PDA

View Full Version : z32 front brakes on s14

1stock240
08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Let me take a minute to thouroghly explain my situation. I have an S14 and recently did a 5 lug swap and added some G35 18's. I wanted to eventually do a z32 brake swap as my horsepower goal in the future will be around 300whp. This car will mostly see daily driving duty. I want it to be fun but want stopping power when needed. I already have a z32 parts car. It is a 90 NA that was mfg in late 89 so it has 26mm aluminum calipers. Another reason for wanting to change is I have issues with my s14 master cylinder. My rear pads wear down and have to be changed every 3-6 months where as my fronts are still thick. I think I have a proportioning valve issue. I bought rear calipers a year ago thinking this was the problem but like I said it is not. I am leaning towards just rebuilding the front z32 calipers and doing just the front upgrade as to not mess with the ebrake. The car is not for drifting and if it sees a track it will be for just fun. Oh and my car is currently auto so has bigger brake booster.
My questions are these. Just 26mm z32 fronts and stock rear setup.
Do I need to upgrade master cylinder? I heard conflicting opinions so far.
Stainless lines needed?
With just 26mm fronts will the bias be as far off? Most with the 30mm calipers say that rears need to be done as well. I am trying to avoid the rears if at all possible. I need some brake work anyway and with the other z32 parts car I am thinking this is the way to go to keep it simple and effective.

projectRDM
08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Stainless lines are never needed, but since the majority of conversion lines (all actually that I know of) are stainless, that's what you'll get unless you fit the OE rubber and short steel line from the Z32. Read up on the benefits of stainless braided lines if you're unsure what they are.

You also don't need to upgrade the master cylinder. Everyone has a different opinion of pedal feel, some like it rock hard, others like some room before tightening up, it's all a matter of opinion. If it's an automatic with the 15/16" cylinder you won't need anything, the 7/8" manual cylinder may feel a little weird to you. Again it's all opinion.

The bias is the same for either caliper, the bore and piston area are the same for either one.

p0onsta
08-12-2009, 07:50 AM
no need to do the rears.

top of the line jdm s14 and s15 have something nearly identical to z32 front, stock usdm s14 rear brakes. it works. you never want your rear locking up before the fronts anyways, and when you mess with the bias to "balance" the rear more, you run the danger of locking up the rears before the fronts when going through a turn. a danger which is very real when daily driving and seeing unexpected situations come up.

now if you were driving on a track and will be doing most of your braking in a straight line, trail braking into a turn while completely expecting what will happen, etc, then go ahead and give the rears some more stopping power.

As far as "stopping power" is concerned, the limit is your tires, and as long as you can lock up all 4 wheels, you dont need any stronger calipers. if you want better initial bite, get some good pads. axxis/pbr ultimates are cheap and aggressive as hell. also doesn't fade easily at all.

now if you need to slow down very aggressively very often such that the ultimates fade on you... then you need the z32 brake upgrade.

your rears needing replacement so soon... check the adjustment for your ebrake. you may be dragging it. or your front lines may be kinked/not bled. in either case, this should be your PRIORITY, since rears locking up before rears is never a good thing unless you're trying to ebrake drift.

now i DD and lightly autoX my s14, and i have the z32 front brakes...
i'm one of those types that can't spend money on simply OEM replacement, and i liked how the bigger brakes looked. that is my honest to god reason for putting them on. boo, i'm a ricer :duh:

you'll have to decide if you'll eventually need the capability or want it, and such and such.

i love my brakes, they do work well.

westly7
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
i've been through lots of thread and most of them speak if you have s13 then you need upgrade BMC but since you have s14 which is bigger than s13 i think you'll be fine.and braided conversion always looks cooler

projectRDM
08-13-2009, 08:08 AM
i've been through lots of thread and most of them speak if you have s13 then you need upgrade BMC but since you have s14 which is bigger than s13 i think you'll be fine.and braided conversion always looks cooler

Not if it's a manual. Both BMCs are 7/8". It's only the automatic that is bigger (and ABS, but there's only two ports on it).

1stock240
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah I have autotragic. Anyway, this answered a lot of my questions. And you are not ricer. After 5 lug swap and G35 wheels my brakes look puny. Anyway this will be my next step.

Another question. Pepboys and some other places have remanufactured calipers for the z32. I can either rebuild my z32calipers that I have which have a ton of miles on them or use them as cores for remanufactured with Lifetime warranty. At Pepboys it comes out to $100 dollars after trading the used ones in for core charge. So basically calipers are $50 each with a 65 dollar core charge. Any opinions as far as that goes?

EDacIouSX
08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
if you go that route, get the 30mm calipers. Also, I would recommend rebuilding any caliper before you put it on, what your problem is actually is that your frnot calipers are sticking on your stock brakes. That explains why the rears wear, the fronts aren't grabbing as much cause they are sticking..

anyway i would just go with 30mm and stainless steel braided lines. the master cylinder isn't too much of an issue i think.

1stock240
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
if you go that route, get the 30mm calipers. Also, I would recommend rebuilding any caliper before you put it on, what your problem is actually is that your frnot calipers are sticking on your stock brakes. That explains why the rears wear, the fronts aren't grabbing as much cause they are sticking..

anyway i would just go with 30mm and stainless steel braided lines. the master cylinder isn't too much of an issue i think.

Its like I am trying to read what you wrote but I can't stop staring at your avitar. OMG

projectRDM
08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah I have autotragic. Anyway, this answered a lot of my questions. And you are not ricer. After 5 lug swap and G35 wheels my brakes look puny. Anyway this will be my next step.

Another question. Pepboys and some other places have remanufactured calipers for the z32. I can either rebuild my z32calipers that I have which have a ton of miles on them or use them as cores for remanufactured with Lifetime warranty. At Pepboys it comes out to $100 dollars after trading the used ones in for core charge. So basically calipers are $50 each with a 65 dollar core charge. Any opinions as far as that goes?

Rebuilds vary. A lot of people had told nightmares about getting mismatched calipers, calipers with the emblem shaved off, or other issues. It's hit or miss.