PDA

View Full Version : Random CEL

Jackass240
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm having Ã*ssues with a random CEL, I'ts a 95 manual shift.
I get the CEL and pull the codes, 34 Knock Sensor and 82 Crank Position Sensor. Then I clear the codes and drive the car. No CEL. Turn car off, then restart, I get the CEL. Pull the codes, 34, 82. Then I clear the codes and start the car. No CEL. Turn car off, then restart, I get the CEL again. Same codes, every other time I clear or start. I'ts getting old and I need to smog my car soon.

DreamN
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Evee think that maybe you should fix the issue rather than just reset the ECU each time? I mean, if they keep coming back, that might just mean there is a problem.

Jackass240
09-16-2009, 10:53 PM
The point is, the ECU error codes don't come back consistantly. I drive to work for 26 miles with no CEL. I start the car to go home and CEL comes on. So I check the codes, then clear them and drive home without the CEL on. The next time I start the car, the CEL is on.

projectRDM
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
The point is, the ECU error codes don't come back consistantly. I drive to work for 26 miles with no CEL. I start the car to go home and CEL comes on. So I check the codes, then clear them and drive home without the CEL on. The next time I start the car, the CEL is on.

Welcome to OBD. The diagnostics uses a 2trip cycle and bases the fault codes on driving conditions, elapsed time, temperature, etc. It may not always see the fault at the exact same time depending on conditions, once stored it has to see it again within a given timeframe before tripping the CEL.

Jackass240
09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
The 2-trip cycle makes sense to me. I was trying to figure out why it would work once and not the second time. I didn't want to just change parts without a valid reason. Thank you.