PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS 250

japslapsilvia
08-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Anyone own one? im looking to get into something a little more mature as far as cars go. my current DD is a 01 civic, dropped, rims, I/E/H etc. so im getting older and need somthign a little more comfy and stylish, and not overly expensive. i test drove one yesterday, drives nice...love the paddle shifters..and price is not too bad.

looking for some pros/cons and personal thoughts about the car...and possible recomendations for other similar cars. w/in the $30-35K range

Thanks!

WanganRunner
08-20-2009, 08:17 AM
I thought the IS250 was an embarassment considering that the G37 sedan is the same price. Looks nice, but I couldn't find anything else I liked about it considering how strong the competition is.

Look at a Genesis too. I drove my neighbors V6 Genesis and it's fantastic. Get the KDM "wing" badging for it though, the USDM badging with the huge Hyundai logo is ugly.

K_style
08-20-2009, 08:20 AM
I would get G sedan over IS...

felt more bigger inside than IS

Look at a Genesis too. I drove my neighbors V6 Genesis and it's fantastic. Get the KDM "wing" badging for it though, the USDM badging with the huge Hyundai logo is ugly.

Genesis = :bowdown:

awesome car..

krazyfil
08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Audi... im actually getting a new a4 hopefully here in a month or so... im hard in my pants for the audi lol

japslapsilvia
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I think i will go check out a G-37 today. i looked on-line and they are about $34-37ish and make gobs more power than the IS

nismo 240sx
08-20-2009, 08:56 AM
for that price you can get your self a nice used M35 fully loaded!!!

krazyfil
08-20-2009, 09:07 AM
i think its funny how he says he is wanting something more refined and mature... yet all he said was oooh horsepower haha

but i knew someone who worked for lexus in my last auto class and they said the is250 was really nice... then he drove the isF and he said never again would he volunteer to drive anything other than that lol... but if i were u i would go to www.edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com) and look at the reviews others have left on that car... they are actually really helpful, especially on maintenance and other pros and cons... hoped this helped

japslapsilvia
08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
i think its funny how he says he is wanting something more refined and mature... yet all he said was oooh horsepower haha

hey now...nothing wrong with wanting to have a more mature and refined car and still want power....lol

thanks ill check edmunds.

murda-c
08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
The Audi A4 is really nice

japslapsilvia
08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
i just compared the IS and G-sedan. and really the only plus on the G is HP. and TQ. standard features on the IS are greater and still come out cheaper. i do like the 7A on the G. But for the price i can get the IS fully loaded with DVD NAVI. etc.

The Audi A4 is really nice

those are nice...BUT i would prefer a FR platform.

oh and NO used cars....

S14_Kouki
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
how about a new BMW they look badass and im sure they r plenty fast for a stock car.

EDT007
08-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I personally have a 08' IS250 as a DD. Can't say enough positive things about it. Looks nicer than the G37 sedan IMO. Inside is spacious, get's pretty good gas mileage. Mine is fully loaded and got it for a tad under $40k but it's a lease so. I say drive both and see which one you like better. I think you'll be happy with either choice. Goodluck!

VROOOM
08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
i just cant see spending almost 40k and getting 200hp.

Om1kron
08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I would get G sedan over IS...
awesome car..

g35 sedan = 300hp 30+K
is250 = 240hp 30+K

they're boring really in my opinion. my roommate owns the stick shift one. and my x wife had the auto when we were together. besides the cool keyless entry features the car isn't that special.

VROOOM
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Im pretty sure the IS250 has 204hp.

Om1kron
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Im pretty sure the IS250 has 204hp.

the is300 had 204 hp, they bumped up the 250 a tad since the 300 drove like a honda accord with nice exterior.

driftsilvias13
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I personally own a IS250 and have since Feb 06'. As a daily driver its great. I feel the interior quality is much nicer in the IS250 than the G37 and has a lot more features. Yes the power isnt crazy but it does pick up when you step on it. ITS A DAILY. I avrg 30mpg and about 410miles per tank so no complaints there. Its damn reliable too, havent had any problems. Oh and ever dealt with Lexus Customer Service? It is honestly the best. The ONLY complaint I have on this car is the trunk space isnt the best but if you dont plan on hauling big items its a GREAT car.

VROOOM
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
the is300 had 204 hp, they bumped up the 250 a tad since the 300 drove like a honda accord with nice exterior.

"If you wish to row your own, the lesser IS250 is your only choice. It starts at a more obtainable $30,580 and comes standard with a six-speed manual (the automatic is an $1170 option). And it needs it—this lesser 2.5-liter V-6 makes 204 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque at a lofty 4800 rpm. Math geniuses can tell you that's 102 fewer horses than the IS350."

ronmcdon
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Got to test drive an IS250 & IS350 a few years back.
Honestly I think the car is built for a particular type of driver.
It's comfortable, very quiet, drives smooth, has decent room, has a nice interior, quality of materials is nice but not quite the caliber of Audi & BMW.
I recall the sound system and navi were a pleasing experience.
Obviously Lexus is renowned for their immaculate dealer service.
It's a really practical and comfy car to own.

However, it's also no fun at all to drive, esp if it's an IS250 w/ auto tranny.
The car just isn't communicative.
Steering, ride, throttle, brakes don't give the best feedback.
It performs decent enough, save for lack of power (imo) on the IS250.
I get the impression that the car was designed more for comfort at the expense of feedback.
It feels almost as if it were an old man's car.
Come to think of it, that is more or less Lexus' existing approach within their US lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I think the IS is a good car.
It does what it sets out to do well.
I just think Lexus needs to improve it's quality of interior materials.
The interior plastics, wood trim, leather, etc feel a bit cheap relative to it's German competitors.
Otherwise it's a solid choice for what it offers.

Now if you're looking for more of a sporty ride, then there are better choices out there imo.
Imo, the BMW 3 series till this day can't be touched in the 30k luxury compact level.
The G37, Audi A3, BMW 1-series are also among my favorites.

!Zar!
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Blah blah blah 06 e55.

Step up.

ixfxi
08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Got to test drive an IS250 & IS350 a few years back.
Honestly I think the car is built for a particular type of driver.
It's comfortable, very quiet, drives smooth, has decent room, has a nice interior, quality of materials is nice but not quite the caliber of Audi & BMW.
I recall the sound system and navi were a pleasing experience.
Obviously Lexus is renowned for their immaculate dealer service.
It's a really practical and comfy car to own.

However, it's also no fun at all to drive, esp if it's an IS250 w/ auto tranny.
The car just isn't communicative.
Steering, ride, throttle, brakes don't give the best feedback.
It performs decent enough, save for lack of power (imo) on the IS250.
I get the impression that the car was designed more for comfort at the expense of feedback.
It feels almost as if it were an old man's car.
Come to think of it, that is more or less Lexus' existing approach within their US lineup.

yes, that *type* of driver is a man with a vagina... perfect for todays modern day man who drinks his espresso on the way to work, droning around town when hes not a slave for the usual 9to5. fuckin pussies

i bought an sc300 and gave it to my wife because its so fucking heavy and gutless

hOngsterr
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
get the IS250 convertible......
imo the g37 sedans are pretty ugly.
and the IS looks smexy.
if anything i would choose the IS
or if your baller get a 335i its 40k lol

BustedS13
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM

i wholly agree with this statement. a friend's dad bought the Genesis sedan. aside from feeling a little narrow for what they were going for, it's a beautiful car. and yeah, if Hyundai is trying to show that they've turned over a new leaf, why did they slap it with the shitty crooked honda logo? the winged badge is infinitely cooler.

https://www.dragtimes.com/images-classifieds-large/Hyundai-Genesis-Sedan-KDM-Front-Hood-Wing-Emblem-Badge-for-sale_170330893282.jpg

SexPanda
08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I second the Genesis. Sweet ass sedans. Plenty of power, less bank for more bling, as they say in the hood.

DRO916
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
My GF just bought an Obsidian black is250 last night...coming from an 03' M3. Super nice quiet comfortable daily driver. Perfect for her if you ask me. I prefer the M3, but the SMG was having too many problems.

If I was to choose luxury though I'd cop an M35 Sport or G450h. E60 M5 if I was ballin

Or like Benson's G35 Sedan:
http://www.bensonhsu.com/journal/images/2009/full/v36_bagels.jpg
http://www.bensonhsu.com/journal/images/2009/full/v36_bagels2.jpg

VROOOM
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
look into the Cadillac CTS. rwd, over 300 hp and looks awesome.

RiversideS13
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
IS250 is slow but very comfortable. however, I heard it gets very good mpg too... i had a friend who commute from riverside to san diego and he said he got about 27 mpg. I think it is a good DD

SexPanda
08-20-2009, 07:46 PM
IS250 is slow but very comfortable. however, I heard it gets very good mpg too... i had a friend who commute from riverside to san diego and he said he got about 27 mpg. I think it is a good DD

Sounds like a winner to me. Especially with the price of fuel.

Manuelitoohno
08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
not everything has to be import when it comes to a DD.

aye ford has the tight taurus.

actually i wouldnt mind driving the new to tourus.

365 hp

350 tq.

why not

SexPanda
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
not everything has to be import when it comes to a DD.

aye ford has the tight taurus.

actually i wouldnt mind driving the new to taurus.

365 hp

350 tq.

why not

Thats the sho. And its 40 grand. And AWD Turbo v6. Wait, when did a taurus become super fucking bad ass?

Ford, your doing it right.

Manuelitoohno
08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Thats the sho. And its 40 grand. And AWD Turbo v6. Wait, when did a taurus become super fucking bad ass?

Ford, your doing it right.

cant tell if your sarcastic or not thanks to your other post LOL :wiggle:

but its not 40 grand

its low 30's

and 30 or below if you have some clunker and extra shit (any ford dealer or chevy wants I mean NEEDS your business im sure they can hook it up)

handinpants
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM

is300 had 210hp, same as na supra

zylvia213
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
i like how the IS looks slammed with some nice baller wheels.

Om1kron
08-21-2009, 02:09 AM
imo the g37 sedans are pretty ugly.

there is no g37 sedan, it's still a g35. the coupe is a g37.

secondly are you fucking retarded? the g35 sedan doesn't look good? omg are you serious?

if someone offered me a 2009 g35 sedan for my car id trade it in a heart beat without even thinking.

ronmcdon
08-21-2009, 02:18 AM
there is no g37 sedan, it's still a g35. the coupe is a g37.

secondly are you fucking retarded? the g35 sedan doesn't look good? omg are you serious?

if someone offered me a 2009 g35 sedan for my car id trade it in a heart beat without even thinking.

Think in 2008 there was the G35 sedan & G37 coupe.
In 2009, the G35 sedan was replaced by the G37 sedan w/ 328hp VQ37.
Check out the US Infiniti site & Wiki for reference.

Infiniti G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_G#G35_sedan)

For the 2009 model the G35 sedan was replaced by the G37 sedan. Exterior, interior and options remain identical to the 2008 G35 model range but the sedan now also sports the improved and enlarged version of the Nissan VQ engine the 3.7-liter VQ37VHR "VVEL" V6, rated 328 hp (245 kW) at 7,000 rpm and 269 ft·lbf (365 N·m) at 5,200 rpm (2008 G35 VQ35HR engine is 306 hp (228 kW) at 6,800 rpm and 268 ft·lbf (363 N·m) at 4,800 rpm) that was already introduced in the G37 Coupe for the 2008 model year.

hOngsterr
08-21-2009, 02:22 AM
/\/\/\
woooo someone saved me! haha thanks.

heres the g37 sedan
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/a/d/1/ag_09g37_ltrear.jpg

but i rather stick with the 03 G35 coupe rather then the newer ones due to looks,
G35/7 sedans are ugly
imo

ronmcdon
08-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Well it's kinda confusing.

Strange how Nissan half-assed the '08 G sedan.
They updated everything on the G sedan in 2008, but somehow forgot about that VQ37.
In 2009, Nissan decided for whatever reason to finally replace the VQ35 w/ the 37 in the G sedan.

Of course, the 08 G37 Coupe was updated thoroughly w/ the VQ37 engine.

RiversideS13
08-21-2009, 02:42 AM
or you can just hit up dealer and see what is the BEST DEAL you can get among those entry level luxury cars. my friend's sister got a new mercedes C350 out of door for about $36k

!Zar!
08-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Eff a base C-class.
C63 or bust for that boat.
Blah blah blah 06 e55.

Step up.

Do this.

Do it.

You know you want to.

Car handles great with the stock suspension during any given mode, you can buy lowering likes and raise the car back up to stock at the push of a button.

Power and still gets good highway mileage.

No complaints.

japslapsilvia
08-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks peeps...lots of good points....but after doing a little more research i think im going to lean toward the IS. Reason being is that it just a daily...and still has a little class. its not the best in any one particular catagory...but overall it does very well. and to some extent things can be changed. i do plan on doing MINOR mods to the car. prob a drop...wheels, intake and exhaust...but a very simple effective and clean exhaust...nothing like my 240...plus its an auto...i commute to work..and traffic + stick sucks when ur tired and irritated as fuck....Another point is that its good on gas. I will prob be picking one up tomorrow....lol...depending on what i can get for my Honda.

i still havnt written off the G just yet. it all depens on what kind of deal i can get on the IS

ixfxi
08-21-2009, 09:25 AM
new g sedan looks fantastic, its on my list of cars to acquire in the later years once you assholes buy them and they begin to depreciate.

i think people that spend tens of thousands of dollars on a bullshit car which is JUST used for transportation, are morons. i mean, these cars depreciate SO fucking quickly that you're left with shit.. from an investment standpoint, its quite possibly the dumbest thing you can possibly do with your money.

and whats even better is that on this shitty broken down 240 forum, we have folks jumping from G sedan, IS250, to BMW M5....... jesus christ, are you guys this jaded? no one here, and i mean NO ONE on this forum can afford an M5, let alone know how to work on that fucking monster V10.

its almost like a fake lifestyles of the rich and famous forum, you guys are hoping and dreaming to afford such useless, materialistic possessions.

come back to earth people. you drive old, beatup nissan 240's and have a hard time justifying a fucking paint job for more than maaco prices, an M5 is clearly out of your near/far or immediate lifestyle.

japslapsilvia
08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
well First of all i dont drive a broke down 240...my 240 is currently stripped and sitting on a chassis dolly...waiting to be painted....no not a Macco paint job...but an actual REAL paint job. i have no problem dropping 1500-2000+ on a paint job for that car.

secondly i never mentioned anything about an M5 or a bimmer for that matter. the only bimmer i would have considered...at this point in my life would be and M3. but i cant justify the cost now, or the usability. i have disposible income, and i CAN walk into Lexus and drop 20K CASH on the car. BUT thats not the point. i would like to further build my credit...

im sorry i dont hope and dream of owning useless, materialistic possessions. i WORK hard for all that i have....

EDT007
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
new g sedan looks fantastic, its on my list of cars to acquire in the later years once you assholes buy them and they begin to depreciate.

i think people that spend tens of thousands of dollars on a bullshit car which is JUST used for transportation, are morons. i mean, these cars depreciate SO fucking quickly that you're left with shit.. from an investment standpoint, its quite possibly the dumbest thing you can possibly do with your money.

and whats even better is that on this shitty broken down 240 forum, we have folks jumping from G sedan, IS250, to BMW M5....... jesus christ, are you guys this jaded? no one here, and i mean NO ONE on this forum can afford an M5, let alone know how to work on that fucking monster V10.

its almost like a fake lifestyles of the rich and famous forum, you guys are hoping and dreaming to afford such useless, materialistic possessions.

come back to earth people. you drive old, beatup nissan 240's and have a hard time justifying a fucking paint job for more than maaco prices, an M5 is clearly out of your near/far or immediate lifestyle.

Not to burst your bubble, but you shouldn't assume you know everyone's financial situation. Just because some ppl CHOOSE to put $ into an old car for the sake of a specific purpose (spirited driving, track, just for the love of it, etc..) doesn't mean that cannot afford something better. There are always exceptions to the rule so don't generalize. To me this sounds like rantings of an old, broke man that could never afford what he really wanted and just settled. Keep those stupid comments to yourself! :smash:

ixfxi
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
this isnt an assumption, its a fact. the economy is in the dump and you guys are talking about which luxury car should i buy?

i mean, you guys dont realize how unimportant cars (and other material possessions) are in our day to day lives.

japslapsilvia (bad sn btw) says he has no problem paying 1500-2000+ for a paint job? no shit, i paid 2500 JUST IN MATERIALS. keep going, most shops dont touch full resprays for under 5k....... good shops that is.

edt007 you say i shouldnt assume peoples financial situations. you're right, im not assuming.. i'm actually telling you that most of america is in the dump, and that practically means everyone.. because there hasnt been one person i know that hasnt been effected by the situation. furthermore, ive been around in the 240 scene long enough to know that you guys are broke and cheap.

ask driftfreaq or anyone here who deals with zilvians on a daily basis, most of the guys on the forum dont wanna spend money for OEM moldings or basic replacement parts. most of the guys want to low ball for parts. most of the guys buy from the dealers expecting that they deserve 10% above cost. if i am not right then why the FUCK do we allow "variant" products to be sold on this forum? it just further reinforces my point that you fuckers cant afford to justify paying money for the real thing.

building credit is just another word for not being able to budget and afford to pay for things in full.

japslapsilvia
08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
this isnt an assumption, its a fact. the economy is in the dump and you guys are talking about which luxury car should i buy?

i mean, you guys dont realize how unimportant cars (and other material possessions) are in our day to day lives.

japslapsilvia (bad sn btw) says he has no problem paying 1500-2000+ for a paint job? no shit, i paid 2500 JUST IN MATERIALS. keep going, most shops dont touch full resprays for under 5k....... good shops that is.

edt007 you say i shouldnt assume peoples financial situations. you're right, im not assuming.. i'm actually telling you that most of america is in the dump, and that practically means everyone.. because there hasnt been one person i know that hasnt been effected by the situation. furthermore, ive been around in the 240 scene long enough to know that you guys are broke and cheap.

ask driftfreaq or anyone here who deals with zilvians on a daily basis, most of the guys on the forum dont wanna spend money for OEM moldings or basic replacement parts. most of the guys want to low ball for parts. most of the guys buy from the dealers expecting that they deserve 10% above cost. if i am not right then why the FUCK do we allow "variant" products to be sold on this forum? it just further reinforces my point that you fuckers cant afford to justify paying money for the real thing.

building credit is just another word for not being able to budget and afford to pay for things in full.

well look at it this way...ClearCorners.com is say the "luxury" of the aftermarket lighting...sooo if people dont spend money on your lights..where does that leave you? TRUST me i fully understant the concept of materalism and the roll that it plays in our society. and i do know how to budget....i have over 8 major credit cards. ZERO DEBT, and i have NEVER carried a balance. all of my cards are PAID in FULL at the end of the month. i currently have and 805 credit score. Anything i can do to further build credit will contribute to me purchasing a home in the near furture. maybe you dont realize that credit is/has become important in this country. im sorry but im not some spoon fed kid that has had everything handed to them. ive had to work for all that i have.

what i dont understant is why you are talking about M5's...then state that

"i mean, you guys dont realize how unimportant cars (and other material possessions) are in our day to day lives."

ok whats the point??? if they are sooo unimportant why would you talk about a car that cost soo much $$???

hOngsterr
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
/\/\ its funny how you guys are arguing when OP has a quote from ixfxi
lol

you dont have to have a pocketful of cash to buy a car,
you can always do a down payment and eventually pay it off,
or you can also lease if your so unsure about the car and you can
switch to another car as you please.

ixfxi
08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
TRUST me i fully understant the concept of materalism and the roll that it plays in our society. and i do know how to budget....i have over 8 major credit cards. ZERO DEBT, and i have NEVER carried a balance. all of my cards are PAID in FULL at the end of the month. i currently have and 805 credit score. Anything i can do to further build credit will contribute to me purchasing a home in the near furture. maybe you dont realize that credit is/has become important in this country. im sorry but im not some spoon fed kid that has had everything handed to them. ive had to work for all that i have.

what i dont understant is why you are talking about M5's...then state that

"i mean, you guys dont realize how unimportant cars (and other material possessions) are in our day to day lives."

ok whats the point??? if they are sooo unimportant why would you talk about a car that cost soo much $$???

i mention the M5 because people have the nerve to actually mention this car, when its clearly out of most, if not all peoples price range on this forum (and many other forums). people stretch to have things they cannot afford, hence the reason car companies offer credit-based purchases. it only makes sense. basically, its temptation.... lets see how long someone can hold out lusting for something that they cannot afford and lets see just how much we can milk them for when they sign off and buy it with credit.

some things are worth stretching for, like a property since it actually appreciates. but when i hear people talk about cars, i dont think they fully understand how expensive certain things are. 30-40k for a car is not cheap, its still a grip of money for something that just takes you from place to place. to give you an example, my SC300 sold new for near 50k in `95 and I purchased it for 7k. great investment for the original buyer. and here people talk about how great supercars like the GTR are, yet they dont realize how expensive (overpriced) the components are... even basic components like the fuckin seats, with their integrated bullshit airbags. 8k for seats? fuck that car and all these overpriced, overengineered cars.

HAWAII
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
We also have an IS in the fleet. It's actually my wife's DD, the car is very comfortable well, it replaced a 350z so anything is more comfortable.

We got one fully loaded, the NAVI is very easy to use,the back up cam is very helpful, the seats are very comfortable, not too firm like the BMW 3 series but not too soft like the Acura TSX. I am 5-11, 200 lbs and with my seat adjusted to my preference, a person could hang in the back seat without any complains, I am not too sure on a long road trip thou, say, L.A. to Vegas.
I love the smoothness of the engine and yes I can check and change the oil on that car unlike the MB C class.
Overall we are very satisfied with the car and... the most important thing is that wife is happy with it.

japslapsilvia
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
i mention the M5 because people have the nerve to actually mention this car, when its clearly out of most, if not all peoples price range on this forum (and many other forums). people stretch to have things they cannot afford, hence the reason car companies offer credit-based purchases. it only makes sense. basically, its temptation.... lets see how long someone can hold out lusting for something that they cannot afford and lets see just how much we can milk them for when they sign off and buy it with credit.

some things are worth stretching for, like a property since it actually appreciates. but when i hear people talk about cars, i dont think they fully understand how expensive certain things are. 30-40k for a car is not cheap, its still a grip of money for something that just takes you from place to place. to give you an example, my SC300 sold new for near 50k in `95 and I purchased it for 7k. great investment for the original buyer. and here people talk about how great supercars like the GTR are, yet they dont realize how expensive (overpriced) the components are... even basic components like the fuckin seats, with their integrated bullshit airbags. 8k for seats? fuck that car and all these overpriced, overengineered cars.

This i completly agree with!

However i do NOT fall into that catagory..when i bought my civic in 01 i saved...put a nice downpayment...and paid the car off in a year. and i will take a small loss on it...depreciation...but its usable value (to me) out weighs the depreciated current value. Credit is good and bad...in that people exploit it and live beyond their means...run up lots of debt and have never saved a dime...sucks for them....however if you ARE responsible with it...it will be an asset...when the time comes to purchase property.

hOngsterr- yea i have a quote from Mike....b/c if FUCKEN funny as hell...

oh and this isnt an argument..its purly a discussion...honeslty i completly respect Mike and the work he does...have you seen his lights?? they are FUCKEN awsome....credit where credit is due....

driftsilvias13
08-21-2009, 01:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/BRABUS627/LEXUS%20FORUM/DSC_3058s.jpg
Simply beautiful.

ixfxi
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
However i do NOT fall into that catagory..when i bought my civic in 01 i saved...put a nice downpayment...and paid the car off in a year.

oh and this isnt an argument..its purly a discussion...

one thing i will say is that i think you've read the post thinking that i was speaking directly about you, which i was not. i am just figuratively speaking, saying how disappointed i am with the economy and additionally, the state of our wonderful 240 community (agh)

at the end of the day, i dont think any of this really matters though.. life will continue to go on and people will continue to live in their materialistic bubble.

born and raised in LA, i've grown to know this all too well. funny, you know you're out of the city when you see people driving older, PAID FOR cars. because everytime i am in the city i see nothing but rentals (ie: leased cars)

SimpleS14
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM
get the IS250 convertible......

Oh man, I really hope you were joking about that. The IS convertible is damn ugly. The G convertible is much better...but either way, both cars wouldn't a good fit for the OP (IMO).

As ixfxi mentioned, the G sedan is quite nice and I can't wait for it to depreciate in value so I can pick one up at a good price (probably a 07 G35s sedan).

SC_S13
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I love when Mike really steps into a thread lol He's right though, so many people in our economy go out of their way to spend non-existent money on impractical and unneeded items that could be used to bail a debt or feed a damn family. Being a college student and buying/owning a 240sx (or any type of car for that matter) really shows you the consequences of temptation and value of priorities. I think the OP and Mike both have very valid points, but the fact is brand new cars off the lot are always going to have a certain value, and are ALWAYS going to depreciate. The best you can do is work hard for what you want and get the best deal possible. I've put aside money for Mike's coupe tails and I think I'm a little insane for doing that haha but he does have great shit.

But to keep on topic, I've actually driven a IS250 6-speed and I was a little disappointed with the response, but it is comfortable and comes with a good amount of options for the price. I honestly think you should go for the manual transmission, it really is not that much of a pain to drive daily in traffic. I dd my 240sx with a race clutch in stop-and-go and it can help you focus on something else rather than 8 hrs of pent up frustration lol.

WanganRunner
08-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I will prob be picking one up tomorrow....lol...depending on what i can get for my Honda.

i still havnt written off the G just yet. it all depens on what kind of deal i can get on the IS

^^
You'd better at least drive 2-3 of these cars or we reserve the right to mercilessly make fun of you for buying a $30k+ car effectively based on brochures and heresay bullshit rather than driving impressions.

When I bought my wife's TSX, I test drive like a dozen cars.

EDIT:

^^
This is 31 flavors of wrong.

Everyone should, for awhile, run a balance to build credit. If you go through life thinking you don't need credit, you're probably also going through live never owning any substantial real estate or other investments.

That said, don't leverage yourself to the eyeballs either. There's a happy medium somewhere, but you need good credit in order to qualify for debt to buy a house or other real estate. Good credit is necessary in our society.

thisisastickup
08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
why not a genesis coupe?

ixfxi
08-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Everyone should, for awhile, run a balance to build credit. If you go through life thinking you don't need credit, you're probably also going through live never owning any substantial real estate or other investments.

That said, don't leverage yourself to the eyeballs either. There's a happy medium somewhere, but you need good credit in order to qualify for debt to buy a house or other real estate. Good credit is necessary in our society.

have you guys ever noticed, or maybe some of you havent.........

that when you have buttloads of money saved up in a bank account, how fuckin ANXIOUS lenders are to give you credit? no?

much like being in a club... being that guy whos buying expensive drinks and partying, or being in a strip club and loaded with money, girls get wet just being around you. its the same concept, lenders are hot to suck your cock just so they can get access to your money. once they have you in debt, they dont care much to keep extending money to you because they know they already have you on the hook.

credit is fuckin overrated, its one big fuckin rat race

japslapsilvia
08-21-2009, 05:16 PM
yes i have driven a few differnt cars. the IS. the G coupe. and a sedan today at lunch today, a cl230 and a 325i

JDM_inspired
08-22-2009, 01:59 AM
LS430... hands down

Manuelitoohno
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
i think you should buy any car you want :)

japslapsilvia
08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
i just got the IS like an hour ago...lol!

!Zar!
08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
03 m5 isn't crazy priced.

A low mileage one with warranty can be had for less than 30k.

A car that performs great and can be maintained for a fair rate if you aren't a blind owner.

So I don't see all the tears about me mentioning an m5.