PDA

View Full Version : Blind kid develops superpower, wreaks havoc on Verizon, AT&T, and others...

tricky_ab
08-26-2009, 11:04 PM
It's a long (but REALLY interesting read), so I'll only quote some parts:

Like a comic-book villain transformed by a tragic accident, Weigman discovered at an early age that his acute hearing gave him superpowers on the telephone. He could impersonate any voice, memorize phone numbers by the sound of the buttons and decipher the inner workings of a phone system by the frequencies and clicks on a call, which he refers to as "songs." The knowledge enabled him to hack into cellphones, order phone lines disconnected and even tap home phones. "Man, it felt pretty powerful for a little kid," he says. "Anyone said something bad about me, and I'd press a button, and I'd get them."
By 14, Weigman was conning his way through AT&T and Verizon, tricking them into divulging insider information — like supervisor identification numbers and passwords — that gave him full run of the system. If he heard a supervisor's voice once, he could imitate it with eerie precision when calling one of the man's underlings. If he heard someone dialing a number, he could memorize the digits purely by tone. A favorite ploy was to get the name of a telephone technician visiting his house, then impersonate the man on the phone to extract codes and other data from unsuspecting co-workers. Once he called a phone company posing as a girl, saying he needed to verify the identity of a technician who was at "her" door. Convinced, the operator coughed up the technician's company ID number, direct phone line and supervisor — key information that Weigman could later put to nefarious use, like cutting off a rival's phone line.
Weigman became a master of what phreakers call "social engineering" — learning phone-industry jargon and using it to manipulate telecommunications workers. One day, Weigman picked up the phone and dialed AT&T. Two rings, then a voice: "Thanks for calling, this is Byron. How can I help you?"

"How you doing, Byron?" Weigman asked, adopting the tone of an older man, one at ease with his own authority.

"Good," Byron said. "And you?"

"I'm doing all right. My name is William Jones. I'm calling you with AT&T asset protection. I'm actually working on a customer-fraud issue. We need to write out a D order." In a few short sentences, Weigman had appropriated the name, voice and lingo of a real AT&T agent, ordering a rival's phone to be disconnected.

"What's the telephone number?" Byron asked. Weigman rattled off the name and number on his rival's account. Then, to authorize access, he gave Byron the AT&T security-ID code belonging to Jones.

For a moment, the phone filled with the sound of rattling computer keys being struck by expert fingers.

"Looks like it's paid in full," Byron said, puzzled.

"Yeah," Weigman said, "we're looking at a fraud account, sir. We're just going to have to take that out of there."
Weigman's auditory skills had always been central to his exploits, the means by which he manipulated the phone system. Now he gave Lynd a first-hand display of his powers. At one point during the visit, Lynd's cellphone rang. "I can't talk to you right now," the agent told the caller. "I'm out doing something." When he hung up, Weigman turned to him from across the room. "Oh," the kid asked, "is that Billy Smith from Verizon?"

Lynd was stunned. William Smith was a fraud investigator with Verizon who had been working with him on the swatting case. Weigman not only knew all about the man and his role in the investigation, but he had identified Smith simply by hearing his Southern-accented voice on the cellphone — a sound which would have been inaudible to anyone else in the room. Weigman then shocked Lynd again, rattling off the names of a host of investigators working for other phone companies. Matt, it turned out, had spent weeks identifying phone-company employees, gaining their trust and obtaining confidential information about the FBI investigation against him. Even the phone account in his house, he revealed to Lynd, had been opened under the name of a telephone-company investigator. Lynd had rarely seen anything like it — even from cyber gangs who tried to hack into systems at the White House and the FBI. "Weigman flabbergasted me," he later testified.

The Boy Who Heard Too Much : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/29787673/the_boy_who_heard_too_much/print)

SexPanda
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
rofl that kid has a bright future in counter-intelligence.

driven_
08-26-2009, 11:12 PM
kids like that make me say, damn, i wish i hads da supa powahs.

jamg
08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
how is this kid not working for the government right now

ninja_star
08-27-2009, 02:40 AM
read the whole thing, all I can say is wow.

Sucks to hear he got eleven years for what he did.

zenki.life
08-27-2009, 03:27 AM
read the whole thing, all I can say is wow.

Sucks to hear he got eleven years for what he did.

oh shit. now that ends the happy story lol

Future240
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
how is this kid not working for the government right now

Now that the story is out the CIA is probably at his house already.

Driftastic
08-27-2009, 07:42 AM
i work for att lol....

VNG704
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Now that the story is out the CIA is probably at his house already.
...recruiting him!

WanganRunner
08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I've heard of this kid before, pretty insane.

I'm amazed they gave him any time at all, I'd have figured NSA would try to pick him up in some kind of plea deal.

tricky_ab
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Read the whole story (It's really good). Someone with some juice should bail him out and get him working for the US government. He seems to have real valuable skills much like hackers who get hired.

Gnnr
08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
This is a case of being corrupted by power.

It'd be cool if he worked for the NSA, but who knows what kind of trouble that could lead to.

slider2828
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
He probably is working for them right now as we speak... but that is awesome... But kid is blind, so he gots to get like some sorta break for 11 years I mean he unless was trying to steal or kill someone or something, I would think he gets off easy.... Probably in appeals court...

randomxzero
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
That guy is crazy....

BoostSlideWayz
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
deng.. thats so awesome... BUT... what if you have a touch screen like mine ? with no sound to it >:) then he wouldnt even know whats up. but still ive always thought it was cool to be able to impersonate someones voice with precision.

mRclARK1
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Pretty cool...

I'd still rather be able to see than do what he can however.

0wn3r
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
who are these "rivals"?!

!Zar!
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
That's pretty crazy.

Like one of those things you wouldn't believe until you see/experience it.

HalveBlue
08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Catch Me If You Can II

SimpleS14
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
who are these "rivals"?!

Probably people that ticked him off? or maybe guys that are trying to track him down? :confused:

Otto347
08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
11 years is a bit steep............

hotlavaflow
08-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Please, they gave him 11 years then they'll stage his jailhouse stabbing and report him deceased but in actuality he's taken off the grid doing special ops for the gov.

Wake
08-27-2009, 10:10 PM
took the words out of my fingers lol

theres no way the govt is gonna let him slip through their fingers, they will just say hes still in prison and remove him for their own purposes. they will just tell the prisoners and guards that they transfered him. its a federal case anyway so its not like anyone would ask questions.

zylvia213
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
wow impressive super powers

Gnnr
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
who are these "rivals"?!

Other phreakers (phone hackers).

shinmei-2006
08-29-2009, 01:13 AM
cool shit. the first phreaker was supposedly a blind kid who figured out he could whistle a perfect 2600hz