PDA

View Full Version : i need profesional career opinions

Manuelitoohno
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I am turning 19 in 1 month.

i am starting my senior year in one week.

NO i did not drop out before,

NO i never flunked a grade in high school

YES i got held back in 8th grade. i spent 6 months in spain to see family that year.

but besides the point.

when ever i see ad campaigns or branding i always think

"huh thats really cool" and look more in depht into it.

So i realized i kinda want to do that. covers for video games, covers for SODA CANS LOL ( i loved what pepsi did on new years with the pepsi logo used as zero's and times square ads saying "happy 2009" with the 0's being pepsi logos and the words "POP" , "love" etc being the pepsi logo.

things like that. i like design stuff. so i decided that i really wanna do gfx design and take commercial art & advertising and take some art clases

but i was thinking. what would be better? going to a trade school

i.e : art institute Of las vegas (theres art institutes everywhere san fran, LA, etc so if anyone has been a student there or know someone thats been there whats it like?)

or should i take core classes at a community college and in 2 years or 1 year go to UNLV and take those classes there?

another career i was looking at is being a photographer in the navy.

and then ill do 4 - 5 years there and then just go to school for what i want to do all paid?

im at a point in life i need to start building a foundation for my future.

zenki.life
08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
its your future....not to be a dick but what do we care. im going through the same thing. 19 years old and on my path. however if i ever needed this help i talked to a counselor not an internet forum. we dont get paid to listen to you like a counselor does. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!!

DreamN
08-18-2009, 11:44 PM
^ I swear sometimes I wish I could smack you via the computer. You try to hard to be a dick. Nothing really against you, it's just annoying to read.

Forums are great places to ask questions like these because you never know who might actually be in the same line of work that you are interested in. A high school counselor for the most part is useless in helping you choose the career path you truly want. They're there to guide you and usually if you're in a public school system do a half ass attempt at it.

Not only is that career focused on graphic design and art, but it's also business marketing. Look into the Business Marketing as either one of your majors or a minor when you're in school. Because it's great that you can design shit, but if you can't hit your audience because you lack the ability to properly target them then there is no point in making an ad.

Tips: E-Mail some places that have caught your eye and ask them the same questions. It could only help and might prove more insightful than talking to a counselor with limited to no experience in the field in which you'd like to follow.

krazyfil
08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
well not going to be a dick... but as an Army veteran myselfn this is something u have to make sure u are up for doing, while on one point u will have a blast and get to do so many things others will never get to do and see many places u never thought u would... military isnt a joke, so u have to put 110% into it... so think about that before u jump into any branch

as far as ur other option... im not to sure on what the difference is between trade schools and actualy universities cuz i dont know much about that trade... so that u would have to talk to other graphic artists and such... hope this answered ur question

stealthsr20
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Decide for yourself what you want. The Navy offers great technical opportunities and great self discipline. It's what you would like to do as a part of society that is important.
Ask yourself, what do i wan't to be every day?

zenki.life
08-18-2009, 11:56 PM
i probably do deserve to be smacked. however i wish people will talk to others(people who are actually of interest) first THEN go to the internet as a last resort. this is a car forum first and foremost. so what percentage of people would really have the career you want or are interested in? small percentage is my bet. if this was some graphic designer forum ect(where his question could actually be answered) than id eat my words and have a monkey punch me in the face repeatedly. but its not. so until then i stand by what i say

if anyone cant figure out what to do for themselves the military is a great place. they give you meaningful direction in life. no matter what job you do

CrimsonRockett
08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Think about it.

This is OFF TOPIC.

There's a LOT of people that don't even own an S-chassis anymore that still post in OT like crazy.

DreamN hit it right on the money.

stealthsr20
08-18-2009, 11:59 PM
it's no about the money that is important, it's the satisfaction.

I LUV MY S13
08-18-2009, 11:59 PM
i would say just research to see which best fits you...good to know what u wanna do

or atleast have an idea..its tough going through college not knowing wat u wana do in

life trust me..ive hoped over through 3 different majors already..just find a path that

best fits ur work ethics an abilities and just do ur best

stealthsr20
08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
The monkey is right here:wackit:

jamg
08-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Honestly, I'd much rather prefer doing something that will give you a job, and just do what you like as a hobby.

stealthsr20
08-19-2009, 12:08 AM
i agree, i'm on my second degree as welll

silly_13
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
if anyone cant figure out what to do for themselves the military is a great place. they give you meaningful direction in life. no matter what job you do
Yup. I agree, im going to the Marines this winter, if you can't figure out what you want to do, why not join the military. I went to college myself trying to figure out what i want to do, but all i can think of is the corp, i went to take Auto Technician and Computer Technician at my local community college, i like but i don't think i can see myself doing both maybe auto tech on the side as a hobby but as a career, i don't see myself doing it. So you should go look around what you really want to do, but if you cant figure it out just join the military.

FRpilot
08-19-2009, 12:38 AM
i probably do deserve to be smacked... this is a car forum first and foremost. so what percentage of people would really have the career you want or are interested in? small percentage is my bet.

:duh:

you think people interested in cars have no life outside of cars? you'd be surprised of the diversity of people on zilvia. this is one of the biggest forums around.

maybe not all of the people on zilvia have completed PhD or got certifications, but there are people here in the process of getting an advanced degree and persuing higher education. they might have met or know of people who have finished too. just from what i see, there are people here studying law, engineering, nursing, medicine, pharmacy, accounting, etc. in fact, in the nursing thread, i was surprised to see a guy currently working on his phd and jd.

so why not, this IS in OT and people can share their experience/knowledge.

fliprayzin240sx
08-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Why would you wanna join the Navy to be a photographer?!?! Of all the thousands of jobs you can do in the military, why do the one job that has the least amount of satisfaction. Go work on computers/networking, always a demand for that job outside. Get all your microsoft accreditation while your in and get paid when you get out.

rokmplutonium
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM
You could always join a ROTC program. That way, you can finish school, get commissioned as an officer upon completion. Plus, they'll pay for your school tuition, books, and give you a monthly allowance.

flip3d
08-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Computational Biology.

druthafoo
08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm in a cubicle all day. I'm sure everyone else who also is, will agree with me.

Avoid anything with a cubicle.

one of my good friends here goes to Brandcenter at VCU, one of the top if not the number 1 advertising schools in the nation; she loves it. Try that as well.

dert420sx
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm in a cubicle all day. I'm sure everyone else who also is, will agree with me.

Avoid anything with a cubicle.

one of my good friends here goes to Brandcenter at VCU, one of the top if not the number 1 advertising schools in the nation; she loves it. Try that as well.

QFT!

studied accounting. now i get to see nothing but the walls of my cubicle in some engineering company in irvine. yay college!

my gf's an occupational therapist and now im thinking about going back to school to try to be a respiratory or physical therapist. fuck living in a cubicle farm for the rest of my life.

the healthcare industry is only going to explode in the next few years with the baby boomers aging and the brave soldiers coming back from the war maimed. it would be foolish not to jump on this wagon now and get a head start on the competition before there really is a need for you there.

Mi Beardo es Loco
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I am turning 19 in 1 month.

i am starting my senior year in one week.

NO i did not drop out before,

NO i never flunked a grade in high school

YES i got held back in 8th grade. i spent 6 months in spain to see family that year.

but besides the point.

when ever i see ad campaigns or branding i always think

"huh thats really cool" and look more in depht into it.

So i realized i kinda want to do that. covers for video games, covers for SODA CANS LOL ( i loved what pepsi did on new years with the pepsi logo used as zero's and times square ads saying "happy 2009" with the 0's being pepsi logos and the words "POP" , "love" etc being the pepsi logo.

things like that. i like design stuff. so i decided that i really wanna do gfx design and take commercial art & advertising and take some art clases

but i was thinking. what would be better? going to a trade school

i.e : art institute Of las vegas (theres art institutes everywhere san fran, LA, etc so if anyone has been a student there or know someone thats been there whats it like?)

or should i take core classes at a community college and in 2 years or 1 year go to UNLV and take those classes there?

another career i was looking at is being a photographer in the navy.

and then ill do 4 - 5 years there and then just go to school for what i want to do all paid?

im at a point in life i need to start building a foundation for my future.
the best advice I can give ANYONE is to intern intern intern intern! Go to school at night and intern in the mornings if they allow that. I'm not sure what interning is available in your field but you should look deeply into it. It gives companies a look at what you'll truly be like in a working atmoshpere.

ZX88
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
GRAPHIC DESIGNE, NEW MEDIA MARKETING, MARKETING, photography,

if you want to designe products take marketing classes, and graphic designe/ art classes. learn illistrator, and photoshop, learn business.

have a portfolio ready for employers to see.