PDA

View Full Version : Am I screwed?

325irollin
08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Trying to get a car registered but I don't have the title... just a bill of sale which is from the guy who sold it to me who isn't the guy on the title. The guy I bought it from signed the title but never titled it under himself. I gave him the title back since he was a nice guy and said he would title it then give me the new one, now he is just being retarded and not responding to my messages or anything. I'm going to call him today and see what's up if he answers. He is the owner of a local drift forum so it's not like nobody knows him, PRETTY SURE HE IS ON THIS FORUM ALSO... The DMV will obviously think I stole it or something so I doubt they can do anything. Would I be able to get a salvage title? I've had it for like 6 months so I could say it's abandoned. What do I do?! What the hell was I thinking?! FML.

Did I put this in the right forum?

Soup Nazi
08-12-2009, 05:45 AM
IMO, you shouldn't have bought the car, if the info on the title didn't match the person you were buying it from.

Giving it back to him was a bad decision as well. I'm not too sure how you would correct this problem.

Good luck

325irollin
08-12-2009, 05:47 AM
^ no joke. I only gave it back because it wasn't going to help me since it was signed. I'll be able to get it back I'm sure. I know who he is, have his number, etc etc.

adam s
08-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Right forum.

You're still screwed.

Killa_D
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
actually this happened to me once, what i did i went to the actually owner and talk to him he was nice enough to help me out he could just file for a lost title or get this application that states there was a mistake on the title idono if your state does it but i in tx you can but the only thing about that is that the original owner must sign it.

Future240
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Go to where you get tags and title in your city, tell them the situation, they will let you know what they can do which will let you know what you can do.

chibo
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Be careful, my friend ended up getting his ZX6R repo'd when he tried to get it registered after he bought it with no title.

0wn3r
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The guy I bought it from signed the title but never titled it under himself.

What? So....he signed as someone else?

You should have kept the check till he fixed it. Why has it taken 6 months?

!Zar!
08-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Just go to the dmv and show them all your documentation.

They'll have you fill out a legal form saying that you swear that the stuff you are providing them is true and all that jazz.

Then they will send out the title and stuff.

I've done it a ton of times.

I mean who would steal a car and then try to register it under their name?

GSXRJJordan
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd be worried he'd repo the car... if he has the title, and it's in his name, a bill of sale isn't enough to prove it's yours.

Don't be dumb people. Don't buy cars without titles and think you can drive it on the street.

BrownDogg
08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Yea, you shouldnt have bought the car until you took the title to the dmv and verified everything was good first

sinji
08-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I had this situation once. all i did was do a lien sale on the car and the guy i bought it from agreed with me in writing that he would never claim the car, so it became legally mine.

i would never buy another car without pinkslip ever again though.

goodluck!