PDA

View Full Version : Mini Coupe Concept

exitspeed
08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Man if this thing was RWD I'd be all over it. I like the looks of it. The extra shape the white roof creates is sort of awkward to me, but I don't see that making it to production.

Rumors have been swirling for months about what BMW would do on August 26, 2009 for its Mini brand. After all, that is the fiftieth anniversary of the public debut of Alec Issigonis' original Mini. With most of the speculation revolving around either a coupe or some kind of cropped windshield speedster, it turns out the reality was somewhere in between. Unlike the original coupe of the Sixties that simply had a fastback replacement for the standard square-back roof, the new MINI Coupé Concept completely replaces everything from the beltline up. The upright windshield that has been part of the Mini look from day one is finally swept back and a truncated roof covers the remaining two seats.

All pretenses of being a four seater has finally been dispensed with for the new coupe. The shape of the roof indicates that should Mini move ahead with production, and it could easily be replaced by a folding fabric unit to create the anticipated speedster model. What's more, dumping the rear seats means Mini could theoretically add a hefty brace back there restoring some of the structural integrity lost in the standard convertible, or perhaps restore some cargo room as compared to the Cabrio. At this point, it's unknown if those B-pillars are are tinted glass or just big solid blind spots, but visually, the lower half of the car remains pretty standard R56 John Cooper Works.

Although we don't have images of the interior yet, it sounds like it's largely standard Mini, although there are two clocks hanging off the sides of the steering column mounted tachometer much like the so-called Openometer in the convertible. One tells time while the other is a stopwatch for recording laps. The MINI Coupé Concept will be shown publicly at the Frankfurt Motor Show next month alongside the production version of the new Crossover.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/3-4-front-1280_opt.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/p90047072_highres.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/p90047094_highres.jpg

More photo's here: Mini Coupe Concept — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/mini-coupe-concept)

blueshark123
08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
The roof reminds me of a miata

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Is there any talk about a AWD system?? Because I saw them testing a AWD mini idk if ppl will want it tho.

Adikt
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
it looks like the car is wearing a hat

drift freaq
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
lol that thing looks funny. I think the Mini is fine the way it is. Do not mess with a already decent design.

British Leyland, and Austin/Morris never messed with the basic body design of the Mini because it sold(they sold Millions of them) and worked. You never saw them making a coupe? They already had a 2 door in the lineup as does BMW.

If BMW, makes that coupe they should just stop calling it a Mini. A lot of car companies have a bad problem with taking a good design and making it worse in the name of change and innovation.
The Mini is pretty iconic in image. BMW should not mess with that anymore than they already have.

zenki.life
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
haha its a mini aston martin!!! so cute

randomxzero
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Idk driving a mini pooper... that smaller roof height can actually add on to how it performs stock...
on the stock mini poopers during corners the top feels like it wants to tip over, its a weird feel..
it would be cool if it did come out, but most likely it wont right?

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
haha its a mini aston martin!!! so cute

damn it, I was going to say it looks like a mini vanquish

K_style
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
i won't be fit in that thing . . .

exitspeed
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Idk driving a mini pooper... that smaller roof height can actually add on to how it performs stock...
on the stock mini poopers during corners the top feels like it wants to tip over, its a weird feel..
it would be cool if it did come out, but most likely it wont right?

No this is more of a "pre-production" concept. The production version probably won't look a whole lo different.

randomxzero
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
No this is more of a "pre-production" concept. The production version probably won't look a whole lo different.

Thank you sir! I learned something new today!

ronmcdon
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd rather Mini play with some of the technical aspects, than the aesthetic.
I just don't see this as all that different.
What is different, looks awkward.

I wish Mini took more design risks.
Maybe a build a completely different roadster from the ground up.
Give it the proper roadster treatment with RWD.
This example just looks like SEMA aftermarket company chopped up an existing Mini.

I will be happy if BMW gave the mini a better engine.
The stock 1.7l (or somewhere that size), is probably the least impressive of the car.
Give it a larger dislplacement 2.0l turbo for performance.
Also offer a turbo-diesel engine, for added fuel consumption model (BMW has the technology).

Regardless, the Mini is a good car for what it is.
Maybe a bit expensive, but it has it's niche appeal.
I wouldn't mind buying a used cooper & use it as the daily.

Flicktitty
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
i won't be fit in that thing . . .
i bet you would.

if the Mini Cooper S was RWD car, i would already have it. I LOVE how they already are but i couldn't imagine how much more fun it would be with it being RWD or even AWD (but that would hurt the weight of the car.

I'm considering a cooper S anyway for a daily.

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I have seen a show that a bwm company has made a couple AWD mini's but dont know if they want to put them in production yet.

zenki.life
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
id rock this shit. its cool. ive always held a (tiny lol) amount of respect for minis.

'specially the supercharged ones. vroom vroom vroom

exitspeed
08-26-2009, 12:02 PM
i bet you would.

if the Mini Cooper S was RWD car, i would already have it. I LOVE how they already are but i couldn't imagine how much more fun it would be with it being RWD or even AWD (but that would hurt the weight of the car.

I'm considering a cooper S anyway for a daily.

You and me iz on the same page of the same book.

RastaS13
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
If it didnt take so much work i would love to take the mini and make it RWD. But it seems like it would be wayyyy too much work. I wanted to do it to the old honda 600. I mean couldnt you take like a single cam ka and drop this in.

zenki.life
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
If it didnt take so much work i would love to take the mini and make it RWD. But it seems like it would be wayyyy too much work. I wanted to do it to the old honda 600. I mean couldnt you take like a single cam ka and drop this in.

do people not realize this is not forza2? where it is not as easy as pressing a button just to make your car go from FWD to RWD? lol.

its to much work in my opinion and usually ends up screwing up the car in function. (thats not always the case though)

Flicktitty
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
You and me iz on the same page of the same book.
yes we iz, long lost brothers? :eek3:

Touge Noob S13
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks like the Daihatsu Copen's cousin.

BustedS13
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/political-pictures-do-not-want-surprised-guy.jpg

RastaS13
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
do people not realize this is not forza2? where it is not as easy as pressing a button just to make your car go from FWD to RWD? lol.

its to much work in my opinion and usually ends up screwing up the car in function. (thats not always the case though)

well i know its not that easy but hey it would be cool if it was pulled off right. The easier alternative would to just drop another honda motor in it. Would still be front wheel drive with no horsepower. lol

Flicktitty
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM

My buddy Jake put a old SBC in a Saturn SC2 2 years ago, he has since parted it out and is doing a LSX in another saturn.

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
There r old school RWD minis with motorcycle engines in them.

theicecreamdan
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Is there any talk about a AWD system?? Because I saw them testing a AWD mini idk if ppl will want it tho.

Have you even driven a mini? There is no need for AWD, that would just make it heavy and its not like it has any traction issues. I don't even think it would drive any differently if it was rear wheel drive either.

They don't really need extra horsepower, they're already quick.

I don't know how I feel about that design, my first thought is that I like it but something doesn't feel right.

silviaguy240
08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
why does everyone want such small wheelbase cars to be rwd?

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Have you even driven a mini? There is no need for AWD, that would just make it heavy and its not like it has any traction issues. I don't even think it would drive any differently if it was rear wheel drive either.

They don't really need extra horsepower, they're already quick.

I don't know how I feel about that design, my first thought is that I like it but something doesn't feel right.

There intentions for AWD is not dry street condition performance. The AWD minis were tested on snow tracks and iced roads/hills and it out did the FWD platform and anyone would know that.

JeremyR
08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
i like it

looks kind of like a shortend, chop top regular mini

the black fender flares make it look sort of agressive. as agressive as a mini is gonna get.

rwd with a turbo or supercharger would be nice, but not gonna happen.

lucky7
08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
like said before, if the cooper S came RWD, i'd have one.