PDA

View Full Version : Help: Drive Shaft Shop Axle Problems

GTR808
09-13-2009, 04:25 AM
I have a 89 s13 coupe. I just bought a pair of 1000 hp drive shaft shop axles. The holes on hub that is connected to the rear end do not match with those on the axle. I need to drill them out to 10mm, but i need to find a way to pull the hub out. I beleive it is held in by a clip, but i need to know if i can just pull out the hub without disassembling the rear end. Please help. If you have any suggestions or helpful ideas please let me know. Thanx

GSXRJJordan
09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
The hub is held in by 4 bolts (heads are on the inside of the knuckle, facing outward) - you'll need to pound/pull them out as they get stuck in there pretty good with age. Pull the brakes off and axles out and you can get to them all without much of a problem.

Make sure when you're pounding away that it's on the back of the hub, not the spindle itself, so you don't smash your bearings to shit. You'll see what I mean.

GTR808
09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I've heard that they are held in by c-clips but im not sure. IF they are could i just pull them out directly and slide them back in or do i have to disasseble everything?

projectRDM
09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
There is no C-clip on the axle. The output shafts have a C-clip on them where they snap into the differential, but you don't need to remove them unless you're swapping them as well. If so, remove the axle first, then pry it out with a small prybar, they pop loose easily.

Also, why are you removing the hub if you're just replacing the axle? The hub does not need to be touched, just remove the old axle, slide the new one.

g6civcx
09-13-2009, 09:57 PM
II just bought a pair of 1000 hp drive shaft shop axles. The holes on hub that is connected to the rear end do not match with those on the axle.

Stop immediately! Call the Driveshaft Shop. Ask them for their recommendations.

If the error is on their part, they should supply you with new parts for free.

If your car is modded, they can make you custom axles to fit whatever you have.

4x4le
09-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Stop immediately! Call the Driveshaft Shop. Ask them for their recommendations.

If the error is on their part, they should supply you with new parts for free.

If your car is modded, they can make you custom axles to fit whatever you have.

bingo

msglngth

GTR808
09-18-2009, 12:59 AM
i called them they said you have to drill the holes to 10mm. So i have to take the hubsoff. So i can just pry them off right? What about putting them back on? How do i do that? thanks

projectRDM
09-18-2009, 02:38 AM
i called them they said you have to drill the holes to 10mm. So i have to take the hubsoff. So i can just pry them off right? What about putting them back on? How do i do that? thanks

Explain again what you're doing?

The axle slides out of the hub. Done. You will then have four bolts behind the hub that secure it and the bearing assembly to the upright.

Unless you don't know the terminology that's how to remove the hub, but there's nothing that would be drilled on it. Even with new axles or upgraded axles. Essentially, you have no clue what you're talking about. Provide pics if you want help, you're not making any sense.