PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to abandon car projects

chibo
09-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I want to know if this is weird or something but it seems like every few months I get pissed off with my 240 and want to get rid of it, switching to a real DD and just ducking out of the car game... but my car isn't worth enough to buy anything decent if I sell it.

I love bikes, but I can't afford to ride at the track every weekend and build a 240 the way I want. At this point it's either pick up another bike (zx6rr / r6) and go race it two or three times a month at the local track or toss a SR/normal mods into the 240 and live with it. I love bikes, but I also don't want to die railing like I have in the past. Cars are ok, but... blah.

I think I am manic on this car thing - love it, hate it, over and over. FML :hsdance: Generally I go in this cycle until I make a huge change in a week (ie. sell a car, buy another out of nowhere). I'd be cool if I could afford what I want and be done, but that won't be for a while.

brndck
09-14-2009, 01:59 AM
to be honest, it sounds like you need a regular dd in addition to your s-chassis.
anymore, there's no fucking way i could deal with driving my modified s13 coupe around all the time. thats why i have a bone stock s13 hatch to run errands and whatnot.
i would FUCKING HATE life everyday in that uncomfortable, low as shit, loud, hot, (fun) car.

what i find gets me stoked on car life again is modifying small insignificant stuff that has nothing to do with hp or handling.
like sewing together a shift boot, or recovering my door skins, or putting buttons up on my headliner.
little subtle stuff that makes the car that much more MINE.

chibo
09-14-2009, 02:00 AM
I should note that I live in an area where everyone I know is driving newer BMWs/S2000s/350zs/etc, I also come from a family that mostly drives BMW M and P cars. I have major penis envy over them :rofl: I do hate my car and wish I could just bring myself to make payments on a car, but the whole mod thing is there in the back of my head.

BustedS13
09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
i used to have the same problem. it drove me to purchasing a daily driver.
aftermath: the 240's tags expired in 2006.

chibo
09-14-2009, 02:09 AM
What do you waste your time and money on then?

BustedS13
09-14-2009, 02:21 AM
going out, vidya games, and i bought a house about a year ago, so that eats up a lot of time/cash.
neighbor died. might buy his house from the bank, too. rent it out or something. slum lord, g.

ronmcdon
09-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Id just buy or lease a new car that's fun to drive and doesn't need that much tinkering.
keep the 240 as your toy.

speaking for myself, I used to have as much 6 junkers at one time.
it was perpetual $$$ pit & headache.

now I just have a reliable newer, stock evo and my 240sx.
I also 'borrow' cars from friends & family all the time.
It's really nice to spend that same $$$ I would on 'mods' and repairs for a new car payment instead.
life is better.

ManoNegra
09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I've gone nearly a year without touching my cars
then something would ignite a spark and get me going again
a reliable daily is a must but f**k car payments
house, family, investments.... as I get older I realize there are things that come before cars

hOngsterr
09-14-2009, 10:08 AM
yeha,
i had the same feeling,
stupid engine....
lol

exitspeed
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
This is the reason why when I replace the fun of my 240 it'll probably be with a G35 coupe or Sedan. Fun and a good DD.

I've felt like this a couple times lately with my bike build because it just seems like it's never ending.

ryguy
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I feel the same way about my car, and looking back on it it's all things I've done to it. The loud exhaust, the slammed coilovers and super aggressive body kit and that scraped on every bump in the fucking road, all stuff that I thought would be awesome that I got sick of real fuckin quick. It was like a revelation when my front bumper got ripped off by a pothole, now that the body is stock again I love the car again. Next on the list is to get a Flowmaster (or anything non fart can, really) exhaust.

I was ridiculously close to buying a WRX, but now I realized that I can love this 240 without constantly fucking with it.

hOngsterr
09-14-2009, 10:43 AM
This is the reason why when I replace the fun of my 240 it'll probably be with a G35 coupe or Sedan. Fun and a good DD.

I've felt like this a couple times lately with my bike build because it just seems like it's never ending.

go with the coupe
=]

exitspeed
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
go with the coupe
=]

I'd prefer to, but I haz a baby on the way soooo, yeah...

!Zar!
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Get a newer car that is still somewhat sporty, get another bike, get rid of the 240, and never look back.

chibo
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Get a newer car that is still somewhat sporty, get another bike, get rid of the 240, and never look back.

This is what I really want to do, but I hate car payments. :hahano: I've gotten much closer to snapping on that though, and I suspect I will finally do it soon. I want me a nice 330i with some CSL knockoffs and a zx6rr. Done.

Slammed180
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM

You can get roof racks for the coupe can't you?

hOngsterr
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
/\/\/\/\
lol

CrimsonRockett
09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Something that's always said in threads like this.

Get a daily driver.

Never mix together daily drivers with project cars.

I've been SO happy with my two S13's now. The daily and the project.

Sure, I've added a few things to the daily(180sx wheels, coilovers, S14 seats, stereo, speakers, blah blah blah) to make it more comfortable(well, to my liking), but NOTHING to the engine/drivetrain aside from the full tune up I recently gave it and lots of care.

The project just sits around collecting dust(which I'm completely fine with). Work on it whenever I want. Have it sitting in pieces without a care in the world.

Ever since I got my daily, I've noticed the major difference in detail I'm putting into the project as well.

So, just get a daily. It doesn't have to be something brand new off the lot, but at the same time, don't get something ridiculously old that will need lots of maintenance in the future. Try to buy something you can pay in full/cash on the spot rather than buying something off a lot and making payments on it.

Aim for something in the 2000-2005 range?

I was looking into 2002 G20's before coming across my daily S13. Kind of wish I would've got a G20 instead, but low mileage S13's are awesome and I couldn't pass on the deal.

Haha.

Touge Noob S13
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Seriously, some the guys that have these cars must of jumped on the first heap they saw. My 240 is my project car and DD, I have never had the same bs problems that many here have had.

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Funny you say this..

I've been wanting to get a DD forever since I can finally afford it with my job and all. I'd like to get an E30/E36 M3 or whatever for a DD. I'm afraid of wanting to work on the DD once I get one.

:(

I need to find a cheap hobby.

SexPanda
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I drive a subaru. I feel your pain.

Firestorm
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
i got a daily this year, too. last year i was driving my 180 on a daily basis, and that kinda took the fun out of driving it.

but to be honest, i think about selling it anyway. i love my 180, but i've been 5 years in the s-chassis game now and i feel like it's time for a change. so i've been looking into getting a R32 GTR. but on the other hand i feel like i'm not done with the 180, and theres just so much more to do to it. besides, i know it like the back of my hand, and thats what makes it so much fun working on it.

illvialuver
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Have you seen the back seats of the coupe? Plenty big for a kid or two , child seat or not, its big enough until the kid is like 10 or 12.

Sometimes I feel like this with my car but it is very very seldom. Im selling my exhaust because its for a turbo and im na now, and the loudness is makeing me go deff in my left ear. But its more of the fact that I am in need of money.

iROYAL
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
My DD has to be automatic too, I love driving stick shift during the night because there is less traffic but stop signs and stop lights become an annoyance.

lflkajfj12123
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
wah wah wah

my car sucks to daily but its whatever

it still amuses me

Touge Noob S13
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM

I need to find a cheap hobby.

Pokemon, do it.

iROYAL
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Pokemon, do it.

OR

https://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/catalog/ball_cup.jpg

ball in a cup

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Pokemon, do it.

Meh. Maybe I should just save up 100% and get a house.

SexPanda
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
YOU HAVE HAND PAINTED WOODED BALL IN A CUP!!!???

lucky...

DALAZ_68
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
The project just sits around collecting dust(which I'm completely fine with). Work on it whenever I want. Have it sitting in pieces without a care in the world.

aint it just nice...

chibo
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
wah wah wah

my car sucks to daily but its whatever

it still amuses me

I don't care about driving my slammed 240 daily, I just hate the car in general :rofl:
It's problem free, I just don't like it anymore.

ronmcdon
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
think a lot of ppl here mod the 240 to the point where its a terrible daily.
the 240 in itself isn't so bad.

suspension is where a lot of ppl screw up.
idk how some of you ppl can daily drive some slammed car with ultra-stiff springs.
had that breifly & absolutely hated it.
car had no traction and I had drive it around like a sissy to avoid scraping the bumper,
or have the tail threaten to come out all day long.

now I've raised the car to more civil levels,
swapped out the 10k/8k's for 6k/4k's, and could not be happier!!
finally it has some traction and some ability to absorb bumps.
on the street, no longer does every bump feel like a jab to the gut.
my car even does better at autoX, and finally feels predictable.

!Zar!
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't care about driving my slammed 240 daily, I just hate the car in general :rofl:

Euro.

Start of with something fairly cheap like a 97 e320 or a 97 525i.

Then work your way from there.

zenki.life
09-14-2009, 04:58 PM

well there's your answer :duh:

if you dont like it sell it. done and done. you do know some fanboi will buy it.

then just go buy something you will enjoy.

if you dont like it then why are you asking what you should do with it?

robtech
09-14-2009, 05:18 PM
i dont get why so many people complain about stiff coils

i daily mines with about an inch of ground clearance and 10k/8k coils and dont really have problems...none of this feeling like i got punched in the gut thing everyone cries about. dont feel like my ass end is gonna slide out on me at any given moment...i've always driven retarded low cars so i guess i just dont think about the avoiding potholes and speedbumps etc...its just second nature. if you dont like it then fine have fun with you're 4x4 haulin ass over speedbumps but dont cry about how horrible it is...cuz its really not

but back on topic...you just said urself you hate your car...so sell it and get something you like. but if you're gonna have a project it is really important to have a daily. which is why i have 2 cars, a truck, and 2 bikes.

ronmcdon
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
i dont get why so many people complain about stiff coils

i daily mines with about an inch of ground clearance and 10k/8k coils and dont really have problems...none of this feeling like i got punched in the gut thing everyone cries about. dont feel like my ass end is gonna slide out on me at any given moment...i've always driven retarded low cars so i guess i just dont think about the avoiding potholes and speedbumps etc...its just second nature. if you dont like it then fine have fun with you're 4x4 haulin ass over speedbumps but dont cry about how horrible it is...cuz its really not

but back on topic...you just said urself you hate your car...so sell it and get something you like. but if you're gonna have a project it is really important to have a daily. which is why i have 2 cars, a truck, and 2 bikes.

The car & suspension has to be set to be compatible to the driver & the environment.
I can only speak for myself, and make recommendations to do those who voice similar complaints about their 240.

So why do ppl complain about things that might not matter to you?
Because they are not you.

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Euro.

Start of with something fairly cheap like a 97 e320 or a 97 525i.

Then work your way from there.
sort of in that boat at the moment.. looking for an e30 or an e36 :D

I want a nice euro sedan of some sort

SexPanda
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
If you get an E36, dispite the fact they are fantastic cars, do some research. They will all need some parts replaced. They're cheap and easy, but the consequences are terrible if you neglect them. Water pump and RSM's are the big thing. If you are going to ever track it, the rear subframe is kinda weak, as well as the strut towers...

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
If you get an E36, dispite the fact they are fantastic cars, do some research. They will all need some parts replaced. They're cheap and easy, but the consequences are terrible if you neglect them. Water pump and RSM's are the big thing. If you are going to ever track it, the rear subframe is kinda weak, as well as the strut towers...
lol.. this is pretty much my life at the moment. reminds me of when I was looking into getting a 240.. got accounts at every forum possible and read til my eyes bled.

goal atm is to get either an 325is or an m3, clean it up, replace all pertinent parts, and DD it. Probably won't track it 99.999999%.

honestly.. I want an e30 over an e36 but finding one in the first place is damn near impossibly unless its been overly modified. The e30 would get some sort of swap, but whatever, I need to read more.

Garage my 240 and well.. I dont know what to do with it honestly. If I get all wet over this current bmw fetish, then my nissan ways might have to go.

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
1998 Silver BMW 328i 4dr Sports Package (http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/1374736374.html)

eff me.. just posted too..

me want now.. Imma peep it this weekend

SexPanda
09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Thats the thing about BMW's. Its like Nissan, but just a little more expensive. And I've been BMW, Mazda and Subaru... And my one true love is still Nissan's modern(ish) RWD platforms.

!Zar!
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Go euro and never look back.

Though around cali you could find a m3 for close to that price.

druthafoo
09-14-2009, 06:51 PM

I believe it. There was a 95 M3 locally here for just 5 grand. Sigh. I'll keep looking.

chibo
09-14-2009, 10:36 PM
suspension is where a lot of ppl screw up.
idk how some of you ppl can daily drive some slammed car with ultra-stiff springs.
had that breifly & absolutely hated it.
car had no traction and I had drive it around like a sissy to avoid scraping the bumper,
or have the tail threaten to come out all day long.

This is all in the tires on these cars. My car has Stance coilovers and a welded diff, it sucked ass on shitty stock wheels/tires but it's fine with some half-way decent tires. Sure, it'll lift wheels everywhere, but it doesn't hop, skip, or pop with tires that have some form of grip. The tail is also pretty planted, but that's because I have a stock KA, adjustable arms to bring the lengths back to spec, and a PROPER ALIGNMENT. It also does wonderful in the rain, no lie.
well there's your answer :duh:

if you dont like it sell it. done and done. you do know some fanboi will buy it.

then just go buy something you will enjoy.

if you dont like it then why are you asking what you should do with it?

Because it got smashed by some drunk ASU chick, earning it a salvage title and a beyond fucked quarter panel. Every synchro in the trans is dead and the remaining paint is faded. THIS is why I am stuck. The car has a fairly decent amount of money in it, but I only have $2200 in it after insurance paid out a year ago. Still, who wants a fucked up S14? It'll be impossible to get rid of for any amount of money that could be a down payment on something.
http://redreplicant.mylha.com/temp/DSC_0313.jpg
This is the only picture of the quarter, but suffice to say it is a lot worse when you see it in person. It's one of the major reasons I hate this car now. The hood fits like that because the douchenozzle PO put a CF hood on. An OEM lines up great, I just haven't wanted to waste money on cosmetics since the chassis is boned.

I guess my plan was that I'd engine swap the car and it'd be cool, just look like shit until I felt like swapping everything into a clean Kouki shell next year... but I am just getting tired of driving a ratty car around.

An E36 will turn into the same thing as my 240 - coilovers/suspension arms/solid bushings/buckets/etc. To be fair, I'd be happy with a clean E36 M3 with TCK coilovers, catback, m5 clutch/uuc flywheel, short shifter, and wheels - but that is pretty decent money still.

robtech
09-14-2009, 11:40 PM
seriously dude...just suck it up for awhile and keep your eye out for a clean shell and swap it over...sounds like ur bummed for that quater panel shit...OR get some low offset wheels and cover the quarter with wide fenders...cheaper than a new car, cheaper than getting the dent fixed and it'll make you car look badass

325irollin
09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I decided this once I had 3 cars. Still have 3 cars. Trying to sell them... FML

lucky7
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
my car has been sitting on the driveway for the past 4 months. i think i put like 500 miles on it this year, at most. should have never spent the money on the car to begin with. lol.

heres the plan. fix little shit on S14, then sell for [hopefully] $15k. spend $10k on either a E300D (99' ish diesel E class), or mk5 jetta TDI. wheels and coils, but 40+ mpg out of either one. i was contemplating a forester or outback for DD, but i deemed AWD unnecessary. diesel MPG > AWD. the left over $5k would either be blown on a canon 5DMKII and a 24-70 F/2.8L, or spent on college. but then i can have the E30 as my toy. its cheap, and doesnt cost shit to own.

Slammed180
09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I've owned my car for 3 years, and have driven it for 3 months (I drove it for 2 and the GF drove it for 1). Yea, How does that make you feel?

I LUV MY S13
09-15-2009, 09:37 AM
yup one dd

one track car and maybe a bike on the side

exitspeed
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Have you seen the back seats of the coupe? Plenty big for a kid or two , child seat or not, its big enough until the kid is like 10 or 12.

Sometimes I feel like this with my car but it is very very seldom. Im selling my exhaust because its for a turbo and im na now, and the loudness is makeing me go deff in my left ear. But its more of the fact that I am in need of money.

I have seen it but at the time didn't really take note of the size of the back seat (wasn't really on my mind).

I'll have to take another look.

99maxgtr
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
i've sat in the back of a g35 coupe. not for along ass ride but it was surprisingly roomy and comfortable for what it is.

Ben G
09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
to the op i had the same problem as you i just went out bought a daily because lost all motivation for my 240 but as soon as i did that and didnt have to worry about it everyday it picked back up again just cause i can work on it when ever and do what ever i want to it because if its down no big deal

pinkarrowsnow
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I am in the same boat man recently started commuting to school a 20 min drive a hour if i hit traffic i fucking hate my car every day you worry way to much it just is stressful i need a daily so this can be a track only car and id be happy. Dont daily on poweredbymax coilovers either its not fun.

obsolete
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
"Things you own end up owning you" - Tyler Durden

Just saw this part again the other day and had a moment of clarity. So true.

chibo
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
"Things you own end up owning you" - Tyler Durden

Just saw this part again the other day and had a moment of clarity. So true.

Not easy to go live that lifestyle though.
I am in the same boat man recently started commuting to school a 20 min drive a hour if i hit traffic i fucking hate my car every day you worry way to much it just is stressful i need a daily so this can be a track only car and id be happy. Dont daily on poweredbymax coilovers either its not fun.

Track only gets incredibly expensive. $500 for a race weekend on a bike is shoestring, imagine a car budget. Track weekends instead of race weekends still ended up like $180 for 2hr on track (depends on where you are, you Cali guys get $80 dollar full track days from some organizations), $300 for a set of tires every 2 weekends, gas, etc. It added up quick, I miss it though.

WanganRunner
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
A near-stock S-chassis can be a very fun daily.

Anyway, I got around this problem by not driving to work anymore. I take metro now, and I'll never drive to work again if I can avoid it. I sit on the train and watch Top Gear on a netbook every day for an hour.