PDA

View Full Version : Stance Coilover vs Fortune Auto Coilover

Charsiu
09-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey guys, I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't come up with any result after a few searches.

I own a set of Megan, but compare to my Stance coilover I used to own, I still love Stance more, so I am planning to get rid of my Megan and go back to Stance again.
Now I come across to this new Fortune Auto Coilover, and they look pretty tempting, but I couldn't find much detail and feedback about them.

If you have any experience or advise on these coilovers, please let me know which one should I pick.

Stance is a confirm decent coilover and Fortune Auto looks pretty solid too.

The car is a daily driver (s13) and may see 1~2 track days once in a while.

I am not a good driver either, just another 240 lover who seeking for a set of new coilover :)

Hope you guys can give me a bit help, thanks!

zorak
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Wait, you went from Stance to Megan?

Charsiu
09-11-2009, 02:43 AM
I actually went from stock to megan, found a good deal on them.

But compare to the Stance I used to own, I think the Megan is a bit more bouncy and doesn't feel as solid.

But hey XD they weren't that bad for Daily Drive, quite comfortable actually lol

zenki.life
09-11-2009, 02:45 AM
you wrote but compared to my stance i used to own

so you owned stance before????

Charsiu
09-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Yes.

Ok, I own a 240 hatch before, with stance GR+, sold it

bought a s13 coupe, with stock suspension, now have megan coilover installed, and was thinking either buying another set of Stance to replace my Megan or buying the Fortune Auto Coilover.

Sorry if my post was confusing :)

zenki.life
09-11-2009, 02:53 AM
well i know fortune is pretty intense on getting their name out that they are giving a set away. i think this shows that they are probably pretty good but i know there are not reviews on them. what is the purpose for your coilover intention? street use? slamming? track?

that will help you more.

Charsiu
09-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Street use 99%, no slamming is needed, only planning to do track day for fun.

Was thinking about strut and springs but I still like the coilover adjustability and camber plate for front camber adjustment.

I know Stance is a bit rough on bumpy road, but is totally streetable with 8k/6k spring rate. The bouncy feel from Megan is way worse than the roughness from Stance.

The Fortune Auto is 7k/6k, so I think it could be a bit more comfortable for DD purpose.
But wasn't sure about their built quality... like the Megan, I can already tell they can't compare to Stance just by picking them up.

Unfortunately no one around my area has ever own the Fortune Auto Coilover, otherwise I'd like to ask for a test ride...

But Stance is pretty popular in Bay Area :)

zenki.life
09-11-2009, 03:10 AM
yea stance is nice. i really would just stick with them. give up the megans lol. i have megan springs lol(in my moment of weakness)

shoulda just got something else but its sorta hard to fuck up springs as compared to coils, lol.

well seems like the stance would suit you fine

southerncross
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
i have GR+ Pros on my s13 hatch, they are the shit. . . car handles like its on rails with my meager 8" wide wheels. ive ridden on megans in other people's cars. . . no comparison at all, stance for the win.

rage605
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Well Im broke, so if you get the Stance (wish i could too), shoot me a PM and i might take the Megans off your hands

BrokenWhite240
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I recently checked out Fortune and tried bringing up some info..didn't find much. But they seem like a pretty solid coilover.

But I LOVE MY STANCE gr+ pros so I say stance all they wayy!!

KrazyS13
09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Thats the problem with the Fortunes, not a lot of info or reviews out about them, and nobody wants to be the "guinea pig".

GSXRJJordan
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Thats the problem with the Fortunes, not a lot of info or reviews out about them, and nobody wants to be the "guinea pig".

They actually have quite a few people rocking them in the Southeast (I think they're from VA?) with good reviews compared to the competition (which is almost always Stance, since it's the only other decent coilover in that price range).

Anyway, Stance's are totally acceptable, and very popular (which means you can sell them if you upgrade) but from what I've seen of the Fortunes (and their shock dyno posted) they're in the same caliber for sure. I'd say either would be fantastic choices in the ~$1000 price point, which didn't even exist a few years ago!

lightsource
11-13-2009, 04:54 AM
+1 to this thread, I had the same question.

Charsiu
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I will soon doing a review on the comparison of these two coilovers plus Megan and other coilover I've had experience with.

my spring rate is the standard 7k/6k from their factory setting, so I think that will be very useful to other members since I am not running custom spring rate.

I wasn't sponsor by Fortune-Auto, so even if I like them or not in the end, I will try my best to keep my review as honest as possible :)

Coilovers will be installed within 1-2 weeks, on a S13 coupe with no others suspension modification, and non-staggered tires and wheels setup too.

singlecamslam
11-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Stance is what i would choose, they're customer service is great. And make sure you set your preload right, or they will ride like crap.

Charsiu
11-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Stance is what i would choose, they're customer service is great. And make sure you set your preload right, or they will ride like crap.

Yes, Stance is very good compare to all other same price range coilover I've tired. And they get really noisy once you messed with their preload... I used to have a set with their older version camber plate, noisy as hell :(

But their new camber plate is pretty good though, still get some noise sometime.

louisdaboois
11-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Just to chime in on the Fortune auto coilovers. Yah, it's hard to compare Fortune's coilovers with Stance because, frankly Stance has been around for quite a while and many customer feedback has flooded the web metioning great customer service and products. Keep in mind Fortune just recently started selling coilovers, so it'll take a minute for them to get the same rep as Stance.
I've personally helped a handful of friends install their Fortune coilovers on s chassis and non-s chassis. The quality of the coilovers are great and, for the price, they are an amazing ride. In a sense, they set a good medium for entry level coilovers with the weekend racer, and daily commute in mind.
The guys are great to deal with. Imo, they're worth a shot because they're better than megans. trust me. lol

Charsiu
11-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Do you have any experience with them on soft setting for daily drive? On soft setting Stance is still a bit harsh though, but much better than the megan bouncy ride...

sm0611
11-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey man you should definitely rock the fortunes. They are pretty sick

Dousan_PG
11-14-2009, 01:21 AM
is fortune the new "to buy" coilovers?
shits what's next??
haahaha

louisdaboois
11-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Do you have any experience with them on soft setting for daily drive? On soft setting Stance is still a bit harsh though, but much better than the megan bouncy ride...

From my experience, a few clicks past full soft feels like driving a stock, late 90's car. It's comfortable enough to drive back and forth to work and maybe road trip to the beach, lol. To give you a better picture, In my opinion, Fortune's full soft is like 7 clicks away from Megan's full stiff and gets better from there..

is fortune the new "to buy" coilovers?
shits what's next??
haahaha

Lol, it seems that way. :p

804240sex
11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't own a set personally but I've heard nothing but good things about them from people who do. They have the 500 series set on a fully track Evo and they are making podium finishes. For the price you can't beat it.

Charsiu
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
From my experience, a few clicks past full soft feels like driving a stock, late 90's car. It's comfortable enough to drive back and forth to work and maybe road trip to the beach, lol. To give you a better picture, In my opinion, Fortune's full soft is like 7 clicks away from Megan's full stiff and gets better from there..

Lol, it seems that way. :p

Thanks for the share :D
But I am not sure what you mean by full soft is like 7 clicks away from Megan Full stiff, cuz megan stiff setting is terrible, lol, harsh, no travel and firm like rolling on wood, and bouncy around even on smooth surface :(

But I guess what you are saying is they ride solid but still very comfortable?

louisdaboois
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the share :D
But I am not sure what you mean by full soft is like 7 clicks away from Megan Full stiff, cuz megan stiff setting is terrible, lol, harsh, no travel and firm like rolling on wood, and bouncy around even on smooth surface :(

But I guess what you are saying is they ride solid but still very comfortable?

truth, lol. I guess that was a bad example. I tried to paint a better picture, but i guess i failed at it, HA. But yah, exactly what you said, solid but very comforatble. :D

fliprayzin240sx
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't own a set personally but I've heard nothing but good things about them from people who do. They have the 500 series set on a fully track Evo and they are making podium finishes. For the price you can't beat it.

yup yup...thats definitely a reason to buy them...cuz driver skills has absolutely nothing to do with with winning.:rofl:

Wanabe
05-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Not to bring back a dead thread but I'm trying to make this same decision. Any new info in the past couple years, wear issues, stuff like that?

Project S13
05-10-2011, 05:17 PM
x2 any new update / comments on fortune

samgs14
06-06-2011, 03:33 AM
I owned a S13 coupe and had Stance Coilovers on it loved the ride daily driving and once they were on the track they showed there true grit loved them and now I currently have a set on my S14 and love the ride havent had it on the track yet but it is also currently under construction getting a 6.0L chevy drivetrain transformation lol... but without a doubt Id stick with the Stance coilovers!!