PDA

View Full Version : I just got an odd call about my car for sale.

thisisastickup
08-21-2009, 05:57 PM
So I have my '71 510 for sale. I just got a call from a woman with a voice so odd I thought it was a prank. she said she was calling for a customer of hers, and she asked me a bunch of questions about the car. questions like how's the interior, how does it run, stuff like that. she took my name and said that I might recieve a call from her customer if he is interested.

has anyone else got a call like this when selling a car? I wasn't aware that companies like this existed, I thought that people weren't lazy enough to pay someone to look for a car for them.

PANGES
08-21-2009, 05:59 PM
That's usually a scam. I used to get emails like that all the time when I tried selling my car on craigslist.org... "My client is very interested in the car... blah blah blah"

cliffsnotes: Highly likely that it's a scam. Stay away.

thisisastickup
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
out of curiosity, how would this scam work?

If I get a call from some guy about it saying he was the person they worked for, should I tell him to fuck off even if he comes with cash in hand?

PANGES
08-21-2009, 06:11 PM
out of curiosity, how would this scam work?

If I get a call from some guy about it saying he was the person they worked for, should I tell him to fuck off even if he comes with cash in hand?

Honestly, I have no idea. When mine did it, it was the usual scam where their client was out of the country and would send u a check, which was more than the cost of the car, which would cover the shipping costs, etc etc. Then you're supposed to refund them the remaining balance and u later get fucked by ur bank. lol.

If they come with cash in hand, then do it! lol.

carlosncdi
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I have had this happen to me. Guy came over and look at the car test drove it and then said that he would let his client know and would give me a call back in a couple of days. About 3 days later he gives me a call and the client wanted the car. Next day comes over cash in hand and done deal. No scams. No problems.

ninja_star
08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
if they email you = scam

if they take there time to call you = somewhat legit

if they go to your house and test drive = better

cash in hand = not a scam

just dont accept a check
DONE.

DreamN
08-21-2009, 06:36 PM
The emails are typically a scams because a check and/or money transfer is almost always involved.

Someone calling you and getting some quick basic questions answered about your car for someone else that may be interested is not a scam. There are folks who simply ask others to keep an eye out for such and such car. It's not that people are lazy, it's that they're to busy.

thisisastickup
08-21-2009, 06:36 PM
this is what I figured. I'll only accept a check if I cash it before i let go of the car.

PANGES
08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
if they email you = scam

if they take there time to call you = somewhat legit

if they go to your house and test drive = better

cash in hand = not a scam

just dont accept a check
DONE.

That's basically it. Cash = done deal. Don't take checks/money orders unless u can cash it all in before u sign anything over.

/thread.

blackrms13
08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
this is what I figured. I'll only accept a check if I cash it before i let go of the car.
no, you can go to a bank and cash it, but it might still not be legit
because the actual check dont get processed till like 2 weeks later
thats when u get fucked over and lose the money

take cash or go to the bank with the buyer and get the cashier check together, and make sure he/she dont "swap" it out for a fake one when ur not paying attention

ryguy
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
That's basically it. Cash = done deal. Don't take checks/money orders unless u can cash it all in before u sign anything over.

/thread.

No, when the check doesn't clear they'll come after you for the money, and then you're out a car. Besides, why would you not just go with them to the bank to withdraw the actual cash?

ayuaddict
08-22-2009, 12:18 AM
if they come with a check get a signed "contract" stating the whole deal on paper.

make sure to check their IDs as well.

i personally always match IDs with titles when i buy cars.

if you get fucked, present the written paperwork, take them to court, sue them and get your car back.

that is, if you want to go through the hassle.

slowpo
08-22-2009, 04:20 AM
if the lady call you again ask her for her phone num and then pm with the info...
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/234199-playing-nigerian-scammer-good-read.html good times i miss that

zenki.life
08-22-2009, 04:24 AM
when i was still learning about 240s i had my friend go to check out cars for me. its because the initial person was knowledgeable. i now help friends buy cars too. then they check them out after. just dont take checks or wires. thats just stupid

!Zar!
08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I had a lady who's mechanic called me over a car she was interested in.

Wasn't anything fishy with my experience.

zenki.life
08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
i just had the misfortune of reading that messing with a Nigerian scammer thread. so bored and useless

silviaguy240
08-22-2009, 08:18 PM
i just hate these middle man companies that call to inquire in you paying $20 or w/e for a month of advertising throught their agency.

brewster240
08-22-2009, 09:44 PM
more info on the 510?

Souljahzs13
08-22-2009, 09:56 PM
^^^ yes more info...

Bubbles
08-23-2009, 08:59 AM
tell him to fuck off even if he comes with cash in hand?

Surely, the best of all options.

BoostSlideWayz
08-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Well.... i personally never heard of that.. but keep it safe.. cuz one time.. when i was selling the 55 GMC a guy came and we negotiated a price and every thing and hes like " ill take it" so he said he was gonna tow it.. but he said he still had to get the money.. so like... he never contacted us, but LATE at night like probly 12 or somthing.. a tow truck kept driving past our house.. it was almost like he was trying to just steel it or somthing. idk.. if your car is in front of your house just keep an eye on it.

ixfxi
08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
yep... never invite people to your home when your selling a car, meet them at a gas station or nearby spot.

as for money, its either cash or wire. check is bullshit, even cashiers check. like the wu says, cash rules. wire is great, make them work, make them pay the fees, and you get nothing but a fully protected money transfer.

don_bagz
08-23-2009, 12:43 PM
i got a call like that when i was selling my pool table.. it was because the guy that was wanting to get my table was mute.. so, someone else had to call for it..

zenki.life
08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
i got a call like that when i was selling my pool table.. it was because the guy that was wanting to get my table was mute.. so, someone else had to call for it..

uh yes i would understand that. if the guy cant talk how could he call you lol