PDA

View Full Version : Applications to modify mp3 music files

ronmcdon
09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
I was wondering if you guys use any particular software to mess around with MP3 music files?
I have 2 questions.

1) When I play music/podcasts/audi0-books, etc,
I like to keep the volume level consistent.

With music, I like arranging my songs in a 'shuffle'.
Nothing is worse than having one song play at the perfect volume,
Then then next song come at ear-deafening blast or barely audible!
Is there anything out there that would allow for me to keep the volume level of my Mp3 sound files consistent?

2) Some of the music files and audio pod-casts I play are more enjoyable with equalizer tweaks.
Is there any way I can modify those files, before I put them on my MP3 player?
For example, add extra bass for oldies, add extra midrange to pod-casts, etc?

I currently use an I-pod for car audio & portable audio.
Those that have an Ipod know how crappy (lack of adjust-ability) the equalizer is.

If anyone knows of any software/apps that allow would address my concerns, please let me know!

TIA!!

TheWolf
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
What you want to do is "normalize". Itunes has a feature built in to do this. It's under preferences.

zenki.life
09-04-2009, 02:17 AM
What you want to do is "normalize". Itunes has a feature built in to do this. It's under preferences.

omg thank you. there are times at work when i curse at that one god damn song that makes my ears bleed

FaLKoN240
09-04-2009, 02:39 AM
I can't even find preferences... maybe cause it's late. LOL.

I use a program called MP3gain to normalize my music, it works pretty decently.

EDIT:

Finally found it, first time the "help" function was useful.

BustedS13
09-04-2009, 02:54 AM
yeah, itunes normalize is pretty much the best thing apple has ever done.

any pc users have a better program for itunes syncing? i absolutely HATE itunes otherwise.
i've been using Songbird for a while now but it's a little iffy. finally gave Winamp the axe. it was a long relationship, but it had to end.

!Zar!
09-04-2009, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I just did: Edit > Preferences and then clicked the Playback tab and checked Sound Check.

omg thank you. there are times at work when i curse at that one god damn song that makes my ears bleed

Yeah, it sucks because I've almost blown my speakers because of one song being whisper quiet then another being hella loud.

zenki.life
09-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Yeah, I just did: Edit > Preferences and then clicked the Playback tab and checked Sound Check.

Yeah, it sucks because I've almost blown my speakers because of one song being whisper quiet then another being hella loud.

you can replace speakers, your ears are another matter entirely haha

TheWolf
09-04-2009, 06:42 AM
heh. i swear it used to have it's own slider to where you could adjust how much it "sound checks" a song.

If your looking for a program outside of itunes to do that to your MP3.. that function is called normalize. Almost any sound editing program will do it. See if soundcheck works enough for you. As for syncing outside of itunes with ipods.. songbird is supposed to be "teh hawtness". glad to hear it isn't everything.

SimpleS14
09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I use Blaze Media Pro

ronmcdon
09-04-2009, 07:20 PM
What are the pros & cons of 'Songbird' ?
I'm willing to try almost anything if means avoiding iTunes.