PDA

View Full Version : 700cc engine, 3 cylinder, 2 spark plugs, makes 130 hp (now I have your attention)

onehundredoctane
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
didn't see that anyone else had posted this up already, found it while browsing the net yesterday.

ENJOY!

New 5-Stroke Engine to Boost Efficiency and Reduce Emissions | InventorSpot (http://inventorspot.com/articles/new_5stroke_engine_boost_efficiency_and_reduce_emi ssions_31684)

"Our four stroke engines have been around for a very long time and while many small changes have been made to them over those many years, the basic principal of operation has remained the same. Now, a new engine (http://inventorspot.com/articles/new_5stroke_engine_boost_efficiency_and_reduce_emi ssions_31684#) design that uses an additional stroke may be taking over the number 1 position when it comes to small powerplants.
http://inventorspot.com/files/images/5%20Stroke%203.jpg

Ilmor Engineering is the firm behind the new design and is currently able to get 130 horsepower and 122lb.ft out of the little engine. Considering the total displacement is 700cc, those numbers are fairly impressive. By using a turbocharger (http://inventorspot.com/articles/new_5stroke_engine_boost_efficiency_and_reduce_emi ssions_31684#)and keeping rotating mass at a minimum, the new engine is said to already be at least 5% more efficient that it's four stroke counterparts.
The team is currently working improving the valvetrain design and testing other turbochargers to see if they can improve on the design even more. They also plan on experimenting with different displacements to see if they can reduce the size, and therefore overall weight, in an attempt to make the new engine even more appealing.

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/5%20Stroke%202.jpg

The innovative design uses 3 different cylinders to produce power, but only two of these actually fire. The outside cylinders go through the normal procedure of intake, compression, combustion and exhaust to make their power. The cylinder located in the center however, receives the exhaust gas from one of the outside cylinders and allows it to expand even more, creating power.
The outside cylinders alternate to keep pressure even across the board. The result of this additional step is a torque curve similar to a diesel while still being able to ignite from a spark plug and without the emissions associated with diesel fuel."

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/5%20Stroke.jpg

Does anyone else see the potinteal here? What if they made a V6?

-Matt

ThatGuy
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
You know what would really get people's attention?

If this wasn't just a blatant "Copy - Pasta" from the original site, and if it wasn't posted in the wrong section. Then it would be great to read and discuss.

S14_Kouki
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
^ahahahahahahah^

zenki.life
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
regardless of the OP. cool post. ill be looking foreword to larger engines of these types. i was actually wondering to myself last week why there have not been any more breakthroughs in current engine design and styling. good the see.

chibo
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
We're seeing the same power out of 600cc NA i4's over in the sportbike world... This has a turbo to add to efficiency as well. Basically, it's not detailed enough, it's just throwing 5% out there with no data.

garagelu
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
what the hell does this have to do with the 240sx or even Nissan for that matter. Move this shit to off topic!

S14_Kouki
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
SR's are out 3 cylinders are the new hottness lmao it even has a baby turbo

ixfxi
08-25-2009, 05:23 PM
fuck this geo metro motor............

haha nevermind.

shinmei-2006
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
We're seeing the same power out of 600cc NA i4's over in the sportbike world... This has a turbo to add to efficiency as well. Basically, it's not detailed enough, it's just throwing 5% out there with no data.

those rev to 14k-15k+ and would be able to pull a proper weight around.

chibo
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Higher than that ;), but there are no details for this motor given. For all we know, it revs 20k.

Did I mention the article is vague?

irax
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
If this wasn't just a blatant "Copy - Pasta" from the original sight, and if it wasn't posted in the wrong section. Then it would be great to read and discuss.

it is site not sight, unless its a pun.

BustedS13
08-25-2009, 06:43 PM
eew, no thanks

ThatGuy
08-25-2009, 06:49 PM
it is site not sight, unless its a pun.

You are correct. It was not a pun, just a mere misspelling on my part. Thank you. :bow:

Fixed it.

onehundredoctane
08-26-2009, 05:31 AM
You know what would really get people's attention?

If this wasn't just a blatant "Copy - Pasta" from the original site, and if it wasn't posted in the wrong section. Then it would be great to read and discuss.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, and as far as the copy paste thing goes, I know that some people don't trust links posted on forums because of virus threats, so I figured that would help.

WanganRunner
08-26-2009, 07:01 AM
I'll take one in my NA6, I bet it doesn't weigh much of anything.

lewisfk
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Nice, i will take one and put it in a sports bike! Power to weight ratio, insane!

Driftastic
08-26-2009, 07:54 AM
thats a pretty cool idea and design. Cant wait to see where it goes next. Wonder how it would run on alcohol?

WanganRunner
08-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Nice, i will take one and put it in a sports bike! Power to weight ratio, insane!

Don't sport bikes already make about 130hp from 700cc's?

I think an 09 GSX-R 750 makes like 145hp at the crank, right? And it's naturally aspirated (albeit with 50cc more than this thing)

irax
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM

I think an 09 GSX-R 750 makes like 145hp at the crank, right? And it's naturally aspirated (albeit with 50cc more than this thing)

yeah but what is supposed to be amazing about this engine is that is the torque curve. and I bet you money this engine only revs to like 7k rpm vs the 09 GSX-R which redline starts at 15k rpm. so peak hp of 130 at 4k rpm vs 145 at 12k rpm is a HUGE difference.

Manuelitoohno
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
oh reallyzzzzzzzz?

cool

i can finallly a new motor on my go ped

DALAZ_68
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
thats a pretty cool idea and design. Cant wait to see where it goes next. Wonder how it would run on alcohol?

dude... i run on alcohol all the time...

shinmei-2006
08-26-2009, 04:24 PM

exactly my point

hp = (tq x rpm)/5252

thats what soichiro honda used to his advantage when he was designing his race bikes in the 50s, rev it to hell to pull the most power.

soooo they are using the exhaust stroke as another power stroke and then still once again using the exhaust gas velocity to spool a turbo...pretty cool i think, but dont know how well it would work. at least the exhaust manifold is simple lol.