PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Elses College Suffering From Economy Like Mine ?

BoostSlideWayz
08-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey guy's last semester before my auto tech class ended my teacher was talking about how auto tech classes will be slimmed down since economy is so bad in California.. They can't even afford many classes. So this fall semester I looked for whats available and they only have 2 classes for auto tech available and both of witch I've already taken.. Is any of your schools having the same problem ? I'm hoping it doesn't stay this way, Im going nuts not being able to learn more about cars.And Im trying to major in the automotive industry so this is kind of a big set back for me.

I LUV MY S13
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
shit hell yea...classes are available for 20,000 students total when we got 28,000 attending..

ive never seen class rooms so packed before...rooms meant for 50 squeazing in 65-70

Touge Noob S13
08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I got a letter from my college saying I still owe them money because of the increase in tuition that happened recently:down:

BoostSlideWayz
08-21-2009, 07:34 PM
shit hell yea...classes are available for 20,000 students total when we got 28,000 attending..

ive never seen class rooms so packed before...rooms meant for 50 squeazing in 65-70

Yeah i could imagine.. that sucks... this economy needs to get better.. my teacher was telling me how they were laying off so many teachers since they cant afford anything.. and its like.. the government isnt even focusing on the education.. i think its the number 1 think that they should focus on cuz thats what makes the future.. if we dont have school....... its gonna be like that one movie where in the future every ones retarded except that 1 guy in the whole world..... :confused:

YoungGun
08-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Yeah they canceled the first session of summer school yet they're building a new library and renovating all this shit.

Same thing happened to a cal poly here in socal, that actually made the news.

MrMigs
08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah i could imagine.. that sucks... this economy needs to get better.. my teacher was telling me how they were laying off so many teachers since they cant afford anything.. and its like.. the government isnt even focusing on the education.. i think its the number 1 think that they should focus on cuz thats what makes the future.. if we dont have school....... its gonna be like that one movie where in the future every ones retarded except that 1 guy in the whole world..... :confused:

You mean Idiocracy?

kevmeistah21
08-22-2009, 12:18 AM
yea, just got an email from school saying i owe an additional $126 on top of what i already paid for.. I can't go to school until i pay it, even though i already PAID for my damn classes like a month ago..

duffman1278
08-22-2009, 12:20 AM
My school canceled ALL summer courses and raised tuition about an extra 250$. They also took out quite a few classes and they've gotten much more strict in the engineering department in order to get students out, not sure about the other departments though.

HyperTek
08-22-2009, 04:25 AM
dam and i really need to go back to school.. times suck now..

lflkajfj12123
08-22-2009, 05:34 AM
state is giving me more money this semester :)

BoostSlideWayz
08-22-2009, 11:41 AM
state is giving me more money this semester :)

Deng... lucky... ohh hey i have a question... Is it gonna be hard for me to get a grant ??? like... cuz i still have no job and my mothers on dissability.. so that means i qualify right ? I think im gonna try getting a grant for Japanese language class this october but im not sure whats a good place to look for online.. cuz then i can spend this 1500 bucks ive been saving up on the S13.

ronmcdon
08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I go to Santa Monica College to take classes for fun.
It's a pretty expensive endeavor right now,
probably comparable to the cost cal state tuition a few yrs back.

Recently my school increased the cost of units by an additional $26.
Doing 10 units, plus all the misc fees (but before books) would have cost approx $700.
It's still somewhat of a bargain,
but I'd imagine the cost make it difficult for working adults struggling to get a better education.

You kids who attend school full-time (in City College) still have it easy imo.
The work-load isn't too bad unless you're studying something like Calculus or Foreign Languages.
You have no serious debt to pay back, at least not yet.
You still have a HUGE selection of classes.
It's still a lot cheaper than other legit alternatives.
Adults who have day jobs have to contend with night classes only.

Huge class size? Who cares?!!
When and if you go to a 4 yr college, you'll be stuck in auditoriums w/ hundreds of stundents.
You're there pretty much to listen to the lecture & take notes.
The instructor shouldn't have to be there to discipline and/or spoon-feed students.

I will agree it's stupid to spend all that $$$ building needless pretty buildings & infrastructure.
Pretty buildings don't aid learning.
They should fall dead last in priority terms of educational funding.
It also leads me to believe that mis-use of funds is probably more a problem than lack of funds.
would also be interesting to look into the admin costs of running a city college.