PDA

View Full Version : KA24E header stud question

Xise
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
I should be getting my header in the mail today and I just sprayed all my bolts/studs with some wd40 to loosedn the rusted ones and I saw that I am missing a stud so i need to get a stud kit. I am not going to buy the ARP kit b/c it is twice what i paidfor the header lol, so I searched around and found this kit here

Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Mr Gasket Exhaust Stud - Aluminum, Universal product (http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/details/Univ/Mr_Gasket/Exhaust_Stud/G123415.html)

It seemed like a decent price, but the sizes aren't in metric so i am not sure if it is going to fit, it did come up when I entered my car's info into the search. just wanted to know If anyone knows the exact sizes for the studs or where I can get a cheap stud kit.

Clark W. Griswald
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
If youre going to replace all of them anyways, take one off now and go to ace hardware or something like that to get the correct pitch and thread count. Use that and start sourcing the size you need from defferent companys that sell automotive hardware. Just my 2 cents.

Xise
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah i guess I could do that, just wanted to know if anyone knew the exact specs for the exhaust mani studs. I couldn't find it in the FSM. It is for a 1989 240sx XE KA24E sohch motor.

Just got the header in about an hour ago, so tomorrow if I have these bolts I can have everything done and the car will finally be up and running.

Xise
08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I also need to know what the torque specs are so I don't over tighten everything, or if anyone knows what page it is on in the FSM that would help too!!

southerncross
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
soak those studs/bolts with PB Blaster, not wd40. wd doesnt wick into the threads like PB will, and do it after your engine is warm. trust me, ive probably put 10 or more headers on older nissans, and its mandatory because the studs will definitely ruin your life if they break off inside.

Xise
08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
yeah i am not going to do it today i just gave them an initial blast of wd to lossen them up a bit, smacked em with a ratchet to loose the a bit. Ill grab some pb blastere once I have thebrand new studs.

I def DO NOT want to break any bolts off in the head, thats why I was wondering on the torque specs and the exact size of the studs. Does anyone know the exact size of the sohc header studs??

I was going to coat the header in ceramic but it is so nice and shiny I kind of don't want to now, any really notice any benefit to coating header??

soak those studs/bolts with PB Blaster, not wd40. wd doesnt wick into the threads like PB will, and do it after your engine is warm. trust me, ive probably put 10 or more headers on older nissans, and its mandatory because the studs will definitely ruin your life if they break off inside.

southerncross
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
if its a stainless header, wipe it down with alcohol before you put it on, and dont leave any fingerprints on it. if you do it right, and there is no dirt or oil from your hands, it will turn the header a really nice gold color once it gets hot. i do it on every one of mine.

i wouldnt torque them over 25 ft-lbs. they'll break in a heartbeat. also, dont trust any stud that isnt arp. if it feels like its still loose, run the engine for a while (with all of them in of course) and see if any try to back out. retorque after 15 or 20 minutes of running. as long as there are no exhaust leaks its good.

one last thing: torque from the inside to the outside on each flange.

stinky_180
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
08120-8301a Bolt for the upper four holes (4needed

08223-83010 studs for lower four holes (4needed
08911-2081A nuts for lower four holes (4needed

14002E yoke for the manifold (8 needed

godrifttoday
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
u need just a bolt like one of the guys said from ur local ace harward store the thread pitch ( or what u ask for) is m8x1.25 lenght i would say estimate

Xise
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks everyone, yeah I found the only place to get teh yoke washers is the dealer. no hardware store had the studs, i could get bolts but I am just ging to go to my local nissan dealer and get all these o i don't have to pay shipping. I ordered some nuts and studs from autozone according to what they had listed for the stusd the size looks wrong, they list it as m10 1.50 x 54mm......seems like that is the wrong measurement.

I should get tehm tomorrow so I will try them, but i am porabably going to have to return them.

Oh yea anyone have a really hard time getting thier egr fitting on the top off? I have hit this one bolt off with pb blaster for like 3 days and it will not budge, i almost want to cut my egr tube but I fear i would really regret doing that. tomorrow I am going to take my torch to it ans see if that helps, just looking for some suggestions

stinky_180
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
try a flare nut wrench.

use the part numbers i listed above when going to the dealership.

Xise
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
well I already bought a set of wrenches for this job, plus whoever took this egr fitting off before stripped it bad, all the corners are rounded so I couldn't even grab it with anything I have. I probably need a new fitting at this point, so I just need to get the fitting off.

So before I go buy a new set of wrenches, do you know the size of the egr fitting? I have heard 24mm but it seems to big and 22 mm is too small.....and i just cant find a 23mm wrench.

HAWAII
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
if you are going to the dealer route, go get the studs for the Z32 TT

godrifttoday
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
did u order ur studs? i can send u some i can get them locally for cheap

Xise
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
bah too bad I ordered them like 3 days ago....

DataXUnknown
08-29-2009, 02:19 PM
what exactly is the "yoke" for the manifold? i need all new 4 bolts for the upper part and nuts for the studs on the bottom. (exhaust)

Xise
08-31-2009, 04:14 PM
the yoke is more or less a spacer so you don't overtightern the nuts/bolts, I have 4 bolts and 4 new studs if you need them, I am missing one yoke though but i have those aswell PM me if you need them

what exactly is the "yoke" for the manifold? i need all new 4 bolts for the upper part and nuts for the studs on the bottom. (exhaust)