PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Marvel Entertainment

cserrano86
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Reported by the LA Times

The estimated $4-billion deal would give Disney access to a library of more than 5,000 characters and help it strengthen its appeal to the young male audience. Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's CEO, will work directly with Disney to build and integrate Marvel's properties.

The Walt Disney Co. today announced that it had agreed to acquire comic-book giant Marvel Entertainment, creator of such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man, in a cash-and-stock deal worth an estimated $4 billion.

The acquisition would give Disney access to a library of more than 5,000 characters -- several of whom have inspired major films for other Hollywood studios. Marvel, meanwhile, gains the clout of Disney's ability to take a popular character and make money on it through films, television and licensed merchandise.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," said Disney President and Chief Executive Robert A. Iger.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel, including its more than 5,000 characters. Ike Perlmutter, the comic-book company's chief executive officer, will oversee the properties and work directly with Disney to build and integrate Marvel's properties.

Iger has shown a willingness to make key acquisitions to bolster the company. In 2006, he negotiated a $7.4-billion deal that brought Pixar Animation Studios, the creator of such successful films as "Toy Story" and "Cars," in house.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. That contrasts with Disney's recent successes among young women with such fare as "Hannah Montana" and the Jonas Brothers.

"It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with," Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at "full price."

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26%, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8%, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Coming Soon: Marvel vs Disney. Mickey Mouse, get ready for an ass whoopin'!

Oh and also, rated G Marvel movies.

FaLKoN240
08-31-2009, 09:28 AM
...to me that sounds fucking WEAK.

They're gonna mix like Disney character cameos in movies now.

enkei2k
08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
i can't wait to see marvel vs disney on my PS3! that'll be awesome!

/sarcasm maybe...hah

LeftNutOfGowd
08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo o WHY this is gonna SUCK

Dutchmalmiss
08-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Seriously, what the fuck.

Daniel.
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
As long as Disney stays out of Marvel's hair on the comics and character's intended for mature audiences I'm ok with it.

I still don't really understand this though. Business wise and and character wise, how do each of them really benefit?

Sigh.

Dutchmalmiss
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I still don't really understand this though. Business wise and and character wise, how do each of them really benefit?

Sigh.

Serious, this is like Nissan buying out Jamba Juice or something.

SexPanda
08-31-2009, 11:04 AM
gay.

Mickey mouse is going to be in Iron Man 2 as his quirky sidekick as they rush to save an orphanage from a construction firm wanting to build a minimall.

ThatGuy
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Nothing is going to change.

You guys don't even realise how much Disney actually owns, do you?

Seriously, look it up. See how many of the other companies that disney owns have gotten "softer".

List of assets owned by Disney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney)

Last time I checked, I didn't see Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck in a emotional love story on Lifetime.
Touchstone and Miramax films have put plenty of PG-13 and R rated films.

"Oh no, it's Disney, everything will be Mickey Mouse and hummingbirds now!!"

You guys are overly-paranoid.

It's business, and it's good for both sides.

SexPanda
08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
yeah I know how much disney owns...

and thats why I hate disney.

ThatGuy
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's something else for all you worrysome nay-sayers in here.

Budget for Iron-Man - $140 Million

Budget for POTC 3 - $300 Million

Think about what Stan Lee and Marvel can do if they get Disney Budgets for the new Movies.

Doesn't look so bad anymore, now does it.

No, I did not say Disney Writers, I said Disney Budgets.

Dutchmalmiss
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Alright you win on that note haha. Just as long as I see NOTHING Disney affiliated that would ruin the flow or purity of the comic films, I'm gravy.

cserrano86
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Hugh Jackman: The Ride... Coming 2012 to a Disney resort near you. :keke:

Daniel.
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Here's something else for all you worrysome nay-sayers in here.

Budget for Iron-Man - $140 Million

Budget for POTC 3 - $300 Million

Think about what Stan Lee and Marvel can do if they get Disney Budgets for the new Movies.

Doesn't look so bad anymore, now does it.

No, I did not say Disney Writers, I said Disney Budgets.

Good point, I didn't realize how many other assests Disney owned.

I'll repeat what I said above though, that as long as Disney stays out of what Marvel has been doing with their more mature lines of characters and comics then I'm totally ok with it.

zenki.life
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
one step closer to owning the word......

kandyflip445
08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Kingdom Hearts with Iron Man! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

FaLKoN240
08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm less scared now. Thank you.

kalypso123
08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
this cant be happening... no marvel vs capcom 3

exitspeed
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm with Barry. I don't see this effecting anything other then the dollars put towards the movies.

I'm not worried.

ThatGuy
08-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Why wouldn't there be Marvel vs. Capcom anymore?

I swear, so many people here that have no idea how business works.

Yes, Disney bought the company so that they could change everything and run them into the ground. That makes so much more sense than leaving the things that WORK and MAKE MONEY alone, so that they can reap the benefits.

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

druthafoo
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
$30/share.. omg thats a nice amount.

Imagine if you had marvel shares before the marvel movies came out. I remember that when the first marvel movie came out(I have no idea what it is), shares jumped; now that disney bought marvel. Yeesh.

Can't wait til I can start playing with my money and investments.

cserrano86
08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Why wouldn't there be Marvel vs. Capcom anymore?

I swear, so many people here that have no idea how business works.

Yes, Disney bought the company so that they could change everything and run them into the ground. That makes so much more sense than leaving the things that WORK and MAKE MONEY alone, so that they can reap the benefits.

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

LOL! :trogdor:

ThatGuy
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Ahem.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said the company didn’t plan on interfering much with any of the in-development Marvel movies, using the term “If it ain’t broke.” All of the creative control will remain in the hands of the people who know the Marvel Universe best: the people at Marvel.

Disney’s acquisition does not effect the deals for movies in place at other movie studios, such as Spider-Man and X-Men at 20th Century Fox.

Paramount still holds to rights to distribute up to five Marvel films, including: Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers and possibly one more unannounced film.
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/31/what-the-disneymarvel-deal-means-will-pixar-develop-marvel-superhero-films/

Now, everybody climb into your Spidey pajamas, grab your IronMan sippy cup, and your Hulk pillow, and go sleepy-time. That's it. Nighty night.

s13skank
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Disney ownes a bunch of shit! They suck I know Walt's bitch ass is still frozen

ThatGuy
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Walt is buried in Glendale, Ca. :duh:

Conspiracy theories are annoying.

illvialuver
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
I wanna see a game where you can play as wolverine or your favorite xmen and go around disney land trying to stop terrorist who are dressed up like disney carachters.
This should be good so long as they just own marvel and help with budgets for movies, but if I see this shit in the comic like mickey mouse is the newest member of the xmen, I will never take any kids I have in the future to anything disney. But so far it looks good.

ronmcdon
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Marvel films as of recent have been from boring (spiderman 3), to disastrous (Wolverine).
I'm no fan of Disney, but it should be interesting to see if anything changes.

Not sure if a 'larger budget' is what Marvel needs.
I'd say better scripts would be more of a priority.

Brian
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Disney kicks so much ass.

BustedS13
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
well, there goes the Max lineup.

SimpleS14
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
As long as Disney stays out of Marvel's hair on the comics and character's intended for mature audiences I'm ok with it.

Sigh.

The benefit for Disney is potential ROI and the benefit for Marvel is the funding for projects.

Touge Noob S13
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Exactlly, who would have thought that mixing FF and Disney characters would have worked, this might work out as well.

Matej
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Featuring Zac Efron.

TiNMAN
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
m o n o p o l y

it's a win-win situation

BustedS13
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
i'm so glad i gave up on Marvel and switched to DC.

Vertigo > *

DUFFM4N
08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
I cant wait for the X-Men version of High School Musical

Daniel.
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Featuring Zac Efron.

You just had to go out and say it didn't you?

bardabe
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
im with Duffm4n on this one lol

kingkilburn
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM

That wont happen because Capcom no longer has the rights to make Marvel games. I'm sure Marvel is rethinking that after the re-release of M vs C 2.