tonight..Thinking of jumping ship

twitchy
05-04-2003, 02:20 AM
I drive a stock 1993 240SX SE. It makes 155 horsepower and I did the exhaust so now I think It might make like 158, so well say 160.

My friend drives (and I know these cars are worlds apart) a 2001 Ford (yes, ford) mustang GT. It has a 4.6 liter V8 making 260 horses, and add to that a cobra intake, ford racing competetion cam, ford racing headers, ford racing pulley kit and ford racing chip. He says that has the engine making 320 horsepower. I believe him. As well, he has 4.11 gears in the back, (faster acceleration, lower top speed) a racing clutch, and a ripper shifter.

So tonight he lets me take it for a spin.

Alone.

Dear God help me.

So I get onto the highway and hammer on it in second gear, half expecting the waiting period like in my car before the power comes on. No such luck. I am greeted by a bark from the rear tires, a bit of intervention from the traction assist, and immediate, brutal and almost horrifying throttle response. I actually yelled cause it was scary. I am immediately nailed into the seat to the point of tears, same in third, same in fourth. Then I was going 140 miles an hour and thought I would slow down. Lots of juice left though.Did I mention this thing runs wide open exhaust and sounds like world war 3 on wheels. When you downshift, it sounds like a thunderstorm behind you. I cant describe the sound. I mean, its velvety and gorgeous. and LOUDER THAN HELL

so anyhow...

I stop at a light and some kid in a cavalier goes "probably a V6" to his friend. I stood on the gas for a second. "BRAAAAAAAAAAP-PPPPPPP-PPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!", he jumped out of his seat almost, and a car alarm went off at the beer store we were next to. I mean, damn.

The thing starts pulling at 700 rpms, no waiting at all. redlines at 5500 rpms and you are literally hopeless to get your head off the seat all the way past 150 mph.

Then I get into my 240 after and drive home.

Dont get me wrong, I love my car, and its no slug. But it seems almost silly to upgrade stuff on mine when I drive something like that . I think the best word for that GT is violent. Im thinking I might start saving. Scary thing is it gets better mileage on the highway than me but not at 140 mph though.. Anyone ever drive something that powerful??

ca18guy
05-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Is the first 'fast' car you been in? I suggest you go out and try cars with similar horsepower before you decide that Mustangs are your only hope for a powerful car.

twitchy
05-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Its not my first fast car. But its the fastest one I have ever driven to date.But the....well i guess the word is coolest.

-I drove an RX7 (1996? turbo)

-BMW 330 Xi

-Merecedes 500 S

-Camaro Z28 (1997)

-Firebird Formula (1994)

and the stang would cream them all.

And I wonder if anyone has a 240 done up that would take it too (without NOS and one you could drive every day, you know?)

The reason I mentioned it was that its relatively cheap from the factory (ie you can get the SVT cobra for less than the base model 350Z)

and has a lot of juice.

AKADriver
05-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Acceleration has the tendency to spoil. I've experienced a few cars like that, and while they're a blast at first, it gets boring - seriously. The way that Mustang makes your 240SX feel - the Mustang will feel like that after a while. It's the same predicament motorcycle owners end up with. They learn on a 500-600cc bike, then find themselves quickly wanting a 750, 900, 1000+. There's no challenge to accelerating a car, no learning curve, so you outgrow it even more quickly.

There are plenty of 240SX owners with faster cars than that, by the way.

hookedup240
05-04-2003, 12:07 PM
think about it this way, how much did you pay for your car and how much did your friend pay for his car.

My friend has a 94 5.0 with basic bolt ons and I drive it every once in a while, yes its a lot faster than my car, but he payed 11k for it last year, I bought my car for 4K, with that extra 7k i can make my car a lot faster than his is right now, by getting a swap of some kind.

But anyway back to the mustang, yea its fast, but it handles horribly, plus its a convertible, he has no suspension mods at all and you get above 50mph and you feel like you are going to lose control at any second, the car is so rigid at high speeds its rediculous, my mom's 4100lb SLS handles better than his car.

Personally i would never buy a mustang, because all they are is fast, they look ugly and handle bad.

The reason I mentioned it was that its relatively cheap from the factory (ie you can get the SVT cobra for less than the base model 350Z)

um.. SVT cobra starts at around 34k and the base model 350 starts at 26k so that's about a 8k diff between the 2, I don't see the cobra being cheaper. The highest 350 is about 35k compared to the cobra convertible which is like 40k.

The Mole
05-04-2003, 01:52 PM
umm...you all need to do a lil more reasearch, the 03 cobra by no means handels terribly, all indipendant suspension, split axle, bad ass brake set up! VERY WELL BALANCED CARS (MOTOR & SUSPENSION)

look into them, they will suprise you all

there have been a few around here to wipe up most all cars at some local Auto-X events including some awd cars

NZO
05-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Uh, werent the cobras recalled, or was production just stopped because of defects?

PARAD0X
05-04-2003, 02:23 PM
you think an 03 cobra handles good. how bout this. i met a guy last night who drives a panoz roadster. it gets the whole cobra engine/brake setup and a nice roush treatment, but its handles like its on rail. he was in a parking lot and turned hard at 30 miles an hour with no tire scrub whatsoever. just pure turning. ahh an amazing beast i saw last night.

hookedup240
05-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by The Mole
umm...you all need to do a lil more reasearch, the 03 cobra by no means handels terribly, all indipendant suspension, split axle, bad ass brake set up! VERY WELL BALANCED CARS (MOTOR & SUSPENSION)

look into them, they will suprise you all

there have been a few around here to wipe up most all cars at some local Auto-X events including some awd cars

umm... yourself, read my post i was talking about a 94 and i was comparing it a 240 anyway.

twitchy
05-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver

There are plenty of 240SX owners with faster cars than that, by the way.

I can imagine that. You mentioned the price. He paid 22 grand for his

Yeah obviously more than mine I agree. But if I had to pick betwen a 320 horse stang and a 320 horse 240SX, Id take the ford mustang myself.

If I spent the difference in our respective prices on my car, I would take him no problem, i think. But not between a set of lights, no way in hell. I mean unless you have nos.

I like my car though.

russian
05-04-2003, 04:25 PM
[i]
Personally i would never buy a mustang, because all they are is fast, they look ugly and handle bad.
[/B]

i dont about ugly i think saleens are so ****ing sexy.

logo20
05-04-2003, 05:53 PM
I heard that the split axle brake, the cobra make 390 hp, and weith 3665lbs. I agree with hookedup240, I think mustangs look ugly, and the gt make 260 hp, not very impressive.
the only mustang I would consider buying someday, depending on the fun driving factor is thing:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Ford/2005-Mustang-GT-Coupe-Concept-3.jpg

twitchy
05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by logo20
I heard that the split axle brake, the cobra make 390 hp, and weith 3665lbs. I agree with hookedup240, I think mustangs look ugly, and the gt make 260 hp, not very impressive.
the only mustang I would consider buying someday, depending on the fun driving factor is thing:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Ford/2005-Mustang-GT-Coupe-Concept-3.jpg

if **** did break ford fixes it. The cobra has a warranty for like ten years, and the person who builds the engine signs it. If you think 260 horse isnt impressive (in the GT) you should go for a ride. havent been in a car yet that will hold you into your seat till over 140 miles an hour.

logo20
05-04-2003, 06:35 PM
according to kelley blue book 03 cobra have a 3 year or 36000 miles warranty. I don't really care about being pushed back in a seat from so much power, having a good looking and fun to drive car(not only in straight lane) is more important.

Warwick5s
05-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by twitchy
Yeah obviously more than mine I agree. But if I had to pick betwen a 320 horse stang and a 320 horse 240SX, Id take the ford mustang myself.

why?

Jsquared
05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
that GT will handle like ass (live axle, heavy, etc). and yes, the 03 Cobras are badass, but they are NOT balanced (weight distribution isn't very good), even though they do handle well.

If I spent the difference in our respective prices on my car, I would take him no problem, i think. But not between a set of lights, no way in hell. I mean unless you have nos.

are you that ignorant? get an SR swap, spend $1900 on a turbo kit, and you'll be making as much power to the wheels as that mustang is making at the crank, and you'll be 700 lbs lighter than him. and you'll still have 10 grand to spend on other stuff.

havent been in a car yet that will hold you into your seat till over 140 miles an hour.
has he changed his speedo gear? i doubt you were accelerating like you think you were. if you were really going 140 you'd have been in 5th and in top gear (overdrive) you're going to accelerate enough to push you in your seat. my dad has a Porsche 944 turbo with mild bolt-ons (intake, MAFS, chipset (including higher boost), full exhaust) that would crush that GT (makes similar power but weighs 400-500 lbs less).

Sundi240
05-04-2003, 07:25 PM
But if I had to pick betwen a 320 horse stang and a 320 horse 240SX, Id take the ford mustang myself.

I like my car though.

If the Stang and the 240 both had 320 horse, the 240 would eat the stang alive, considering it weighs around 700lbs less! I drove the 2001 Mustang GT (V6 tho) and it was the biggest POS I've ever seen. It's ugly as a mofo, and it was SO slow. Hopefully the V8 is a lot faster....

As stated above, swap in an SR, get a turbo upgrade and a few other goodies, bringing you into the same price range, and you will absolutely kill the Stang.

Warwick5s
05-04-2003, 07:34 PM
sr? for that kind of price difference, you could have a RB25DET and still come out under.

hookedup240
05-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by logo20
having a good looking and fun to drive car(not only in straight lane) is more important.

Exactly my thoughts

Sanchi
05-04-2003, 08:11 PM
My V6 Maxima gots that much power and trq to boot... a V8 that only pushes 260 :p

The Mole
05-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Sundi240
If the Stang and the 240 both had 320 horse, the 240 would eat the stang alive, considering it weighs around 700lbs less! I drove the 2001 Mustang GT (V6 tho) and it was the biggest POS I've ever seen. It's ugly as a mofo, and it was SO slow. Hopefully the V8 is a lot faster....

As stated above, swap in an SR, get a turbo upgrade and a few other goodies, bringing you into the same price range, and you will absolutely kill the Stang.

Since when did the GT models start coming with V6 engines...? THEY DONT, YOU DROVE A V6

All I'm saying is give gredit where credit is due, and the 03 Cobras deserve it

I drive a 95 SE, and my SR is sitting in the garage, but comon people, they are bad ass cars from the factory

hookedup240
05-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by The Mole
Since when did the GT models start coming with V6 engines...? THEY DONT, YOU DROVE A V6

All I'm saying is give gredit where credit is due, and the 03 Cobras deserve it

I drive a 95 SE, and my SR is sitting in the garage, but comon people, they are bad ass cars from the factory

Yea it deff deserves credit supercharged v8 putting out 390hp. Pretty good numbers. But you can put me down for an Evo instead, for 3/4 of the price. turbo 2.0 271hp awd 0-60 4.7 little faster than the cobra.

rubbersidedown
05-04-2003, 08:25 PM
i'm sorry but going 140mph is nothing impressive. i did 137mph in my bone stock '94 mitsu eclipse gsx. It had 120k miles on it and had no problems going that fast. Granted i wasn't pressed into my seat like i was in a jet fighter but it still did a good job of holding me back. The only reason i didn't go any faster was because i was running out of road. So i guess all i'm trying to say is that its nice that you like mustanges but try not to fall in love with the first powerful car you jump into... unless its a mclaren f1 or something like that. :D

xS1LV1Ax
05-04-2003, 10:05 PM
I feel the same way when i ride in my Friend's Ford lightning. Man, that thing is fast. he took it to the track the first 2 months after having it. With just an intake it ran 13.2. THat was crazy to us. When i ride in the car and he is flooring it, its crazy. Its only in the 500RWHP range tho (as of the dyno results b4 some more mods). The funny thing is that this is that my friends MR2 is faster than this lightning. The lightning just sounds scarier.

the head
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
i really don't like new (89-up) mustang drivers they bother me
they rev at my car all the damn time and all they do is lose
there are exceptions to that rule of course also

you want to feel real power try out an S600, M3, SL55, hell even a last gen (LS-1) F-body or vette all are faster than a tipical ford Mustake

Lightenings though are badass so are cobras i only take issue with V-6's and GT's

twitchy
05-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Warwick5s
why?

That sound is like a drug man. Overhead cam V8 running open exhaust...waaaaaaah!

No i know its faster if the 240 made the same power. The stang is way more muscular looking though, aggressive like.

and girls dig them.

twitchy
05-04-2003, 11:58 PM

yeah the V8 is stupid fast

and there is no GT with a V6

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sanchi
My V6 Maxima gots that much power and trq to boot... a V8 that only pushes 260 :p [/QUOTE

yeah so does my moms maxima

and the GT kills it.

They are the same in torque??

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by rubbersidedown
i'm sorry but going 140mph is nothing impressive. i did 137mph in my bone stock '94 mitsu eclipse gsx. It had 120k miles on it and had no problems going that fast. Granted i wasn't pressed into my seat like i was in a jet fighter but it still did a good job of holding me back. The only reason i didn't go any faster was because i was running out of road. So i guess all i'm trying to say is that its nice that you like mustanges but try not to fall in love with the first powerful car you jump into... unless its a mclaren f1 or something like that. :D

Mmmmm...mclaren....drool

the head
05-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Its not my first fast car. But its the fastest one I have ever driven to date.But the....well i guess the word is coolest.

-I drove an RX7 (1996? turbo)

-BMW 330 Xi

-Merecedes 500 S

-Camaro Z28 (1997)

-Firebird Formula (1994)

and the stang would cream them all.

can these cars beat a GT
RX-7 FD yes

BMW 330 dunno But M3 will hand a mustang it's ass

MB (I assume) S500 is a damn sedan and in the MB world is not powerful but S600 will pace a vette (yes I know from expierence)

LT-1 F-bodies will lose but LS-1 F-bodies will win

final thought
you sir, are stupid and the 240 world would be better without you, sell your car and buy the Ford

Sundi240
05-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Sorry, didn't know the GT's were the V8's only. Anyways, I drove the V6 version at the Ford dealer just for kicks. It was so slow and felt like it would fall apart in a couple years...oh and its ugly.

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by the head
can these cars beat a GT
RX-7 FD yes

BMW 330 dunno But M3 will hand a mustang it's ass

MB (I assume) S500 is a damn sedan and in the MB world is not powerful but S600 will pace a vette (yes I know from expierence)

LT-1 F-bodies will lose but LS-1 F-bodies will win

final thought
you sir, are stupid and the 240 world would be better without you, sell your car and buy the Ford

the RX7 and the GT raced and the GT tied it, literally

the benz is a sedan and it would hand you YOUR ass

the 330 was slow but not REALLY slow

You sir are arrogant. And ignorant too. Ill let you know when I get the stang and well race how about that?? I was just trying to have a little, you know...discussion with people that had something intelligent to say.

Yeh the 240 would be better without me. Your right totally, and better off without assholes like you who think they know everything cause they have more posts than I do.

adey
05-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by AKADriver
Acceleration has the tendency to spoil. I'd say TORQUE has the tendency to spoil. =) Torque isn't just acceleration, it's pull up hill, 5th gear passing (no downshifts), and the ability to squeal tires effortlessly. It's also acceleration. Comparing my 1.8T GTi (~220 ft/lb of torque, you'd better believe it!) to the 240 (~160 ft/lb) is just ridiculous! the GTi has sooooooooo much pull, all the way from 2100 (turbo spooled) up to 5500rpm (turbo runs out of air) the thing just HAULS!

On the other hand, driving both hard through some turns, the 240 is just sooooo much more nimble. It's always on its toes, while the GTi feels like a blundering big-foot. I can't imagine the 'stang feeling any better than a MkIV GTi...

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:23 AM
your right, the handling is great but only cause of the big tires and rims. Strafing the backroads they wont have as much ease as me, although they pull more G's when you are changing direction quickly they tend to be..like...not sure footed

they hide this with the big rubber, and not too well.

the head
05-05-2003, 12:26 AM
I don't care about your posts.
I don't care what you think
And I never said I knew everything

I am just stating the facts

Within my family there are now ten cars
the list is as follows
Vette Dad
S600 Dad
SL55 Dad
911 C2 2003 Mom
CLK 430 Mom
Trans Am WS-6 1999 Mine
1967 Mustang Mine
Nissan 240SX Mine
Rivera Convertable 1983 Unclaimed

I know what i drive and have driven many more if you want to race me OK fine i don't give a **** I have been racing since i was 16 but believe me an S500 will not hand me my ass and neither will you

what was your point again??

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:39 AM
geez, thats gotta be a couple hundred grand worth of cars and you drive what?

Im very impressed at your nice list though.

My point is that you dont have to be rude to people. Like, honestly. This is a freakin chat forum so I dont care that some dudes rents are apparently ridiculously wealthy or whatever. I was trying to get some feedback, like have a conversation you know? Why dont you see my thread called "idiots who like to shoot off at people and flame post here" and I know what I Was in, I drove the damn thing. And all im saying is that if you have a problem with it, who cares, see no one else on here needed to be rude or anything.

Basing that the 500S would take you is this:

You barely caught a GT
I watched the 500S race the GT

the 500S was pullin on the stang by like 100 mph

but yeah im an idiot. So dumb in fact that my entire car was paid for by my school cause they want me to be going there. Yep. Reeeaaaaaaaal stupid.

the head
05-05-2003, 12:46 AM
where does it say i barely cought a GT??
it is an s500 not a 500s
The car that can pace a Vette is the S600 it has 150 or so more in the hp dept and four more pistons
and i don't understand what you are saying on the pulling comment
I buy all of my own cars my parents don't fund my vehicle habit i only buy cars i can afford but i also have no car payments
also what school?

Evil S14
05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
the only reasons i would never own a mustang are

1. why the hell would i want a car everyone and their girlfriends have (yes my gf drives a mustang :o )
2. the overwhelming idea is that the fox body and newer mustang owners are stupid 16-30 year olds who act like assholes (I live in the middle of mustang country Indiana, so i know)
3.since when was running 14.6 with a V8 impressive? id rather have a F body

sure the new cobra is real quick, ill admit that, but i seriously see a mustang of some sort every 5 minutes of my life, i just rather be a select few who have a kouki s14:D

and the whole motorcycle association is completely true, my 600 is getting pretty boring even though it runs mid 11s, i need something in the damn 9s http://www.indycarz.com/forum/images/boring_125.gif

the head
05-05-2003, 01:57 AM
I am from Iowa and number 2 is true here as well but when the F-bodies and DSMs come out the Mustakes get Own3d

Also Twitch if you don't want to be flamed for starting a thread then don't start it i was good with the big wing post I was even good on the mustang post in Chat but when i reached this section i could no longer contain myself

if your gettin a scholarship good for you make sure you keep up your grades to take advantage of it

I on the otherhand am already in college and will be graduating with a masters in two more years so yea i am an idiot because my school didn't "basically pay" for one of my cars oh well

Sanchi
05-05-2003, 06:14 AM

I like my car though.

hehe he said nawzzz!! too much F&F for ya. In part 2 the Mustang gets run over by the big rig.

yeah so does my moms maxima

and the GT kills it.

They are the same in torque??

No the crazy 4.6 liter V8 push out 60 more torque :rolleyes:, Ya with a .5 second faster 0-60 then my 3.5 liter V6 four door sedan 03' MAXIMA im so scared. Your mom drives like a girl. :eek:

rubbersidedown
05-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by the head
I am from Iowa and number 2 is true here as well but when the F-bodies and DSMs come out the Mustakes get Own3d

Also Twitch if you don't want to be flamed for starting a thread then don't start it i was good with the big wing post I was even good on the mustang post in Chat but when i reached this section i could no longer contain myself

if your gettin a scholarship good for you make sure you keep up your grades to take advantage of it

I on the otherhand am already in college and will be graduating with a masters in two more years so yea i am an idiot because my school didn't "basically pay" for one of my cars oh well

I like the comment about the DSMs in the first paragraph. Its 100% true around where i live too. I know i made a comment about my eclipse but i was hopin someone else would bring up DSMs as well. Thanks :D

DarkRaptor42
05-05-2003, 12:17 PM

and has a lot of juice.

WHAT!!!??? A base model 350 starts at 22k! you cant even get a base model v6 stang for that much. Christ you cant even get the svt focus for that much.

twitchy
05-05-2003, 12:20 PM
yeah sorry my bad

I changed my mind anyways. I lost a lot of respect for fords last night.. My friend was drag racing and blew his rear end

Jsquared
05-05-2003, 02:28 PM
THE GT IS NOT FAST. get this through your head. you rode in a modded GT, not a stock one. do you have any idea what you could get for that kind of money? hell you could get a ****ing MkIV Supra for that much money. exhaust, intercooler, boost controller can get you 450HP (crank) easy. if that GT was able to hang with an FD i can guarantee the GT had a good bit of mods done to it vs. a near-stock FD. get a clue.

dave240sx
05-06-2003, 12:37 PM
The 03 cobra isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've said this before and I'm gonna say it again. My friend drives a 02 z28 SS. He's raced 3 03 cobras and beat 3 03 cobra's. Now I know what your thinking...(the crowd screams out) "Of course your friend will win because obviously the cobra drivers couldn't drive at all, and it was just a bunch of young kids that got there daddy to buy it for them so they could look cool".

Two of the cobra's were old muscle car guys in there 40's and 50's that have been driving since they were 16. They could drive and he still beat them. For having 380+(?) HP it's just not all it is cracked up to be IMHO.

-Dave-

RedlineRacer
05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
That sound is like a drug man. Overhead cam V8 running open exhaust...waaaaaaah!

No i know its faster if the 240 made the same power. The stang is way more muscular looking though, aggressive like.

and girls dig them.

Man, I live in the south, and every redneck around drives a Mustang. I get so tired of seeing them, and every redneck, skanky girl wants one. And I want to be able to pick up girls not by my car, just by being myself. Thats gay if you use your car to pick up chicks.

1tsilviabad
05-06-2003, 01:46 PM
you're comparing a STOCK 240 to a worked stang???
Did you think it would compare???????
At least make it even....drive 240 w/ an sr20 in it, with a cam and intake, and downpipe, and big ass front mount and see how you feel, atleast try to make it an equal comparison....

M.Piedlourde
05-06-2003, 02:14 PM
twitchy,

Didn't you JUST buy your 240SX? That's the impression I got when I read one of your first threads, "Did I get ripped off?" about 2 weeks ago (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27267).

If you just bought the car and you're ALREADY thinking of jumping ship, then maybe this isn't the car for you.

Actually, I'd venture to guess that a Mustang GT isn't the car for you either. If it took you all of a month to get tired of your 240SX, why would you believe that a GT will make you any happier?

And a Mustang?? A Mustang. Wow. Geez, c'mon. I don't know about Ontario, but in the States, it seems like EVERY OTHER CAR that passes you on the road is a frigging MUSTANG. What's even worse is that the GTs look pretty much the same as the base models, so you're not going to stand out at all. People like to talk about how "impressive" the Cobras are. Yeah, ok. It's a GT with a blower on it. Amazing. Slap a blower on a C5 Corvette and you'll be just as impressed. A Cobra isn't magical or anything. At least a 240SX has some originality. I very rarely see those cars around town these days.

1tsilviabad
05-06-2003, 04:49 PM
This topic is funny to me now, because I currently drive a 2003 accord coupe v6....on the way home from work after my previous post.....I ended up in a race against a cobra....don't know if it was stock or not....We raced till like 123mph.... I was ahead the whole time....I started before him, but he was greatly catching up the whole time....for a car that has 300+ hp it doesn't show it, my auto accord has 240hp and would not have been that far behind him had we properly raced!!!

MorganS13
05-06-2003, 05:07 PM
this whole thread and most of its responses make me laugh.

Baka Sama
05-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Dont get me wrong, I love my car, and its no slug. But it seems almost silly to upgrade stuff on mine when I drive something like that . I think the best word for that GT is violent. Im thinking I might start saving. Scary thing is it gets better mileage on the highway than me but not at 140 mph though.. Anyone ever drive something that powerful??

ahhh.. I know how you feel. You think thats something? my brother has a v8 rx7! Do you have any idea how stupid fast that car is? And to top it off he hasnt spent more than 6k on the whole thing... There was a time ago I thought about giving up 240's for a flat out speed demon. I drive a 2gen ecplise and if I want to I could make a 12 sec. car with only a few thousand spent. The thing is I like 240's for more than just speed or how quickly I could beat some car at a light. Those things are just perks... How many times have you sat inside a stang and said "hmmm this is just a great driving car..."

P.S. its said the rx7 runs 11's...street legal... 11's damn you!!!

DaveB
05-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by hookedup240
think about it this way, how much did you pay for your car and how much did your friend pay for his car.

My friend has a 94 5.0 with basic bolt ons and I drive it every once in a while, yes its a lot faster than my car, but he payed 11k for it last year, I bought my car for 4K, with that extra 7k i can make my car a lot faster than his is right now, by getting a swap of some kind.

But anyway back to the mustang, yea its fast, but it handles horribly, plus its a convertible, he has no suspension mods at all and you get above 50mph and you feel like you are going to lose control at any second, the car is so rigid at high speeds its rediculous, my mom's 4100lb SLS handles better than his car.

Ouch, talk about some harsh words!;)

mjjstang
05-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I actually do have a v6 2001 mustang and I hate it. It was the worst decision I have ever made. Well now I am looking for a 240 now that I have found out not all jap cars are rice. And by the way With the 35 grand that you save by not buying a cobra, couldnt you spend 3 to get a 240. lets say 7 for suspension and tires wheels brakes and anything else besides engine work. then spend 5 on a sr20 with intercooler and all other parts needed. spend 15 grand on internals and guages and bigger turbo and stuff like that. You would have a much faster and better handling car than the cobra, plus have 5 grand left over for a paint job or a nice wing and a noose to hang yourself. Am I right.

Sundi240
05-15-2003, 10:43 PM
I don't have a 240SX right now, and I was planning on buying a S14, but then I also drove a friend's GT. It was a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0L. 5.0L V8 producing 225hp and 300tq. It weighs in at 2900lbs. It would easily smoke a stock 240, let alone a modified one. And that's stock. Basic power upgrades could hand a modded 240 it's behind. If the Stang is supercharged, it's no contest. Handling-wise, put the same money into the stang's suspension as you do a 240, and they will not be that far apart. I would, however, give the edge to the 240sx.
I also just love the sound of the V8 rumble.

Oh, BTW, the Foxbody 5L stangs (88-92) go for the same price as S13's.

So I don't get flamed, I like both Stangs and 240's. Strange eh? :) Anyways, people like different things. Just go for what you like...

twitchy
05-15-2003, 10:46 PM
I don't have a 240SX right now, and I was planning on buying a S14, but then I also drove a friend's GT. It was a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0L. 5.0L V8 producing 225hp and 300tq. It weighs in at 2900lbs. It would easily smoke a stock 240, let alone a modified one. And that's stock. Basic power upgrades could hand a modded 240 it's behind. If the Stang is supercharged, it's no contest. Handling-wise, put the same money into the stang's suspension as you do a 240, and they will not be that far apart. I would, however, give the edge to the 240sx.
I also just love the sound of the V8 rumble.

Oh, BTW, the Foxbody 5L stangs (88-92) go for the same price as S13's.

So I don't get flamed, I like both Stangs and 240's. Strange eh? :) Anyways, people like different things. Just go for what you like...

I agree Ten Four

where were you 2 weeks ago??

Sundi240
05-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Haha, driving the brand new Mustang's you're talking about. IT WAS THE V6!!! And it sucked ***, I'll admit flat out. It also weighs a hell of a lot more than the older 5L's (88-92). Around 500lbs more! Anyways, I drove my friends 5L GT (88) and jesus christ, that thing is so fast, all he had done to it was high flow cat. I seriously recommend you go drive an older 5L Stang, they are so cheap and so powerful. I know what you mean with the V8 sound! All the difference....

twitchy
05-15-2003, 11:01 PM
yeah I have driven one of those too. Theyre cheap and fast

Honestly I dont like the handling and im not one to spend money on improving a car after i buy it too much. My friend who owns it even says the steering wheel is more like a suggestion box.

I was in a 87 GT 5 liter, 5 speed, he had an exhaust system and intake on it. Very fast. Less kms than my 240 (150) and it was in poor shape. Never seen snow or rain ever. The body was mint but things like the door seals, shocks, windows etc were all in bad shape. Lots of road noise and rude noises from the engine. It needs a new lifter (?) as well.

Very very fast though I agree. I have trouble shifting it quickly since the clutch weighs a tonne and the linkage has arthritis I think.

I like the newer GT better and damn it sounds amazing with no mufflers!

Baka Sama
05-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok I wasnt going to talk about this until I actually did it and showed it off on the boards but here goes...

Over on club240.com, a guy is selling engine swap kits for a 350 chevy into a s13 240sx. If you want v8 power but style and performance of a 240 ..there you go. The best of both worlds. I already contacted the guy and plan on buying the kit as soon as he replys with the price.

Say what you want about it not being right yada yada yada.. You should stick with the same company yada yada yada... But plans are already in the works for my v8 240sx project.

You can also contact him at [email protected]

twitchy
05-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Hmmm, should be neet to see..

They are a nice engine. But if I wanted a 350 I would get a camaro, that was the car I was going to get when I got the 240

Sundi240
05-15-2003, 11:12 PM
To each his own. I plan on getting a 5L and putting a lot into it. I like the foxbody look better than the newer ones. HB is always a plus. Domestics are just known for their cheap, out of the box power.

It will also be funny when the ricer Civics, with an exhaust tip think they can work a Stang. LOL

Baka Sama
05-15-2003, 11:15 PM
To each his own.

masta
05-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Yeah it goes with that saying "There is no replacement for displacement."

If you like torque, domestics are the way to go. I bought my 240 with the attitude that most 86 owners have. That knowing it was not a fast car, but a car I can drive fast in. Unless I get an SR which I do not plan to for a while.

ocshaman
05-16-2003, 01:19 AM
I would like to add to the thoughts on the Mustang. I have a mustang 88 LX with a 5.0, exhaust, cam, gears, and upper and lower control arms. I have heard that they handled decent. I was mistaken. Yes the exhaust sounds nice, for about the first 30 minutes after you own it. Then its not that nice. The flat out power is great, but in order to be able to turn nicely, you have to replace just about the entire rear end, and it would take several thousand dollars. The cars chassis is based off of an 79 Fairmont, the 4 door boat. The Rear upper control arms are set at an angle, so much so that the engineers had to add very soft rubber mounts so that the connection wouldn't rip. The fact that it is based off a 4 door family car just tells you how it handles. The newer ones, that may be a different story.To make it handle it would take a Panhard bar, torque arms, adjustable rear uppers, and rear lowers, coilovers, tubular k members and tubular a arms, subframe connectors. The balance of the car is 47 front 53 rear, but it just doesn't ride. You may laugh, and call me a liar, but my 4000 lb Ford Crown Victoria rides better than my mustang, and if the Vic had buckets, i think it could outdo the stang in turns. I haven't ridden in a 240 yet, but i have a friend that has one, and i will check his out soon. I bought the stang because of all the hype, and thought that it would be a good turning vehicle, and if i found an SVO with a 2.3T engine, then i might use that platform, but in my opinion, mustangs aren't made to turn. 99% of the mustang owner i know talk in 1/4 miles. It seems funny that they mock the imports which from what they is are all ricers for this, but they are the ones that judge a car solely on it. They don't care about corners, they want the car to drive straight. this is another reason the stang is going. Not much focus is given in the mustang world to cornering. Yes there is cornercarvers.com, but they are very selective, and aren't open to newbies. Sorry for the monologue, and i am not intentionally bashing mustang owners, i am one, just stating what i see

just me...

Sundi240
05-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Thx a lot for the reply Ocsh, cause I have not fully made up my mind. I will have to really check out the Stang before I decide on gettin one.

ocshaman
05-16-2003, 01:38 AM
If you have any ?'s about stangs, feel free to ask me, if i can' t help, i can find someone who can. When you go to look at the car, have some stang guys come with you. I can give you MANY sites to look for people to help with. Where are you located? I might know some people who can help you.

twitchy
05-16-2003, 10:28 AM
okay so who agrees....240 grip and style and grace with 5 liter (or the new 4.6 liter SOHC) power is the best alternative??

Im going to start stockpiling parts soon...

sykikchimp
05-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I find it very satisfying when I'm at the track with my 122hp 240, and can pass a 225hp foxbody stang with $4000 in suspension work.

The only Rustang I've ever been passed by at the track is blown 96 cobra, with an SCCA licensed driver with 5 years of track experience. That thing was UNGODLY fast..

I've driven several mustangs over the years... they have their place, and their market niche. the 240 and mustang are COMPLETELY different cars.. comparing them is like comparing apples to banana's.

just a side note, but it is VERY rare to see a punk kid driving an 03' Cobra. they are expensive cars, that require mature drivers to be handled safely. Also don't assume, just because someone is 40-50, and have been turning hobby wrenches for 30 years that they know how to drive. Most mechanics can't drive for ****.

S13Grl
05-16-2003, 02:04 PM
I personally know someone who handed an '03 Cobra it's *** in a S14 KA-T Running some 10psis+.

Twitchy, why a 3-page thread over a GT mustang, dear?

rps13kid
05-16-2003, 04:40 PM
my friend just swaped a rb26 in his 96 240 with a t68 turbo i think...now that car wull fly when he gets it tuned rite....cant wait for a ride in it and i think it will rape most mustangs:D http://home.new.rr.com/kjlindgr/nico1.jpg