PDA

View Full Version : High School Teacher Disciplined For Unusual Creative Writing Assignment

tricky_ab
09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
School Says Teacher Gave Students Inappropriate Assignment (http://www.wmur.com/education/20990241/detail.html)

WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- An English teacher is being closely monitored at Kingswood Regional High School after administrators said she assigned an inappropriate essay topic to her students.

Jack Robertson, superintendent of the Governor Wentworth Regional School District, said the teacher asked students to respond to the question: "If you knocked your brother down, would you urinate in his mouth?"

The question was posed as part of creative writing assignment to a class of about 12 or 13 seniors. Robertson said the question was designed to help motivate students to improve their writing, but he said the teacher lacked good judgment in assigning the question. Administrators found out about the question after a student approached another teacher for help with the assignment. That teacher told the school principal about it.

School officials said the assignment didn't have to do with a book the students were reading. The district said she's a good teacher with a track record of motivating her students. "While on the one hand, I appreciate her interest in trying to get kids to write, there are other topics and there are more appropriate prompts that could create that same kind of interest," Robertson said.

The question had some parents and residents what made the teacher think posing the question was appropriate. Resident Lucille Cloutier said her granddaughter attends the high school. "I think there's some people who feel they can do anything they want to do and say anything they want to say, whether they're teaching young minds or whether they're not," she said.

Robertson said that given the teacher's good record, he never expected something like this to happen.The district said a supervisor is now monitoring the teacher's assignments. Officials said the hope is that she continues to motivate her students in more appropriate ways.http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/WaterDrop062/wsofq0_16033.gif

HyperTek
09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
who the hell would want to read that essay? horrible topic.

jimmytango00
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
sounds like she's a fan of the Golden Shower.

duffman1278
09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that, it seems like a pretty funny topic to write about which for me would be something I would totally write about for an english class in high school, and I hate writing essays.

ChampaignSilviaS14
09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Teacher HAD to be stoned.

zenki.life
09-20-2009, 03:44 AM
sounds like she's a fan of the Golden Shower.

haha was thinkin same thing

ronmcdon
09-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Doesn't seem like it's something worth writing an essay about.

"Yes I would urinate in his mouth. He's an asshole."
"No I wouldn't. It's not lady-like."

Fairly straightforward question that doesn't need too much elaboration.

Matej
09-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Why a brother?
Why specifically in the mouth?
How many people actually knock someone out?
How many people actually think of urinating on someone after knocking them out?
How many people actually go through with it?

Pretty sure I would just turn in a paper that says no.