PDA

View Full Version : externally adjustable rear koni for s14?

NINJASPY
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I am going with a koni yellow and ground control setup for s14, the rear are not externally adjustable. Many people use eclipse rears on a s13 so they are adjustable by the top strut mounts.
From what I remember rear s13 shocks are a good 5-6inches shorter than s14, so I doubt I can use eclipse models.
I tried asking a retailer about lengths but all they have are part numbers.
any info on similar shock lengths that are externally adjustable?

NINJASPY
09-06-2009, 03:21 PM
anyone like grip?

Homer_Simpson
09-06-2009, 03:43 PM
anyone like grip?
These guys do Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://nissanroadracing.com/vbulletin/index.php).

mbmbmb23
09-07-2009, 04:06 AM
I am going with a koni and ground control setup for s14, the rear are not externally adjustable. Many people use eclipse rears on a s13 so they are adjustable by the top strut mounts.
From what I remember rear s13 shocks are a good 5-6inches shorter than s14, so I doubt I can use eclipse models.
I tried asking a retailer about lengths but all they have are part numbers.
any info on similar shock lengths that are externally adjustable?

Hmm...so the eclipse rears are a direct swap? What year(s) eclipse? Interesting. For an S14 replacement I think R33 rears will bolt up, you might see if Koni has an adjustable for that platform. Not sure if the rear GTR and GTST shocks are different tho.

NINJASPY
09-07-2009, 03:59 PM
yes, from what I read, eclipse rears fit s13 rear. They are 1-2inches shorter and have a 12mm shaft instead of the 10mm for the adjustment screw, so might need to drill out the top hats, valving might be different also.

can't find any info about r33 koni yellows, not sure if they are externally adjustable

OptionZero
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
uh dude

the 8611's are externally adjustable

top and bottom adjusters

NINJASPY
09-10-2009, 06:01 AM
I am going for a koni yellow setup. I wish I could get some 8611's, cant afford 300 per shock, would cost about 2k for full setup. I am looking to spend around 1200.

bigOdom1
09-10-2009, 06:50 AM
i know you want adjustability but to be honest i have not touched the rear on my car in three years. i have the yellows and GC and once i got them the way i liked it they settled nice and i have not changed it. if it is more of a big deal then i suggest saving for the 8611 series instead of the yellows

LigouriRd
09-10-2009, 08:01 AM
You can get the S14 rear koni's rebuilt to be externally adjustable however the total cost is probably close to 8610 or 11s. Some people have used bilstein rear shocks for a 3000gt on the S14 so perhaps you can find something adjustable for that chassis. I already thought about using 3000gt vr-4 shocks but you would need something to drive the electronically controlled suspension which is internal to the body.

NINJASPY
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
now I have megan streets, looking to rebuild with koni's. any ideas?

yudalicious
11-02-2009, 11:10 PM
wow I don't really check zilvia anymore but I posted my s14 koni/gc stuff FS a month ago and just came on here and searched for that thread to lower the price and saw this. you're in luck.
I tried to get Koni USA to convert the yellow rears to externally adjustable about a year ago but they were not able to find a hollow shock rod (in which they can run the adjustment mechanisms I presume) long enough for the S14 rears... so hmm yea you're pretty much stuck with taking the shocks off if you wanna adjust, which isn't so bad the rears are pretty simple to take off. And like LigouriRd said I'm sure you just need to find the sweet spot and probably wouldn't need to adjust it much, only to compensate for the shock wearing out down the road.

Also check out my FS thread I have 90% of what you need to run a koni/gc set up, more details here:

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/280142-fs-s14-koni-gc-setup.html#post3114857

Black R
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow Ty to the op!

I was looking for optionzero's thread on koni install and couldn't remember his user name...
Luckily you got him to reply here