PDA

View Full Version : KA DOHC replacement issuse

STLTHB13S13
08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
sorry if im a dumbass and am missing something obvious. does anyone have a walkthrough on head removal? i got my DOHC like 90% apart and i was trying to do it without removing the crank pully. do i have to? i pretty much have intake and exhuast out but need to get the timing chain to let go of the cams. removing the tensioner didnt help because lower timing chain pulls down on the upper chain and keeps it to tight to slide chain off.should i just do a chain seperator? let me know because i got the other one off by cutting it. i need assistance please. let me know if there is a shortcut i missed. and i've deffinately been looking for days on how to do it. thanks very much. BTW i got a head off another DOHC engine. im getting it resurfaced. anything else i need to do to make it compatible or is resurfacing fine?

projectRDM
08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Either pull the cam gears off the cams (easiest way) or remove the idler sprocket and lift it up enough so you can lift and rotate one cam off the chain. Either way is pretty easy.

STLTHB13S13
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
How do i remove the gear from the shaft. i put a socket on it and it just turns the whole assembly. thanks

projectRDM
08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
How do i remove the gear from the shaft. i put a socket on it and it just turns the whole assembly. thanks

Seriously man. Look at it. There's a notched section on each cam to fit a 24mm open end wrench. Just behind the first cam tower.