PDA

View Full Version : Doors not aligning help please

newslidz
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
OK im new to the nissan game but have aligned many doors and this one is at the latch were the problem seems to be coming from. Now on both sides driver and passenger there is about _____ that much gap on both sides like when a door is shut to the first point but not sealed at the second but it is on the second. do the latches go bad? I took the rear inside panels out to look to see if i could just realign it but its got tabs in their please fill me in on your tips im sure out of all these dam 240s I can not be the only one... :ughug:

WILL POST PICS TOMORROW WHEN ITS LIGHT OUT DUE TO CRAPPY CAMERA.

projectRDM
08-14-2009, 11:02 PM
The striker is adjustable to a point. Try moving it in as far as you can. The latch may wear out but it wouldn't allow a gap like that, it just wouldn't catch or would stick when opened.

g6civcx
08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
have aligned many doors

If you have body experience you should know how to adjust a door.

The two door latches can be adjusted up/down and left/right. Adjust the position with the door holder/adjustment tool that body shops have to support the weight of the door. Line the door up with the body panels as much as you can.

The other adjustment is the striker. The striker can be adjusted up/down and in/out to make the door sit flushed with the rear quarter.

That's it. If you can't adjust the door then either you don't know what you're doing, or there is dody damage that you can't fix beyond the factory adjustments.

newslidz
08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
ok after looking at sombody elses 240 i believe my strikers were replaced with some from another nissan. This could also explain why the gaps are the same on both sides because nobody would move them out of alignment for no reason. thanks for that advice but i guess ill just have to hit up the junk yards and see what i come across.

THIS IS WHAT BOTH SIDES LOOK LIKE

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/Civic1993honda/IMG_1038.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/Civic1993honda/IMG_1040.jpg

AFTER BEATING THE THE STRIKER WITH A HAMMER
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/Civic1993honda/IMG_1041.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/Civic1993honda/IMG_1042.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/Civic1993honda/IMG_1043.jpgNOW IT CLOSES LIKE SHIT. I MEEN YOU HAVE TO SLAM IT TO GET IT TO CLOSE I THINK THE LATCHES ARE BAD OR SOMTHING ITS SEEMS SO SLOPPY IF THAT MAKES SENSE

g6civcx
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
The gap looks like crap just like mine. It doesn't bother me enough to really adjust the gap.

The hard to close issue is the striker. The striker and/or the door needs to be moved.

I'd rather have a door that closes fine but sits a little raised, than a door that sits flushed but doesn't close well.

newslidz
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The gap looks like crap just like mine. It doesn't bother me enough to really adjust the gap.

The hard to close issue is the striker. The striker and/or the door needs to be moved.

I'd rather have a door that closes fine but sits a little raised, than a door that sits flushed but doesn't close well.

The door is fine but I am in the process of making my car look good and run good I plan on doing paint and body work soon here but those doors will make it look like shit with out being fixed so im gonna see if i cant find some more latches and see what happens.

projectRDM
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe it fits worse from beating the strikers with a hammer.

Why not loosen and readjust them properly instead of just beating on them like your penis while watching drifting videos?

g6civcx
08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Have you done a cage? If so, the body dimensions may have changed.

If you want to go all out get your frame measured.

If your frame is straight, there are tricks to make sure that the door lines up, including boring out the latch adjustment holes, stacking washers, moving the striker, etc.

Try the factory adjustment first and then see if you need to do something more drastic.

newslidz
08-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Maybe it fits worse from beating the strikers with a hammer.

Why not loosen and readjust them properly instead of just beating on them like your penis while watching drifting videos?

Ok the beating wasnt like im trying to fix a front end collision it was just moving it in farther I gave it like 3 medium hits with the hammer to slide it back farther.

g6civcx Have you done a cage? If so, the body dimensions may have changed.

If you want to go all out get your frame measured.

If your frame is straight, there are tricks to make sure that the door lines up, including boring out the latch adjustment holes, stacking washers, moving the striker, etc.

Try the factory adjustment first and then see if you need to do something more drastic.

their is no cage yet but there will be somtime in the next 4 months. I think im gonna investigate all the edges around the doors because its not the lock its self thats having trouble locking I dont believe. it seems the farther in the door goes the more it wants to pull out and needs more force to close. so im gonna look into see what could be causeing this maby the piece that allows the door to open only so far could be messed up or could be something stupid but thanks for the help..

g6civcx
08-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Take the door striker off completely and just adjust your door to the body.

After you get the door to fit perfectly, then you can start putting the striker back in and see what needs to be adjusted.

newslidz
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Take the door striker off completely and just adjust your door to the body.

After you get the door to fit perfectly, then you can start putting the striker back in and see what needs to be adjusted.

Yea ill do that. Do the latches go bad? It seems really sloppy. Are the latches inside of the door adjustable because if that was the case I could adjust it farther back in the door more towards the outside skin and I could pull the striker back out.

g6civcx
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
No. The only adjustment you have are the 2 latches on the fender. There is no adjustment inside the door itself.